LTH Home

Oddities @ Woodman's

Oddities @ Woodman's
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 3
  • Post #31 - February 2nd, 2009, 10:39 am
    Post #31 - February 2nd, 2009, 10:39 am Post #31 - February 2nd, 2009, 10:39 am
    I just went to the Oak Creek one, and it was too busy for me. I found the aisles confusing. But there was a lot of neat stuff, and I wish I needed more groceries this week. I picked up five different cheeses (one Beer Kaese, ButterKaese, Red Leicester Balmour, Beemster mustard, and fresh cheddar curds, which Pie Dude immediately pronounced as tasting like a cheese flavored balloon before spitting it out. Pfft. Cheese-ist). Why didn't I pick up that blue cheese??? :x

I was pissed that the day wasn't colder, so I could check out the reportedly better-than-average frozen pizzas, the huge ice cream section, etc. If I still wasn't polishing off Christmas cookies, I would've delved into the cookie aisle, and spent more time at the bakery. I had to close my eyes in those areas. I did notice stuff from Thompson's bakery; oh how I miss them! I wish they had more in the fizzy beverage section. But the produce, wow, that was some fine shopping there. I also picked up some neato beans for chili - purple head, black with lime juice (although I have seen those before), pintos with jalapenos and black-eyed peas with green beans.

We're going to Door County this spring, so I'm going to insist we stop here for some eats to sustain us before we get to our cabin.

Bonus: samples. Why can't Jewel do this anymore? Bastards.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #32 - February 3rd, 2009, 8:18 am
    Post #32 - February 3rd, 2009, 8:18 am Post #32 - February 3rd, 2009, 8:18 am
    On my last trip to Woodman's in North Aurora on Saturday, I noticed they were installing numerous self checkout lanes. This will be a huge help because for a store that has maybe 30 checkout lanes, usually only 6 are open on a Saturday morning.
  • Post #33 - December 20th, 2009, 10:56 pm
    Post #33 - December 20th, 2009, 10:56 pm Post #33 - December 20th, 2009, 10:56 pm
    Hi,

When I walk into the Kenosha location, I always check the marked down products in carts near the door. Tonight they had grocery bags filled with bananas for $1.49 each. A clerk advised this banana sell out occurs every two weeks, because the bananas ripen faster than they can be sold.

I did buy two bags, which I dropped off on my way home to two banana-happy households.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #34 - January 31st, 2010, 6:00 pm
    Post #34 - January 31st, 2010, 6:00 pm Post #34 - January 31st, 2010, 6:00 pm
    Hi,

Yesterday's pleasant surprise:

Teibel's of Schererville, Indiana's rolls are baked by Rosens, which ended up at Woodman's in Kenosha. A combo one only finds at Woodman's.

Teibel's Family Restaurant http://www.teibels.com
    1775 U.S. 41
    Schererville, IN 46375-1695
    (219) 865-2000

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #35 - January 31st, 2010, 10:17 pm
    Post #35 - January 31st, 2010, 10:17 pm Post #35 - January 31st, 2010, 10:17 pm
    I liked some of the exotic imports, such as tuna-stuffed olives. I thought Woodman's was a hoot. It's probably a good thing it isn't closer. I already shop too much. :)
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #36 - January 31st, 2010, 10:59 pm
    Post #36 - January 31st, 2010, 10:59 pm Post #36 - January 31st, 2010, 10:59 pm
    Hi,

I was just at Teibel's catering website. the price of rolls are each 55 cents or 5.95 per dozen.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #37 - February 13th, 2010, 10:21 pm
    Post #37 - February 13th, 2010, 10:21 pm Post #37 - February 13th, 2010, 10:21 pm
    Cathy,

I saw this afternoon that Teibel's rolls are also sold by the dozen at Paulina Market.

:twisted:
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.
  • Post #38 - April 1st, 2011, 10:10 pm
    Post #38 - April 1st, 2011, 10:10 pm Post #38 - April 1st, 2011, 10:10 pm
    I went to Woodman's today in North Aurora. Turns out its an easy drive during the weekday and only took about twenty min from where I live. Truly blew my mind. The store is immense. They have so many food stuffs there....I don't think I've ever been in a food store that large. The immense selection they carry of items that are rarely seen anywhere else. I only bought two bags of groceries....Polish rye from some bakery on Milwaukee ave....mushrooms....Hero cherry preserves....milk, etc...... Weuawega butter....shaved smoked turkey.... a few other knick knacks....

If you like grocery stores and shopping, I recommend a trip to Woodmans. I imagine it gets pretty crowded there on the weekends so plan accordingly.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #39 - February 26th, 2012, 7:27 am
    Post #39 - February 26th, 2012, 7:27 am Post #39 - February 26th, 2012, 7:27 am
    We hadnt been to Woodmans in about 2 years, really enjoyed our visit yesterday, and were able to knock out a weeks worth of groceries in one stop, really rare. Affordable, well stocked.

Good looking produce, natural chicken, unenhanced pork,(sometimes i cant make it out to my kind pork sources) competitive sundry items. I liked the regional selections of sausages, meats, etc.

We were driving about 45 minutes each way to go to shop @ Strack & Van Til in Plainfield for our main grocery source, but i think we will do the same distance drive and give Woodmans a shot for a while.
  • Post #40 - February 26th, 2012, 11:12 am
    Post #40 - February 26th, 2012, 11:12 am Post #40 - February 26th, 2012, 11:12 am
    I was at the Kenosha store last week and saw three NEW things:

Turducken
    Cajun Stuffed turkey

On several occasion, I had seen Tony Chachere's brand turduckens but this one was new. It was about $69 for a 14# bird.

Lutefisk

Looked like it was $9.50/lb It was a pretty unattractive to say the least.

============================================

They generally have ungraded beef tenderloin for $4.99? Has anyone had any experience with the product.
  • Post #41 - February 27th, 2012, 9:13 am
    Post #41 - February 27th, 2012, 9:13 am Post #41 - February 27th, 2012, 9:13 am
    It's the only place in Illinois that I'm aware of that carries those squeeky little things called cheese curds. :lol: (I'm sure sure there are others, particularly as one gets closer to the cheddar curtain, but I am not aware.)

I also like their boneless pork rib tip trimmings. I've used those numerous times to make pulled pork in my Weber smoker and IMO they smoke better than butts.

I also like their wide selection of juices, among other things. Not all stores carry Clamato (which I like and SWMBO won't touch. ;) )

Their gasoline prices usually beat everyone else, but you have to pay in cash. (The store can take debit cards but last time I was there, the gas station was not so equipped.)

Too bad their North Aurora store is just a bit too far to be convenient.
  • Post #42 - February 27th, 2012, 9:21 am
    Post #42 - February 27th, 2012, 9:21 am Post #42 - February 27th, 2012, 9:21 am
    HankB wrote:Their gasoline prices usually beat everyone else, but you have to pay in cash. (The store can take debit cards but last time I was there, the gas station was not so equipped.)

HI,

I was at Captain Porky's near the Wisconsin border last week. Since they straddle the WI-IL border, they would be more aware of where to go for better prices.

They also recommended Woodman's, if it was during regular service hours and you paid in cash. They got busy, but I didn't ask what was on my mind: their posted prices look the same or a little more than others around Highway 50. How much is the cash discount?

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #43 - February 27th, 2012, 9:33 am
    Post #43 - February 27th, 2012, 9:33 am Post #43 - February 27th, 2012, 9:33 am
    Cathy2 wrote:They also recommended Woodman's, if it was during regular service hours and you paid in cash. They got busy, but I didn't ask what was on my mind: their posted prices look the same or a little more than others around Highway 50. How much is the cash discount?

I got gas at the Kenosha Woodman's a couple of weeks ago. Pay at the pump was the same price - cash or credit. It was a few cents cheaper than the Shell next door.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #44 - February 27th, 2012, 9:48 am
    Post #44 - February 27th, 2012, 9:48 am Post #44 - February 27th, 2012, 9:48 am
    Is the "no credit card" policy still in effect in the store? Is there any problem with out of state checks?
    What disease did cured ham actually have?
  • Post #45 - February 27th, 2012, 10:04 am
    Post #45 - February 27th, 2012, 10:04 am Post #45 - February 27th, 2012, 10:04 am
    Elfin wrote:Is the "no credit card" policy still in effect in the store? Is there any problem with out of state checks?

No credit cards, but debit/check cards. Not sure aboot the out of state checks.

One nice thing I noticed was the ATM is a "no fee" ATM.

as for the gas I didnt notice their price any different than the others in that area, i think gas prices when you get out of Cook and its collar counties will surprise alot of folks. I know I pay at least $.30 -.40/gallon less out west mostly due to taxes.
    Last edited by jimswside on February 27th, 2012, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #46 - February 27th, 2012, 10:08 am
    Post #46 - February 27th, 2012, 10:08 am Post #46 - February 27th, 2012, 10:08 am
    Woodman's North Aurora location, the gas is usually comparable to Sam's Club gas which runs about 10 to 20 cents a gallon less. We just stick with Sam's because it's closer to us and the Woodman's gas is a pain because you have to go inside to pay by check.
  • Post #47 - February 27th, 2012, 10:49 am
    Post #47 - February 27th, 2012, 10:49 am Post #47 - February 27th, 2012, 10:49 am
    Hi,

At the pump when you pay by credit card, you pay the posted price. The discount (how much?) is when you walk in to pay by cash.

I have paid with out of state checks at Woodmans without any issue.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #48 - February 27th, 2012, 11:00 am
    Post #48 - February 27th, 2012, 11:00 am Post #48 - February 27th, 2012, 11:00 am
    I was happy with this lump charcoal they had at Woodmans(never seen it before),

Grove lump.. which naked whiz rated pretty high, and I agree with their score. Long, hot, clean burn.

Grove lump and a piece of my applewood:

fired all my Weber toys this weekend:

trimmed spares from Woodman's & BB's from CP Meats:

• Post #49 - February 27th, 2012, 8:54 pm
    Post #49 - February 27th, 2012, 8:54 pm Post #49 - February 27th, 2012, 8:54 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    HankB wrote:They also recommended Woodman's, if it was during regular service hours and you paid in cash. They got busy, but I didn't ask what was on my mind: their posted prices look the same or a little more than others around Highway 50. How much is the cash discount?

I did not think that I had enough gas to make it all the way to Kenosha so I stopped about five miles short ... and paid about 0.10/gal more than Woodman's - $3.29 vs. $3.19..

The one in Carpentersville is generally competitive with the other stations.

By the way, they are carrying more of the "Take and Bake" breads from Minneapolis.
  • Post #50 - February 28th, 2012, 4:52 pm
    Post #50 - February 28th, 2012, 4:52 pm Post #50 - February 28th, 2012, 4:52 pm
    jimswside wrote:I was happy with this lump charcoal they had at Woodmans(never seen it before),

Grove lump.. which naked whiz rated pretty high, and I agree with their score. Long, hot, clean burn.

I need an excuse to head out that way. Do you recall the price?

Nice set of Webers. I don't often get all of mine fired at once.
  • Post #51 - February 28th, 2012, 4:55 pm
    Post #51 - February 28th, 2012, 4:55 pm Post #51 - February 28th, 2012, 4:55 pm
    HankB wrote:
    jimswside wrote:I was happy with this lump charcoal they had at Woodmans(never seen it before),

I need an excuse to head out that way. Do you recall the price?

Nice set of Webers. I don't often get all of mine fired at once.

thanks, love using those kettles and the WSM.,

I believe the lump was $6 for the 10 lb. bag. THere was also a larger 18lbs perhaps that I dont recall the price.
  • Post #52 - March 7th, 2012, 8:19 am
    Post #52 - March 7th, 2012, 8:19 am Post #52 - March 7th, 2012, 8:19 am
    HankB wrote:I also like their boneless pork rib tip trimmings. I've used those numerous times to make pulled pork in my Weber smoker and IMO they smoke better than butts.

I made sure to check these out on my visit this past Saturday, are these just the boneless skirt trimmings or tips? looked like an interesting product.

I was really impressed with a naturally raised, air chilled chicken I bought this past weekend. @ $2.79/lb. Glad to see birds of this quality coming down in price and becoming more affordable/available.

• Post #53 - March 19th, 2012, 7:52 am
    Post #53 - March 19th, 2012, 7:52 am Post #53 - March 19th, 2012, 7:52 am
    made a special trip out to Woodmans after work Thursday for this Grove lump charcoal, Running it lately vs R.O. lump(big fan of RO, but liking the new stuff):

$12 for 20 lbs. pretty large chunks & burns hot and long.:

• Post #54 - April 9th, 2012, 7:22 am
    Post #54 - April 9th, 2012, 7:22 am Post #54 - April 9th, 2012, 7:22 am
    Crystal hot sauce in a realistic sized container(apple juice used for scale), $2.25 I believe.

• Post #55 - April 9th, 2012, 7:42 am
    Post #55 - April 9th, 2012, 7:42 am Post #55 - April 9th, 2012, 7:42 am
    I noticed they carry Tom Sturgis pretzels which I haven't seen since moving back from WI. Best pretzels I've had. I look for the bags w extra dark and or salty ones. :twisted:
  • Post #56 - November 11th, 2012, 12:00 pm
    Post #56 - November 11th, 2012, 12:00 pm Post #56 - November 11th, 2012, 12:00 pm
    I'm in Caledonia & need to get at least fruit, if nothing else. Is the Rockford location worth a look or should I just haul back to the city & hit Fresh Farms in Niles instead?
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #57 - November 11th, 2012, 12:04 pm
    Post #57 - November 11th, 2012, 12:04 pm Post #57 - November 11th, 2012, 12:04 pm
    pairs4life wrote:I'm in Caledonia & need to get at least fruit, if nothing else. Is the Rockford location worth a look or should I just haul back to the city & hit Fresh Farms in Niles instead?

Why not stop by? If you don;t find what you want, you can always go to Fresh Farms, too. They locally source produce and products as much as possible. You see things in their store, I never see anywhere else because of their local-sourcing practices.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #58 - November 11th, 2012, 12:18 pm
    Post #58 - November 11th, 2012, 12:18 pm Post #58 - November 11th, 2012, 12:18 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    pairs4life wrote:I'm in Caledonia & need to get at least fruit, if nothing else. Is the Rockford location worth a look or should I just haul back to the city & hit Fresh Farms in Niles instead?

Why not stop by? If you don;t find what you want, you can always go to Fresh Farms, too. They locally source produce and products as much as possible. You see things in their store, I never see anywhere else because of their local-sourcing practices.

Regards,

Thanks Cathy.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #59 - November 12th, 2012, 10:56 pm
    Post #59 - November 12th, 2012, 10:56 pm Post #59 - November 12th, 2012, 10:56 pm

I am in the Rockford store about twice a month. Personally, I think it one of the better ones - better than Kenosha or Janesville.

A lot of it depends on what you are shopping for. There are some things that I just don't buy there - fresh produce, fresh meat, and deli ite,s as an example.
  • Post #60 - November 12th, 2012, 11:37 pm
    Post #60 - November 12th, 2012, 11:37 pm Post #60 - November 12th, 2012, 11:37 pm
    The Oak Creek store is getting quite the reputation for being awful to check out of. Many of us refuse to go in there anymore. The kenosha seems quick to me and the one in the falls is hit or miss, but unlike the oak creek store it is better managed and will put more people on the check out lines if you ask or comment. At Oak Creek they actually argued that 15 people in a line was OK because hiring a couple of people for the rush times ate profits. So does customers not coming back.

On the gas prices. Wisconsin has a loss leader law of some type that you have to be within a certain percentage of wholesale, so gas does not get discounted as much.

I will say that I like the option of partridge, goose, duck, etc. at Woodmans. Walmart has frozen cornish hens cheaper though. My kid often wants one for an after school snack before dinner when he is on normal (non-sports) hours. The meat at the falls location is so-so to me.

My best find was hot dog rolls that were called "snuggies" and were great for crab and lobster rolls.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more