LTH Home

Food shortages -- in the US?

Food shortages -- in the US?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Food shortages -- in the US?

Post #1 - July 13th, 2021, 4:59 pm
    Post #1 - July 13th, 2021, 4:59 pm Post #1 - July 13th, 2021, 4:59 pm
    Who knows how accurate this is? Seen on Facebook: "PSA for anyone who eats in the US or Canada. This year’s wheat harvest is shaping up as dreadful. Durum, used for pasta and bread flour, looks to be the worst in at least 60 years. Soft White Winter wheat, used for pastry flour, and Hard Red Winter [all-purpose] are facing the worst harvests since the 1988 drought. This is a good time to stock up and hoard, since the news is not widely known. Pasta keeps just about forever and a doubling in price is not inconceivable. Same with assorted flours if you bake at home, except flours should be stored in a freezer to prevent damage from Indian Meal Moth and other bugs. Bread also freezes quite well, and will do just fine for at least a year, probably two. Canola oil is also likely to see a price jump, as the crops across Alberta and Saskatchewan have also been clobbered. It also keeps well for years.”
    Last edited by Joy on July 23rd, 2021, 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #2 - July 13th, 2021, 6:01 pm
    Post #2 - July 13th, 2021, 6:01 pm Post #2 - July 13th, 2021, 6:01 pm
    Joy wrote:Who knows how accurate this is? Seen on Facebook: "PSA for anyone who eats in the US or Canada. This year’s wheat harvest is shaping up as dreadful. Durum, used for pasta and bread flour, looks to be the worst in at least 60 years. Soft White Winter wheat, used for pastry flour, and Hard Red Winter [all-purpose] are facing the worst harvests since the 1988 drought. This is a good time to stock up and hoard, since the news is not widely known. Pasta keeps just about forever and a doubling in price is not inconceivable. Same with assorted flours if you bake at home, except flours should be stored in a freezer to prevent damage from Indian Meal Moth and other bugs. Bread also freezes quite well, and will do just fine for at least a year, probably two. Canola oil is also likely to see a price jump, as the crops across Alberta and Saskatchewan have also been clobbered. It also keeps well for years.”

I can only wonder how many rolls of toilet paper the author of that Facebook post still has in their home. Some people are the absolute worst. We saw it at the start of the pandemic. No surprise people are ready to jump and do it again.

Also, a quick Google search reveals that while there is likely to be less harvested than usual to drought, there doesn't appear to be anything to back up the claim that wheat will be hard to find, only that it would cost more.
  • Post #3 - July 13th, 2021, 7:55 pm
    Post #3 - July 13th, 2021, 7:55 pm Post #3 - July 13th, 2021, 7:55 pm
    Last year, we were warned of widespread meat shortages due to the pandemic affecting Tyson and other meat producers. Then six months later, we take a look at the annual reports and quarterly reports just to find out that the pork exports to China from Tyson reaches a historical high.

Umm, very interesting.
  • Post #4 - July 13th, 2021, 9:23 pm
    Post #4 - July 13th, 2021, 9:23 pm Post #4 - July 13th, 2021, 9:23 pm
    Yeah, the 'news' is nearly complete and utter bullshit. The primary bottleneck in the global food supply chain is on the transit side and there definitely are delays. But crop outputs and forecasts are largely average to above average right now.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #5 - July 14th, 2021, 10:13 am
    Post #5 - July 14th, 2021, 10:13 am Post #5 - July 14th, 2021, 10:13 am
    From yesterday’s WSJ:
    “Global coffee prices are climbing and threatening to drive up costs at the breakfast table as the world’s biggest coffee producer, Brazil, faces one of its worst droughts in almost a century. Prices for arabica coffee beans—the main variety produced in Brazil—hit their highest level since 2016 last month. New York-traded arabica futures have risen over 18% in the past three months to $1.51 a pound. London-traded robusta—a stronger-tasting variety favored in instant coffee—has risen over 30% in the past three months, to $1,749 a metric ton, a two-year high.”

The article has a brief but complete analysis of the causes of the price surge besides the drought. ”Two other major producing nations, Colombia and Vietnam, have had much better harvests than Brazil but are struggling with a different issue: Port delays have left beans sitting idle on the dock.”

It is almost as if they knew what they were talking about! So, which is it? Is it "stupid to hoard" or is it a smart way to plan ahead and protect both your family’s pocketbook AND that first vice of your day every day?
  • Post #6 - July 14th, 2021, 10:27 am
    Post #6 - July 14th, 2021, 10:27 am Post #6 - July 14th, 2021, 10:27 am
    I thought we were talking about US-produced wheat. :?

=R=
  • Post #7 - July 14th, 2021, 10:37 am
    Post #7 - July 14th, 2021, 10:37 am Post #7 - July 14th, 2021, 10:37 am
    Joy wrote:It is almost as if they knew what they were talking about! So, which is it? Is it "stupid to hoard" or is it a smart way to plan ahead and protect both your family’s pocketbook AND that first vice of your day every day?

Easy. It's stupid to hoard. And immoral, especially if the shortage is going to be especially severe (much more severe than the WSJ says or even implies).
  • Post #8 - July 14th, 2021, 11:17 am
    Post #8 - July 14th, 2021, 11:17 am Post #8 - July 14th, 2021, 11:17 am
    Hoarding causes other issues. Don't like it. Reminds me of Y2K. My boss at the time was convinced there would be trouble. We were talking and he asked if I had prepared by getting a generator, guns, food, water, etc.... I told him that if indeed there is trouble, I don't want to be the only guy in the neighborhood with lights on. I would rather be part of the crowd descending on his house, the only one with lights.
  • Post #9 - July 14th, 2021, 11:42 am
    Post #9 - July 14th, 2021, 11:42 am Post #9 - July 14th, 2021, 11:42 am
    Last time I bought coffee a few weeks ago at Jewel, they had a large can of Hills Brothers on sale for $4.99, and they had a coupon for $2 off, and so I got a can of half caff for $2.99, but I only had one $2 off coupon, and so I could not hoard. I think I could have gotten more $4.99 coffee, but Jewel puts Hills Brothers, Folgers or Maxwell House on sale at least once a month for $4.99. On a Facebook group I belong to though there are a few people that get more than one can for $2.99 by entering in somebody else's phone number at the register. I won't do that. I am still working on the can of Folgers half caff I bought last month for $2.99, and once I finish that this week, I will move on to the Hills Brothers while I look for another deal.

I will load up on stuff like toilet paper when I can get it really cheap, but a year ago, you were lucky to even find toilet paper in the store, and when I did I only took one package. Monday I did not need it, but I got a carton of Crest Gum and Sensitivity on clearance at Jewel for $1.99. I could have gotten another one and I was tempted but I decided to let somebody else have the last one. The same with the Head and Shoulders I got for $1.99, and the Ricola sugar free cough drops I got for $.99. I did get two of the Ricola though because it was such a good deal, and they had lots of them. This was in the seasonal aisle at the Chicago Ave. Jewel. I am still working on the six boxes of Puffs I got for $2.75 at the same Jewel right before the pandemic started. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #10 - July 14th, 2021, 11:58 am
    Post #10 - July 14th, 2021, 11:58 am Post #10 - July 14th, 2021, 11:58 am
    Ronnie Suburban says: "I thought we were talking about US-produced wheat. :?"

Yes and also Alberta and Saskatchewan Canada, two of the main wheat suppliers.
  • Post #11 - July 14th, 2021, 4:26 pm
    Post #11 - July 14th, 2021, 4:26 pm Post #11 - July 14th, 2021, 4:26 pm
    With the way that farming works in the US, crop yield and food supply are barely tethered. A lot of crops are grown just to get subsidies, so anything about potential shortages would be based on other factors like people have said.
  • Post #12 - July 23rd, 2021, 6:56 pm
    Post #12 - July 23rd, 2021, 6:56 pm Post #12 - July 23rd, 2021, 6:56 pm
    Whhhaaaa...? No taco sauce?
    "My husband is a Shift Lead," a user named PhoenixxFyre wrote. "Trucks are coming late or not coming at all. The last truck that came 2 days ago only fulfilled 1/3 of their order! He can't even go to a neighboring [Taco Bell] because they're out of everything too. Just an hour ago he texted me to say they're out of beef, sour cream, tomatoes, 10 inch tortillas, Cinnabons, Pepsi and Mountain Dew."

Out of Mountain Dew? Okay, now this has gone too far.
  • Post #13 - Yesterday, 10:08 pm
    Post #13 - Yesterday, 10:08 pm Post #13 - Yesterday, 10:08 pm
    ^^^^

Where?
  • Post #14 - Yesterday, 11:31 pm
    Post #14 - Yesterday, 11:31 pm Post #14 - Yesterday, 11:31 pm
    6 days ago, a sign was posted at Whole Foods Deerfield indicating that they were temporarily out of Topo Chico due to "supply chain issues," a phrase that now carries with it the connotation of being covid related. 4 days ago the sign was gone and the display was once again fully stocked with 12-packs of 12-ounce bottles.

Maybe the driver who was supposed to make the delivery went on a bender, stopped at a strip club and spent the middle of the week enjoying non-stop lap dances. I guess that technically speaking, that still counts as a "supply chain issue."

I'm not saying there won't be shortages and/or delays in all sorts of areas but I'm going to be skeptical, considering how easy it has now become for some businesses to hide behind the excuse of covid.

=R=
  • Post #15 - Today, 12:45 pm
    Post #15 - Today, 12:45 pm Post #15 - Today, 12:45 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Maybe the driver who was supposed to make the delivery went on a bender, stopped at a strip club and spent the middle of the week enjoying non-stop lap dances.

Does he need a drinking buddy?
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events