LTH Home

What did you do with the leftovers?

What did you do with the leftovers?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • What did you do with the leftovers?

Post #1 - November 25th, 2005, 9:44 am
    Post #1 - November 25th, 2005, 9:44 am Post #1 - November 25th, 2005, 9:44 am
    Of course, any Delk family get together involves Polish Sausage. My childhood friend, following in his father's footsteps, makes a sausage that transports me back to my childhood. The best part? I get two links of fresh, and two links of smoked to take home.

So, this AM, bleary eyed yet hungry, I made a frittata...
    Melted some goat cheese that was in my fridge...
    It had a hash brown crust...
    The crunchy potatoes contrasted nicely with the silky eggs...
    Quite the way to wake up...
    What did you do with your leftovers?
    Authorized time shifting let the genie out of the bottle....
  • Post #2 - November 25th, 2005, 5:43 pm
    Post #2 - November 25th, 2005, 5:43 pm Post #2 - November 25th, 2005, 5:43 pm
    Delk, your Polish sausage-goat cheese-potato frittata looks heavenly. But for me, the point of Thanksgiving leftovers is a heap of cold, congealed stuffing with a side of dark meat turkey. It tastes even better if eaten without the aid of a fork. (The stuffing is Bess Truman's version, adopted by my Kansas grandmother in the early '50's: sage, giblets and hard-boiled eggs with the celery-onion & bread crusts). Day two, my Minnesota heritage comes into play: Durkee's Famous Sauce on a turkey sandwich and the turkey carcass melting into a soup with wild rice. I never really understood the necessity of 7 days of turkey recipes after Thanksgiving: I've rarely had enough leftovers! By the way, are there any other Durkee's lovers on the board?
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #3 - November 25th, 2005, 6:17 pm
    Post #3 - November 25th, 2005, 6:17 pm Post #3 - November 25th, 2005, 6:17 pm
    round two....

About a pound of dark meat shredded and gently simmered in a 50/50 mix of Newcastle Ale and water.

Pound and a half loaf from D'Amato's split open and dressed with some French mustard, grated horseradish, and thinly sliced Fontina cheese.

Seasoned with some smoked salt

Pressed in a panini maker...

Lunch...
  • Post #4 - November 27th, 2005, 9:55 am
    Post #4 - November 27th, 2005, 9:55 am Post #4 - November 27th, 2005, 9:55 am
    More of the sausage...scrambled with eggs like my dad used to do it.. :D
    Fresh queso grated on top because, like Mt. Everest, it was there...

• Post #5 - November 27th, 2010, 3:20 pm
    Post #5 - November 27th, 2010, 3:20 pm Post #5 - November 27th, 2010, 3:20 pm
    Hi,

The first day was devoted to making turkey sandwiches: toast sourdough bread, on the bottom toast layer a healthy portion of stuffing, arrange turkey meat and finish with cranberry sauce, then firmly press the top piece of bread. This was a late breakfast and dinner.

Earlier in the week, I made turkey as well as lamb curry from hearth cooking class leftovers. A favorite for turkey leftovers will be bypassed simply out of boredom.

Today I made for lunch (and effectively dinner) N & J's CHICKEN POT PIE, which won first prize at the Indiana State Fair's Greater Midwest Foodways heirloom recipe competition. I made three deviations from the instructions: I used celery seed instead of celery salt; green beans instead of peas and cold water in the pastry instead of the recommended hot water.

Turkey Pot Pie by cal222, on Flickr
    Please note not so great attempt to have vent holes spell 'Indiana.'

Turkey Pot Pie Slice by cal222, on Flickr

Contemplating blue plate specials and turkey soup with wild rice.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #6 - November 27th, 2010, 5:11 pm
    Post #6 - November 27th, 2010, 5:11 pm Post #6 - November 27th, 2010, 5:11 pm
    Hash tonight with leftover turkey that I smoked, potatoes, carrots, and onions. Cook it until the crust forms, drizzle with a little worcester and sprinkle with parsley.
  • Post #7 - November 27th, 2010, 5:21 pm
    Post #7 - November 27th, 2010, 5:21 pm Post #7 - November 27th, 2010, 5:21 pm
    Had a turkey salad sandwich myself, thats about it for me with leftovers, I am not a big fan...
    Last edited by jimswside on November 28th, 2010, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #8 - November 27th, 2010, 5:48 pm
    Post #8 - November 27th, 2010, 5:48 pm Post #8 - November 27th, 2010, 5:48 pm
    So creative. I just made turkey veg soup!
  • Post #9 - November 28th, 2010, 9:33 am
    Post #9 - November 28th, 2010, 9:33 am Post #9 - November 28th, 2010, 9:33 am
    We made stuffing/sweet potato cakes mixed with an egg, coated in panko. Not bad at all (I swear). I kind of liked the little surprise bites of pecans and andouille sausage from the stuffing.

• Post #10 - November 28th, 2010, 5:19 pm
    Post #10 - November 28th, 2010, 5:19 pm Post #10 - November 28th, 2010, 5:19 pm
    Made turkey noodle soup with leftover carcass and meat shreds.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #11 - November 28th, 2010, 6:06 pm
    Post #11 - November 28th, 2010, 6:06 pm Post #11 - November 28th, 2010, 6:06 pm
    Turkey soup with Udon, turkey tetrazzini(almost as hallowed a tradition for us as Thanksgiving itself) and today stuffing cups filled with baked eggs and bacon.
  • Post #12 - November 28th, 2010, 6:37 pm
    Post #12 - November 28th, 2010, 6:37 pm Post #12 - November 28th, 2010, 6:37 pm
    Tortilla Soup from a Bayless book.
    i used to milk cows
  • Post #13 - November 28th, 2010, 10:38 pm
    Post #13 - November 28th, 2010, 10:38 pm Post #13 - November 28th, 2010, 10:38 pm
    First night was turkey croquettes - basically a thick white sauce with some gravy added mixed in with chopped up turkey, shallots, and celery. Rolled that in flour, egg, and then left over uncooked stuffing (AKA spiced breadcrumbs) and deep fried it. For a side I mixed leftover mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts to make bubble and squeak.

Second night was Turkey Pot Pie. Used Pepperidge Farm puff pastry and cooked some leeks, carrots, and potatoes to add to the turkey. Once again made a white sauce and mixed in some gravy for a sauce to mix everything in.

Finished off all the turkey meat tonight! Started making stock from the carcass this morning and had a bit of meat left for a soup to go with dinner. I'm going to keep the remainder of the stock going for awhile, but other than that we have nothing left from our Thanksgiving meal (and nothing thrown out)! This is a big first for me ;)
    It is VERY important to be smart when you're doing something stupid

- Chris

http://stavewoodworking.com
  • Post #14 - November 28th, 2010, 10:46 pm
    Post #14 - November 28th, 2010, 10:46 pm Post #14 - November 28th, 2010, 10:46 pm
    I can't say that I've made a bonafide meal out of leftovers, but I made the poutlry carcass broth (from 'bones') out of the leftover turkey from my mother in laws bird.

Making the broth made the house smell awesome, will try to report back when I use the broth.
    Life is on the wire, the rest is just waiting.
  • Post #15 - November 29th, 2010, 9:02 am
    Post #15 - November 29th, 2010, 9:02 am Post #15 - November 29th, 2010, 9:02 am
    What leftovers? I have a teenage nephew who plays sports, he suddenly appeared with his own containers and filled up! I don't mind though, I'd rather see him eat it than it go to waist! (Intended spelling of waist)
  • Post #16 - November 29th, 2010, 10:41 am
    Post #16 - November 29th, 2010, 10:41 am Post #16 - November 29th, 2010, 10:41 am
    I won a basket of cajun ingredients including a case of Tony Chachere's andouille at a silent auction just before the holiday, so the day after I took all the leftover dark meat and made a big pot of jambalaya.
    Cookingblahg.blogspot.com
  • Post #17 - November 29th, 2010, 10:45 am
    Post #17 - November 29th, 2010, 10:45 am Post #17 - November 29th, 2010, 10:45 am
    I went a little Bayless crazy with leftover turkey. Turkey, mushroom and spinach enchiladas with tomatillo sauce on Friday, turkey with zucchini and chayote in pumpkin seed pipian on Saturday, both out of Mexican Everyday.

I may be done putting turkey into green Mexican sauces for a little while.
    Dominic Armato
    Dining Critic
    The Arizona Republic and azcentral.com
  • Post #18 - November 29th, 2010, 3:50 pm
    Post #18 - November 29th, 2010, 3:50 pm Post #18 - November 29th, 2010, 3:50 pm
    it'll be turkey enchiladas verdes tonight!
  • Post #19 - December 7th, 2010, 2:05 pm
    Post #19 - December 7th, 2010, 2:05 pm Post #19 - December 7th, 2010, 2:05 pm
    Hi,

The final gasp of Thanksgiving turkey went into a lasagna. I could not bare to eat it straight yet again.

The turkey wild rice chowder swallowed up the remaining gravy and stuffing. Usually when I make over a gallon of soup, some ends up frozen for the distant future. Not this soup, it was eaten enthusiastically until it was gone.

We might have a turkey for Christmas, so yet another round of turkey leftovers in the near future.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #20 - December 7th, 2010, 2:41 pm
    Post #20 - December 7th, 2010, 2:41 pm Post #20 - December 7th, 2010, 2:41 pm
    after the enchiladas (which were pretty good!) I used up the remaining turkey and the gravy by making biscuits and gravy with heated up turkey and gravy instead of breakfast sausage. I added some sage and ginger to provide a bit more of a breakfast sausage-y flavor.
  • Post #21 - December 7th, 2010, 6:38 pm
    Post #21 - December 7th, 2010, 6:38 pm Post #21 - December 7th, 2010, 6:38 pm
    Post-Thanksgiving turkey tetrazzini is a long-standing tradition for us. Problem is, it went way too fast, and I want more. So I roasted some chicken pieces and I'm making another batch (a big batch, half for now and half for the freezer) tonight.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #22 - December 8th, 2010, 1:11 pm
    Post #22 - December 8th, 2010, 1:11 pm Post #22 - December 8th, 2010, 1:11 pm
    I have some fruit compote left. (one of my favorite things at Thanksgiving dinner). My brother-in-law made it for me the week before Thanksgiving. I left it in the fridge at work and went out of town. He thinks it's still fine to eat but a quick Google search said compote is good for about a week. I've had food poisoning once and that was enough. Am I taking a chance by eating it now? I know, crazy question, but it's so delicious, I hate to toss it!
  • Post #23 - December 8th, 2010, 7:06 pm
    Post #23 - December 8th, 2010, 7:06 pm Post #23 - December 8th, 2010, 7:06 pm
    Shamefacedly I confess that we're far too disorganized to get particularly creative with the leftovers.
    *Mrs. B. strips the carcass bare and then makes stock with it. With the stock, so far, she has made a wonderful gingered squash soup, as well as bowls and bowls of it served plain with white rice for the hidebound and reactionary boy. Hoping to have enough left for a risotto.
    * The meat is simply consumed, catch-as-catch-can in various sandwiches, grabbed mouthfuls on the fly, etc.
    * The stuffing (cornbread-pecan) is likewise consumed mostly cold from the fridge, often as a lunch in and of itself, or next to the leftover meat.
    * Some cold mashed potatoes (lots of carmelized onion, and the tang of good sour cream) were used to make quasi corquettes to go with breakfast eggs, and also just sucked down cold. As were the few remaining roasted, parm. sprinkled brussels sprouts.
    * The pumpkin layer cake with sweetened goat cheese icing lasted about another 2 days as well.
    "Strange how potent cheap music is."
  • Post #24 - May 17th, 2021, 4:15 pm
    Post #24 - May 17th, 2021, 4:15 pm Post #24 - May 17th, 2021, 4:15 pm
    Hi,

Mother's Day turkey is one meal away from history.

What was made with the turkey?
    - Turkey tetrazinni from the post-stock bits from the carcass. Cream sauce and mushrooms perk up, or at least hide, the turkey exhausted of flavor.
    - Fesenjan, which uses pomegranate molasses in a ground nut thickened sauce. Traditionally, it would be walnuts, the author preferred cashews and I used the almond flour I had on hand.
    - Moo shu turkey
    - Turkey chow fun
    - Only one turkey leg was eaten as-is from the refrigerator

I have part of a turkey breast and some gravy, so lunch tomorrow will knock turkey off the menu.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #25 - November 19th, 2022, 7:21 pm
    Post #25 - November 19th, 2022, 7:21 pm Post #25 - November 19th, 2022, 7:21 pm
    Hi,

From last Sunday's roast turkey, I made:
    - Eaten as-is by Dad
    - A few turkey, stuffing and cranberry sandwiches
    - Reserved a half-pound for Thanksgiving's fried rice
    - Creamed turkey with carrots and celery to eat over toast or leftover rice
    - Last bit was just under half pound, so I cooked a half-pound of mini-penne then sauced it with Patak's lentil and veggie tikka masala with pumpkin and sweet peppers, a quarter cup of leftover sauce intended for a Detroit style pizza, and the leftover turkey. This was eaten along with a bit of cranberry sauce.

Looking forward to a few days without poultry, then dig into the Chinese BBQ turkey on Thanksgiving.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more