LTH Home

Turano french bread...not so bad

Turano french bread...not so bad
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Turano french bread...not so bad

Post #1 - January 30th, 2006, 6:23 pm
    Post #1 - January 30th, 2006, 6:23 pm Post #1 - January 30th, 2006, 6:23 pm
    Looking for some decent French bread without a special trip to Fox & Obel?

I was too busy manning the "baby boiler"—a gumbo pot you could easily fit a chunky toddler and a few pounds of potatoes in—last Sunday to hit the store for a fresh length of bread to go with the aforementioned gumbo, so I sent the Man to Dominick's with instructions to get the best thing he could find. I figured he'd hit the bakery and bring back one of those stale-ish sticks from the bakery department, but he walked through the door bearing Turano bread in a plastic bag. He found it in the regular bread aisle, practically hidden and alone on the bottom shelf. Two lenghthy "bats" for around $2.

And it was good.

Out of the oven, it has a crispy-flaky crust and an absorbant, airy, not too bready interior. Perfect for soaking up gumbos and building a po-boy on. I made soft-shell crab po-boys last night, and the same loaf from last Sunday, though slightly stale, crisped up perfectly again in the oven.
  • Post #2 - December 12th, 2021, 11:59 am
    Post #2 - December 12th, 2021, 11:59 am Post #2 - December 12th, 2021, 11:59 am
    Renato G. (Ron) Turano, a longtime leader of Turano Baking Co., a past chairman of the American Bakers Association and a former Senatore to the Italian Republic, died Dec. 5 after an extended battle with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). He was 79 years old

https://www.foodbusinessnews.net/articl ... dies-at-79
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more