LTH Home

Chinese salted egg yolk, is it really that easy?

Chinese salted egg yolk, is it really that easy?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Chinese salted egg yolk, is it really that easy?

Post #1 - March 15th, 2022, 9:14 pm
    Post #1 - March 15th, 2022, 9:14 pm Post #1 - March 15th, 2022, 9:14 pm
    Hi,

I had no ambitions to make a Chinese salted egg, until a youtube video popped up showing how it is done. Sometimes a runaway train of videos reveal ideas never contemplated.

Eggs, vinegar, water, Chinese rice wine (40%*), salt, plastic wrap, bowls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC42R9vEyUI

I followed the easy peasy instructions using jumbo eggs. Wrapped and in a cool dark place for 30 days.

*All the rice wine I had was 8% alcohol. I added some conjac to up the alcohol content.

I checked to see if the egg whites might be useful, they are quite salty once and can be tossed. For less than $2, I will have a dozen salted egg yolks to play around.

I wait for sauerkraut to cure. I can wait for the eggs.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - March 16th, 2022, 8:11 am
    Post #2 - March 16th, 2022, 8:11 am Post #2 - March 16th, 2022, 8:11 am
    Interesting. For the "wine" he's probably using baijiu/shaojiu, a clear distilled spirit. Wonder how much flavor it contributes, beyond sterilizing the egg's surface and sticking on the salt. And wonder how much moisture the salt will draw out of the eggs. Will you have a salty brine in the plastic wrap when you unwrap them?
  • Post #3 - March 16th, 2022, 8:37 am
    Post #3 - March 16th, 2022, 8:37 am Post #3 - March 16th, 2022, 8:37 am
    tjr wrote:Interesting. For the "wine" he's probably using baijiu/shaojiu, a clear distilled spirit. Wonder how much flavor it contributes, beyond sterilizing the egg's surface and sticking on the salt. And wonder how much moisture the salt will draw out of the eggs. Will you have a salty brine in the plastic wrap when you unwrap them?

Hi,

I have my doubts about the alcohol contributing any flavor. I have most of the alcohol left, which I will use up cooking. I used far more salt than the three tablespoons.

If there is a salty brine in the plastic wrap, I will let you know. From watching the video, I did not notice any.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #4 - March 16th, 2022, 9:06 am
    Post #4 - March 16th, 2022, 9:06 am Post #4 - March 16th, 2022, 9:06 am
    One of my favorite dishes at Chef Xiong is a dish called Silky Tofu in Salted Egg Yolks. Looks like this dish is also available at the sister restaurant in Evanston, Peppercorns Kitchen. For something that basically has 2 ingredients; I have an irrational love for that dish. The only thing I add is Black Pepper.

I assumed that the dish was made with regular egg yolks made into a sauce. But maybe they use this kind of salted yolk; which makes it more labor intensive than I thought.
  • Post #5 - March 16th, 2022, 4:16 pm
    Post #5 - March 16th, 2022, 4:16 pm Post #5 - March 16th, 2022, 4:16 pm
    Indianbadger wrote:One of my favorite dishes at Chef Xiong is a dish called Silky Tofu in Salted Egg Yolks. Looks like this dish is also available at the sister restaurant in Evanston, Peppercorns Kitchen. For something that basically has 2 ingredients; I have an irrational love for that dish. The only thing I add is Black Pepper.

I assumed that the dish was made with regular egg yolks made into a sauce. But maybe they use this kind of salted yolk; which makes it more labor intensive than I thought.

It is not labor intensive, it is just a waiting game.

I put more labor into making sauerkraut. :D

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #6 - March 17th, 2022, 9:55 am
    Post #6 - March 17th, 2022, 9:55 am Post #6 - March 17th, 2022, 9:55 am
    Cathy2 wrote:It is not labor intensive, it is just a waiting game.

Regards,
    Cathy2

But then, you are talking to the laziest person I know. :-)

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more