LTH Home

Food prices Chicago vs rest of US

Food prices Chicago vs rest of US
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Food prices Chicago vs rest of US

Post #1 - August 20th, 2022, 11:49 am
    Post #1 - August 20th, 2022, 11:49 am Post #1 - August 20th, 2022, 11:49 am
    Not sure if this is already a topic, couldn't find it if it is. There seem to be mostly Chicago people here with enough outsiders to get some insight on prices in different areas.

Dropped my kid for college in Kansas City this week. We went to a couple grocery stores to pick up some basics: cereal, snacks, etc. Prices were shockingly higher than back home in Chicago-suburb-land. On the way back I stopped at HyVee in Galesburg, same story.

This isn't the first time I've noticed that groceries are higher almost everywhere I've traveled or lived. Even the Milwaukee area tends to be higher on produce and meat, although dry goods are fairly similar. Are we just lucky here? Or does being the transportation center of the country help? Or the number of grocery stores?
  • Post #2 - August 20th, 2022, 4:16 pm
    Post #2 - August 20th, 2022, 4:16 pm Post #2 - August 20th, 2022, 4:16 pm
    I have a sister that lives in New Orleans, and for some reason milk is always way more there than it is in the Chicago area. I am talking about $4 a gallon at Walmart prepandemic. I don't know what the deal is with the milk there. You can go to a grocery store there, and get gulf coast shrimp way cheaper there than you can here. Prepandemic it was $6 a pound at the grocery store, or $5 a pound at the farmer's market. Last time I went to jazz fest down there in the beginning of May, I did not get any shrimp to take home, but there other prices were not much more than Chicago, but prices in restaurants had gone up, and the food was more expensive at jazz fest, although it was not crazy expensive. Maybe 10-15% more. One place that I love that has the best gluten free crab cakes at Jackson Square,, their prices had gone up maybe 30% since I last went there three years ago. Crab is expensive down there right now, and I bought some praelines to give to a friend, and they were wonderful, but they were $29 a pound, and nobody was giving out free samples like they used to.

I stopped in at a Meijer's in South Haven the end of June, and I did not think their prices were any more expensive than Chicago. Their King Arthur flour is way cheaper than I can get it in the Chicago area. Prices at Jewel have gone way up since the pandemic began. Especially for coffee, eggs, and frozen food. I used to be able to get Hills Brothers on sale for $3.99, and now it is on sale for $7.99, and you cannot get eggs for less than $3 a dozen.

I've noticed that the prices for produce at the farmers market has also gone way up. I am spending twice as much at the farmers market than I was prepandemic. Part of the problem is that there are several people that I used to get deals from, right before they closed, and they are no longer coming to the Evanston market. Jewel has had some wonderful sales on berries and cherries lately. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #3 - August 20th, 2022, 6:24 pm
    Post #3 - August 20th, 2022, 6:24 pm Post #3 - August 20th, 2022, 6:24 pm
    When I moved from Chicagoland to Southern Arizona in 2014, I was shocked to see how much higher food prices were in this market. Now, nearly ALL of the prices I pay seem to be a lot lower than the prices that are posted on this board.

Are inflation prices higher in Chicago than here? Probably NOT. Are more groceries produced down here than before? Probably NOT.

I would attribute it to learning how to shop the local supermarkets and learning where to shop week to week. For produce, I rely on the produce salvage where you can get 70# of produce for $15. I give away about 50# every few weeks. In return, my neighbors have started to retaliate by giving me bags full of groceries. Seriously. And all the skim milk that I can drink (or mix with half and half).

For meat, I will only buy it when it is on sale. The only exception is that I buy a lot from Asian markets in Phoenix on my 6-8 trips per year.

Ditto for groceries. My large dry goods purchase stock up is at Winco Foods, Aldi, and a salvage store in Phoenix. Between trips, I buy at Krogers at the higher price.

I have found that keeping a price book in my car reminds me what I paid the last time I purchased a given place.

Today was the first time I have been in a supermarket in more than a week as I am fully stocked in my pantry and freezer. I wanted to pick up eggs as they had some free-range eggs at Safeway for $2.

The advantage that you have in the Chicago area is the number of stores of different sizes. Here, my options locally are fairly limited. On the other hand, the operating costs in this area are much lower and SOMETIMES that is reflected is some of the prices.

One other thing. Since the average family income is far less here than in the Chicago area, the stores have to be much more competitive. I have seen a lot of people in this area walk up to the neat section, take a look and then walk out. People are VERY price sensitive in this area. And the merchants that don't make all of their decisions in Boise or Cincinnati know that.

==========================

The FLIPP app allows you to have access to all grocery ads that are printed in your region. This will allow you to see what the best prices are prior to leaving your driveway.
  • Post #4 - August 20th, 2022, 7:06 pm
    Post #4 - August 20th, 2022, 7:06 pm Post #4 - August 20th, 2022, 7:06 pm
    There are no produce salvage places in the Chicago area as far as I know. The only grocery salvage place that I have been to lately has been big lots, and in the rare occasion I go there, I rarely see anything worth buying. I also go to Dollar Tree on rare occasion, and I never see anything worth buying there either. Dollar Tree supposedly has day old bread really cheap, but they never have any when I go to the store. There used to be day old bakeries too, but there are none near me as far as I know. I used to go to Sara Lee outlet in Skokie, but they closed at least five years ago. Yes, there are a few things that are cheaper at Aldi's that I use, but most of the time they are out of them when I go there.

Earlier this week, I made some buttermilk and zucchini soup, but the buttermilk cost me $2.69 at Jewel, and there was no other place in Evanston that had it cheaper, and Aldi's does not carry it. I am not driving 50 miles to hit a grocery salvage place so I can get cheap coffee or sparkling water.

You used to be able to go to some of the Asian grocery stores in Uptown to get Asian condiments dirt cheap. I am not sure if that is the case anymore.
  • Post #5 - August 21st, 2022, 4:36 am
    Post #5 - August 21st, 2022, 4:36 am Post #5 - August 21st, 2022, 4:36 am
    HI,

Woodman's has a limited reduced priced bakery, canned goods, vegetables, meat, and dairy. It is very random what may be there and its availability. Since prices have noticeably increased, people who may have passed it over are now picking through stuff.

Continental Sales at Cicero Ave and 63rd has shelf-stable food that ended up there for a variety of reasons. It may be short dated, it could be last run, or a company who went bankrupt. If you look through their website, they comment about these products are outside the normal distribution channels. If I am dubious about something I buy a one-of, then sample in the parking lot. Depending on my reaction, I may just go back in to buy more or thank my lucky stars it is just one.

Continental Sales has changed my attitude about driving to Midway Airport. Now I am only annoyed if my reason-to-be-there is outside of normal working hours.

A favorite shopping salvage food destination shopping in Warsaw, Indiana went out of business. Why? During the pandemic, there was less food salvage to access. My nickname for this store was the 'dented can' store. I bought my favorite grape leaves there for a dollar a jar instead of $5. I bought lots of tins of anchovies for 50 cents, which I recently ran through.

Another store in Indianapolis went out of business. I happened to pass through during this grim moment of selling everything to shut down. I got through the pandemic on the quantity of yeast packets that I still have some left. Whatever fit in a box was $5. I bought all this yeast and lots of other useful stuff.

A friend and I bought NFriday a coffee pot or water kettle for perhaps $3. Did it work out?

My current favorite dented can store is southwest of St. Louis. When I was there last week, I bought a lot of cheese.

I have family in the KC area, so I am there at least once a year (and just last weekend). I remember seeing live lobster for $22. per pound a few years ago. I just thought to myself: thankfully we live in a transportation hub in Chicago.

jlawrence01 has been especially helpful finding these salvage stores. They are so interesting to check out.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #6 - August 21st, 2022, 5:52 am
    Post #6 - August 21st, 2022, 5:52 am Post #6 - August 21st, 2022, 5:52 am
    tjr wrote: On the way back I stopped at HyVee in Galesburg, same story.

You took the scenic route back? I'm not sure why they created the 110 highway.
  • Post #7 - August 21st, 2022, 9:36 am
    Post #7 - August 21st, 2022, 9:36 am Post #7 - August 21st, 2022, 9:36 am
    NFriday wrote:There are no produce salvage places in the Chicago area as far as I know.

Many independent local grocery's like Jerrys, Shop & Save, Montrose Market, etc.. Buy items from big box grocery's like Jewel, Costo, etc.. through some middle man process that are about to expire (low sellers at big box grocers and removed from the shelf space) or overbought from national chains and sell those items at steep discounts to the end consumers. As an example I have seen at Jerry's recently Bolthouse 52oz juices for $2.50 (normally $6-$8 at big box grocers) and Old Croc Cheese 6oz for $2 (around $5-$6 at big box grocers). These items are expiring very soon and are usually 1 off items in that you will never see the same item sold again at the those stores like Jerry's once sold through on hand inventory.

Also, regarding prices of groceries in Chicagoland area vs. other states in my opinion has to do with great competition in the grocery story space in this region and diversity of both independent and national chain grocers in the area. In Skokie, Niles, Morton Grove area there has got to be at least 20+ grocers within a 5 mile vicinity including Aldi, Amazon Fresh, Assi, Fresh Farms, Heinen's, HMART, Jewel, Joong Boo, Jerry's, Mariano's, Patel Brothers, Shop & Save, Tony's, Jewel, Trader Joes, Valli, Whole Foods, Etc...
  • Post #8 - August 21st, 2022, 2:23 pm
    Post #8 - August 21st, 2022, 2:23 pm Post #8 - August 21st, 2022, 2:23 pm
    polster wrote:Also, regarding prices of groceries in Chicagoland area vs. other states in my opinion has to do with great competition in the grocery story space in this region and diversity of both independent and national chain grocers in the area. In Skokie, Niles, Morton Grove area there has got to be at least 20+ grocers within a 5 mile vicinity including Aldi, Amazon Fresh, Assi, Fresh Farms, Heinen's, HMART, Jewel, Joong Boo, Jerry's, Mariano's, Patel Brothers, Shop & Save, Tony's, Jewel, Trader Joes, Valli, Whole Foods, Etc...

I get a lot of "hate mail" from other websites stating that "well, yea, you can save a lot of money shopping 120 miles from your house but you gotta pay all that gas." That can be a valid point. Of the ten grocery stores where I spend the most money, four are two hours away in Phoenix and two are thirty miles away in Tucson.

However, I never make special trips. When I head to Phoenix 6-8 times per year, it is always for another reason like attending a club meeting, picking up relatives or friends from Sky Harbor Airport, traveling to Las Vegas or Utah, or taking neighbors to the Mayo Clinic. I bring three large coolers and do a lot of shopping.

Ditto for the Tucson stores. I volunteer at two places in Tucson and always have 4-5 stops while I am up there. I call my neighbors know when I am making a bread or meat run and they will put their orders in.

And when I do make these trips, I imitate FedEx and UPS and use Google Maps decide the quickest and shortest ways to get around. And now with the FLIPP app, I know what stores I need to get to and which I can skip.

And to those who say that I should shop local, what is local about shopping Frys (Kroger), Safeway, or Walmart? The only thing local in the stores is 20-30% of the produce and the dairy products.
  • Post #9 - August 21st, 2022, 4:03 pm
    Post #9 - August 21st, 2022, 4:03 pm Post #9 - August 21st, 2022, 4:03 pm
    You seem to care what other people think of your shopping habits. why ?

If I am posting on a forum that where I get a lot of negative feedback, then I know that this is not the forum for me.
  • Post #10 - August 21st, 2022, 4:42 pm
    Post #10 - August 21st, 2022, 4:42 pm Post #10 - August 21st, 2022, 4:42 pm
    lougord99 wrote:You took the scenic route back? I'm not sure why they created the 110 highway.

Ha! Actually it's only slightly longer and a ton less boring than the two worst pieces of the alternatives, I55 between the end of the suburbs and Springfield (particularly the piece between Bloomington and Springfield, which feels much longer than it actually is), and I35 between KC and Des Moines. Plus I was intrigued by the concept of the "CKC Expressway".
  • Post #11 - August 21st, 2022, 6:31 pm
    Post #11 - August 21st, 2022, 6:31 pm Post #11 - August 21st, 2022, 6:31 pm
    Hi,

I saw so many miles long congested traffic on I-70 going west, I avoided it going back.

I took I-36, which passes through Chillicothe (location of the first commercially sliced bread) and Marceline (Walt Disney lived there as a child and modeled Mainstreet USA after it). Otherwise it is quiet, maybe too quiet, but a podcast kept me entertained.

I-36 becomes I-72 in Illinois, which is also very quiet with no rest areas at least not until you are near Springfield.

I believe I took 110 earlier this year, when I was in Quincy and wished to visit a museum in Rock Island. I-110 in Illinois was designated in 2010, so it is fairly young. I took I-80 back on the day some cattle were roaming the highway. Jumped off to take country roads to Joliet, then home.

Another route I have taken is I80 west to about Des Moines, IA and south via I-35 to KC.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #12 - August 21st, 2022, 6:33 pm
    Post #12 - August 21st, 2022, 6:33 pm Post #12 - August 21st, 2022, 6:33 pm
    jlawrence01 wrote:...and two are thirty miles away in Tucson....
    My mom lives in Green Valley and at 91, doesn't like to drive into to Tucson much anymore. She went more when her 98 yo boyfriend (partner) was more mobile (some days he has trouble just getting around in their home). While she a good driver, she doesn't trust the other folks on the road as much anymore. What places do you go to in Tucson and for what? I'll tell her about them. Although she still makes her own bread.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #13 - August 21st, 2022, 8:18 pm
    Post #13 - August 21st, 2022, 8:18 pm Post #13 - August 21st, 2022, 8:18 pm
    Xexo wrote:
    jlawrence01 wrote:...and two are thirty miles away in Tucson....
    My mom lives in Green Valley and at 91, doesn't like to drive into to Tucson much anymore. She went more when her 98 yo boyfriend (partner) was more mobile (some days he has trouble just getting around in their home). While she a good driver, she doesn't trust the other folks on the road as much anymore. What places do you go to in Tucson and for what? I'll tell her about them. Although she still makes her own bread.

Cardenas is a Los Angeles based Mexican market that has everything that a supermarket south of the border would have but is spotless clean with excellent service. I buy most of my vegetables, tortillas, and Mexican baked goods there. On occasion, I will buy some meat and fish there. For months, they would offer some pretty good T-bones for $3.99.

El Super, one of the major supermarkets in Mexico, has a location in South Tucson, has terrible customer service and generally, mediocre product. I will not step in the place.

Every two weeks, I head to the Grupo Bimbo bakery outlet to get our bread (Oroweat, Sara Lee, Thomas, Boboli, etc) at 30-40% of the price of Safeways and Frys.

=================

In Phoenix my go-to places are:

American Discount Foods - I buy a lot of dry goods and a lot of Johnsonville/Jimmy Dean/Carrando sausage.

Winco Foods - Mostly bulk foods and most canned goods.

AZ International Marketplace - Asian products and a lot of vegetables, fruits and herbs.

ALDI - their prices have not been competitive on my last two trips.

There are a couple more places on my "watch list" but I am not ready to recommend.
  • Post #14 - August 21st, 2022, 8:59 pm
    Post #14 - August 21st, 2022, 8:59 pm Post #14 - August 21st, 2022, 8:59 pm
    Thank you jlawrence01, most kind of you.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #15 - August 21st, 2022, 11:29 pm
    Post #15 - August 21st, 2022, 11:29 pm Post #15 - August 21st, 2022, 11:29 pm
    I looked at the Flipp website, and when I entered in my zip code, there were some ads such as Jewel that are near me, but there were ads for chains that are 100 miles away, such as Hy Vee. No way am I driving 100 miles to save a few dollars, and no I have no other reason to be in that neighborhood. The only bread outlet I have been able to find, is right across the state line in Wisconsin, in one of the outlet malls, which is at least 40 miles from me. I used to attend a meeting once a month in Northbrook, but since the pandemic started, we have been meeting via zoom.

I have been to Jerry's a few times, but I have not been to the two other stores that sell excess produce. I know Jerry's has a few fans here, but there are quite a few people here who can't deal with the parking lot at the store, including me.
  • Post #16 - August 22nd, 2022, 4:18 pm
    Post #16 - August 22nd, 2022, 4:18 pm Post #16 - August 22nd, 2022, 4:18 pm
    NFriday wrote:I have been to Jerry's a few times, but I have not been to the two other stores that sell excess produce. I know Jerry's has a few fans here, but there are quite a few people here who can't deal with the parking lot at the store, including me.

I just returned from Jerry's, which is pretty quiet on a Monday afternoon. How quiet? I could do a 360 degree turn with my cart.

A five-pound bag of flour was around $1.40 and sugar was around $2.40ish. I usually see good prices on sugar at Aldi.

I know my tolerance of the crowded aisles and parking lot is greater than most.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #17 - August 24th, 2022, 1:06 pm
    Post #17 - August 24th, 2022, 1:06 pm Post #17 - August 24th, 2022, 1:06 pm
    The mentions of the Flipp app remind me of a website I used to visit, prepandemic: mygrocerydeals.com. You could enter your zip code, pick your stores, and see all the sales available, even ones not listed in the flyers.

What with all the grocery price increases recently, I started revisiting mygrocerydeals.com after some time away, and frankly, it doesn't seem that useful anymore. I can make note of any number of sale items that turn out to be either not on sale or not available when I get to the stores.

Does anyone have any recent and more positive experience with mygrocerydeals.com?
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more