LTH Home

Chicken, beef, shrimp on a stick

Chicken, beef, shrimp on a stick
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Chicken, beef, shrimp on a stick

Post #1 - May 26th, 2023, 4:57 am
    Post #1 - May 26th, 2023, 4:57 am Post #1 - May 26th, 2023, 4:57 am
    I've never forgotten and never found the equal of my first chicken satay, 26 years ago now, chicken pieces grilled on skewers with a peanut dipping sauce and cool cucumber accompaniment, in the huge basement dining hall of a Japanese shopping mall in Hong Kong, a deliciously cool space in every sense on a sweltering day outside. (We used to say we arrived during Hong Kong's Humidity Festival, which runs 12 months a year).

I've been saving recipes for chicken, beef, and shrimp skewers, kebabs, and satay for a long time but have never really dug in to testing them and developing regular ways to do them. Now I want to. I bought a large package of boneless skinless chicken thighs to do some testing this Memorial Day weekend. I'll be using either a gas grill or a little charcoal hibachi. I'm going to start with Thai-style chicken satay with peanut sauce, but I'm interested in learning about anyone's techniques for any kind of chicken, beef, or shrimp on skewers: kebab, yakitori, satay; your marinades, your dipping sauces. Do the same marinade recipes work for all three? What's essential to (either the marinade or the sauce for) a Japanese yakitori vs a Thai satay vs a Middle Eastern kebab? Some marinade recipes discourage me with a lot of ingredients I don't see using for anything else (do I need ground coriander, or just some cilantro stems?) I'm open to any advice, techniques, and recipes.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #2 - May 26th, 2023, 6:25 pm
    Post #2 - May 26th, 2023, 6:25 pm Post #2 - May 26th, 2023, 6:25 pm
    Great topic. I look forward to any suggestions, of which I have none.
  • Post #3 - May 27th, 2023, 6:55 am
    Post #3 - May 27th, 2023, 6:55 am Post #3 - May 27th, 2023, 6:55 am
    Ground coriander is quite different from cilantro, and a key flavor in curries, Middle Eastern, Thai and other cuisines.

I like kebabs for their portability - a bag full of marinated chunks of meat (or paneer, haloumi, or tofu) in your cooler and you can elevate a picnic or camping dinner. I once did a Thai grilled chicken (not Satay, from shesimmers), putting charcoal on an old metal shelf, skewers suspended between two stacks of bricks as an instant hibachi.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #4 - May 27th, 2023, 2:06 pm
    Post #4 - May 27th, 2023, 2:06 pm Post #4 - May 27th, 2023, 2:06 pm
    We do a lot of Yakatori with the chicken parts from the chickens I get from my farmer friend. I got two last week and am do for another two this weekend.
    My friend is very good in making sure each chicken has a neck, liver, heart and Gizzard. Along with the part that goes over the fence last, strips from the thighs or breasts, I thread them on wooden skewers along with veggies and grill. The sauces are a standard Japanese three part mix, vinegar, shoyu, sugar and I add grated ginger. In watching UTube vids from Japan, it appears to me that the sauce is brushed on while cooking or added after with no marination. I also make a curry dip with curry powder, sour cream and salt. Hot mustard or other type chile condiments rounds out the usual sauces.
    I rarely do Thai with peanut sauce, no help there except to say add fish sauce and cilantro.
    Coriander is for kabobs.
    I do a lot of ground lamb kabobs and the flavors range from Turkish, to Pakistani and Afgan. Usually garbanzo bean flour is added as a binder.
    Utube is your friend here.
    I save videos that show what I want to prepare.
    Lately Chapli Kabobs have caught my eye and the method to make them. Basically hamburger patty shape but loaded with spices, fried in oil. I add fresh pomegranate seeds.
    -Richard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more