LTH Home

Freezer/Refrigerator Sensor

Freezer/Refrigerator Sensor
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Freezer/Refrigerator Sensor

Post #1 - November 15th, 2022, 12:30 am
    Post #1 - November 15th, 2022, 12:30 am Post #1 - November 15th, 2022, 12:30 am
    Hi,

I now have what I always wanted: a freezer in the basement that is rarely opened.

It has happened twice now that the door gently opened and things began to melt.

I am looking for a recommendation for a freezer sensor that either makes a big noise OR will email/text it needs attention.

My present kitchen refrigerator does make a faint noise when a door is not closed. I can hear it, but I am the only one. It is used often enough during the day, it would get quickly sorted out.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - November 15th, 2022, 12:41 am
    Post #2 - November 15th, 2022, 12:41 am Post #2 - November 15th, 2022, 12:41 am
    This one from Thermoworks might do the trick. Not cheap, though . . .

ThermaData WiFi Temperature and Humidity Logger

They make others but with alarms (70-82 dB) and no wifi or blue tooth.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #3 - November 15th, 2022, 5:30 am
    Post #3 - November 15th, 2022, 5:30 am Post #3 - November 15th, 2022, 5:30 am
    Cheaper:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Tempera ... hdGY&psc=1
  • Post #4 - November 16th, 2022, 10:01 am
    Post #4 - November 16th, 2022, 10:01 am Post #4 - November 16th, 2022, 10:01 am
    https://www.amazon.com/CDN-TA20-Visual- ... B000I62FQI
    I've been impressed by price/performance and durability of CDN's products. Cheap and simple, but downsides are the wired probe and the freezer alarm is fixed at 15F.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B9N71VC
    Really cheap and multiple uses.

Other advice: Lean a brick, full bucket, 10# bag of flour, gallon jug of vinegar or Carlo Rossi, etc against the freezer door. Or raise the front of the freezer very slightly.
  • Post #5 - November 16th, 2022, 2:34 pm
    Post #5 - November 16th, 2022, 2:34 pm Post #5 - November 16th, 2022, 2:34 pm
    tjr wrote:Or raise the front of the freezer very slightly.

Could you clarify what you mean or how this is done?

Thanks for all the ideas.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #6 - November 16th, 2022, 3:06 pm
    Post #6 - November 16th, 2022, 3:06 pm Post #6 - November 16th, 2022, 3:06 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    tjr wrote:Or raise the front of the freezer very slightly.

Could you clarify what you mean or how this is done?

Thanks for all the ideas.

Regards,
    CAthy2

All refrigerators come with levelers on the legs for just this reason. Lean the refrigerator back and twist the front legs so that they get longer. The door should close when you let go of it.
  • Post #7 - November 16th, 2022, 5:25 pm
    Post #7 - November 16th, 2022, 5:25 pm Post #7 - November 16th, 2022, 5:25 pm
    C2 -

I'm in the market for a new freezer. It appears that you bought an upright freezer instead of a chest freezer. How/why did you come to that decision? I have an upright freezer and was thinking of replacing it with a chest freezer.

[Please chime in with your opinions, everybody else!]

Thanks in advance.

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #8 - November 16th, 2022, 7:43 pm
    Post #8 - November 16th, 2022, 7:43 pm Post #8 - November 16th, 2022, 7:43 pm
    Chest freezer is the only way to go.
  • Post #9 - November 16th, 2022, 9:20 pm
    Post #9 - November 16th, 2022, 9:20 pm Post #9 - November 16th, 2022, 9:20 pm
    Giovanna wrote:C2 -

I'm in the market for a new freezer. It appears that you bought an upright freezer instead of a chest freezer. How/why did you come to that decision? I have an upright freezer and was thinking of replacing it with a chest freezer.

[Please chime in with your opinions, everybody else!]

Thanks in advance.

Giovanna

Hi,

I did not buy this freezer.

If you have the room, I would get a chest freezer. When it is closed, it is closed.

Sorry I do not have much more to offer.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #10 - November 16th, 2022, 9:51 pm
    Post #10 - November 16th, 2022, 9:51 pm Post #10 - November 16th, 2022, 9:51 pm
    I have an upright freezer but my late parents at different times have had both types. There are two big considerations in my mind. First, the footprint relative to capacity is much greater for a chest freezer. This factor alone will dominate in many cases. Second, the chest freezer is great when you have a lot of packages of the same few things. The upright provides better access if you have a few packages each of a lot of different items. Somebody with a large garden who also raises batches of chickens or buys quarters or halves of beef is a much better prospect for a chest freezer than someone who buys moderate quantities of different things when they are at sale prices.

A smaller consideration other things being equal is that a chest freezer uses less electricity because there is not major air exchange with the room every time the door is opened. Other smaller considerations are how much bending and lifting you want to do putting large items in and out of the depths of a chest freezer or trying to read labels down there when you wear bifocals. What works well at forty may not be so great at eighty says someone who is over 80.
  • Post #11 - November 16th, 2022, 10:16 pm
    Post #11 - November 16th, 2022, 10:16 pm Post #11 - November 16th, 2022, 10:16 pm
    ekreider wrote:I have an upright freezer but my late parents at different times have had both types. There are two big considerations in my mind. First, the footprint relative to capacity is much greater for a chest freezer. This factor alone will dominate in many cases. Second, the chest freezer is great when you have a lot of packages of the same few things. The upright provides better access if you have a few packages each of a lot of different items. Somebody with a large garden who also raises batches of chickens or buys quarters or halves of beef is a much better prospect for a chest freezer than someone who buys moderate quantities of different things when they are at sale prices.

A smaller consideration other things being equal is that a chest freezer uses less electricity because there is not major air exchange with the room every time the door is opened. Other smaller considerations are how much bending and lifting you want to do putting large items in and out of the depths of a chest freezer or trying to read labels down there when you wear bifocals. What works well at forty may not be so great at eighty says someone who is over 80.

Reusable shopping bags are a must for keeping the chest freezer organized and accessing what’s in there. Seafood in one, beef/pork in another, veggies in another, etc. And I only store certain things in it. Smaller, more frequently used items go in the kitchen freezer.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more