LTH Home

Crispy Panang Noodles

Crispy Panang Noodles
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Crispy Panang Noodles

Post #1 - May 6th, 2021, 11:54 am
    Post #1 - May 6th, 2021, 11:54 am Post #1 - May 6th, 2021, 11:54 am
    More than a decade ago, I travelled to Chicago now and then on business, and I ate Crispy Panang Noodles at several different Thai restaurants there (though I unfortunately don't remember which ones). Soooo good. I'd never seen it at any Thai restaurants around Boston, where I lived, or anywhere else for that matter. Missing it, I asked about it on that other food forum site, but without any real luck. Then yesterday, I came across this site for the first time, and saw that this is the crowd who would know about it if anyone does. So, here's what I'm wondering:

- Is this dish common on Chicago's Thai restaurant menus, or was it just a weird coincidence that I saw it at a few different places? Have you seen it in any other cities? If Chicago is the crispy panang noodle epicenter, why? Was there a particular chef or restaurant that introduced it?

- I want them! How can I make them, or convince a Thai restaurant near me to make them? I can look up recipes for panang curry, but what kind of rice noodles are used, and how do you get them to have those crispy, brown edges and chewy centers? They're crispier than sautéed rice noodles get, even if sautéing does brown the edges. So, I figure deep-frying must play a role. But they're not crunchy and golden like other deep-fried noodles.
  • Post #2 - May 6th, 2021, 1:46 pm
    Post #2 - May 6th, 2021, 1:46 pm Post #2 - May 6th, 2021, 1:46 pm
    Hi,

I looked up Panang noodles.

Long ago, we had a very active participant who learned Thai language enough to help translate menus. I remember he explained there were some Thai restaurants who represented regions of Thailand, which were not prefered by some of the Thai population here in Chicago. It was likened to food served in the Midwest to food served in the South. Many similarities, though some very distinct regional preferences. It can be the Thai restaurants you visit represent one region and not another, which could be why you cannot locate it.

I thought this quote from seebee rather interesting, "Tac's panang curry with fried noodles come to mind. Some thai restos label this "khaosoy."" Also a number of mentions of what appears to be crispy rice noodles.

You want to follow these excerpts to see if they follow your expectations.

Subject: In which I learn a lesson at Spoon
    seebee wrote: Right off the bat, Tac's panang curry with fried noodles come to mind. Some thai restos label this "khaosoy."

Subject: Oak Park Treasures?
    seebee wrote:Chicken Panang curry, extra spicy, with fried wide rice noodles. The server first tried to put up a fight claiming that she recommended the standard thin noodles that come with the dish until I pointed out that it was just a fricking difference in noodles. (I think the language barrier was the main issue.)

So, Teatpuller, maybe if you do Amarind's, and try to order stuff the way you like it, maybe they can come through for you. I agree that my order straight off the menu was not very good, but I've never been disappointed with their panang when it's customized how I want it. Noticeable difference in the texture as well - not watered down. If it's only a few blocks away, give it a shot again.

Subject: Evanston - need recs (and great places)
    kithat wrote:
    cilantro wrote:The Noodles Panang at Cozy Noodles are certainly a bastardization, but that is one delicious bastard. A very good, cheap lunch.

For me, Cozy is pretty much a one-dish place, but I've often wondered if they could be induced to cook up a respectable version of boat noodles, for example. The staff sure seems to eat some nice stuff.

I've enjoyed some pretty good meals for the money at Cozy's with consistent and kind service. One of my friends knows the owners personally from being a long-term regular customer. They have prepared at least one more-authentic Thai meal for my friend and his family, with some advance notice, I think. I'd definitely inquire there if there is something particular that you'd like to have.

Subject: Joy's Noodles on Broadway
    blipsman wrote:It's one of our regular delivery places because it's decent, it's cheap and they're quick. Food is nothing special, but nothing terrible... typical American Thai food like curries, pad thai, pad sie ewe, but nothing too exotic. Better eating in than delivery, although it's been probably 5-6 years since I last ate there. I like their Panang curry w/ crispy noodles.

Please report back what happens.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #3 - May 6th, 2021, 5:29 pm
    Post #3 - May 6th, 2021, 5:29 pm Post #3 - May 6th, 2021, 5:29 pm
    There are also restaurants where this is labeled "golden noodle soup" including Lai Thai in Morton Grove.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #4 - May 7th, 2021, 8:17 pm
    Post #4 - May 7th, 2021, 8:17 pm Post #4 - May 7th, 2021, 8:17 pm
    Always loved the crispy noodle panang from Noodles in the Pot. At one time you could order it there with duck to gild the lily. This was in the mid-to late-1990's.

2453 N. Halsted St.
    Chicago, IL
    (773) 975-6177
    Reading is a right. Censorship is not.
  • Post #5 - May 8th, 2021, 9:12 am
    Post #5 - May 8th, 2021, 9:12 am Post #5 - May 8th, 2021, 9:12 am
    Royal Thai Restaurant on Montrose has Crispy Panang Noodle on the menu. I believe its just pan fried Flat Wide Rice Noodles with panang curry and added protein like chicken (instead of using rice they substitute fried wide rice noodles).

Panang noodle
    The most popular Thai curry dish served with choice of meat in delicious panang curry. Served with crispy wide rice noodle.
    http://royalthaichicago.com/menu.html

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more