LTH Home

Fish bone removal - best tool(s) for the job?

Fish bone removal - best tool(s) for the job?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Fish bone removal - best tool(s) for the job?

Post #1 - January 27th, 2023, 12:44 am
    Post #1 - January 27th, 2023, 12:44 am Post #1 - January 27th, 2023, 12:44 am
    Moderator note: We split this discussion off from this thread.

ronnie_suburban wrote:Promised myself I'd try to make more fish/seafood this year and so far, I'm sticking to it, this time with a batch of misoyaki sable fish . . .

Mise En Place & Takayuki VG-10 Hammered Damascus Petty, 80mm
    Mirin, sake, sable fish, shiro miso and sugar.

Made a marinade from the 4 ingredients in the back row and marinated the fish in it for about 24 hours in a zip-top bag. I didn't think I'd need a knife for this at all but the fish had quite a few firmly ensconced pin bones that, even with some good fish tweezers, I could not remove. So, I cut a couple of the wider pieces in half lengthwise, removing the small strips of flesh that contained all the bones. Still new, the Takayuki sliced through the fish, including the skin, like a razor. Once removed from the marinade, I broiled the fish for about 12 minutes (475F convection broil) until it browned lightly.

Also wanted to include a fresh side dish . . .

Cabbage Mise En Place & Sukenari HAP40 Gyuto, 210mm
    Avocado oil, sansho peppercorns (later ground into powder), green cabbage, shirodashi, shoyu, sake, red onion and microplaned ginger.

Just stir-fried this to create a bed for the fish, then served it up . . .

Plated Up
    With some leftover/reheated jasmine rice.

=R=

Ronnie,
    Have you ever tried a good pair of needle nose plyers, made in the good ol’ USA?
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.
  • Post #2 - January 27th, 2023, 9:36 am
    Post #2 - January 27th, 2023, 9:36 am Post #2 - January 27th, 2023, 9:36 am
    Evil Ronnie wrote:Ronnie,
    Have you ever tried a good pair of needle nose plyers, made in the good ol’ USA?
    Mr. Evil, is there a brand and pair you recommend? Thanks.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #3 - January 27th, 2023, 10:55 am
    Post #3 - January 27th, 2023, 10:55 am Post #3 - January 27th, 2023, 10:55 am
    That turns out to be a challenge. These Klein's would be good, as would the Channellock Little Champs, but I can't find an easy source for those.
  • Post #4 - January 27th, 2023, 12:17 pm
    Post #4 - January 27th, 2023, 12:17 pm Post #4 - January 27th, 2023, 12:17 pm
    Respect for the Klein's and Channellock Little Champs, but if needlenosedness is not essential, I propose that the hands-down winner for maximum no-slip grip strength in the pliers category is the Craftsman Professional Robo Grip.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #5 - January 27th, 2023, 12:44 pm
    Post #5 - January 27th, 2023, 12:44 pm Post #5 - January 27th, 2023, 12:44 pm
    Xexo wrote:
    Mr. Evil, is there a brand and pair you recommend? Thanks.

Cooks of my generation used Sears Craftsman, which were $4-5. Looks like some copycat versions are available. These enable you to really dig in deep and pull any pin bone, even large grouper or snapper…Somehow, I have three pair in a drawer.

Last edited by Evil Ronnie on January 27th, 2023, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #6 - January 27th, 2023, 12:51 pm
    Post #6 - January 27th, 2023, 12:51 pm Post #6 - January 27th, 2023, 12:51 pm
    Definitely agree on the Craftsman Robo Grip, but they might be a little bulky for fish bones. I was focusing on the American-made aspect, which is pretty limiting. Pretty sure no new Craftsman tools are American-made at this point.

Removing that specification, I think I'd pick these: https://www.amazon.com/Myco-Stainless-N ... B01BCUNY4K for washability, low price and the spring.
  • Post #7 - January 27th, 2023, 12:54 pm
    Post #7 - January 27th, 2023, 12:54 pm Post #7 - January 27th, 2023, 12:54 pm
    tjr wrote:Definitely agree on the Craftsman Robo Grip, but they might be a little bulky for fish bones. I was focusing on the American-made aspect, which is pretty limiting. Pretty sure no new Craftsman tools are American-made at this point.

Removing that specification, I think I'd pick these: https://www.amazon.com/Myco-Stainless-N ... B01BCUNY4K for washability, low price and the spring.

These look great to me!
  • Post #8 - January 29th, 2023, 2:22 pm
    Post #8 - January 29th, 2023, 2:22 pm Post #8 - January 29th, 2023, 2:22 pm
    These are old Craftsman, and outstanding for 30# and up whole grouper and snapper, any salmon…Image

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more