LTH Home

My zillion dollar condiment idea

My zillion dollar condiment idea
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • My zillion dollar condiment idea

Post #1 - August 14th, 2021, 5:25 pm
    Post #1 - August 14th, 2021, 5:25 pm Post #1 - August 14th, 2021, 5:25 pm
    I have, in the past, been the kind of guy who gives people hell about putting ketchup on a hot dog. Lately though I figure what the hell, live and let live, don't yuck someone else's yum, etc. Basically I'm trying to be less of an asshole. Anyway I had kind of a lightbulb moment this morning when scrolling Facebook--a ketchup recipe came across my feed, and I looked over at a big bowl of yellow tomatoes from my garden that I was unsure how to use, and BAM.

Camo-ketchup. For the person who'd like to enjoy ketchup on their hot dog discreetly in mixed company.
    Ronnie said I should probably tell you guys about my website so

Hey I have a website.
    http://www.sandwichtribunal.com
  • Post #2 - August 14th, 2021, 5:46 pm
    Post #2 - August 14th, 2021, 5:46 pm Post #2 - August 14th, 2021, 5:46 pm
    You're late to the game
    https://www.fastcompany.com/1779591/wha ... ect-purple
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #3 - August 14th, 2021, 6:24 pm
    Post #3 - August 14th, 2021, 6:24 pm Post #3 - August 14th, 2021, 6:24 pm
    Nobody's gonna look at purple ketchup on a hot dog and think, oh, that must be mustard!

You gotta think about the possibilities man...

Hey I have a website.
  • Post #4 - August 14th, 2021, 9:07 pm
    Post #4 - August 14th, 2021, 9:07 pm Post #4 - August 14th, 2021, 9:07 pm
    JimTheBeerGuy wrote:Camo-ketchup. For the person who'd like to enjoy ketchup on their hot dog discreetly in mixed company.

There is no "enjoying" ketchup on a hot dog, sneaking by on color and calling it kosher is like getting caught wearing your grandmothers underwear and using the excuse all your Jockey briefs were in the wash. (Not from personal experience)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #5 - August 15th, 2021, 12:08 pm
    Post #5 - August 15th, 2021, 12:08 pm Post #5 - August 15th, 2021, 12:08 pm
    Don't let Barry Levinson see this!!!
  • Post #6 - August 16th, 2021, 10:38 am
    Post #6 - August 16th, 2021, 10:38 am Post #6 - August 16th, 2021, 10:38 am
    HI,

I was a judge at the Mustard Championship at the Mustard Museum a few months ago.

In the yellow mustard (suitable for hotdogs), they had a mustard with onions and relish already stirred in. It was an interesting novelty.

When I am responsible for dressing my dog: it is chopped onions and mustard. When I go out, then it is Chicago-Style or drag it through the garden at Byron's.*

Regards,
    Cathy2

*I only went once recently to Byron's. I liked it, too!
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #7 - August 16th, 2021, 12:46 pm
    Post #7 - August 16th, 2021, 12:46 pm Post #7 - August 16th, 2021, 12:46 pm

I guess it doesn't really look very much like mustard

Especially once you start dipping your fries in it.

Is it just as sacriligeous to put ketchup on a Polish?

Hey I have a website.
  • Post #8 - August 16th, 2021, 12:58 pm
    Post #8 - August 16th, 2021, 12:58 pm Post #8 - August 16th, 2021, 12:58 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:...In the yellow mustard (suitable for hotdogs), they had a mustard with onions and relish already stirred in. It was an interesting novelty.

"Mustard Relish" was available at Steak & Shake for many years, their discontinuation of it is one of many reasons we've stopped going.

(service has been abysmal, they stopped letting you substitute another side for fries on their meal deals, there's always trash or food on the floor under tables when I've gone into the Randhurst store, and Culver's is only a little further away and 100X better)
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #9 - August 16th, 2021, 3:08 pm
    Post #9 - August 16th, 2021, 3:08 pm Post #9 - August 16th, 2021, 3:08 pm
    HI,

I was at a Steak and Shake last week in Indianapolis. The staff and customers wore masks. Nobody was allowed to use the bathrooms or eat in dining room. It was super clean.

To order you had to use a kiosk with lots of options for condiments (unless your burger style did not warrant any). It also allowed you to remove components from the sandwich reflecting how it would bring down the price.

I ordered an onion burger, though on the receipt it stated, 'Wisconsin Burger.' It was definitely freshly made, because there was a wait of a few minutes. The onion rings were pretty good, too, with a real onion under the crust.

The bun absorbed a visible layer of grease. Not having had a Steak and Shake for years, I wasn't sure if this was expected or exceptional. In any case, it was a delicious burger.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #10 - August 17th, 2021, 6:43 am
    Post #10 - August 17th, 2021, 6:43 am Post #10 - August 17th, 2021, 6:43 am
    Great idea! If our yellow tomatoes ever produce a decent amount, I'm going to try this. Dry weather has been tough on them.

Topic came up the other day - why are there so many types of mustard but all catsup is pretty much the same? The 19th century Brits had walnut catsup, etc. but we just have Heinz, Hunt's, RedGold, DelMonte and generic.
  • Post #11 - August 17th, 2021, 7:44 am
    Post #11 - August 17th, 2021, 7:44 am Post #11 - August 17th, 2021, 7:44 am
    tjr wrote:Great idea! If our yellow tomatoes ever produce a decent amount, I'm going to try this. Dry weather has been tough on them.

Topic came up the other day - why are there so many types of mustard but all catsup is pretty much the same? The 19th century Brits had walnut catsup, etc. but we just have Heinz, Hunt's, RedGold, DelMonte and generic.

I can't say why tomato ketchup is so vastly more popular than other forms of ketchup, but I will say that you can find banana ketchup in some Asian markets (Filipino markets specifically) and that there are a few less ubiquitous but available commercial versions of other ketchups out there as well--mushroom ketchup, carrot ketchup.

I've made mushroom ketchup myself based on a recipe I found for a sandwich called "Cheese Dream" that suggested mushroom ketchup as an accompaniment. Walnut ketchup sounds terrific too!

Hey I have a website.
  • Post #12 - August 17th, 2021, 8:49 am
    Post #12 - August 17th, 2021, 8:49 am Post #12 - August 17th, 2021, 8:49 am
    HI,

The very first Culinary Historians meeting I attended was September, 1995. The topic was Ketchup by Andy Smith who wrote a book with the same name.

News to me at the time: Why are there two spellings: Catsup or Ketchup? It is a transliteration from the Chinese name for fish sauce.

I brought to this meeting Concord grape ketchup made from whatever was left from making jelly. I remember people trying it and speculating how to use it. I remember only one: duck!

fifille made mushroom ketchup a few years ago, too, though I don't know what recipe she followed.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #13 - August 18th, 2021, 4:49 pm
    Post #13 - August 18th, 2021, 4:49 pm Post #13 - August 18th, 2021, 4:49 pm
    JoelF wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:...In the yellow mustard (suitable for hotdogs), they had a mustard with onions and relish already stirred in. It was an interesting novelty.

"Mustard Relish" was available at Steak & Shake for many years, their discontinuation of it is one of many reasons we've stopped going.

(service has been abysmal, they stopped letting you substitute another side for fries on their meal deals, there's always trash or food on the floor under tables when I've gone into the Randhurst store, and Culver's is only a little further away and 100X better)

I've always preferred "Hot Dog Relish," basically yellow mustard and sweet relish mixed together. My dad liked it and I followed after him. Always kept some around, until about 18 months ago it disappeared from stores where I used to be able to get it: Valli, Fresh Farms, Mariano's, Jewel all had it until then.

I found that it was listed as a stocked product in many stores, such as Target, but no longer actually stocked. Heinz and several others still make it; it seems to be more favored in the South.

We stopped at Woodman's on our way home from Wisconsin last month, which seems to stock entire product lines like no one else does, and sure enough they had it from Heinz, so I bought 3 jars to hold me for now.
  • Post #14 - August 18th, 2021, 7:04 pm
    Post #14 - August 18th, 2021, 7:04 pm Post #14 - August 18th, 2021, 7:04 pm
    Cabbagehead wrote:We stopped at Woodman's on our way home from Wisconsin last month, which seems to stock entire product lines like no one else does, and sure enough they had it from Heinz, so I bought 3 jars to hold me for now.

Keep it cold if you can. It's shelf-stable but if stored ambient, it'll darken over time and lose a bit of its zing.

Is it one of the 57 varieties? :P

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #15 - August 18th, 2021, 7:36 pm
    Post #15 - August 18th, 2021, 7:36 pm Post #15 - August 18th, 2021, 7:36 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Is it one of the 57 varieties? :P

=R=

I'd never looked at a list of what the 57 varieties were, and how many are still produced; I've seen old ads with some of the other pickle products. Wikipedia has H.J. Heinz saying he made the number "57" up--he already had more than 60 by that time.

"Hot Dog Relish" is not listed among the 1934 Cookbook products, although "Chow Chow Pickle" is. I grew up with Chow Chow; my mother made her own. It appears to be Acadian/Cajun in origin, which makes sense since both sides of my family are from Nova Scotia, the Acadians' home before they were dispersed.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more