LTH Home

help with my daughter's bday cake request

help with my daughter's bday cake request
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • help with my daughter's bday cake request

Post #1 - March 12th, 2021, 7:40 pm
    Post #1 - March 12th, 2021, 7:40 pm Post #1 - March 12th, 2021, 7:40 pm
    i asked my daughter what flavor cake she wanted for her birthday (she'll be turning 12), and she said she wants a banana cake with blueberry filling and grape frosting. ??? i can figure out the banana cake, and probably the blueberry filling, but grape frosting?! anyone have any ideas? i think she picked grape because she really likes grape fanta.

she originally asked for a grape cake, so i guess this is what i get for making her give me her second choice :(
  • Post #2 - March 12th, 2021, 7:47 pm
    Post #2 - March 12th, 2021, 7:47 pm Post #2 - March 12th, 2021, 7:47 pm
    milic13 wrote:i asked my daughter what flavor cake she wanted for her birthday (she'll be turning 12), and she said she wants a banana cake with blueberry filling and grape frosting. ??? i can figure out the banana cake, and probably the blueberry filling, but grape frosting?! anyone have any ideas? i think she picked grape because she really likes grape fanta.

she originally asked for a grape cake, so i guess this is what i get for making her give me her second choice :(
    try folding some grape jelly into a cream cheese frosting recipe. You may not need any sugar at all so I would just start off with some cream cheese and if you must butter but I prefer cream cheese frosting to just be tangy and not too rich with butter… I think this will work pretty well and it'll be a nice pale purple too.
  • Post #3 - March 13th, 2021, 12:08 am
    Post #3 - March 13th, 2021, 12:08 am Post #3 - March 13th, 2021, 12:08 am
    Not the answer you're looking for, but she might like these https://www.thekitchenmagpie.com/grape-soda-pop-cupcakes/
    I think this could be baked as 2 or 3 round layers.
  • Post #4 - March 13th, 2021, 11:12 am
    Post #4 - March 13th, 2021, 11:12 am Post #4 - March 13th, 2021, 11:12 am
    What a sweet parenting move! The above suggestions sound great! Here's another one: https://thetiptoefairy.com/grape-soda-cupcakes/
    I think the Kool-aid powder in the frosting is a good idea to give that artificial grape flavor she seems to like, without adding too much liquid. Normally I'd suggest testing for the possible need to reduce the other sugar, but heck, she's 12, go for it! For any of these recipes, you might also consider some food coloring to up the visual grapey-ness. My guess is that whatever you do, she's going to love it, because of your effort and love! Happy Birthday to your daughter!
  • Post #5 - March 13th, 2021, 3:51 pm
    Post #5 - March 13th, 2021, 3:51 pm Post #5 - March 13th, 2021, 3:51 pm
    I used to love to dye my blueberry muffins from the box mix with the can of tiny wild blueberries included in the box mix purple with the juice. I always poured juice into the batter. I think that would work for your cake.

And then I would start with justjoan's thoughts for frosting and perhaps amp the color with food coloring or a packet of unsweetened grape Kool Aid as suggested in those grape soda cupcake recipes. posted upthread.

Please take pics and let us know what you do. I would love to see the batter, and a crumbshot when it is done plus obviously the rest of how you and the birthday girl felt about it.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #6 - March 13th, 2021, 8:05 pm
    Post #6 - March 13th, 2021, 8:05 pm Post #6 - March 13th, 2021, 8:05 pm
    A further way to up the purple food color & artificial flavor: Sprinkle grape Fun Dip or Pop Rocks on top of the frosting. Maybe Pop Rocks could be mixed into the frosting, not sure if they would pop while mixing.
  • Post #7 - March 15th, 2021, 8:34 pm
    Post #7 - March 15th, 2021, 8:34 pm Post #7 - March 15th, 2021, 8:34 pm
    thanks everyone! i'm going to try the kool-aid route for the frosting. i think i've settled on a banana cake recipe, and a blueberry filling recipe, so hopefully all goes well.

her birthday is the day before easter, so it'll be a while before you see pics, but hopefully it won't be too ugly. i really hope that she doesn't insist on having an anime character as decoration, because i am no artist.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more