LTH Home

The Weekly Flyer

The Weekly Flyer
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • The Weekly Flyer

Post #1 - April 20th, 2022, 4:33 pm
    Post #1 - April 20th, 2022, 4:33 pm Post #1 - April 20th, 2022, 4:33 pm
    I ensue a new thread here in which I remark about the grocery store flyers, coupons, and other offers in this week's Inside Shopper package.
    Some of you may recall that I had difficulty getting on the list of addresses receiving this package spanning back to when I cancelled the daily delivery of the Chicago newspaper rag which distributes it. I would (and did) resort to walking down the block here in 60641 and scarfing the package from the domiciles where nobody lived. I will still sporadically do this if there is a solid coupon sheet in it that week.
    I mention the ZIP Code above because this is probably what decides the content included. I have rarely scarfed a package from another ZIP Code and discovered different offerings than from 60641.
    {Where would that be? I may as well be transparent. When I want to get something from Mr. D's Shish-kabobs @ Diversey and Normandy, since I am limited to two transfers on C T A lines, I take the #77 Belmont bus west to Normandy Ave. and walk the four blocks south on Normandy. There are a number of obviously unoccupied domiciles along this way with in some instances multiple weeks' worth of this package lying on their sidewalk. This ZIP Code is 60707. Somebody should make the effort to at least get that week's package out of there lest a squatter decide to try and break in to that house. To return here, I ride the #76 Diversey bus to Cicero and the #54 bus north.}
    Here is what was this week's (20 April 2022) package.
    There have been changes over the past few months. The outside paper wrapper has two competing ads for bathroom remodelers, one ad for other home remodelers, and an ad for numismatic speculators; this week offering U.S. $20 gold coins. Some weeks, one of these pages include 10 coupons for Burger King. Aldi used to include its one-page weekly flyer in it, but it has not been in any since the end of March. Food4Less has not been in it at all in 2022. The supermarkets which are
    • Jewel-Osco
    • Cermak Produce #2
    • Cermak Fresh Market 16 & 18
    • Tony's Fresh Market (6 shops on the NW side incl. both on W. Belmont)
    • and the surprise new for this week Angelo Caputo's (Elmwood Park, Addison, Carol Stream, Hanover Park)
    The Angelo Caputo ad is valid through 3 May, and the glossy flyer has a coupon for $5.00 off a $50.00+ purchase. Angelo Caputo's ads were included in the batch delivered to 60707, and the other grocer also therein was Butera.
    There are also flyers for Menards and The Home Depot; and the Vericast coupon booklet which encompasses the Family Dollar flyer.
    This week had the 20 coupon glossy sheet from Burger King. The coupons expire 26 June. QSR Magazine reported that BK is going to discontinue paper coupons in favor of its app, so this may be the last issue. However, some of the offers have changed, so it might not be. Perhaps next week will have the 10 coupons on the outside wrapper.
    On rare occasions, Culver includes a glossy coupon page in this, and White Castle has included coupons.
    The other significant offer is the resumption of the AT&T glossy ad advertising Fiber Broadband. This is how and where I began exploring Fiber Broadband last summer. The price for 1GB Fiber is now shown as $80 | month, but I suspect you could get it for $70 by going into live chat and uttering "XFinity" to the respondent. However, you would get only $150 in a Visa Debit Card. I got $200 in two cards. The 1GB offer includes HBO Max for one year. I keenly recommend signing up for 1GB if it is available at your address. Check Best Neighborhood's Fiber map. It is updated more frequently than the FCC governmental map. Other speeds offered are 500 & 300 Mbps.
    That is this week's flyer package. If you get a different packet in your ZIP Code, kindly reply here.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #2 - April 24th, 2022, 8:59 pm
    Post #2 - April 24th, 2022, 8:59 pm Post #2 - April 24th, 2022, 8:59 pm
    Here then, is the second section of this post in 'Eating Out in Chicagoland'.
    I was heading to Ravinia Brwg. on W. Diversey Ave., so I did not really need to preserve a second transfer. But, since I indicated in the previous post in this thread that I will scarf the weekly flyer from the sidewalk in front of unoccupied domiciles in other ZIP Codes; let's learn what these persons were offered.
    One small correction: The ZIP Code for these blocks on N. Normandy Ave. is 60634. However, Mr. D's address on W. Diversey is in 60707. What will positively identify this flyer route is = Area: 0116 Rte.: V60634F1-LYNCH
    Let me explain how I justify scarfing these packages. They are delivered on Tuesday afternoon. If I walk by the domicile on Thursday, and they're still on the sidewalk, it is pretty obvious nobody is there this week. And further, this week, it rained on Wednesday. They got damp. So I had to let them dry off before inspecting the contents.

There are a whole lot of differences involved compared with the flyer deposited at the abode here in Cragin, starting with the outer paper wrapper.
    The front page has an ad for a slots & video gaming venue called The Sports Nook on W. Grand Ave. in Elmwood Park. There are four coupons on the page. The back page has an ad for a lawn care company. Page 2 has an ad for a check-printing outfit. How quaint. Is anybody actually still cutting a personal check to access funds? :?:
    But here is a significant advert (page 3): Coupons for Brown's Chicken. Five addresses shown: Skokie, Melrose Park, Elk Grove Village, Northbrook, & Downers Grove. Including coupons for group catering.
    Let us proceed to what is inside the pack.
    • A leaf & filter gutter protection ad.
    • A knee pain treatment ad.
    • Midwest Furniture Liquidators (open only Fri-Sun in Mokena, Schaumburg)
    • Menards
    • Tony's Fresh Market {the same five stores as my ad}
    • Jewel-Osco
    • a regular Angelo Caputo's Fresh Market ad {all eight stores}
    • the two-week Angelo Caputo's ad with the $5.00 discount for $50.00+ {four stores}
    • Butera Fruit Market {looking similar to Piggly Wiggly ads in Wisconsin} {13 stores}
    • WTH! They get an Aldi ad. :!: :?: This mildly perturbs me. I can recall one Aldi store in this flyer's area - in the plaza at Grand | Fullerton | Narragansett.
    • The AT&T Fiber ad is included. AT&T is seemingly continuing to build out its Fiber connectivity on the northwest side.
    • The 20-coupon glossy sheet of Burger King coupons.
    • The Vericast coupon booklet with the Family Dollar ad.

Will I do this every week? No. Although it would not be a bad move to take out (or eat in) from Mr. D's Shishkabobs every week. I will only do this if there are fast food coupons in that week's flyer. This week has Brown's & Burger King. Burger King may not do this much longer. But there have been weeks with coupons from Popeye's, Wendy's, Culver, and White Castle.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #3 - April 25th, 2022, 7:52 am
    Post #3 - April 25th, 2022, 7:52 am Post #3 - April 25th, 2022, 7:52 am
    Hi,

I am 60035 zip code, my weekly flyer has ads from:
    - Heinen's
    - Jewel
    - Lewis Fresh in Waukegan
    - Mariano's
    - Sunset Foods

There are other inserts I never pay attention to beyond placing them in the recycling bin: replacement windows, hardware stores or nothing I can cook or eat, so it is not interesting.

Every few issues there are coupons from Burger King and Brown's Chicken in Waukegan. I never have the Brown's coupon with me anytime I may be near.

Whenever I am in Waukegan, I do visit Lewis Fresh. Last week, they had Black Pomfret for $1.99 per pound. My Dad was passing nearby, so I asked him to pick up one fish. This was frozen from China with the scales still on and the innards still present, but it was swift work to deal with. It was enjoyed sufficiently, my Dad picked up eight more fish.

Lewis Market also offers Halal meat often featured in their ads. I met a Muslim who advised there is a Halal butcher somewhere on Sheridan Road. She was quite specific on where and I forgot.

On Tuesdays, I usually check Jewel and Mariano's ads from this week and next. If there is something I need and it is on sale beginning on Wednesday, I wait. Sometimes something is going off sale I want, so I trot over to pick it up.

While I really do not need the insert, because I can find everything online. My Mom loves to give them a look over with suggestions on what to buy.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #4 - April 25th, 2022, 10:28 am
    Post #4 - April 25th, 2022, 10:28 am Post #4 - April 25th, 2022, 10:28 am
    I worked for the publication that delivers those for many, many years, and I can verify that they are very, very specifically zoned. Which coupons are distributed and where they are distributed vary greatly based on store/restaurant locations, but also are very heavily dependent on how big a buy the advertiser ordered. If for example, a smaller grocer buys 100K flyers or less, they will be zoned around a specific store and neighborhood. For some of the larger stores, like a Jewel-Osco, the sale items/ coupons may be slightly different in different neighborhoods.

By policy, the delivery agents are not supposed to leave a new flyer if last weeks is still present. Similarly, if you are a subscriber to the paper, they shouldn't deliver a new paper if more than one exists on the stoop. This is to prevent people from targeting vacant houses or those who are on vacation and didn't pause delivery. In reality, this policy is followed sporadically. It's also why because its a "freebie" those that call to stop or start its delivery will get inconsistent results.
  • Post #5 - April 25th, 2022, 7:58 pm
    Post #5 - April 25th, 2022, 7:58 pm Post #5 - April 25th, 2022, 7:58 pm
    We live out in 60083 and get our ad packet with the Tribune on Wednesday. Neighbors who don't get the newspaper receive their ads in the US mail on Tuesday. Like Cathy said, it's an advantage to get the ads on Tuesday because then you can game the Tuesday night vs Wednesday shopping to get the most sale items. We always get JewelOsco, nearly always Lewis and Tony's, sometimes Zion Piggly Wiggly and Aldi, sometimes Butera (it's one or the other of those combos, not both) and rarely Marianos. Once in a great while, Farm&Fleet or SaveALot. There's often a wrapper with some sort of fast food coupons (or non-coupons in the case of KFC), phone/internet/tv, or odd junk like sketchy arthritis remedies.
    I truly prefer paper ads to online ones because I feel that I can read them much faster and more efficiently. And I find that when we don't get ads from stores, I'm much less likely to go to those stores. Not because I'm miffed at them, it's just that they fade from my awareness. CVS is a good example. When we got weekly CVS ads, I would stop there for interesting specials every few weeks. Now I can't remember the last time I went to CVS. Might have been October. I think they email me ads but they just get lost in the megamountain of emails.
  • Post #6 - April 26th, 2022, 6:54 am
    Post #6 - April 26th, 2022, 6:54 am Post #6 - April 26th, 2022, 6:54 am
    tjr wrote:I truly prefer paper ads to online ones because I feel that I can read them much faster and more efficiently. And I find that when we don't get ads from stores, I'm much less likely to go to those stores. Not because I'm miffed at them, it's just that they fade from my awareness.

I also prefer paper ads. I do take the time to read the grocery ads online,because after all,food is a necessity. As far as the other stores that don't do paper ads anymore....Out of sight...Out of mind.
  • Post #7 - April 26th, 2022, 8:53 am
    Post #7 - April 26th, 2022, 8:53 am Post #7 - April 26th, 2022, 8:53 am
    I noticed for at least a year now Walgreens doesn't send out paper weekly flyers anymore. I assume this is to save $$$ on advertising but probably effects there target consumer which tends to be older and less tech savvy.
  • Post #8 - April 26th, 2022, 9:13 am
    Post #8 - April 26th, 2022, 9:13 am Post #8 - April 26th, 2022, 9:13 am
    I'm fully off of the paper ads.
    I create my online list, and streamline the "in store" process.
    I basically only shop at Jewel, Aldi, Tony's, and my lil fruit market down the street. All 4 places are a stone's throw away, and I can run in and out during the day while I'm working at home, so crowds aren't really a thing, except at Jewel, since they kinda limit their payroll on cashiers during weekdays - understandable.

My m.o. is to check the online sales flyers on Wednesday (thanks, Jewel, for letting me preview on Tuesdays!) Then I can cross ref everything and figure out a loose menu for the week, or figure out what to pull from the freezer because there's something decent to buy to throw in the freezer to replace it. I also check Peoria Packing and Shop&Save, but those are rare visits unless something is strikingly worthy.

After cross ref, I have a list of each joint's best items that we'd actually need or want. The whole process takes about 20 minutes, and then when I'm in store, I can just have complete tunnel vision, but I can also spend a few minutes looking at clearanced oddities. One good thing that's come out of it, is that I can share my list with that one lady I'm married to, and I can send her to a store and she won't come home with a rock hard avocado, a frozen goose, and 4 sleeves of leeks instead of the gallon of milk and loaf of bread that we needed. But that's kind of a side note.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #9 - May 2nd, 2022, 2:01 pm
    Post #9 - May 2nd, 2022, 2:01 pm Post #9 - May 2nd, 2022, 2:01 pm
    So let's see what was in this week's flyer package.
    It did not appear here until Wednesday for some unknown reason.
    I mentioned that some weeks, we have coupons on the outer paper sheath. This is one of those weeks. Intriguingly, the coupons are from White Castle (not Burger King), and they're on page 1. They are not that solid, featuring "buy 1, get 1 free" Castle combos, double cheeseburgers, fish slider, & breakfast waffle slider. Probably the best coupon here is $3 off a $10+ purchase. The coupons expire on 31 May 2022. The illustration boosts "the 1921 slider", with more toppings that can fall out of it, free in the app. :(
    The other ads on the paper sheath are for the bathroom remodelers (2), & the gutter coverer.
    The package also has a glossy coupon sheet from Popeye's. It is 2 x 8, with the same coupons on each side. The chicken sandwich is part of the illustration, but there is never a coupon for it in these (& the price of it has gone from $3.99 to $4.49). The coupons offer three piece tenders, two piece chicken, five piece chicken or tenders, & ten piece mixed chicken or tenders; with varying numbers of sides and biscuits. The coupons expire on 15 July 2022.
    Inside, the AT&T Fiber ad is in again. Making another appearance are Menards, Centro Fresh Market, Cermak Produce #2, Cermak Fresh Market #16 & #18, Tony's Fresh Market (the 5 NW side shops), and the Jewel-Osco ad - which has a useless partial overwrap on its left; just for a benign QR code to see a video. :P It is the week when we get the one-page glossy Latinx page with offers valid thru 31 May.
    No Aldi ad again. Nothing from Angelo Caputo's, or Butera (but I did not expect that). The only new offer in here is a glossy ad for Geico insurance local offices (6).
    In contemplation, this is something I wanted more than the two flyers it left here at the abode. But, it was not one which would be coupled with a jaunt to Mr. D's Shish-Kabobs. I just walked a couple of blocks around this Cragin neighborhood on Friday. I found more delivered flyers at unoccupied domiciles which I scarfed. I really do not understand why the daily newspaper rag keeps leaving these flyers at these addresses, but I have no compunctions against capitalizing on its folly.
  • Post #10 - May 4th, 2022, 4:32 pm
    Post #10 - May 4th, 2022, 4:32 pm Post #10 - May 4th, 2022, 4:32 pm
    Week #3: The flyer did not arrive here until after 4:00 pm on Wednesday. :(
    The outer sheath is very different from last week. Page 1 has a cigar-purchasing scheme (invalid in Utah). Page 2 has the 10-coupon ad for Burger King. These are valid thru 17 July 2022. What was that blurb about putting all the deals in the app, and not on paper? {I would register for a 'Royal Perks' account, but for some bizarre reason, Burger King does not like my e-mail address beginning with 'burgerking1'. Little Caesars has no objection to it.} Page 3 has an Omaha Steaks meat-grilling scheme. Page 4 has a numismatic scheme with $50.00 gold coins.
    Let us proceed to what is inside the sheath.
    • A Vericast coupon booklet with fairly good manufacturer coupons from Maybelline, Eggland, Purina {none that I need for Mirko} - valid only thru 29 May, Nature's Bounty, Dial | Right Guard, contact lens solutions, shavers, hair color, 9 Elements, Bengay, Tylenol, Polident, Lindor's chocolate, jewelry, checks :roll:, and eyeglasses from JC Penney,
    • A Unilever brands glossy ad with skin care coupons only valid thru the 14th.
    • Menards {Is anyone fooled by the Menards "sale" ruse? The "11% off" is a rebate card valid only at Menards. You are not saving any money. :evil: You have to keep shopping at Menards.}
    • Tony's Fresh Market {the same five stores on the NW side}
    • Jewel-Osco
    • A glossy sheet of Kentucky Fried Chicken coupons (12) valid thru 8 August 2022
    • The AT&T Fiber ad
    • Cermak Produce #2 [4401 W. Armitage]
    • Cermak Fresh Market #18 [5129 W. Belmont - a former Jewel-Osco store]
    • Cermak Fresh Market #16 [4000 W. Diversey.]
    No Aldi ad again.
    I believe I have enough Burger King coupons that I don't need to walk around the neighborhood looking for more. I am also less than eager to order food from KFC, so I don't need more of those either. This week was merely OK for me. Your mileage may vary.
  • Post #11 - May 12th, 2022, 11:20 am
    Post #11 - May 12th, 2022, 11:20 am Post #11 - May 12th, 2022, 11:20 am
    Week #4: What are we offered this week?
    The outer sheath is not that different from last week. Page 1 has a cigar-purchasing scheme (invalid in Utah). Page 2 has the roof gutter protection offer. Page 3 has a dental insurance pitch. Page 4 has a numismatic scheme with five-dollar gold coins.
    Let us proceed to what is inside the sheath.
    I will not bury the lead this week. There are no coupons for any restaurant chain. We get the questionable 11% off advert from Menards, the AT&T Fiber sheet (repeating - the deal here is for 1GB, listed @ $80.00 | month, but which you can likely haggle down to $70.00 by dropping the X word and which also throws-in HBOMax), the Jewel-Osco ad, the Tony's Fresh Market ad (these are the ones I hang on to for the week), Cermak Produce #2 [4401 W. Armitage], Cermak Fresh Market #18 [5129 W. Belmont Ave. - a former Jewel-Osco store], Cermak Fresh Market #16 [4000 W. Diversey Ave.], a two-week ad flyer for Centro Fresh Market [4804 W. Diversey Ave.] These last four grocery stores are angling for Latinx customers, but they seemingly charge more for the items which you can obtain at Jewel, Tony's, & Butera. No Aldi ad again; no Angelo Caputo ad. I should mention there is no Food4Less or Mariano's ad also. I wonder if Kroger is distributing those flyers anywhere on the northwest side?
    This is the base level for the weekly flyer dropped off here in 60641. I do not need to go anywhere else to scarf more packs. It is just as well; since Illinois Craft Beer Week begins on Friday, and I will do beer events during this span.
  • Post #12 - Yesterday, 3:29 pm
    Post #12 - Yesterday, 3:29 pm Post #12 - Yesterday, 3:29 pm
    Week #5: Anything good this week?
    A different outer sheath to start. Page 1 has a dental plans offer. Page 2 has a pitch for paper checks. :roll:
    Pages 3 and 4 serve ads from a home security service.
    There is one coupon sheet which you may appreciate. The back page of the included Vericast booklet has six coupons for Krispy Kreme donuts. I cut these out and save them, but I don't think I would use them unless I was heading to a meetup somewhere. I also could not inform you offhand where is a Krispy Kreme donut shop close to 60641. I would not get through a dozen donuts before they became hard.
    You might also find useful the products being offered in the Vericast booklet. (I did not.)
    The AT&T Fiber ad is not included this week.
    We get a new advertiser selling furniture. The questionable 11% off advert from Menards makes another appearance. The typical standby Jewel-Osco and the Tony's Fresh Market ad (these are the ones I hang on to for the week), Cermak Produce #2 [4401 W. Armitage], Cermak Fresh Market #18 [5129 W. Belmont Ave. - a former Jewel-Osco store], Cermak Fresh Market #16 [4000 W. Diversey Ave.] are present. There is no Aldi ad; but an Angelo Caputo ad for four stores including the one in Elmwood Park has the $5 off $50+ coupon. I should mention there is no Food4Less or Mariano's ad.
    I have no intention to try and scarf more flyer packs.
  • Post #13 - Yesterday, 6:54 pm
    Post #13 - Yesterday, 6:54 pm Post #13 - Yesterday, 6:54 pm
    pudgym29 wrote: Week #5: Anything good this week?
    A different outer sheath to start. Page 1 has a dental plans offer. Page 2 has a pitch for paper checks. :roll:
    Pages 3 and 4 serve ads from a home security service.
    There is one coupon sheet which you may appreciate. The back page of the included Vericast booklet has six coupons for Krispy Kreme donuts. I cut these out and save them, but I don't think I would use them unless I was heading to a meetup somewhere. I also could not inform you offhand where is a Krispy Kreme donut shop close to 60641. I would not get through a dozen donuts before they became hard.
    You might also find useful the products being offered in the Vericast booklet. (I did not.)
    The AT&T Fiber ad is not included this week.
    We get a new advertiser selling furniture. The questionable 11% off advert from Menards makes another appearance. The typical standby Jewel-Osco and the Tony's Fresh Market ad (these are the ones I hang on to for the week), Cermak Produce #2 [4401 W. Armitage], Cermak Fresh Market #18 [5129 W. Belmont Ave. - a former Jewel-Osco store], Cermak Fresh Market #16 [4000 W. Diversey Ave.] are present. There is no Aldi ad; but an Angelo Caputo ad for four stores including the one in Elmwood Park has the $5 off $50+ coupon. I should mention there is no Food4Less or Mariano's ad.
    I have no intention to try and scarf more flyer packs.

According to their website, the nearest Krispy Kreme to you is 108 N State Street.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more