LTH Home

Asian "style" coleslaw

Asian "style" coleslaw
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Asian "style" coleslaw

Post #1 - July 12th, 2021, 8:57 pm
    Post #1 - July 12th, 2021, 8:57 pm Post #1 - July 12th, 2021, 8:57 pm
    My mom gave me this recipe back in the 1980s. She got it from a friend. I have no idea where the friend found it, or if it was her own creation. I've googled for it, with no luck. So here it is, in case anyone wants to try it.

Asian Style Coleslaw

Cole Slaw
    4 cups shredded green cabbage
    1 cup shredded red cabbage
    1 cup snow peas cut diagonally (I sliver them, with a sharp gyuto knife)
    8 oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained
    1/2 cup sliced green onion (I used one bunch)
    1 cup toasted almonds
    Jicama is a good optional ingredient as are some shredded carrots.

Dressing
    1/2 cup sugar (last time I made it, I used 1/4 cup sugar)
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1/2 cup water
    6 TBLSP Rice vinegar
    1 clove garlic crushed (or garlic paste)
    2 tsp fresh ginger diced small (or ginger paste in a tube)
    2 tsp toasted sesame oil

Mix and save in jar.

Pour over the salad ingredients and toss, and toss, and toss.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #2 - July 12th, 2021, 10:35 pm
    Post #2 - July 12th, 2021, 10:35 pm Post #2 - July 12th, 2021, 10:35 pm
    I remember this type of dish being popular at the time for potlucks and the like. Where I lived there was a very similar one minus the red cabbage and water chestnuts, but plus broccoli florets. Possibly less sweet, heavy on the sesame oil.

And there was something similar with uncooked instant ramen added. It softens a lot as it stands and soaks up the dressing.
  • Post #3 - July 13th, 2021, 8:36 am
    Post #3 - July 13th, 2021, 8:36 am Post #3 - July 13th, 2021, 8:36 am
    We ate something very much like this all the time in Northern California in the 80's, especially the version with instant ramen crumbled into the salad (and some of the seasoning packet added to the dressing). The recipe must have been in something like the San Francisco Chronicle or Sunset Magazine...
  • Post #4 - July 14th, 2021, 11:37 am
    Post #4 - July 14th, 2021, 11:37 am Post #4 - July 14th, 2021, 11:37 am
    annak wrote:We ate something very much like this all the time in Northern California in the 80's, especially the version with instant ramen crumbled into the salad (and some of the seasoning packet added to the dressing). The recipe must have been in something like the San Francisco Chronicle or Sunset Magazine...

I still make a version of it frequently—I got the recipe from my ex-husband’s aunt and it’s a favorite. I use Napa and/or savoy cabbage in place of the regular cabbage, a small amount of orange juice in place of sugar, peanuts instead of almonds and soy sauce + the ramen mix in lieu of extra salt. And the crushed noodles are a must. I usually add cilantro and sometimes mandarin oranges. It’s delicious!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more