LTH Home

Magic Spoon cereals?

Magic Spoon cereals?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Magic Spoon cereals?

Post #1 - May 27th, 2021, 11:15 pm
    Post #1 - May 27th, 2021, 11:15 pm Post #1 - May 27th, 2021, 11:15 pm
    Curious to know what people think, know, don't know, like, dislike, love or hate about them. I'm not really a cereal guy. I tried one once -- my sister gave me the end of a box -- and I thought it was fine but didn't like it enough to purchase more of it. They seem to be making an aggressive and sustained play in viral advertising circles.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #2 - May 28th, 2021, 12:46 am
    Post #2 - May 28th, 2021, 12:46 am Post #2 - May 28th, 2021, 12:46 am
    I had never heard of them, and I looked at their website. It looks like you can only purchase the cereal on their website, and it is $10 a box which is way more than I am willing to spend. People have given glowing reviews for the cereal on their website though. I am not into keto though. If I want healthy cereal, I will fix myself a bowl of oatmeal.
  • Post #3 - May 28th, 2021, 9:46 am
    Post #3 - May 28th, 2021, 9:46 am Post #3 - May 28th, 2021, 9:46 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Curious to know what people think, know, don't know, like, dislike, love or hate about them. I'm not really a cereal guy. I tried one once -- my sister gave me the end of a box -- and I thought it was fine but didn't like it enough to purchase more of it. They seem to be making an aggressive and sustained play in viral advertising circles.

=R=

I've never had it but a couple of my friends loved it. Their only complaint was the price after the initial promo code.

BTW, podcasts seem to have a very high personal connection to listeners and i feel like their advertising influence is still being underrated. I know I've definitely bought a few things bc I wanted to support my favorite podcasts.

This is my uninformed opinion on advertising, which I know nothing about. :)
  • Post #4 - May 28th, 2021, 9:57 am
    Post #4 - May 28th, 2021, 9:57 am Post #4 - May 28th, 2021, 9:57 am
    I guess it depends on how desperately one misses breakfast cereal. I've never been much of a cereal fan (except for the occasional bag of granola when traveling), so this doesn't appeal to me. But I know people who can hardly imagine starting the day without that bowl of milk-drenched grains and sugar. So for them, I imagine, $10 is reasonable. It says it's about $1.95 per bowl and most high-protein meal bars are $1.50 to $2.50, so this is not an unreasonable price for that market segment -- IF it was something one wanted. Based on the number of Keto things on the shelves at Costco, I imagine Magic Spoon will do well.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #5 - May 28th, 2021, 10:32 am
    Post #5 - May 28th, 2021, 10:32 am Post #5 - May 28th, 2021, 10:32 am
    Frosted Flakes are life. If I want Kato I'll watch reruns of the Green Lantern.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #6 - May 28th, 2021, 10:42 am
    Post #6 - May 28th, 2021, 10:42 am Post #6 - May 28th, 2021, 10:42 am
    Not questioning their calculations for Net carbs, but just let me ask, how many people when they sit down for a bowl of cereal eat the suggested serving size of 1 cup?

If I want to eat a Keto friendly breakfast I would be fine with stuff like bacon, eggs, cottage cheese and a few berries, yogurt, etc.
  • Post #7 - May 28th, 2021, 11:12 am
    Post #7 - May 28th, 2021, 11:12 am Post #7 - May 28th, 2021, 11:12 am
    G Wiv wrote:Frosted Flakes are life. If I want Kato I'll watch reruns of the Green Lantern.

Unless he's migrated to the DC Universe, you'll have better luck seeing Kato on "The Green Hornet"; two episodes every Sunday morning 4-5am on WCIU, 26.4. You can watch while chomping down your bowl of Frosted Flakes.

Buddy
  • Post #8 - May 28th, 2021, 11:13 am
    Post #8 - May 28th, 2021, 11:13 am Post #8 - May 28th, 2021, 11:13 am
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:Frosted Flakes are life. If I want Kato I'll watch reruns of the Green Lantern.

Unless he's migrated to the DC Universe, you'll have better luck seeing Kato on "The Green Hornet"; two episodes every Sunday morning 4-5am on WCIU, 26.4. You can watch while chomping down your bowl of Frosted Flakes.

Buddy
  • Post #9 - May 28th, 2021, 12:35 pm
    Post #9 - May 28th, 2021, 12:35 pm Post #9 - May 28th, 2021, 12:35 pm
    Not wanting to hijack this but the mention of Costco/keto reminded me of the Keto granola they're currently selling. Really delicious.

https://costcofan.com/costco-keto-granola/
  • Post #10 - May 28th, 2021, 1:28 pm
    Post #10 - May 28th, 2021, 1:28 pm Post #10 - May 28th, 2021, 1:28 pm
    To me, this is the epitome of Frankenfood . . . engineered, unnatural, unnecessary and a bit scary. I think I understand about wanting to have something comforting that fits into a more disciplined lifestyle (e.g. you're paleo and you're having a craving). Personally, even in my cloudiest moments, I've never had a craving for Count Chocula or a facsimile.

But I also like to think that if I were on any sort of eating regimen, I could easily avoid foods like these and still stay on my path. Whole foods are not as easy to come by as they once were -- and there's usually nothing sexy about the way they're marketed -- but at the end of the day, they endure and they rarely let you down. They require some amount of skill, effort, time and kitchen infrastructure that, I guess, not everyone has.

=R=
  • Post #11 - May 29th, 2021, 9:13 pm
    Post #11 - May 29th, 2021, 9:13 pm Post #11 - May 29th, 2021, 9:13 pm
    My husband orders Magic Spoon semi-regularly, so I've tried a few different flavors. I like the taste of it just fine. However, there's something about the ingredients - I suspect it's the whey protein isolate - that gives me a weird foamy mouthfeel after I eat it. That's the only way I can describe it. That bothers me enough that I don't eat it regularly.

I do like that keto granola from Costco, though.
    "If this sauce was a person, I'd get naked and make love to it." - Sophia Petrillo, The Golden Girls
  • Post #12 - May 30th, 2021, 1:30 pm
    Post #12 - May 30th, 2021, 1:30 pm Post #12 - May 30th, 2021, 1:30 pm
    I have no idea what Magic Spoon cereal may be. Now I will wait and see how long it takes to bump into it.

After a visit with a friend a few years ago, I have become a cereal mixer. Lately, it is coconut Cheerios with Raisin Bran with milk. I always race to eat before the cereal wilts from the milk. This is especially tricky with Corn Flakes and Rice Krispies.

I will report back once I innocently bump into Magic Spoon cereal.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #13 - May 30th, 2021, 2:28 pm
    Post #13 - May 30th, 2021, 2:28 pm Post #13 - May 30th, 2021, 2:28 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:I will report back once I innocently bump into Magic Spoon cereal.

I don't think they sell it in stores . . . yet. A lot of youtube channels advertise it and offer discount codes. Maybe that's part of the mystique. I only tried the "chocolately" one, of which my sister gave me a partial box. It was fine but nothing I'd ever seek out. Maybe the other flavors are better but generally speaking, breakfast cereal isn't a category of food I really care about. As others have posted, it has some weird attributes and is about double the price of conventional cereals.

I'm definitely curious to know what you and other regular cereal eaters think about it.

=R=
  • Post #14 - May 30th, 2021, 10:35 pm
    Post #14 - May 30th, 2021, 10:35 pm Post #14 - May 30th, 2021, 10:35 pm
    Cathy2 wrote: ...I always race to eat before the cereal wilts from the milk. This is especially tricky with Corn Flakes and Rice Krispies.

Recently saw a creative yet simple solution: Keep the dry cereal in one bowl, and a cup of milk alongside. Grab a spoonful of dry cereal and dunk it in the milk. Eat and repeat.

And it only took a century of eating soggy cereal to figure it out.

Buddy
  • Post #15 - May 31st, 2021, 3:12 pm
    Post #15 - May 31st, 2021, 3:12 pm Post #15 - May 31st, 2021, 3:12 pm
    Buddy,

I will give it a shot, thanks!

CAthy
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #16 - May 31st, 2021, 3:18 pm
    Post #16 - May 31st, 2021, 3:18 pm Post #16 - May 31st, 2021, 3:18 pm
    I was just reading another article about them: they're sweet yet keto because of monkfruit powder and allulose. I'm not fond of the use of artificial sweeteners, even those extracted from nature.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #17 - May 31st, 2021, 5:40 pm
    Post #17 - May 31st, 2021, 5:40 pm Post #17 - May 31st, 2021, 5:40 pm
    Hi,

I thought I said this yesterday, but I don't see it.

I visit youtube and other places on the internet. I also don't look for recipes and ingredients to follow a certain diet. I think I am not identified as being remotely interested. My bumping into it will be surprise.

Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #18 - May 31st, 2021, 6:12 pm
    Post #18 - May 31st, 2021, 6:12 pm Post #18 - May 31st, 2021, 6:12 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

I thought I said this yesterday, but I don't see it.

I visit youtube and other places on the internet. I also don't look for recipes and ingredients to follow a certain diet. I think I am not identified as being remotely interested. My bumping into it will be surprise.

Cathy2

Interestingly, or maybe not, the two youtube channels I can remember seeing it advertised -- embedded by the content creators into their videos -- focus on whiskey and gear/backpacks, so not directly related at all.

=R=
  • Post #19 - May 31st, 2021, 9:11 pm
    Post #19 - May 31st, 2021, 9:11 pm Post #19 - May 31st, 2021, 9:11 pm
    Hi,

If you did prior searches for keto or health related food, zap!

All have had this experience of casually looking something up, then ads for that item follow them around.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #20 - May 31st, 2021, 9:21 pm
    Post #20 - May 31st, 2021, 9:21 pm Post #20 - May 31st, 2021, 9:21 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

If you did prior searches for keto or health related food, zap!

All have had this experience of casually looking something up, then ads for that item follow them around.

Regards,
    Cathy2

No. I don't see any ads on youtube because I have a premium subscription. These are product placements and sponsorships -- sometimes even built in as original content within the videos -- that any viewer of the video would see. As I posted above, these are made by the content creators, not the product marketers themselves.

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more