LTH Home

Middle Eastern savory pies?

Middle Eastern savory pies?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Middle Eastern savory pies?

Post #1 - March 14th, 2021, 8:15 pm
    Post #1 - March 14th, 2021, 8:15 pm Post #1 - March 14th, 2021, 8:15 pm
    I love the savory pies at the Middle East Bakery, particularly the eggplant ones. A few restaurants have similar things (usually spinach, sometimes meat, but not usually the wide variety that the Middle East Bakery has, though).

Are there other places to buy them around here that I haven't discovered yet? Preferably a grocery store/deli/bakery rather than a sit-down restaurant? Extra bonus for a place that offers curbside pickup, though if not, I am happy to go there once I am vaccinated. (A friend who does his grocery shopping in-person was kind enough to acquire this last batch for me. I swapped him for a loaf of homemade pumpkin walnut bread.)
  • Post #2 - March 15th, 2021, 8:10 am
    Post #2 - March 15th, 2021, 8:10 am Post #2 - March 15th, 2021, 8:10 am
    Eva Luna wrote:I love the savory pies at the Middle East Bakery, particularly the eggplant ones. A few restaurants have similar things (usually spinach, sometimes meat, but not usually the wide variety that the Middle East Bakery has, though).

Are there other places to buy them around here that I haven't discovered yet? Preferably a grocery store/deli/bakery rather than a sit-down restaurant? Extra bonus for a place that offers curbside pickup, though if not, I am happy to go there once I am vaccinated. (A friend who does his grocery shopping in-person was kind enough to acquire this last batch for me. I swapped him for a loaf of homemade pumpkin walnut bread.)

Middle Eastern Bakery has an especially good selection, true, and in general makes a good pie. I get a lot when I'm there. If you go to the Bridgeview thread, many of the places mentioned in that thread also have pies. In fact, it seems that it is a rule that if you have a Middle Eastern grocery, you must also sell pies.

Fresh Farms in Niles has started doing a lot of really good pies too, on a slightly different flavor profile. Oddly or maybe par for Fresh Farms, some of the pies are sold in the bakery area and some are sold in the deli area, near the prepared salads and feta cheese.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #3 - March 30th, 2021, 11:25 pm
    Post #3 - March 30th, 2021, 11:25 pm Post #3 - March 30th, 2021, 11:25 pm
    How about Sanibel or Ducan market on Kedzie?
    Lacking fins or tail
    The Gefilte fish
    swims with great difficulty.

Jewish haiku.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide