LTH Home

The Wok - J. Kenji Lopez-Alt

The Wok - J. Kenji Lopez-Alt
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • The Wok - J. Kenji Lopez-Alt

Post #1 - March 9th, 2022, 8:55 am
    Post #1 - March 9th, 2022, 8:55 am Post #1 - March 9th, 2022, 8:55 am
    I am a huge fan of Kenji. My kids pre-ordered this book for me for X-mas. It came yesterday. I have not cooked anything yet, but thumbing through the book, it looks excellent.
  • Post #2 - March 9th, 2022, 9:20 am
    Post #2 - March 9th, 2022, 9:20 am Post #2 - March 9th, 2022, 9:20 am
    I took a look at the reviews for the book on Amazon, and the only negative reviews were from two people that hated the pictures.
  • Post #3 - March 9th, 2022, 12:34 pm
    Post #3 - March 9th, 2022, 12:34 pm Post #3 - March 9th, 2022, 12:34 pm
    Our copy came last week and we're excited to dive in!
  • Post #4 - March 9th, 2022, 12:54 pm
    Post #4 - March 9th, 2022, 12:54 pm Post #4 - March 9th, 2022, 12:54 pm
    I was running errands yesterday with NPR on the radio and caught just five minutes of the end of an interview with someone that turned out to be Kenji! He was hawking his new book. I assume the interview might be available online somewhere? Did anyone else hear it?
  • Post #5 - March 9th, 2022, 3:19 pm
    Post #5 - March 9th, 2022, 3:19 pm Post #5 - March 9th, 2022, 3:19 pm
    Joy wrote:I was running errands yesterday with NPR on the radio and caught just five minutes of the end of an interview with someone that turned out to be Kenji! He was hawking his new book. I assume the interview might be available online somewhere? Did anyone else hear it?

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/08/10851613 ... -in-russia
  • Post #6 - March 15th, 2022, 1:02 pm
    Post #6 - March 15th, 2022, 1:02 pm Post #6 - March 15th, 2022, 1:02 pm
    After several bad decisions, I like to preview any potential cook book purchases until I can get my hands on a copy. I have it on the CPL wait list and can hardly wait until it becomes available.
  • Post #7 - April 24th, 2022, 8:16 am
    Post #7 - April 24th, 2022, 8:16 am Post #7 - April 24th, 2022, 8:16 am
    Picked it up at a discount at Costco. The book has some very good preface material, even though I've been through several Asian cookbooks and general cooking books. So far, I haven't cooked anything directly from this but used his marinade techniques: rinsing, massaging, and applying baking soda to help keep meat tender - all new to me, but made for a great beef with white onion stir-fry, close to a proustian memory.

It seems like a book that I will read, but not use the recipes, just the techniques. I will probably end up passing it on to someone else after that point because I will have learned from it but likely won't reference it.

The one thing I wish was different, is that he had used the pinyin tone marks on the Chinese words (and included the hanzi characters), because I'm trying to learn Mandarin. It's strange, because he does use all the diacritics on the Vietnamese words.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #8 - April 24th, 2022, 5:22 pm
    Post #8 - April 24th, 2022, 5:22 pm Post #8 - April 24th, 2022, 5:22 pm
    I bought the book a few weeks ago (mail order) and I just can't get past the poor layout design and font choices. I find it very difficult to read. The layout of recipes is not consistent. So far, I've found the ingredients list in three different locations in the recipes. Maybe I can get past all that later, but right now it isn't high on my read list. Happy I didn't pay list price for it.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #9 - April 25th, 2022, 7:29 am
    Post #9 - April 25th, 2022, 7:29 am Post #9 - April 25th, 2022, 7:29 am
    I don't have a problem with the format, mainly because I'm looking at it as a "reading" cookbook, not a "cook from" cookbook.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #10 - April 25th, 2022, 12:30 pm
    Post #10 - April 25th, 2022, 12:30 pm Post #10 - April 25th, 2022, 12:30 pm
    Skimmed it at my local library (skokie had 3 copies on display). I get the complaint on font/layout.

In addition, the book was really heavy. maybe the black cover made it seem smaller than it really was?
  • Post #11 - April 26th, 2022, 10:49 am
    Post #11 - April 26th, 2022, 10:49 am Post #11 - April 26th, 2022, 10:49 am
    I now have my library copy and mainly find the book to be uneven, badly laid out and needs a good editing. Samples are:

text on a page with a note to say "see page xxx" for more information, but that's the page I'm on??

How many pages do you really need on how to cut up a chicken - most people probably just go to the store are buy parts.

Much of it seems redundant. There may be something like a bunch of pages on making dumplings, with most of that same information repeated pretty much word for word with the individual recipes.

The photos seem mostly OK in the copy I have - I wonder if there was a 2nd printing.
  • Post #12 - April 27th, 2022, 1:08 pm
    Post #12 - April 27th, 2022, 1:08 pm Post #12 - April 27th, 2022, 1:08 pm
    There is a nice interview with Kenji in today's Tribune Health and Food section. Original source of the interview was Associated Press:
    https://apnews.com/article/entertainment-lifestyle-chefs-cooking-76b846692bd70357a57f2bde328c5b75

The Trib article also gives the recipe for Kenji's Momma's Mapo Tofu with a big photo of the finished dish that is inspiring me! The recipe calls for ground beef but I have some ground lamb in the freezer that I am sure would play very nicely with the other ingredients!
  • Post #13 - April 27th, 2022, 4:58 pm
    Post #13 - April 27th, 2022, 4:58 pm Post #13 - April 27th, 2022, 4:58 pm
    Joy wrote:...The Trib article also gives the recipe for Kenji's Momma's Mapo Tofu with a big photo of the finished dish that is inspiring me! The recipe calls for ground beef but I have some ground lamb in the freezer that I am sure would play very nicely with the other ingredients!

I took one look at that recipe and went, "Nope."
    Not a chile in the whole thing, no black beans. That's not Mapo.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #14 - April 28th, 2022, 7:22 am
    Post #14 - April 28th, 2022, 7:22 am Post #14 - April 28th, 2022, 7:22 am
    JoelF wrote:
    Joy wrote:...The Trib article also gives the recipe for Kenji's Momma's Mapo Tofu with a big photo of the finished dish that is inspiring me! The recipe calls for ground beef but I have some ground lamb in the freezer that I am sure would play very nicely with the other ingredients!

If it's his mom's recipe, I'm assuming he was going for the Japanese take on mapo tofu which is much less spicy and adds sweetness. That's the version I grew up eating.
  • Post #15 - April 28th, 2022, 9:00 am
    Post #15 - April 28th, 2022, 9:00 am Post #15 - April 28th, 2022, 9:00 am
    I suppose the ideas on baking soda/beef and how to cut up a chicken may have been recycled from his time at ATK/Cooks Illustrated. Not that that's a bad thing, nearly all cookbooks are incremental knowledge.
    Planning to reserve at our library once I clear the overdue books. With the new no-fine policy we tend to keep them overlong.
  • Post #16 - April 28th, 2022, 3:16 pm
    Post #16 - April 28th, 2022, 3:16 pm Post #16 - April 28th, 2022, 3:16 pm
    Headline on recipe in Tribune PRINT VERSION:
    MY MOM'S JAPANESE-STYLE MAPO TOFU

Next text:
    This version of mapo tofu is similar to what J. Kenji Lopez-Alt ate growing up, though instead of plain ground beef his mom would use the dish as an opportunity to use up leftover dumpling filling. Unlike the numbing-hot Sichuan version, this one is savory and sweet, with the classic Japanese flavors soy, sake and mirin, and comes together even faster.

The style is very clear.
  • Post #17 - April 28th, 2022, 7:25 pm
    Post #17 - April 28th, 2022, 7:25 pm Post #17 - April 28th, 2022, 7:25 pm
    WhyBeeSea wrote:
    JoelF wrote:

If it's his mom's recipe, I'm assuming he was going for the Japanese take on mapo tofu which is much less spicy and adds sweetness. That's the version I grew up eating.

Oh, no arguments about "authenticity" -- I just am not interested in making it one bit.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #18 - April 29th, 2022, 7:47 am
    Post #18 - April 29th, 2022, 7:47 am Post #18 - April 29th, 2022, 7:47 am
    JoelF wrote:
    WhyBeeSea wrote:
    JoelF wrote:

Oh, no arguments about "authenticity" -- I just am not interested in making it one bit.

Totally get it! I have the opposite feeling where the traditional mapo tofu feels strange to me from eating the sweeter version more often. I'm definitely in the wrong here. :)

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more