LTH Home

What's with the price of...

What's with the price of...
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 20
  • Post #61 - January 24th, 2022, 4:36 pm
    Post #61 - January 24th, 2022, 4:36 pm Post #61 - January 24th, 2022, 4:36 pm
    jlawrence01 wrote:This is 2022, NOT 2019.

If you are looking for reasonable prices, you have to shop around.

You say that as if I don't know both those things. Yes, I realize that, and yes, I do shop around, which is why I didn't just buy that Duke's. I go to Aldi, Pete's, Shop & Save, Marianos, and some smaller places (Park Packing), and know when I see a good price and when I don't. Or go to Amazon. But I am observing an across-the-board raise in prices far higher than expected. 2019 was just over two years ago, and I picked that because it was pre-COVID. That's all. It is surprising and noticeable. Meats & vegetables especially. This time, two years ago I could get out of the grocery for the day on $20. This year, no major change in types of purchases, it's $30 or more. We can more than afford it, but I'm naturally frugal -- that's how I grew up -- and whenever I shop I won't buy something over here because I know it's a buck a pound cheaper at the other store, even though it's gonna cost me an extra half hour to forty-five minutes of time to buy it there. That's how stupid my frugality can sometimes get.
    Last edited by Binko on January 24th, 2022, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #62 - January 24th, 2022, 4:42 pm
    Post #62 - January 24th, 2022, 4:42 pm Post #62 - January 24th, 2022, 4:42 pm
    bweiny wrote:[What happens is that skirt steak gets the 50% off sticker slapped on 1-2 days ahead of the use by date (though not always available). The discount from $12.99/lb to $6.50 destroys any inflation impact.

I was in heaven the other day when I chanced upon a 5 pound sirloin tip roast at 50% off for a post-savings cost of $3.50/lb. I haven't seen that kind of beef price since, well, pre-COVID. Roasted it, sliced it thin on the deli slicer, and made Italian beef with it, as well as some Philly-esque cheesesteak. Days of food.

None of my other usual stops do the 1/2 or discounted meats, though. Only Aldi. I guess I could go to the Jewel, but their prices are so overpriced to begin with (IMHO) that I don't generally bother.
  • Post #63 - January 24th, 2022, 5:30 pm
    Post #63 - January 24th, 2022, 5:30 pm Post #63 - January 24th, 2022, 5:30 pm
    Binko wrote:None of my other usual stops do the 1/2 or discounted meats, though. Only Aldi. I guess I could go to the Jewel, but their prices are so overpriced to begin with (IMHO) that I don't generally bother.
    At the start of the pandemic Jewel was a great value for skirt steak, remaining at $8.99/lb well longer than competitors. But eventually they abruptly upped it to $10.99 and eventually $12.99. Fresh Farms was at $9.99 and have only gone to $11.99. I buy there over Jewel because it's a dollar cheaper and a slightly better cut. But Jewel has good lamb prices, only $9.99 for chops (inner, with the small interior bone (loin), not the handle bone (rib); Edit the handle/rib chops are $9.99/lb too now, even though they're labeled as loin chops). I'd check out Pete's, Shop & Save, Cermak, etc, but the only other options in the area are Whole Foods and Mariano's, both of which I consider to be trash. The Fresh Market at Edens Plaza occasionally has some decent stuff.
    Last edited by bweiny on January 24th, 2022, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #64 - January 24th, 2022, 7:33 pm
    Post #64 - January 24th, 2022, 7:33 pm Post #64 - January 24th, 2022, 7:33 pm
    Binko wrote:
    I was in heaven the other day when I chanced upon a 5 pound sirloin tip roast at 50% off for a post-savings cost of $3.50/lb. I haven't seen that kind of beef price since, well, pre-COVID. Roasted it, sliced it thin on the deli slicer, and made Italian beef with it, as well as some Philly-esque cheesesteak. Days of food.

I scored a few of those from my Aldi a few weeks ago. Mine were down to 2.75/lb, which is decent. I still see $2.99/lb as a weekly sale price for choice grade at a few Mexican mkts around town. The pre-vac seal makes it even better. Think I'm gonna make some jerky with mine. BUT, last week, mine had lamb loin choppies at half off. Came down to 4.50/lb which is a stock up price for me. Again, since they were already vac-sealed, it made it a bigger bonus. Since switching to a lower carb diet, I do an Aldi run once a week for 2 salad bags and 2 spinach bags, and well...3 bags of pork rinds,too :twisted: . I pop in on Wednesdays right around lunch time and see all kinds of funky markdowns. Also saw a stack of big ol' "Bacon Chicken Ranch" take and bake pizzas for like 2 bucks each - the 16 in ones. HARD PASS. (tho I did look twice before laughing at myself for contemplating.)

I shop Costco and Aldi clearance for sport on my lunch hour mid week. I truly don't get out much. Costco clearance is just fkn hilarious sometimes. My best was refrigerated, pre-marinated, vac sealed, tri-tips for like .97/lb. I think we ate those things for two years from the freezer.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #65 - January 24th, 2022, 8:27 pm
    Post #65 - January 24th, 2022, 8:27 pm Post #65 - January 24th, 2022, 8:27 pm
    seebee wrote:
    Binko wrote:

I scored a few of those from my Aldi a few weeks ago. Mine were down to 2.75/lb, which is decent. I still see $2.99/lb as a weekly sale price for choice grade at a few Mexican mkts around town. The pre-vac seal makes it even better. Think I'm gonna make some jerky with mine. BUT, last week, mine had lamb loin choppies at half off. Came down to 4.50/lb which is a stock up price for me. Again, since they were already vac-sealed, it made it a bigger bonus. Since switching to a lower carb diet, I do an Aldi run once a week for 2 salad bags and 2 spinach bags, and well...3 bags of pork rinds,too :twisted: . I pop in on Wednesdays right around lunch time and see all kinds of funky markdowns. Also saw a stack of big ol' "Bacon Chicken Ranch" take and bake pizzas for like 2 bucks each - the 16 in ones. HARD PASS. (tho I did look twice before laughing at myself for contemplating.)

I shop Costco and Aldi clearance for sport on my lunch hour mid week. I truly don't get out much. Costco clearance is just fkn hilarious sometimes. My best was refrigerated, pre-marinated, vac sealed, tri-tips for like .97/lb. I think we ate those things for two years from the freezer.

I love that even when I don’t see the top of the post with the name, I always know that it’s you, seebee. And always brings a smile, even on the most mundane topics.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #66 - January 24th, 2022, 9:19 pm
    Post #66 - January 24th, 2022, 9:19 pm Post #66 - January 24th, 2022, 9:19 pm
    Hi,

I have been loading the freezer for months, because price increases have been predicted for quite sometime. Presently I have to eat the freezer down to make room for anything else.

I always check out the discounted meats at Jewel, Mariano's and Woodman's. If there is a loss leader in something we like, I will at the very least check it out.

I also buy meat at Park Packing. Just before Christmas, Park Packing was selling pork spare ribs for 99 cents a pound. I bought two that I immediately roasted with onions and sauerkraut for some German meals. Half was eaten immediately and the other half was frozen for a future meal.

Woodman's has discounted produce daily at 99 cents a bag. Just before Christmas, there was a bag of lemons and oranges. Many I juiced and froze, made candied peel, and preserved lemons. Another trip, they had a bag with 10 cucumbers, which were made into salads. The half bag of bananas is always a great find. I have driven home dropping bananas off with people. You never know what prizes may be there until you go.

Half gallons of milk were 87 cents at Mariano's recently. Mariano's has reliably offered two gallons for $4 for quite some time. Jewel is on and off with this price level. I have 20 pounds of butter bought on sale, so at least less than $2 per pound.

I also check out the discount bakery, though I mostly buy hot dog buns and rye bread. I bake bread at home during the winter, but give it up during the summer.

I lost track of this woman who considered her savings from buying nearly everything her family needed and wanted via garage and rummage sales as her non-taxable income contribution to the household. You can consider your food cost savings in the same way.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #67 - January 24th, 2022, 10:02 pm
    Post #67 - January 24th, 2022, 10:02 pm Post #67 - January 24th, 2022, 10:02 pm
    We are heading into the Super Bowl season. This is a good time to find your local bakery outlet. especially the one that distributes Boboli products. Around the Super Bowl, they sell a box of eight crusts and the related sauce packages in a "party pack' that they sell to Costco.

When they are returned to the bakery outlet locally, they sell for $4 or less and sometimes as low as 2/$4.

One of my friends has me buy their entire stock and once a week, she prepare individual pizzas for the ten people who she cooks for. A Boboli crust for $0.50 is a great deal with the free sauce.
    =========================

Also, you can look this week for Aldi and Kroger locations to sell their remaining stock of spiral cut hams from the holidays for half price. In general, the hams are approaching their "sell by" date which is usually around February 5th.

Also at Aldi, they are marking down their imported cheeses - especially the Double Gloucester and the Stilton blue - to half price this week.

Hope that helps.
  • Post #68 - January 25th, 2022, 5:33 am
    Post #68 - January 25th, 2022, 5:33 am Post #68 - January 25th, 2022, 5:33 am
    As food costs rise in Chicago, viral burrito incident highlights who really bears the brunt of inflation.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/bre ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #69 - January 25th, 2022, 4:15 pm
    Post #69 - January 25th, 2022, 4:15 pm Post #69 - January 25th, 2022, 4:15 pm
    seebee wrote:
    I scored a few of those from my Aldi a few weeks ago. Mine were down to 2.75/lb, which is decent. I still see $2.99/lb as a weekly sale price for choice grade at a few Mexican mkts around town.

Mine may very well have been 2.99/lb, but I was second guessing my memory as to whether the original price was $5.99/lb or $6.99/lb. Just under three bucks a pounds sounds right to me now.

No luck today at Aldi, but I did manage to snag a pound package of ground pork for $2 (half off $4) after buying some at Pete's at $3.49/lb (shoulda gone to Aldi first -- they're only two blocks apart.) Also made the mistake of buying eggs at Pete's for $1.99, when they were $1.15 at Aldi. Okay, I'm not going to sweat 85 cents, but I should always remember to buy eggs and milk at Aldi. I remember those sweet days of a few years ago when I could buy eggs as low as sixty-nine cents a dozen. And this wasn't like thirty years ago. I know, a buck isn't anything, and egg prices are fairly volatile, but a buck here, a buck there, and now I know why I'm spending an extra 50%-75% on my groceries.

I always check the nearby Mexican markets, but I haven't found all that much price difference in the meats. Sometimes Park Packing on Ashland can have some really good deals.

I'm not sure I've seen Stilton at my Aldi, but I'll keep an eye out, as I always like to have some blue cheese around to snack on. These days, I've been quite fond of St. Agur (ultra creamy, almost cream-cheese like) which is pretty much the only reason I go to Mariano's. But my usual favorites are the basics like Stilton and Maytag.
  • Post #70 - January 25th, 2022, 5:08 pm
    Post #70 - January 25th, 2022, 5:08 pm Post #70 - January 25th, 2022, 5:08 pm
    Avocados seem to be going up fast.
  • Post #71 - January 25th, 2022, 8:12 pm
    Post #71 - January 25th, 2022, 8:12 pm Post #71 - January 25th, 2022, 8:12 pm
    Thanks to online shopping apps and websites it’s easy to cross shop to find the best grocery prices on items at different stores. If I was better at computer programming, I would create a program that could automate the process.
  • Post #72 - January 26th, 2022, 2:43 am
    Post #72 - January 26th, 2022, 2:43 am Post #72 - January 26th, 2022, 2:43 am
    Jim-Bob wrote:Thanks to online shopping apps and websites it’s easy to cross shop to find the best grocery prices on items at different stores. If I was better at computer programming, I would create a program that could automate the process.

You have to be careful because some of the prices that have been posted are those available in the stores (Walmart & Kroger) and those available through Instacart (Safeway & ALDI) which are often 12-18% higher than the store price.

The program WOULD be a blast.
  • Post #73 - January 26th, 2022, 9:10 am
    Post #73 - January 26th, 2022, 9:10 am Post #73 - January 26th, 2022, 9:10 am
    lougord99 wrote:Avocados seem to be going up fast.

It seems that avocados are at their most expensive in the weeks running up to the Superb Owl event. Guacamole is required for the party? Seven layer dip?

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #74 - January 26th, 2022, 10:07 am
    Post #74 - January 26th, 2022, 10:07 am Post #74 - January 26th, 2022, 10:07 am

Hass avocados = $.99 each at Jewel
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #75 - January 26th, 2022, 1:07 pm
    Post #75 - January 26th, 2022, 1:07 pm Post #75 - January 26th, 2022, 1:07 pm
    Giovanna wrote:

It seems that avocados are at their most expensive in the weeks running up to the Superb Owl event. Guacamole is required for the party? Seven layer dip?

Giovanna

Even in Arizona, they are fairly expensive. You can get the chicas 2 / $1. However the largest ones are going 2/ $4. the quality is not as good as a month ago.
  • Post #76 - January 26th, 2022, 4:06 pm
    Post #76 - January 26th, 2022, 4:06 pm Post #76 - January 26th, 2022, 4:06 pm

Costco and Sam's both almost always have Avocados reasonably priced. They come 5 or 6 to the bag. Only issue is that it's near impossible to find ones that are ripe enough to use immediately, only rock-hard ones. If you are ready to play the "Avocado game" and leave them on the counter for a few days to ripen fully then try and hold them in the fridge until ready to use the price is right.
  • Post #77 - January 26th, 2022, 9:18 pm
    Post #77 - January 26th, 2022, 9:18 pm Post #77 - January 26th, 2022, 9:18 pm
    jlawrence01 wrote:
    Jim-Bob wrote:Thanks to online shopping apps and websites it’s easy to cross shop to find the best grocery prices on items at different stores. If I was better at computer programming, I would create a program that could automate the process.

You have to be careful because some of the prices that have been posted are those available in the stores (Walmart & Kroger) and those available through Instacart (Safeway & ALDI) which are often 12-18% higher than the store price.

Yup, just like with food delivery apps, you have to be aware of all those fees! What stores require you to use Instacart for online shopping? I know Aldi and Costco for sure, but are there any others?
  • Post #78 - January 26th, 2022, 11:25 pm
    Post #78 - January 26th, 2022, 11:25 pm Post #78 - January 26th, 2022, 11:25 pm
    Jim-Bob wrote:
    jlawrence01 wrote:

Yup, just like with food delivery apps, you have to be aware of all those fees! What stores require you to use Instacart for online shopping? I know Aldi and Costco for sure, but are there any others?

As an example, take the Oroweat 16 oz whole wheat loaf. One week last year, Frys (Kroger) had it on sale for $2.99. I buy it at the Bimbo Bakery Outlet for $1.59/1.99, Safeway had it for $4.99 in the store and if you ordered it for delivery, you paid $5.49. Now you know why I am buying bread for the neighborhood.

I do not mind paying for delivery BUT I do object when they upcharge me for the groceries AND charge me a delivery fee AND make me feel obliged to tip the driver.

Fortunately, one of our friends orders and picks up groceries for 5-10 households including ours at Walmart and Frys on a weekly basis.
  • Post #79 - January 26th, 2022, 11:48 pm
    Post #79 - January 26th, 2022, 11:48 pm Post #79 - January 26th, 2022, 11:48 pm
    jlawrence01 wrote:I do not mind paying for delivery BUT I do object when they upcharge me for the groceries AND charge me a delivery fee AND make me feel obliged to tip the driver.

At least with Costco + Instacart here in Chicagoland, there is no delivery fee. Yes, the prices are jacked relative to shopping in person and there is a $35 MOQ but beyond that, there are no additional charges. Transactions default to a 5% tip but the customer can opt out, reduce or increase it (even after the order is delivered).

For us, I've found that using this service this actually reduces our overall spending at Costco because not browsing through the aisles all but eliminates unplanned and impulse purchases. I also save a ton of time not going to the actual store. Even a 'quick' trip to Costco is an hour, minimum. So, I do actually see some value provided in the fees I'm being charged by Instacart when I place orders at Costco.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #80 - January 27th, 2022, 1:51 am
    Post #80 - January 27th, 2022, 1:51 am Post #80 - January 27th, 2022, 1:51 am
    I braved the cold, and I went to Jewel tonight for the first time in nine days. I was completely out of bread and was really low on milk. I ended up buying more than I did last time and ended up spending $50 instead of the $35 I spent last time. I bought a whole lot more groceries though, and I saved 47% on my bill, including $8 with J4U. They had a deal where if I purchased seven things out of a list of items, I got the items really cheap. I ended up getting seven Lean Cuisine dinners that I paid $1.77 a piece for. I also got a half gallon of Dean's milk for $.79, and some produce really cheap. They had sumo oranges that were on sale for $.99 a pound. They are supposed to be a cross between a mandarin and navel orange. I also got some Rosen WW bread B1G1F as well as Thomas english muffins. There were only two things I bought that were not on sale.

I noticed they had some sort of lamb ribs that were $12.99 a pound. I decided to take a pass on those. I almost bought a pound of ground turkey that was on clearance for $2, but I did not like the way it looked.
  • Post #81 - January 27th, 2022, 10:47 am
    Post #81 - January 27th, 2022, 10:47 am Post #81 - January 27th, 2022, 10:47 am
    CNN.com wrote:The makers of top food and consumer goods brands plan to raise prices in the spring, dashing shoppers' hopes for a quick drop in their grocery bills.
    Kraft Heinz (KHC) said in a recent letter to its customers that it will raise prices in March on dozens of products, including Oscar Mayer cold cuts, hot dogs, sausages, bacon, Velveeta cheese, Maxwell House coffee, TGIF frozen chicken wings, Kool-Aid and Capri Sun drinks.
    The increases range from 6.6% on 12oz Velveeta Fresh Packs to 30% on a three-pack of Oscar Mayer turkey bacon. Most cold cuts and beef hot dogs will go up around 10% and coffee around 5%. Some Kool-Aid and Capri Sun drink packs will increase by about 20%.

"As we enter 2022, inflation continues to dramatically impact the economy," Kraft Heinz said in a letter dated January 24 to at least one of its wholesale customers that was viewed by CNN Business. The wholesaler shared the letter on the condition of anonymity to protect the company's relationship with its suppliers.

Kraft Heinz is the latest consumer manufacturer to announce plans to boost prices early in the year. Last week, Procter & Gamble (PG) said that it was raising prices for its retail customers by an average of about 8% in February on Tide and Gain laundry detergents, Downy fabric softener and Bounce dryer sheets. Conagra (CAG), which makes such brands as Slim Jim, Marie Callender's and Birds Eye, recently said it will raise prices later this year as well.

Oscar Mayer hot dogs and Velveeta cheese will get more expensive

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #82 - January 31st, 2022, 3:46 pm
    Post #82 - January 31st, 2022, 3:46 pm Post #82 - January 31st, 2022, 3:46 pm
    jlawrence01 wrote:
    Jim-Bob wrote:
    jlawrence01 wrote:

As an example, take the Oroweat 16 oz whole wheat loaf. One week last year, Frys (Kroger) had it on sale for $2.99. I buy it at the Bimbo Bakery Outlet for $1.59/1.99, Safeway had it for $4.99 in the store and if you ordered it for delivery, you paid $5.49. Now you know why I am buying bread for the neighborhood.

I do not mind paying for delivery BUT I do object when they upcharge me for the groceries AND charge me a delivery fee AND make me feel obliged to tip the driver.

Fortunately, one of our friends orders and picks up groceries for 5-10 households including ours at Walmart and Frys on a weekly basis.

I don’t use the grocery delivery services now. I used them a couple of times when the pandemic first hit and with the fees and tip, groceries came out to be around 30% more expensive. I then switched over to online shopping with in store pick up since it’s free at most places with a minimum of usually $35. I can see how grocery delivery would be a god send to the elderly, people with mobility issues and people without cars. It looks like Peapod ended their online grocery business in February 2020 right before lockdown. If they waited a few more months, maybe they would have continued their online grocery delivery when a lot of people didn’t leave their house.
  • Post #83 - February 1st, 2022, 6:55 pm
    Post #83 - February 1st, 2022, 6:55 pm Post #83 - February 1st, 2022, 6:55 pm
    Jim-Bob wrote:I don’t use the grocery delivery services now. I used them a couple of times when the pandemic first hit and with the fees and tip, groceries came out to be around 30% more expensive. I then switched over to online shopping with in store pick up since it’s free at most places with a minimum of usually $35. .

Our friend do weekly pick-ups on Sundays at Walmart and Frys. She shops for about tem households so that we always hit the $35 minimums. Then, I head to Fry's the following Tuesday to pick up the items that they are out of on Sunday. In the last couple months, they seem to be out of their advertised specials which this week was 18 eggs for $0.97, limit 5.
  • Post #84 - February 5th, 2022, 6:17 pm
    Post #84 - February 5th, 2022, 6:17 pm Post #84 - February 5th, 2022, 6:17 pm
    Hi,

I was at Lewis Fresh Market in Waukegan on Grand Avenue west of Green Bay Road.

They were offering small chicken wings for $2.99 per pound. They also offered two other chicken wings for $3.99 and $5.99 per pound. The two more expensive offerings were nearly arranged on foam trays. Only deeper into the meat department did I find the whole small wings in a bag priced at $2.99 per pound. I also located party wings for $3.99 per pound.

I ended up buying no groceries there. I did visit their food court. I purchased two tacos: tripas (small intestine) and al Pasteur with meat cut from a rotating cone topped with a pineapple. The tripas had the texture of rubber bands, I may ask them to chop it up next time.

The owners of Lewis Fresh are Greek, there was a gyro spit rotating next to the al Pasteur. I have not tried their offerings yet.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #85 - February 21st, 2022, 4:50 pm
    Post #85 - February 21st, 2022, 4:50 pm Post #85 - February 21st, 2022, 4:50 pm
    "McDonald’s Big Mac Is Outpacing Cost of Living, Price up 40%"
    The price of a McDonald’s Big Mac burger has risen 40% over the last 10 years, CNBC reported, and because its price incorporates many economic factors, many believe this popular fast food item is one way to understand current inflation rates and purchasing power of the U.S. dollar.

CNBC reported that the burger costs an average of $6.05 in the U.S., a 40% increase over the last 10 years. Between Dec. 2020 and Dec. 2021, the annual inflation rate accelerated to 7%. During the same year, the price of a Big Mac also jumped at the same rate. If you’re purchasing a Big Mac meal with fries and a drink, you could end up paying $8 to $10 depending on where you live, CNBC said.

https://www.yahoo.com/video/inflation-a ... 11194.html
  • Post #86 - February 22nd, 2022, 8:50 pm
    Post #86 - February 22nd, 2022, 8:50 pm Post #86 - February 22nd, 2022, 8:50 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

They were offering small chicken wings for $2.99 per pound. They also offered two other chicken wings for $3.99 and $5.99 per pound. The two more expensive offerings were nearly arranged on foam trays. Only deeper into the meat department did I find the whole small wings in a bag priced at $2.99 per pound. I also located party wings for $3.99 per pound.

Regards,
    Cathy2

I headed around to all of the local supermarkets the days after the Super Bowl. I bought a large platter of LARGE smoked wings with 8 oz of ranch dressing for $5. I took the
    ranch dressing and added some blue cheese and some other ingredients to make a good blue cheese dressing. Then, I took the wings, placed them in the air fryer until they were crisp and tossed half of them in buffalo hot sauce and half in a sweet chili sauce.
  • Post #87 - February 23rd, 2022, 7:01 pm
    Post #87 - February 23rd, 2022, 7:01 pm Post #87 - February 23rd, 2022, 7:01 pm
    It is not a big deal, and I will continue to buy it there, but Whole Foods has raised the price of their 32 ounce 365 organic yogurt to $3.19. It was $2.99 the last time I bought it. I buy it there when nobody else has plain yogurt on sale for less. Aldi's has plain yogurt for less money, but it is not organic, and it is not as good. I did have a personalized price of $1.99 for Jewel's store brand yogurt, but they were out of the low fat yogurt that I buy.

BTW- Whole Foods is going to have their Italian parmesan on sale 20% off 2/25-2/27. I just bought a half a pound at the regular price of $21.99 a pound last week. It keeps for quite a while though, and so I will buy some more this weekend. It is so much better than domestic parmesan, and the only domestic parmesan Whole Foods has, is $15.99 a pound. The grated parmesan is cheaper though.
  • Post #88 - February 23rd, 2022, 9:18 pm
    Post #88 - February 23rd, 2022, 9:18 pm Post #88 - February 23rd, 2022, 9:18 pm
    When I was at Jewel yesterday, bananas were $.69, and organic bananas were $.79 a pound. There was a sign at the banana display that due to inclement weather bananas were greener than normal and were more expensive. Bananas were still $.59 a pound for conventional and $.69 a pound for organic ones at Whole Foods, and they looked better than the ones at Jewel. I got a personalized price today for $.57 for organic bananas at Jewel. I did not even see any organic bananas at Jewel yesterday. Does anybody have any idea how much bananas are at Aldi's right now?
  • Post #89 - February 25th, 2022, 9:38 pm
    Post #89 - February 25th, 2022, 9:38 pm Post #89 - February 25th, 2022, 9:38 pm
    HI,

At Park Packing this week, large-to-jumbo chicken wings are $2.99 a pound. These would likely fit the bill for making Hmong stuffed chicken wings. Pork spare ribs are 99 cents per pound. Even though it is high, I have seen worse, oxtails are $5.99 a pound.

I track the price of heavy cream, because I buy it with some regularity. Dean's heavy cream at Woodman's was $3.29 in December. In January, it had climbed to $3.89. Yesterday, I bought a container for $4.59.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #90 - February 26th, 2022, 5:26 pm
    Post #90 - February 26th, 2022, 5:26 pm Post #90 - February 26th, 2022, 5:26 pm
    I was just at Aldi's on Thursday, and bananas were $.48 a pound, and bananas were $.59 and $.79 for organic at the Kosher Jewel on Howard. 1% milk at Aldi's was $2.88 a gallon. It was $2.69 at Target, and $2.79 at the Kosher Jewel. Milk was $2.99 a gallon at the Wilmette Green Bay store on Tuesday, and bananas were $.69 and $.79 at that store. They have higher prices on staples than any of the Evanston Jewel stores do.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more