LTH Home

Any suggestions for using humungous sweet potatoes?

Any suggestions for using humungous sweet potatoes?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Any suggestions for using humungous sweet potatoes?

Post #1 - November 25th, 2022, 6:02 pm
    Post #1 - November 25th, 2022, 6:02 pm Post #1 - November 25th, 2022, 6:02 pm
    Hi- I love Henry Brockman's sweet potatoes, and this year he posted his bulk list at midnight, and so I was able to order a lot of stuff that he normally runs out of quick, such as 10 pounds of #2 carrots. I got 10 pounds of #2 sweet potatoes from him, and I got a total of 7 sweet potatoes. One of the sweet potatoes is baby size, and one is regular size, and one is maybe 3/4 of a pounds, which I could finish in one meal because I love sweet potatoes, but the other four are humungous, and I will have to use them in soup maybe. The #2 ones were half price. Does anybody have any recipes that call for two pounds of sweet potatoes? I love gypsy soup which is in Moosewood, and I have a recipe for sweet potato, pumpkin and peanut butter soup that I could try that uses 1 1/2 pounds of sweet potato, but does any body have any other recipes? One of the large sweet potatoes is white inside, and it is supposed to be really good, and I might take it to my sister's in Michigan at Christmas time, but the problem is that my sister just opens up a can of candied yams for Christmas dinner, and then she will fix a single sweet potato for me, because she knows I don't like candied yams.

These recipes might be a good way for people to use up the $.19 a pound sweet potatoes that people got at Jewel. I did get over nine pounds of sweet potatoes at Jewel too, but those I can just stick in the oven. I bought smaller sweet potatoes.

Did anybody buy any of the white sweet potatoes that Henry Brockman sold this year? How were they? Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #2 - November 25th, 2022, 6:28 pm
    Post #2 - November 25th, 2022, 6:28 pm Post #2 - November 25th, 2022, 6:28 pm
    Not know your likes and such, my only suggestion is a sweet potato pie(s).
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #3 - November 26th, 2022, 7:18 am
    Post #3 - November 26th, 2022, 7:18 am Post #3 - November 26th, 2022, 7:18 am
    This is a great way to use up sweet potatoes and (very) old bananas.

SWEET POTATO & BANANA PANCAKES
    Makes about 10 small pancakes*
    Ingredients
    • 2 eggs
    • 1 very ripe banana
    • ½ cup cooked and mashed sweet potato
    • butter for pan (or cooking spray or evoo, if preferred)
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Instructions
    Mash the ripe banana (the riper, the sweeter).
    Add in the mashed sweet potato and mix well.
    Add in eggs and mix well.
    Melt some butter in the pan (or, use non-stick spray) pan.
    Cook silver dollar size pancakes* until they firm up or start to bubble and then flip them.
    The banana will caramelize and appear black without burning. Remove the pancakes from the pan when they are done to your liking.
    Taste these before adding any toppers. If you wish, try topping these with maple syrup, honey or your favorite fruit jam.
    NOTE: This is a very flexible recipe. You can play with the amounts – and ratio – of sweets/bananas and we like to add more vanilla. And it’s gluten-free but very tasty.
    *We are going to try making a big batch by using the sheet-pan method for feeding a group at brunch.
  • Post #4 - November 26th, 2022, 8:54 am
    Post #4 - November 26th, 2022, 8:54 am Post #4 - November 26th, 2022, 8:54 am
    Hi,

Jewel had those huge sweet potatoes. I dug around to find small ones, which I can use here and there. Breaking into a large one is a commitment I do not want.

Ham and Sweet Potato Hash with Fried Eggs from Bon Appétit | November 2005. I have never used watercress called for in this recipe. Sometimes I top with fried eggs, but more often just serve it without.

I have made sweet potato pie with pumpkin pie seasoning, it is difficult to tell the difference between either style of pie.

I may roast more than I immediately need in the oven, then use the sweet potatoes various ways.

CLipped in my recipe file:
    BRAISED SWEET POTATOES WITH CORIANDER, ORANGE AND OLIVES, MARCH-APRIL 2021 - Milk Street
    CARROT, SWEET POTATO AND SPINACH EGGAH (type of frittata) - MILK STREET
    SWEET POTATO AND BLACK-EYED PEA STEW - MILK STREET

I am glad I looked, because I will need to whittle down my almost 10-pound purchase of sweet potatoes, too.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #5 - November 27th, 2022, 7:17 pm
    Post #5 - November 27th, 2022, 7:17 pm Post #5 - November 27th, 2022, 7:17 pm
    Nancy,

They keep uncooked for a while.

I would cut one in half and roast it. They refrigerate roasted, and reheat well, for a few days.

Otherwise mash and freeze in portions that work for you.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #6 - December 18th, 2022, 12:48 am
    Post #6 - December 18th, 2022, 12:48 am Post #6 - December 18th, 2022, 12:48 am
    Hi- I just used the largest of the sweet potatoes in a soup that I made tonight. The sweet potato weighed 2 1/4 pounds, and I used it to make Three P Soup from Jane Brody's Good Food Gourmet. The recipe makes eight servings of soup. I cooked the sweet potato on Thursday. I cut it in quarters so it would not take forever to cook, and plus the whole sweet potato would not fit in my oven unless I rearranged a rack. I then removed the skin from the sweet potato, and put the sweet potato in a food processor for a few seconds. I then melted some butter in a large pan and sautéed some minced onion in it, and then I then added my sweet potato, and two cups of canned pumpkin. I then added a cup of natural peanut butter and 8 cups of chicken broth and cooked it for 25 minutes. I then added 2 t of mustard, 1/2 t of nutmeg, and some pepper after I finished cooking it. It was good, and I got to use all of my sweet potato. Here is the recipe.
    https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/memb ... p-50050124

This version says to use 1 1/4 pounds of sweet potato, but the original version in Jane Brody's book, says to use 1 1/2 pounds. Once the sweet potato is cooked, you are supposed to end up with two cups of sweet potato, once you peel it. I might make the recipe again. Hope this helps, Nancy

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more