LTH Home

Latke-arama

Latke-arama
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - October 11th, 2020, 9:09 am
    Post #61 - October 11th, 2020, 9:09 am Post #61 - October 11th, 2020, 9:09 am
    Went pretty far off the reservation with potato pancakes/latkes last night. BLT, fried green tomatoes for dinner, couple of large russets just sitting there saying eat me. Did not want to start grating, squeezing etc so, and this is where it gets kinky, I plopped a washed cubed potato, skin and all, into my Vita-Prep along with onion, jalapeno, garlic, s/p and cumin. Added a little water to help blend. Pureed to a weird foamy consistency and poured in a large bowl.

Mixed in white lily flour to thicken, though the batter was still loose. Let sit to re-hydrate, while I made a huge mess on the stove with the other dinner components, then pan fried in a mix of bacon grease and corn oil.

Small, thin, crisp, a shade dark, totally delicious. Crispy, light, great flavor, the bride said they were her favorite potato pancakes I had ever made.

click on image to enlarge

Not Jewish Grandmother approved but tasty.

Potato pancakes, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #62 - October 11th, 2020, 10:31 am
    Post #62 - October 11th, 2020, 10:31 am Post #62 - October 11th, 2020, 10:31 am
    G Wiv wrote:Went pretty far off the reservation with potato pancakes/latkes last night. BLT, fried green tomatoes for dinner, couple of large russets just sitting there saying eat me. Did not want to start grating, squeezing etc so, and this is where it gets kinky, I plopped a washed cubed potato, skin and all, into my Vita-Prep along with onion, jalapeno, garlic, s/p and cumin. Added a little water to help blend. Pureed to a weird foamy consistency and poured in a large bowl.

Mixed in white lily flour to thicken, though the batter was still loose. Let sit to re-hydrate, while I made a huge mess on the stove with the other dinner components, then pan fried in a mix of bacon grease and corn oil.

Small, thin, crisp, a shade dark, totally delicious. Crispy, light, great flavor, the bride said they were her favorite potato pancakes I had ever made.

click on image to enlarge

Not Jewish Grandmother approved but tasty.

Potato pancakes, count me a Fan!

Thanks for the inspirational post. I’ve got the essentials ingredients in the house for latkes as tonight’s dinner. They’re not just for Chanukah. :D
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #63 - October 11th, 2020, 10:37 am
    Post #63 - October 11th, 2020, 10:37 am Post #63 - October 11th, 2020, 10:37 am
    Dave148 wrote:Thanks for the inspirational post. I’ve got the essentials ingredients in the house for latkes as tonight’s dinner. They’re not just for Chanukah. :D

I neglected to mention the While Lily was self rising flour. If regular flour I'd add a wee bit of baking powder. I also tossed in a few tablespoons of cornmeal as it was at the ready for fried green tomatoes. Retrospectively, I might have added egg but the potato pancakes turned out really well so no need.

One large russet made a surprisingly large number of smallish potato pancakes. More than three people cared to eat though there were other components to dinner.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #64 - October 11th, 2020, 10:51 am
    Post #64 - October 11th, 2020, 10:51 am Post #64 - October 11th, 2020, 10:51 am
    G Wiv wrote:Not Jewish Grandmother approved but tasty.

They look great, Gary. :)

You probably saw this video but in case others haven't, a few months back, Andong went deep on different types of Swedish potato pancakes. While the focus of the video was on Swedish varieties, the methods he covers are actually more universal than that. In any case, I found the video informative and entertaining . . .

The Ultimate Potato Pancakes, Swedish Style

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #65 - October 11th, 2020, 12:44 pm
    Post #65 - October 11th, 2020, 12:44 pm Post #65 - October 11th, 2020, 12:44 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

You probably saw this video but in case others haven't, a few months back, Andong went deep on different types of Swedish potato pancakes. While the focus of the video was on Swedish varieties, the methods he covers are actually more universal than that. In any case, I found the video informative and entertaining . . .

=R=

Do I do Gary’s (my mom’s) method or Ron’s contribution via YouTube?
  • Post #66 - October 11th, 2020, 12:57 pm
    Post #66 - October 11th, 2020, 12:57 pm Post #66 - October 11th, 2020, 12:57 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

Well, there are four methods detailed in that video, at least one of which is very close to what Gary did above.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #67 - October 11th, 2020, 1:11 pm
    Post #67 - October 11th, 2020, 1:11 pm Post #67 - October 11th, 2020, 1:11 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

Well, there are four methods detailed in that video, at least one of which is very close to what Gary did above.

=R=

I’m a bit intrigued with the raw + cooked potatoes method. Might go with that one. Stay tuned for further developments.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more