LTH Home

Freezer hacks…

Freezer hacks…
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Freezer hacks…

Post #1 - January 25th, 2023, 3:37 pm
    Post #1 - January 25th, 2023, 3:37 pm Post #1 - January 25th, 2023, 3:37 pm
    A real time saver for gumbos or étouffés. Temper frozen roux for 15 minutes and use a box grater to incorporate.
    I use the oven method for dark roux. Chill overnight in desired container before unmoulding and vacuum sealing.
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.
  • Post #2 - January 25th, 2023, 3:47 pm
    Post #2 - January 25th, 2023, 3:47 pm Post #2 - January 25th, 2023, 3:47 pm
    I made my first "for real" gumbo for New Year's this year. While researching, one method for roux was to simply brown dry flour on a baking sheet in the oven (stirring every few minutes) until uniformly dark brown, then storing in an air tight container. When wanted for use, just heat with oil or butter. The tester claimed very minimal differences in the final product from starting with raw ingredients. Anyone have experience with doing it that way? After making my first dark roux, and not cutting it short due to being the impatient jackass that I am, I was surprised that it took 45 minutes instead of the 20 I was expecting.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #3 - January 25th, 2023, 4:28 pm
    Post #3 - January 25th, 2023, 4:28 pm Post #3 - January 25th, 2023, 4:28 pm
    I've done that for gumbo, albeit using a cast iron skillet not a baking sheet, and I was happy with the results - the caveat being that I've never made gumbo the traditional way.
  • Post #4 - January 25th, 2023, 5:28 pm
    Post #4 - January 25th, 2023, 5:28 pm Post #4 - January 25th, 2023, 5:28 pm
    Saw it once at The Standard Club, seebee.
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more