LTH Home

Joel and Sue's Holiday Party 2021

Joel and Sue's Holiday Party 2021
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Joel and Sue's Holiday Party 2021

Post #1 - December 13th, 2021, 11:28 am
    Post #1 - December 13th, 2021, 11:28 am Post #1 - December 13th, 2021, 11:28 am
    It's been a challenging year and a half, so this year's theme was "All the holidays we've missed." Because the what-have-you still isn't over, we limited attendance, and asked people to pick a two-hour window (although the last group hung around longer), to stay safe. Extra serving utensils on the buffet, switched out platters, etc. at the shift change.

Project management skills paid off, and even though we were flying without my sons and their spouses as galley slaves, we were ready with all but two dishes when the first people arrived.

The Menu:

New Year's Day: Hot Crab and Artichoke Dip

Chinese New Year - Chicken Wings in the style of Peking Duck

Valentines Day - Cocoa Rubbed Pork Tenderloin
    A Michael Ciarello recipe, knocked down the cinnamon and increased the cocoa with nibs toasted and ground. Great simple sear-and-roast recipe, came out perfect and juicy.

Saint Patrick's Day - Reuben Egg Rolls
    Homemade Russian Dressing not pictured

Easter - Bunny Deviled Eggs
    Pickled carrots, yolks flavored with pickling spices

Ramadan Eid - Lamb and Pistachio Meatballs
    When first cooked, these had a crispy, almost falafel-like exterior from the bulgur and nuts, but softened quite a bit from simmering all day in a tomato/broth sauce.

Memorial Day - Mediterranean Picnic Potato Salad
    Feta, mint, basil, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, lemon-olive oil dressing. Made waaaay too much of this, gave away more than a gallon at Sue's church the next morning.

Independence Day - Little Hot Dog Things
    Vienna minis, Pilsbury crescents

Rosh Hashanah - Beef and Potato/Cheese Knishes

Talk Like a Pirate Day - Cheese Plank
    Camenberrrrrr, Havarrrrrti, Chedarrrr with peppers, Blue(beard), spiced nuts, spiced crackers, jam

Thanksgiving - BBQ Turkey Bread
    Leftover thanksgiving smoked turkey, homemade cranberry barbecue sauce, onions, sweet potato, in a crust with cornmeal, sage and smoked gouda. We've got a whole ring left. Riff off a Nicole Routhier "Cooking Under Wraps" recipe I'd done before.

Christmas - Red Pork and Green Chile Cheese Tamales
    Bought commercial tamale dough used only for the pork because it contained lard; the red salsa was from the dried chiles and broth the pork simmered in; the green chiles were Hatch from the back of the freezer from a previous trip to NM.

Cookies
    Bottom Front: Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies, Chocolate Crinkle, Pecan Crescent; Middle Front: Peppermint Thumbprint, Lemon Pecan Sandwich; Top Front: Cheese and Apricot Kolaches; Bottom Back: Cranberry Oat Bars, Millionaire Shortbread; Middle Back: Chocolate Pinwheel, Swedish Spice; Top Back: Pistachio, Salted Nutbars
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #2 - December 13th, 2021, 11:45 am
    Post #2 - December 13th, 2021, 11:45 am Post #2 - December 13th, 2021, 11:45 am
    :shock: Yum!
  • Post #3 - December 13th, 2021, 12:06 pm
    Post #3 - December 13th, 2021, 12:06 pm Post #3 - December 13th, 2021, 12:06 pm
    You and Sue are so creative. So impressive!
    -Mary
  • Post #4 - December 13th, 2021, 4:33 pm
    Post #4 - December 13th, 2021, 4:33 pm Post #4 - December 13th, 2021, 4:33 pm
    As usual - WOW!
  • Post #5 - December 27th, 2021, 9:23 pm
    Post #5 - December 27th, 2021, 9:23 pm Post #5 - December 27th, 2021, 9:23 pm
    Ohmigawd. I am stunned by the amount of diligent work you executed for this banquet. :shock:
    I do not believe anybody needs to go this far.
    I would have dined on a significant number of the prepared items.
    Please accept my commendation to you. :D
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #6 - December 27th, 2021, 10:10 pm
    Post #6 - December 27th, 2021, 10:10 pm Post #6 - December 27th, 2021, 10:10 pm
    pudgym29 wrote: Ohmigawd. I am stunned by the amount of diligent work you executed for this banquet. :shock:
    I do not believe anybody needs to go this far.
    I would have dined on a significant number of the prepared items.
    Please accept my commendation to you. :D

Thanks. It's a challenge. It takes project management, an extra freezer, and a willingness to kill our social life for several weeks before.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #7 - December 28th, 2021, 12:17 pm
    Post #7 - December 28th, 2021, 12:17 pm Post #7 - December 28th, 2021, 12:17 pm
    Wow -- so clever, so thoughtful -- and, knowing you, I'm certain so delicious. Hope you had a great time. And hope next year you can spread out the holidays a little. :)
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #8 - December 29th, 2021, 11:36 am
    Post #8 - December 29th, 2021, 11:36 am Post #8 - December 29th, 2021, 11:36 am
    Looks great. Good cooking from Sue and Joel.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more