LTH Home

ALDI food stores

ALDI food stores
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 33 of 37
  • Post #961 - May 22nd, 2021, 10:23 am
    Post #961 - May 22nd, 2021, 10:23 am Post #961 - May 22nd, 2021, 10:23 am
    PSA = masks are no longer required if you are fully vaccinated.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #962 - November 16th, 2021, 9:09 am
    Post #962 - November 16th, 2021, 9:09 am Post #962 - November 16th, 2021, 9:09 am
    PSA = just zipped through the checkout at the Skokie Aldi. Why did I zip? They now have self checkout. Coming to all locations according to the store clerk that I spoke with.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #963 - November 16th, 2021, 11:39 am
    Post #963 - November 16th, 2021, 11:39 am Post #963 - November 16th, 2021, 11:39 am
    Unfortunately the self checkouts at Aldi do not accept cash or prepaid visa gift cards. I asked the cashier at the Skokie store last week and he gave me a weird not making sense answer regarding cash. Something to the extent they were not able to process cash on the machines because of extra steps overall?? For not taking prepaid cards he said it was a different sequence.
  • Post #964 - January 29th, 2022, 12:04 am
    Post #964 - January 29th, 2022, 12:04 am Post #964 - January 29th, 2022, 12:04 am
    What are your top 10 favorite regular items to buy at Aldi?

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #965 - January 29th, 2022, 2:29 am
    Post #965 - January 29th, 2022, 2:29 am Post #965 - January 29th, 2022, 2:29 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:What are your top 10 favorite regular items to buy at Aldi?

=R=

1) Crackers - Triscuit and Wheat Thin crackers.
    2) Fresh orange juice
    3) Canned vegetables and beans (although Winco Foods is cheaper)
    4) Cheeses from Germany.
    5) Christmas cookies from Germany.
    6) Breads - specialty breads are great.
    7) Jams and preserves from, germany
    8) Fresh deli - especially charcuterie, fresh pickles, chicken salad, etc
    9) Condiments.
    10) Pizza

Unfortunately, I live 105 miles from the nearest Aldi store. That limits from buying frozen products, milk, eggs, and the like. I get there 6-8 times a year.
  • Post #966 - January 29th, 2022, 2:58 am
    Post #966 - January 29th, 2022, 2:58 am Post #966 - January 29th, 2022, 2:58 am
    One of the few things I go out of my way to buy at Aldi's is canned pumpkin. It is way cheaper than Jewel or Mariano's and is a little cheaper than Whole Foods. They only start stocking it right before the holidays, and once it is gone, you don't see it again until the holidays roll around again. I have not made my annual pilgrimage to Aldi's to get it yet. Last year they had a limit on how many you could buy, and I think it was two, but then about this time of year, they did away with the limit, and I bought ten cans of it in one trip. Does anybody know if Aldi's still has it, and if there is still a purchase limit? Also does anybody know how much it is. I think last year it was $.99 a can.

I know Aldi's had a limit on lots of cans of stuff because of the pandemic. I am not sure if they still do. I only go in the store maybe four times a year.

The problem with coming up with a top ten list of items to purchase at Aldi's, is a lot of their stuff is a limited time offer. You might buy some cheese that you really like, and the next time you go there, they don't have it anymore.
  • Post #967 - January 29th, 2022, 8:21 am
    Post #967 - January 29th, 2022, 8:21 am Post #967 - January 29th, 2022, 8:21 am
    J L, great list. Though one must not forget the seasonal Aldi item of all seasonal items.
    Aldi's Herring Fillets in Curry Pineapple.

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #968 - January 29th, 2022, 1:33 pm
    Post #968 - January 29th, 2022, 1:33 pm Post #968 - January 29th, 2022, 1:33 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:What are your top 10 favorite regular items to buy at Aldi?

=R=

This is a question I ask anyone I know of that shops at Aldi. My list:

Bagged iceburg Salad
    Bagged Spinach
    Egg white cartons
    Eggs are a good bet to be a no-brainer price if you need them.
    EL Milagro tortillas - they have to have some deal set up with them.
    Whole grain, large pan breads
    Cottage Cheese
    Cream Cheese
    Peanuts
    Mixed nuts and other nuts are worth checking, but Costco usually trumps.
    Olive Oil cooking spray
    Organic Olive Oil
    Pork Rinds!!
    Standard ass white bread Hamburger/Dog Buns for parties
    Brioche Burger buns for fancy burger nite
    Chocolate from other countries might surprise you.
    Standard dairy products will be a fine price compared to any store
    Any standard baking need when you don't wanna hit a bigger store.

Their clearance oddities are a hoot if you're into that type of thing.

Tread lightly, VERY lightly with trying their take-n-bake pizzas if they sound like it might be an odd enough combo to try. They'll tempt you with some red "dollars off" stickers, and you'll think they couldn't possibly not be worth trying for 2 dollars. You've been warned, Ron.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #969 - January 29th, 2022, 3:59 pm
    Post #969 - January 29th, 2022, 3:59 pm Post #969 - January 29th, 2022, 3:59 pm
    G Wiv wrote:J L, great list. Though one must not forget the seasonal Aldi item of all seasonal items.

I have not seen those herring fillets but those look good. What season are they available?

only get up to Phoenix 6-8 times a year and when I do, I can probably get to 3-4 of the six places that I like to stop at.
  • Post #970 - January 29th, 2022, 7:43 pm
    Post #970 - January 29th, 2022, 7:43 pm Post #970 - January 29th, 2022, 7:43 pm
    G Wiv wrote:J L, great list. Though one must not forget the seasonal Aldi item of all seasonal items.

My Mom loves herring in pineapple and will eat these for breakfast. These pop up at Aldi during the German week in October and over Lent in the Spring.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #971 - January 30th, 2022, 7:37 pm
    Post #971 - January 30th, 2022, 7:37 pm Post #971 - January 30th, 2022, 7:37 pm
    Last year in September, Aldi was offering a Chicago style pizza that looked really good. However, as I saw it on my last day in Cincinnati, I was unable to buy it.
  • Post #972 - January 30th, 2022, 11:20 pm
    Post #972 - January 30th, 2022, 11:20 pm Post #972 - January 30th, 2022, 11:20 pm
    It was in the freezer case again a couple of weeks ago. Might be some left at some stores.

Buddy
  • Post #973 - February 1st, 2022, 8:20 am
    Post #973 - February 1st, 2022, 8:20 am Post #973 - February 1st, 2022, 8:20 am
    jlawrence01 wrote:Last year in September, Aldi was offering a Chicago style pizza that looked really good. However, as I saw it on my last day in Cincinnati, I was unable to buy it.

Consider yourself lucky. It was terrible.
  • Post #974 - February 5th, 2022, 5:09 pm
    Post #974 - February 5th, 2022, 5:09 pm Post #974 - February 5th, 2022, 5:09 pm
    I was in the Evanston Aldi's store on 2/3, and I got five cans of their canned pumpkin for $.95 a can. They also had Libby's canned pumpkin for $2.08. I also got a bag of frozen shrimp and crab ravioli, which was a special purchase for $4.49. Has anybody tried this yet? They had lots of canned pumpkin, and there was no limit. I also got some cutie tangerines for $2.79 a three pound bag.
  • Post #975 - February 23rd, 2022, 2:38 pm
    Post #975 - February 23rd, 2022, 2:38 pm Post #975 - February 23rd, 2022, 2:38 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote: What are your top 10 favorite regular items to buy at Aldi?
    An intriguing query. Let us look at the receipts from the last four times I shopped at an Aldi. :) (Click on the thumbnail to view the full-sized image in a separate tab.) Image
    Three of the four trips were done with the 1987 Chevrolet Sprint. Guess which one was accomplished via transit? 8)

An alert viewer will detect the shock of the (breakfast) Croissant Sandwiches' price going from $3.29 to $3.69 in one month. :o (Not bought since; but the price of the Chocolate Meal replacement beverage has gone from $4.99 to $5.89; and for the 16-oz. pack of bologna from $1.39 to $1.79.)

But lucidly, what I buy at Aldi seems to be

1. lunchbox pies (mostly cherry, but including apple)
    2. breakfast croissants (and tasting breakfast biscuits)
    3. various chocolate bars, domestic and imported
    4. hot dog buns
    5. white bread
    6. bagels (mostly plain, but including cinnamon raisin)
    7. neufchâtel cheese
    8. various beers (the State of Brewing Winter Lager is [| was? :(] very tasty. I will buy it again if it reappears, although I doubt it will now)
    9. bologna (when and if the price drops)
    I will not tell you which trip was on transit yet. Guess. :wink:
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #976 - February 23rd, 2022, 4:21 pm
    Post #976 - February 23rd, 2022, 4:21 pm Post #976 - February 23rd, 2022, 4:21 pm
    pudgym29 wrote:
    I will not tell you which trip was on transit yet. Guess. :wink:

11/8/21?

=R=
  • Post #977 - February 27th, 2022, 12:34 pm
    Post #977 - February 27th, 2022, 12:34 pm Post #977 - February 27th, 2022, 12:34 pm
    So . . . maiden voyage to Aldi. Didn't buy much but I thought it was really interesting. Wasn't prepared for the required $0.25 deposit to get the use of a cart (thought covid had done away with this) but luckily, Mrs. Suburban is one of the 6 people on the planet who still keeps some change on her. But in all seriousness, I appreciate how this practice helps keep labor costs down (and the parking lot less annoying).

Entering the store, it felt a bit like being in an alternate universe. It was wild seeing so many products with packaging that so closely resembled (aka intentionally mimicked) the leading brands of the same products which, for the most part, are not available at Aldi (though, we did find a 30-ounce jar of actual Hellman's mayonnaise for ~$3.75, so we threw one in the cart).

From what I've read, my guess is that these private label items are hit or miss. We bought the store brand versions of a few items we regularly buy and it'll be interesting to see how they compare. I didn't hesitate to buy cans of diced tomatoes and tomato paste but items like chocolate chips and ketchup seemed like a more dubious proposition. And I'm curious how the 2 different 8-packs of Belle Vie -- the house brand of flavored bubble waters -- will compare to the main brand analogs we normally buy elsewhere. Price-wise, they were no cheaper. And I didn't check the price but some flavors of LaCroix were also available.

Dry roasted peanuts were also interesting. The $1.99 price was a full buck lower than the ones I usually buy at WF but the ingredient list was a mile long and included two types of sweetener. The WF version contains nothing but peanuts and salt.

Meats were a mixed bag. We plunked down for a couple of types of sausage and deli meat, which I'm curious to try. At a glance, the selection of deli meats and cheeses seemed strong -- almost daunting -- but it's probably a matter of trial and error to suss out the ones the are worth buying.

Fresh meat looked interesting -- a decent selection, nicely packaged and reasonably priced -- but I'd already shopped for those items elsewhere. I wouldn't hesitate to try the beef or the chicken, both of which I'm guessing are comparable in quality to what I buy at Fresh Farms. Unfortunately, much of the pork we looked at was injected with a 10% bitch's brew of salt and other fillers.

I wasn't enticed by the produce, much of which is pre-portioned and packaged up under plastic, making it difficult examine or be selective with. After hearing and reading so much about Aldi's chocolate offerings, I found them disappointing. The offerings mainly were limited and end of aisle display and a 49% dark chocolate bar I tried -- not in the store, I actually bought it :lol: -- had a funky, unpleasant aroma, and was peculiarly soft.

On the whole, Aldi seems like it might be at its best for shoppers who hit the inner aisles. Cereal, crackers, soups, condiments, canned goods, etc. seem like the strong points. We don't buy frozen foods but that's another area where, I'm guessing, favorites can be found. Those cases were substantially stocked with a wide variety of items and a LOT of frozen pizzas.

If I lived near an Aldi, it would certainly be in my regular rotation. And if I were out and about and an Aldi happened to be on my route, I'd stop in if I needed something. But given how far the nearest Aldi is from my house, nothing about it struck me as destination-worthy. Still, really glad to know it's there and what it's all about. I know I'll be back.

=R=
  • Post #978 - February 27th, 2022, 6:17 pm
    Post #978 - February 27th, 2022, 6:17 pm Post #978 - February 27th, 2022, 6:17 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Still, really glad to know it's there and what it's all about. I know I'll be back.

There is an Aldi right on my Fresh Farms, Costco route. Right across from Costco gas, I go on occasion. I really want to like, find benefit, aside from curry pineapple herring, from Aldi, just has not happened yet.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #979 - February 27th, 2022, 10:12 pm
    Post #979 - February 27th, 2022, 10:12 pm Post #979 - February 27th, 2022, 10:12 pm
    I think a lot of people shop there because they have everyday low prices, and they are not tempted by impulse purchases at Jewel. When I go to the store every 3-4 months, they are frequently out of canned garbanzo beans which are a good deal. I see people there buying stuff that is not a deal strictly because the store is easy to go in and spend 30 minutes and buy your groceries for the week, whereas Jewel is hard to get in and out of in thirty minutes. Sometimes they have good deals on produce that I am interested in. When I was there a month ago, I got a bag of oranges that were a good deal.

Both times I have been there recently though, I have seen carts that did not get back to where they were supposed to go. When I was there on Thursday, I happened to spot a wayward cart, and since I did not have a quarter on me, I was glad to take it. When I was leaving the store though, I was going to put it back and get a quarter, but there was a customer who was parked in front of the cart corral who was loading her car, and I could not get past her to put my cart away. I finally decided to leave it in the front of the store, and it was gone by the time I pulled out of the parking lot.
  • Post #980 - February 28th, 2022, 1:50 am
    Post #980 - February 28th, 2022, 1:50 am Post #980 - February 28th, 2022, 1:50 am
    I started shopping at ALDI in 2006. The DW called me and asked me to pick up a box of saltines. I ran into Jewel in Crystal Lake and they were charging $2.89 for Nabisco Premium and $2.49 for the store brand. Since I never bought saltines, that just seemed really high to me.

Since I would have to drive past ALDI, I decided to stop there. The price was $0.85 for the same size box.
  • Post #981 - February 28th, 2022, 9:01 am
    Post #981 - February 28th, 2022, 9:01 am Post #981 - February 28th, 2022, 9:01 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:So . . . maiden voyage to Aldi. Didn't buy much but I thought it was really interesting. Wasn't prepared for the required $0.25 deposit to get the use of a cart (thought covid had done away with this) but luckily, Mrs. Suburban is one of the 6 people on the planet who still keeps some change on her. But in all seriousness, I appreciate how this practice helps keep labor costs down (and the parking lot less annoying).

...Dry roasted peanuts were also interesting. The $1.99 price was a full buck lower than the ones I usually buy at WF but the ingredient list was a mile long and included two types of sweetener. The WF version contains nothing but peanuts and salt.

On the whole, Aldi seems like it might be at its best for shoppers who hit the inner aisles. Cereal, crackers, soups, condiments, canned goods, etc. seem like the strong points. We don't buy frozen foods but that's another area where, I'm guessing, favorites can be found. Those cases were substantially stocked with a wide variety of items and a LOT of frozen pizzas.
    =R=

So, the peanut thing - that caught me off guard.
    Peanuts are one of my stalwart buys at Aldi. I get the ones in plastic bottles. I generally mix unsalted with salted, and I'm at like a 3 to 1 ratio of unsalted to salted. For every three unsalted, I go thru one salted. You made me look at the ingredients and the Dry Roasted& Salted ones have the long list, but the unsalted ones only have one ingredient. The total carb count difference is a whopping 1. Still interesting tho. I never even thought to look.

As for things to buy for the fam -
    If you find the products that make sense to you for their quality vs price, you might lock into timed visits. I don't stray too much from the products I know as a good value for us, and it helps that I have two Aldi stores that are fast and easy to get to - especially for a mid day break while working from home when there's sure to be very few ppl in the store.

I'd say I'm at like a 50/50 split of "never again" / "that'll do" when trying new products, so I tread very lightly when straying from my known, core purchases, which tend to be very basic items that I know are well priced, that have very little room for alterations, like eggs, fresh spinach, peanuts, olive oil - you get my drift.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #982 - February 28th, 2022, 11:31 pm
    Post #982 - February 28th, 2022, 11:31 pm Post #982 - February 28th, 2022, 11:31 pm
    seebee wrote:I'd say I'm at like a 50/50 split of "never again" / "that'll do" when trying new products, so I tread very lightly when straying from my known, core purchases, which tend to be very basic items that I know are well priced, that have very little room for alterations, like eggs, fresh spinach, peanuts, olive oil - you get my drift.

Indeed, I do and I already know we'll be back to pick up repeats of a few items we tried on Visit 1 . . . and that will open the door to convenient, further trials of other items.

The Mrs. bought some cookies that she really likes and I tried a couple of different kinds of fresh breakfast sausage -- one chicken -- that were both worthy of buying again. I also bought a spray bottle of avocado oil. It worked fine for some recent baking I did but the nozzle was suspect and sprayed oil in a wonky-wide mist all over my kitchen. That one, we won't be repeating. :wink:

=R=
  • Post #983 - March 2nd, 2022, 2:45 pm
    Post #983 - March 2nd, 2022, 2:45 pm Post #983 - March 2nd, 2022, 2:45 pm
    (Answer) The trip to 4630 W. Cermak Rd. in Cicero on 27 December 2021 was the trip on transit. I was taking out an italian beef sandwich from Scatchell's across the street (utilizing the route #54 Cicero bus) and stopped in to check.
    Amazingly, there is an Aldi across the street from the Belmont | Kimball Blue Line "L" station which I have never shopped. :P
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #984 - March 2nd, 2022, 3:50 pm
    Post #984 - March 2nd, 2022, 3:50 pm Post #984 - March 2nd, 2022, 3:50 pm
    pudgym29 wrote: (Answer) The trip to 4630 W. Cermak Rd. in Cicero on 27 December 2021 was the trip on transit. I was taking out an italian beef sandwich from Scatchell's across the street (utilizing the route #54 Cicero bus) and stopped in to check.
    Amazingly, there is an Aldi across the street from the Belmont | Kimball Blue Line "L" station which I have never shopped. :P

Ha - just drove by it yesterday and kind of noticed it for the first time . . . but not really. But now that Aldi's on my radar, I'm finally noticing all the stores I've driven past for all these years.

=R=
  • Post #985 - March 3rd, 2022, 12:31 am
    Post #985 - March 3rd, 2022, 12:31 am Post #985 - March 3rd, 2022, 12:31 am
    One of the problems with Aldi's is that a lot of their stuff is special purchases, such as probably the cookies Ronnie's wife likes, and so there is a good chance that the cookies will not be there the next time you go there.
  • Post #986 - March 3rd, 2022, 12:59 am
    Post #986 - March 3rd, 2022, 12:59 am Post #986 - March 3rd, 2022, 12:59 am
    NFriday wrote:One of the problems with Aldi's is that a lot of their stuff is special purchases, such as probably the cookies Ronnie's wife likes, and so there is a good chance that the cookies will not be there the next time you go there.

Yeah, I got that sense; that there were a fair amount of limited-run items, whether they be special purchases, one-offs, close-outs or trial runs.

=R=
  • Post #987 - March 3rd, 2022, 5:45 am
    Post #987 - March 3rd, 2022, 5:45 am Post #987 - March 3rd, 2022, 5:45 am
    HI,

I went to Aldi a few days ago, my favorite seasonal gherkins were there. I had not seen them in two years. It was like winning a brass ring. When I finish it, I will put some olives in the pickling liquid or use it as a base for some salad dressing.

The day after Thanksgiving, they drastically drop the price on cranberries to as little as 10 cents a bag. They do not waste time keeping stuff at full price, when they need that space for something else.

One of my friends once complained to a very regional grocery store about their price for Hellman's using Aldi as an example. Oh I am sure the manager related this conversation to his friends. He explained their store has nowhere near the volume to approach the manufacturer's discounts Aldi can pull.

I never sensed there are close-outs at Aldi. Special deals that may or may not return, definitely, and it is better to be there on Wednesday to reliably find them. I know they have offered hammocks and battery heated house slippers. Quirky stuff and if it does not sell, it is quickly discounted.

I do follow on facebook a few Aldi groups. There are people who will not shop anywhere else than Aldi. They have a party, then take pictures of the spread all acquired at Aldi. I have no slavish devotion to any one store, and have a good sense of price from my roaming, it is still interesting to follow along.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #988 - March 3rd, 2022, 8:26 am
    Post #988 - March 3rd, 2022, 8:26 am Post #988 - March 3rd, 2022, 8:26 am
    NFriday wrote:One of the problems with Aldi's is that a lot of their stuff is special purchases, such as probably the cookies Ronnie's wife likes, and so there is a good chance that the cookies will not be there the next time you go there.

I'm a FAN of their Ferris Wheel style of product offerings. I like the hunt. Costco is pretty similar, in my experience. I've settled into a baseline of 10 or so offerings that Aldi always stocks, but I always check the entire store for their oddities. Rarely buy any of them, but you never know.

Dill pickle flavored pork rinds that are down to 59 cents for a 4 ounce bag?
    Count me a fan!

I had to REALLY, and I mean REALLY put on the brakes for the Xmas clearance items a few months ago. My store had STACKS of giant cookie making kits for pennies. I bought exactly ZERO of them. If you knew me, you'd know how much that hurt my soul to pass on them.

Yesterday, my store had "Lucky Charms Cookie Dough" in the refrigerated section. After checking my pulse a few times, I thought about buying a pkg for my wife, who absolutely LOVES Lucky Charms (a cereal I have never understood - it's like sweetened Cheerios with stale marshmallows that literally squeak when you bite them) but, I snickered and walked away.

The more I go to Aldi, the more I appreciate the staples I like. It'll never replace the other stores I go to, but, it really fills a niche for me with a few staples that are almost always much cheaper and of great quality. Not everything is wine and roses, tho. Some of their shit just tastes weird.
  • Post #989 - March 3rd, 2022, 10:25 am
    Post #989 - March 3rd, 2022, 10:25 am Post #989 - March 3rd, 2022, 10:25 am
    Their light ranch dressing is the best bottled ranch I've had.
  • Post #990 - March 5th, 2022, 11:17 am
    Post #990 - March 5th, 2022, 11:17 am Post #990 - March 5th, 2022, 11:17 am
    I'm heading out in a bit since I heard the Seafood Linguine is back, great stuff:

https://old.reddit.com/r/aldi/comments/ ... _linguine/

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more