LTH Home

Poblano Dip Recipe

Poblano Dip Recipe
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Poblano Dip Recipe

Post #1 - September 27th, 2022, 1:38 pm
    Post #1 - September 27th, 2022, 1:38 pm Post #1 - September 27th, 2022, 1:38 pm
    In a typical year, I'd bring salsas to Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, but this isn't a typical year. Squirrels have eaten most of my tomatoes, the tomatillos are producing very little, and I wasn't able to get jalapeno plants, instead I ended up with poblanos... which actually produced abundantly but very mild.
    So this is sort of a dip or a salad, based on the flavors of esquites/elote but more pepper-heavy:

3 or so Poblano Chiles, diced 1/4" (not roasted), makes about 1 1/2 cups
    1/2 red onion, diced 1/4", about 1/2 C
    1/2 C corn (I had a can; fresh would be better)
    2 T butter
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1/3 C mayonaise
    1/4 C sour cream
    small handful cilantro, minced
    1 Tbs green chile powder (mine has been around for a while, it had very little heat)
    salt and pepper
    juice of 1 small or 1/2 large lime
    3Tbs cotija cheese, crumbled (could use feta or parmesan in a pinch)

In a very large cast iron skillet, heat the butter on medium-high until the foam subsides. Add the chile, onion and corn spread out in a layer. Let sit 2 minutes, stir to sear the other sides of things, add the garlic, then keep stirring every minute or so until you see a dark brown on much of the corn and chile. Remove from heat, let cool a bit.
    Mix the sour cream, mayo, chile powder, lime juice, cheese, cilantro; salt and pepper to taste.
    Add to the vegetables in a small serving bowl until they're coated -- don't over-dress. Chill at least an hour. Serve with tortilla chips.

It'd probably be good warm too, but might be a little sloppy. I would try trading out the sour cream for cream cheese in that case.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #2 - September 27th, 2022, 1:52 pm
    Post #2 - September 27th, 2022, 1:52 pm Post #2 - September 27th, 2022, 1:52 pm
    Sounds good.

Just curious what you are using the salsa on ? It should be good on brisket - though we usually serve breakfast type items for Yom Kippur.
  • Post #3 - September 27th, 2022, 8:31 pm
    Post #3 - September 27th, 2022, 8:31 pm Post #3 - September 27th, 2022, 8:31 pm
    lougord99 wrote:Sounds good.

Just curious what you are using the salsa on ? It should be good on brisket - though we usually serve breakfast type items for Yom Kippur.

Just chips.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more