LTH Home

Cevapcic-i-thon continues at home

Cevapcic-i-thon continues at home
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - July 25th, 2008, 7:10 am
    Post #31 - July 25th, 2008, 7:10 am Post #31 - July 25th, 2008, 7:10 am
    d4v3 wrote:
    Erzsi wrote:When I head into the city to buy mine I usually get mine from Lalich Deli.
    Lalich Cevaps are indeed wonderful, but they only make them on certain days, and they sell out quickly, so call ahead. Zoran Lalich also make some truly amazing bacon, and he will roast a whole lamb, goat or pig for you.

Oh weird. I didn't know that. I usually make the trip in on a Saturday or Sunday morning and have never came across them being out before. I guess I've always had good luck! I did get up there once before phoning first only to find them on a week long vacation. That was pretty dissapointing but I went over onto Irving Park to stock up at Beograd Meat Market. They also make a nice Cevapcic but I think Lalich has more flavor in theirs.

Beograd Meat Market
    2937 W. Irving Park Rd.
    Chicago, IL 60618 773-478-7575
    One Mint Julep was the cause of it all.
  • Post #32 - July 25th, 2008, 7:37 am
    Post #32 - July 25th, 2008, 7:37 am Post #32 - July 25th, 2008, 7:37 am
    Erzsi wrote:Oh weird. I didn't know that. I usually make the trip in on a Saturday or Sunday morning and have never came across them being out before.
    I should qualify that. On a few occasions, I have been to the store in Niles mid-week and they were out of Cevaps. I was told to come back later in the week (thursday?). Maybe that doesn't apply to the store on Lawrence or on weekends.
  • Post #33 - July 25th, 2008, 9:18 am
    Post #33 - July 25th, 2008, 9:18 am Post #33 - July 25th, 2008, 9:18 am
    Here is a recipe for mici from one of my former students, Angelo *escu.

ANGELO'S MICI

5 Cloves garlic, peeled, pureed
    1/4 c Water
    1 lb Ground chuck
    2/3 lb Coarsely ground pork
    1/2 lb Ground lamb
    1 ts Baking soda
    1 1/2 ts Salt
    1 ts Black pepper
    1/2 ts Dried thyme, whole
    1/2 ts Dried basil
    1/2 c Beef stock

Crush the garlic well. Stir the meat, baking soda, seasonings, and garlic puree together. Add Beef Stock and mix well. For each sausage, take 1/3 cup of the meat mixture, and roll between the palms of your hands into a sausage shape about 4 inches long. Place sausages side by side in a container and cover. Refrigerate overnight so that the flavors can blend. These are excellent on the grill. They may also be broiled or baked in the oven. Broil the sausages about 3 minutes per side until cooked through and browned.. HINT: When hand rolling sausages or meatballs of any kind, keep a small bowl of water near you so that you can keep your hands a bit wet. This way the meat will not stick to your hands.

Angelo says that he also sprays the almost-ready sausages with beer, just before taking them off the grill.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #34 - October 11th, 2010, 12:44 pm
    Post #34 - October 11th, 2010, 12:44 pm Post #34 - October 11th, 2010, 12:44 pm
    Just some thanks to the forum for turning me on to Azur meats. Wanted to make some cevaps for a family get together and it was truly a one stop shop.

Cevaps.. Flatbread (Lepinja??) Ajvar and Kajmak. Everything was extremely fresh.. the bread was still warm when i took it home.

Blew a few minds w/ these and it was pretty minimal effort:

judging by the multiple "this number has been disconnected" messages i got on saturday trying to find a good bosnian bakery, the numbers are dwindling.
  • Post #35 - October 11th, 2010, 8:01 pm
    Post #35 - October 11th, 2010, 8:01 pm Post #35 - October 11th, 2010, 8:01 pm
    nr706 wrote:I find it interesting that cevapcici gets so much attention here.

When I lived in Zagreb, the big three meats were, in this order, raznici, cevapcici, and plescaviza.

Plescaviza is basically a spiced hamburger, but does antyone know where to get good raznici in this town?

Not in Chicago, but some of the better raznici I've had on this side of the Atlantic are at the Old Time Serbian Gourmet House, 90 minutes north in Milwaukee:

Map to Old Time Serbian Gourmet House,

They also serve tasty kajmak, the Serbian salad is not to be missed, and an excellent burek of beef, as well as decent cevapcici. Try the off-menu mixed grill of raznici and cevapcici for the best of both worlds.

But as for cevapcici in particular, I prefer my home made, prepared in accordance to my Slovenian grandpa's recipe, grilled, never pan fried or broiled... :D
    Charter member of PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
  • Post #36 - October 12th, 2010, 10:50 am
    Post #36 - October 12th, 2010, 10:50 am Post #36 - October 12th, 2010, 10:50 am
    I liked Old Town Serbian when we had an LTH dinner there.
  • Post #37 - September 6th, 2012, 8:54 am
    Post #37 - September 6th, 2012, 8:54 am Post #37 - September 6th, 2012, 8:54 am
    I'm in Oak Park - wondering if anyone knows if there are any good sources of cevapcic nearby-ish. If not, looks like the place to go is Azur Meats? We're planning on taking advantage of this weekend for another backyard bbq before the weather gets too cold :)
  • Post #38 - September 6th, 2012, 10:43 am
    Post #38 - September 6th, 2012, 10:43 am Post #38 - September 6th, 2012, 10:43 am
    Grizzly--I noticed that you didn't come right out and offer to share that recipe with us... Would you?? :twisted:

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #39 - September 6th, 2012, 10:52 am
    Post #39 - September 6th, 2012, 10:52 am Post #39 - September 6th, 2012, 10:52 am
    I'd be interested to see it, too. My current recipe is 1/2 lamb, and then either 1/4 beef 1/4 pork, or 1/2 beef. And I've discovered that baking soda (as I see present in your recipe) is key for the type of light texture that I like in it. (Then some garlic, black pepper, paprika, and salt or Vegeta.)

You've inspired me to research more on this, specifically Bosnian cevapi (as they are my favorite) and it looks like a lot of recipes, at least in the original language, contain an aging/fermentation step. I've come across a number of recipes where the technique is to cube your meat, add garlic water and salt, let rest for 24 hours in the fridge. Then grind. Add spices, grind again, and leave at room temperature for anywhere from 1-5 hours to continue developing lactic acid. Refrigerate (preferably overnight), add baking soda, and grill. I'm going to have to try this soon.
  • Post #40 - September 16th, 2015, 7:05 pm
    Post #40 - September 16th, 2015, 7:05 pm Post #40 - September 16th, 2015, 7:05 pm
    LTH,

Emergency dental work a few weeks ago necessitated a stop at a dental lab the owner, a Romanian by way of Israel, praised City Fresh cevapcici, I've made them twice now and heartily agree with his assessment.

Torshi from Mr. Falalel, bread (samoon) Eastern Breadstone, Kaymak, feta and Ajvar City Fresh Market.

City Fresh Market
    3201 W Devon Ave
    Chicago, IL 60659
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles