LTH Home

Mother's Day at home

Mother's Day at home
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Mother's Day at home

Post #1 - May 6th, 2021, 8:46 pm
    Post #1 - May 6th, 2021, 8:46 pm Post #1 - May 6th, 2021, 8:46 pm
    Hi,

I was 10-years-old was the last time our family went out to dinner for a major holiday. It was the mostly frozen Lasagna Florentine served in a restaurant was the last straw. We might go out in advance of a holiday or perhaps a day or two later, but not on the day-of.

After spinning ideas in my mind for days, it was settled to roast a turkey fresh from the freezer. Otherwise, I cannot forsee roasting this turkey any earlier than September or October. Yes, there will be mashed potatoes, stuffing and gravy. After that we will reach for more seasonal dishes with some rhubarb mixed into menu in one form or another.

What might be your plans?

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - May 7th, 2021, 1:18 am
    Post #2 - May 7th, 2021, 1:18 am Post #2 - May 7th, 2021, 1:18 am
    A shipment from Russ & Daughters is on the way.
    I used to source Vita Lox and bagels locally but Vita has turned into junk.
    Most of the New York sourced smoked fish comes from ACME in NYC but no mail order sales to the public. I have sourced Wild Western Nova from R&D with bagels and cream cheeses. Also in the shipment is the old pickled lox just because.
    My father always was very stingy with the lox and I thought it was for economy but he would have grown up with the heavily salted style.
    In the 1950’s everyone wanted Nova.
    I remember the great Deli’s on Long Island at the time,
    Hotel Pans filled with cream cheeses of every kind, Sable and the list goes on.
    Happy Mother’s Day!
    -Richard
  • Post #3 - May 7th, 2021, 8:18 am
    Post #3 - May 7th, 2021, 8:18 am Post #3 - May 7th, 2021, 8:18 am
    Cathy2 wrote:it was settled to roast a turkey fresh from the freezer.

Half-year Thanksgiving! Appropriate to give thanks to moms.

Funny, I was just talking to a private chef the other day. One of his customers recently requested a chicken stuffed in the Thanksgiving manner.
  • Post #4 - May 7th, 2021, 11:23 am
    Post #4 - May 7th, 2021, 11:23 am Post #4 - May 7th, 2021, 11:23 am
    Mother's day brunch at our house, will the be first time in over a year my family as been together. My parents (in their 80s) while vaccinated, are more comfortable in my home than a restaurant right now and we wanted to be able to celebrate the holiday (any holiday!) together.

Brunch items to include:
    -blueberry overnight french toast with blueberry/syrup. Using brioche bread.
    -2 quiches, 1 asparagus, mixed mushrooms and gouda, the other just cheese (cheddar).
    -bagel bar with lox. Hubby going to NY bagel and bailey Sunday morning. Will get GF from Whole Foods.
    -duck bacon from Harrison's poultry
    -thick cut pork bacon from Whole Foods.
    -vegan breakfast sausage
    -melon fruit salad
    -berry fruit salad
    -deviled eggs
    -bakery cupcakes
    -OJ/Coffee

12 people for brunch. All family, all vaccinated except 2 under 6 years old. Variety of diets (vegetarian, non-spicy, non-greasy, can't have seeds, watching gluten, don't eat pork) restrictions, so above menu works for most and is easiest on me.
  • Post #5 - May 9th, 2021, 11:29 am
    Post #5 - May 9th, 2021, 11:29 am Post #5 - May 9th, 2021, 11:29 am
    Everyone's bringing something and we're taking this frittata to our family gathering at my sister's house . . .

Frittata
    Sauteed Newsom ham, onion, mushroom with assorted cheeses, and garnished with chives.

Happy Mothers' Day! :)

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #6 - May 9th, 2021, 3:08 pm
    Post #6 - May 9th, 2021, 3:08 pm Post #6 - May 9th, 2021, 3:08 pm
    vaccinated in-laws came for brunch with us (also vaccinated) and we made:
    baked eggs with spinach and mushrooms
    orange rolls
    candied bacon
    fruit salad
  • Post #7 - May 9th, 2021, 3:10 pm
    Post #7 - May 9th, 2021, 3:10 pm Post #7 - May 9th, 2021, 3:10 pm
    annak wrote:vaccinated in-laws came for brunch with us (also vaccinated) and we made:
    baked eggs with spinach and mushrooms
    orange rolls
    candied bacon
    fruit salad

Nice, really nice. It was great having everyone together in person. First Easter, now Mothers' Day. I honestly don't think I'll ever take these occasions for granted again.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #8 - May 9th, 2021, 3:55 pm
    Post #8 - May 9th, 2021, 3:55 pm Post #8 - May 9th, 2021, 3:55 pm
    That was my mother's day gift to my mother. A promise to host a get together at my home monthly. I miss cooking for a crowd, and I don't even care if we just order in pizza and watch a Cubs game. It's been too long and it was so nice to be with family again.
  • Post #9 - May 9th, 2022, 2:08 pm
    Post #9 - May 9th, 2022, 2:08 pm Post #9 - May 9th, 2022, 2:08 pm
    Hi,

I bought a six-pound center cut pork loin recently at Woodman's, which I did not pay full price.

I made a full commitment to cook it once it was removed from the cryovac, patted dry, salted and put on a rack to dry against the refrigerator's back wall.

On Sunday morning while a cheesecake cooked, I made a final commitment on how to cook it. I first lobbed off a one-pound chunk to use for something else. I then followed an online video to cut open to lay flat in roughly one-inch thickness. To even it out, I used a meat pounder to get a roughly even size.

I spread on jarred pesto sauce and arranged thin slices of pistachio embedded mortadella, then rolled and tied it up. Of course, I remembered I forgot the cheese once it was all tied.

This roasted at 250 degree oven until it reached an internal temperature of 135 degrees. It rested while I made a pesto vinaigrette (well, added red wine vinegar). This roast was then seared on the stove.

Finshed pork roast was served with boiled and pan roasted red potatoes, and pan cooked mixture of chard, kale and spinach (it was a salad mixture).

Dinner finished with my Oma's Cheesecake, which I have not made in some time.

Originally planned to slice the leftover pork for leftovers, but it was reheated for lunch today with rice, cranberry sauce and salad.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #10 - May 9th, 2022, 7:04 pm
    Post #10 - May 9th, 2022, 7:04 pm Post #10 - May 9th, 2022, 7:04 pm
    Mother's Day here didn't go quite as planned. We were going to my brother-in-law's house to celebrate with my mother-in-law, but a two-degrees-of-separation positive Covid test put a stop to that. So, had to think fast. I made something I had recently heard a vague description of: Bread dough rolled in a circle, slashed, center filled with pizza-type toppings, then covered up like a coffee cake. The original was described as a massive round serving 8 or so, but I made individual ones. Here they are after filling:
    and after rising and baking:
    I got a little sloppy on bringing in the slashed edges, will have to look at some coffee cake diagrams next time.
    Dessert was a small chocolate bundt cake with another for a friend. Also a little sloppy but tasted just fine.
  • Post #11 - May 10th, 2022, 11:30 am
    Post #11 - May 10th, 2022, 11:30 am Post #11 - May 10th, 2022, 11:30 am
    We stayed home and grilled strip steak, made au gratin potatoes, and green beans almondine. I posted my meal on Facebook and Instagram. Going out to eat on holidays is a mixed bag. Its nice because there is no work to do but its crowded and expensive.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #12 - May 10th, 2022, 12:01 pm
    Post #12 - May 10th, 2022, 12:01 pm Post #12 - May 10th, 2022, 12:01 pm
    tjr wrote:Bread dough rolled in a circle, slashed, center filled with pizza-type toppings, then covered up like a coffee cake.

Works well in muffin tins. Make little minis and brush the outside liberally with garlic butter. You end up with a garlic knot/pizza puff combo.
  • Post #13 - May 14th, 2023, 8:01 pm
    Post #13 - May 14th, 2023, 8:01 pm Post #13 - May 14th, 2023, 8:01 pm
    HI,

After Easter's dinner of ham, I bought an almost 10-pound rib roast. I cut into four one-bone steaks weighing from 2- to almost 3-pounds. Last Sunday, I unwrapped the largest one and began to defrost and air-dry in the rear of the fridge. Today I began to roast it at 175-degrees. Once it reached 123 degrees, I pulled to rest and later seared on the stove.

I heated up the oven to 425 degrees with the convection running. I made (English-style) roasted potatoes to accompany the roast. I used duck fat from a meal earlier this year. I had a lot of small potatoes from Jewel, this looked like a good way to use up three pounds. These were tender on the inside and crunchy on the outside, but they were pretty hot when they hit the table.

There was asparagus, mushrooms in sour cream sauce and horseradish cream. Actually the horseradish cream was forgotten in the refrigerator, so I need to figure out how to use it. On the cutting room floor was a pineapple I intended to roast for a side dish, but by then my ambitions were fading.

My sister brought a lemon cake with poppy seed frosting.

As we ate dinner, we phoned family around the country to wish them a Happy Mother's Day. We sang a song that pretty much was a twist on the Happy Birthday song. Maybe not original, but it did the trick.

Happy Mother's Day to you and yours.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more