LTH Home

a really fine crab cake recipe

a really fine crab cake recipe
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • a really fine crab cake recipe

Post #1 - January 2nd, 2006, 9:53 am
    Post #1 - January 2nd, 2006, 9:53 am Post #1 - January 2nd, 2006, 9:53 am
    We were already planning to make crab cakes as an appetizer for our NYE dinner, when I saw Wolfgang Puck's recipe in last Wednesday's Tribune. Since it looked interesting, I thought I’d give it a shot.

These were delicious crab cakes! Everyone raved about them. The cakes were very moist and rich and the red pepper sauce a nice compliment.

Champagne is a great match for these. We had a vintage brut from one of my favorite grower/producers, the 1996 Henri Billiot. Nine years old, but just a baby. I’m going to let my remaining bottles sleep.

Here is a link to the recipe:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/ ... eating-hed

Best,
    Al
  • Post #2 - June 19th, 2006, 2:10 pm
    Post #2 - June 19th, 2006, 2:10 pm Post #2 - June 19th, 2006, 2:10 pm
    I'm a big fan of David Rosengarten's crab cake recipe in his book Taste. He uses a slice of wonder or butternut bread instead of breadcrumbs. The bread "dissolves" in the cakes but keeps them bound together nicely.

I agree on champagne or sparkling wine with them. Especially if they're on the spicy side.
  • Post #3 - May 10th, 2021, 8:16 pm
    Post #3 - May 10th, 2021, 8:16 pm Post #3 - May 10th, 2021, 8:16 pm
    Mother's Day was a roast turkey. Weather was cool enough to do it now or wait until September. There was mashed potatoes and gravy, but no stuffing. Nobody missed the stuffing or made any comment. I made a small Greek salad plus other stuff.

Dessert was crepes stuffed with fresh caramelized pineapple with whipped cream. It was inspired by a Jacque Pepin video caramelizing apples earlier in the day.

Mother’s Day has been extended. Today I made crab cakes from a recipe from SeriousEats, which bound a pound of crab with only one egg and two tablespoons of mayonnaise. The freezer was a key component to make this all work.

I served this with a KFC coleslaw knock-off. I was chiefly attracted to using only two-tablespoons of mayo, because I am about to run out of mayo.

I have another half-pound of crab, I might make into crab cakes (the type loaded with crackers) or something else.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #4 - May 11th, 2021, 12:01 am
    Post #4 - May 11th, 2021, 12:01 am Post #4 - May 11th, 2021, 12:01 am
    Cathy2 wrote:“Today I made crab cakes from a recipe.”

Really hope taste won over iffy breading.

Results??
    Cheers
  • Post #5 - May 11th, 2021, 3:59 am
    Post #5 - May 11th, 2021, 3:59 am Post #5 - May 11th, 2021, 3:59 am
    RockyDennis wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:“Today I made crab cakes from a recipe.”

Really hope taste won over iffy breading.

Results??
    Cheers

I have not done part II yet, though I am certain they will go with all-crab rather than buried in crumbs.

All crab essentially was very good. In the comments, I read of people using Dungeness crab. That must have been spectacular.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #6 - May 12th, 2021, 5:54 pm
    Post #6 - May 12th, 2021, 5:54 pm Post #6 - May 12th, 2021, 5:54 pm
    Part II was Maryland Crab Cakes via SeriousEats.

If I had been willing to give this a little more time, I would have processed by rolling, freezing, slicing and freezing once more. I think that helps keep it all together quite easily.

I did fry one side, then broiled the other side.

Family like it as much as the all-crab. If we had tried these nose-to-nose, we would have been in a better position to rate it. On the plus side, either recipe results are quite good.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more