LTH Home

Market With The Most NE Chinese (Dongbei) Groceries?

Market With The Most NE Chinese (Dongbei) Groceries?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Market With The Most NE Chinese (Dongbei) Groceries?

Post #1 - July 16th, 2022, 5:37 pm
    Post #1 - July 16th, 2022, 5:37 pm Post #1 - July 16th, 2022, 5:37 pm
    My mother in law arrived from China earlier this week and will stay with us for awhile. I took her to 88 Marketplace earlier today and while they have a number of things from NE China (Dongbei) such as millet and rice, she was wondering what grocery store in town has the most items from there? She did not think they had a ton there.

She lives in Shanghai but originally from NE and likes to cook that. Just wondering if there's a place that actually has more selection from that region.

Thank you!
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #2 - July 17th, 2022, 12:22 pm
    Post #2 - July 17th, 2022, 12:22 pm Post #2 - July 17th, 2022, 12:22 pm
    Lucky you. My most missed restaurant is Homestyle Taste (RIP).
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #3 - July 17th, 2022, 12:39 pm
    Post #3 - July 17th, 2022, 12:39 pm Post #3 - July 17th, 2022, 12:39 pm
    Jazzfood wrote:Lucky you. My most missed restaurant is Homestyle Taste (RIP).

The place there now (Four Seasons) is Dongbei food and pretty good. They make a pretty rare for the US type of chicken from NE.
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #4 - July 17th, 2022, 2:29 pm
    Post #4 - July 17th, 2022, 2:29 pm Post #4 - July 17th, 2022, 2:29 pm
    Wasn't aware, thanks. Any other menu suggestions? I miss those cold colorful wide noodles, the preserved egg w/tofu and hand tear beef most.

This is the last restaurant I ate @ w/SteveZ so it holds special meaning to me. He was out of the hospital briefly and wanted to go. They closed a wk or so later.
  • Post #5 - July 17th, 2022, 5:28 pm
    Post #5 - July 17th, 2022, 5:28 pm Post #5 - July 17th, 2022, 5:28 pm
    Jazzfood wrote:Wasn't aware, thanks. Any other menu suggestions? I miss those cold colorful wide noodles, the preserved egg w/tofu and hand tear beef most.

This is the last restaurant I ate @ w/SteveZ so it holds special meaning to me. He was out of the hospital briefly and wanted to go. They closed a wk or so later.

I think the smoked pork or beef "pancakes" we've had from there have been pretty good. Same as the spring pancake set. We haven't ordered them since we moved out of South Loop tho. I think their dumplings and bao are decent too.

With my MIL in town though, I am starting to get homemade Dongbei food everyday basically. Maybe we'll order once for her though because believe it or not where they live in Shanghai does not have great Dongbei food. They ate at Homestyle Taste previously and said some of the dishes there were better than what they could get in Shanghai at the time.

The chicken they have that's rare on the menu if you order thru Chowbus for example is "Northern Smoked Chicken." I'm sure you could order in restaurant too. This is from the same city as my wife is from and she said it tastes almost identical to what she grew up with. I have had it in the same region too and concur it tastes exactly like what I ate there. Goes great with beer for the record. We knew of 1 place in the entirety of NYC who serves the same thing - it's rare to find in the US and this place has a very good representation of it. Four Seasons Dumplings in Chicago is better for that chicken than the 1 place we found in NYC (Flushing).

I'm not sure if it's some of the same owners/chefs as Homestyle Taste was but I think if you liked that, then you'll like Four Seasons Dumplings. It's hard when a place holds special memories and it's gone. Hopefully what's there now can bring you some solace.
  • Post #6 - July 17th, 2022, 6:05 pm
    Post #6 - July 17th, 2022, 6:05 pm Post #6 - July 17th, 2022, 6:05 pm
    Thank you
  • Post #7 - July 26th, 2022, 11:44 am
    Post #7 - July 26th, 2022, 11:44 am Post #7 - July 26th, 2022, 11:44 am
    We ordered that smoked chicken for my mother in law. She confirmed its legit and then said the Dongbei food in Chicago is better than what's available in their area of Shanghai. She Approves of Four Seasons Dumplings.

:)
  • Post #8 - July 30th, 2022, 6:13 pm
    Post #8 - July 30th, 2022, 6:13 pm Post #8 - July 30th, 2022, 6:13 pm
    Thanks SO much for mentioning Four Seasons and the smoked chicken dish—I picked up from there this afternoon and it was terrific! Started a thread on the place here: https://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=46466
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #9 - July 30th, 2022, 7:07 pm
    Post #9 - July 30th, 2022, 7:07 pm Post #9 - July 30th, 2022, 7:07 pm
    Going Weds and will post.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles