LTH Home

Historical Cookbooks - UCLA Archive

Historical Cookbooks - UCLA Archive
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Historical Cookbooks - UCLA Archive

Post #1 - July 9th, 2021, 10:28 am
    Post #1 - July 9th, 2021, 10:28 am Post #1 - July 9th, 2021, 10:28 am
    I came across this this morning.

The Cookbook and Home Economics Collection includes books from the Young Research Library Department of Special Collections at UCLA, The Bancroft Library at The University of California, Berkeley, and the Prelinger Library. These fascinating books take us back to an America in the early decades of the 20th century covering topics on cookery, textiles, family and home, budgeting, domestic sciences, and many other delightful topics.

https://archive.org/details/cbk?&sort=-downloads&page=1

I have looked at a couple of the books. They are printed in their entirety. What is great about it is that the software allows us to cut and paste unlike many .pdf files.

This will provide you with hours of entertainment.
  • Post #2 - July 9th, 2021, 1:16 pm
    Post #2 - July 9th, 2021, 1:16 pm Post #2 - July 9th, 2021, 1:16 pm
    Pretty slick! Thanks for sharing.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #3 - July 9th, 2021, 1:24 pm
    Post #3 - July 9th, 2021, 1:24 pm Post #3 - July 9th, 2021, 1:24 pm
    Wow, I could easily get lost in this link for hours. Thanks jlawrence01!
  • Post #4 - July 9th, 2021, 3:47 pm
    Post #4 - July 9th, 2021, 3:47 pm Post #4 - July 9th, 2021, 3:47 pm
    I think that the real value of this resource is that it is a great way to understand the cultures that made up this country.

One cookbook contained a recipe for mock turtle soup in a German cookbook that was pretty much identical to my grandmother's which starts with a calf's head. There were also some recipes for real turtle soup.

===========================

When cleaning out my bookshelf, I discovered a cookbook from one of the hospitals that I worked at on the Virginia coast. Honestly, I went through 250 pages of some of the worst Ladies Auxiliary recipes that I had seen. Them I found ten pages of excellent recipes featuring crabs and oysters.

I am sure that it will be kind of fun finding the 10-15 interesting recipes from each of these books.

==========================

One warning is that you will have to translate many of the recipes prior to 1960 into modern ingredients that are now available.

Enjoy.
  • Post #5 - July 10th, 2021, 7:01 am
    Post #5 - July 10th, 2021, 7:01 am Post #5 - July 10th, 2021, 7:01 am
    jlawrence01 wrote:I am sure that it will be kind of fun finding the 10-15 interesting recipes from each of these books.

I think 2-3 repeat recipes per cookbook is pretty good, and more rates excellent.
    jlawrence01 wrote:One warning is that you will have to translate many of the recipes prior to 1960 into modern ingredients that are now available.

1940's and 50's ingredients are usually available. Some name-brand products can be tricky, for example Spry, a popular creamed shortening. And sometimes can sizes are used intead of ounce measurements for canned goods. Some cookbooks had non-recipe chapters that help. Not as bad as the pre-1930's recipes with "butter the size of a walnut", etc.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more