LTH Home

Chicago suburbs with "most efficient" grocery shopping?

Chicago suburbs with "most efficient" grocery shopping?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Chicago suburbs with "most efficient" grocery shopping?

Post #1 - June 11th, 2022, 10:37 am
    Post #1 - June 11th, 2022, 10:37 am Post #1 - June 11th, 2022, 10:37 am
    Cathy2 posted this in the Weekly Flyer thread and I thought it was interesting enough for a separate discussion:
    Cathy2 wrote:but the most efficient shopping location is Milwaukee Ave in Libertyville south of 176 with Aldi's, Mariano's, Trader Joe's and Jewel. All it needs is a Woodman's, but I can catch it at Milwaukee and Deerfield Roads.

Perhaps we can get a friendly rivalry going between backers of various suburbs.

I'll throw out Kenosha along the 75th St strip and nearby, from west to east:
    Woodmans
    Costco
    Fresh Thyme
    Aldi
    Pick-n-Save (Kroger, essentially same as Marianos)
    Piggly Wiggly
    and Festival on 80th.

For non-Badgers, return to IL on 39th/Lewis Av, available slight side trip to Walmart on 173, and you can hit da Jewels, Tony's and Lewis Fresh plus another Aldi. Continue on Lewis to 120 for Save-a-Lot, or turn west on Grand for another Lewis and another Jewel.
  • Post #2 - June 16th, 2022, 8:14 am
    Post #2 - June 16th, 2022, 8:14 am Post #2 - June 16th, 2022, 8:14 am
    Another note from the too-much-driving front: Tuesday I had to go to places in Addison and Streamwood. Lake St/US20 is the Caputo Corridor. I passed by the Addison, Bloomingdale and Hanover Park stores. Only stopped in the Addison location (the one with the tortilla machine). They were out of the sale pork cutlets, was tempted to stop at one of the other ones but that seemed excessive.

Other streets with multiple iterations of the same store?
  • Post #3 - June 16th, 2022, 9:23 am
    Post #3 - June 16th, 2022, 9:23 am Post #3 - June 16th, 2022, 9:23 am
    We have a Jewel, Marianos, Whole Foods, Aldi, and a Pete's in Wheaton. There is a Trader Joe's down Roosevelt Road in Glen Ellyn. There is a Costco in North Naperville on Ogden. Also an Amazon Fresh Store is there as well, and a Fresh Thyme. I believe there is now a Woodman's but its a bit of a travel to Bloomingdale. A Caputo's in Carol Stream as well as a Valle Produce store.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #4 - June 17th, 2022, 12:10 pm
    Post #4 - June 17th, 2022, 12:10 pm Post #4 - June 17th, 2022, 12:10 pm
    tjr wrote: [nested quote edited]
    Perhaps we can get a friendly rivalry going between backers of various suburbs.
    I'll throw out Kenosha along the 75th St strip and nearby, from west to east:
    Woodmans
    Costco
    Fresh Thyme
    Aldi
    Pick-n-Save (Kroger, essentially same as Marianos)
    Piggly Wiggly
    and Festival on 80th.
    tjr wrote:Another note from the too-much-driving front:
    [edit]
    Other streets with multiple iterations of the same store?
    First - the Pick-n-Save in Kenosha is affiliated with the Piggly Wiggly, and the Piggly Wiggly has a relationship with Butera (not Kroger) grocery stores in northern Illinois.
    I have mentioned in the Weekly Flyer thread that there are two Tony's stores within 1½ miles of each other on West Belmont Ave. [4608 W. & 5630 W.] The one at 5630 was formerly an A & G Fruit Market; which did not have a package liquor license when Tony's bought it.
    But that is not the span which I hereby mention.
    I point the finger at west Diversey Ave. between Lamon (4900 W.) and Pulaski (4000 W.) I do not typically shop at all these stores, but I am not you. :lol:
    • Morelia Supermarket (4833 W.)
    • Centro Fresh Market (4804)
    • Aldi (4627)
    • Big Lots (4628)
    • Wal-Mart (4626)
    • Dollar -and-a-quarter- Tree (4441)
    • Cermak Fresh Market #16 (4000)
    • Binny's Beverage Mart (3934)
    For food to take out (or dine-in), there are
    • Little Cæsars (4830 W. - it moved slightly)
    • Super Pollo & Taqueria (4614)
    • McDonald's (4601)
    • Burger King (4514)
    • Poncitlan Jalisco #1 (4460)
    That's a fairly comprehensive stretch. :)
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #5 - June 18th, 2022, 11:02 am
    Post #5 - June 18th, 2022, 11:02 am Post #5 - June 18th, 2022, 11:02 am
    I believe you may be wrong about Pick n Save not being owned by Kroger:

https://www.picknsave.com/i/kroger-family-of-companies
  • Post #6 - June 18th, 2022, 12:20 pm
    Post #6 - June 18th, 2022, 12:20 pm Post #6 - June 18th, 2022, 12:20 pm
    Here in Des Plaines, I make a weekly five mile round trip run starting at Butera, then Aldi, Shop & Save Market at the furthest point, and Sam's Farmer's Market on the way home. Along the route there is a Jewel along with multiple small ethnic grocers including Mexican and Eastern European.

Buddy

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more