LTH Home

Chili oil (Gary, et. al.)

Chili oil (Gary, et. al.)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - January 17th, 2022, 5:48 pm
    Post #91 - January 17th, 2022, 5:48 pm Post #91 - January 17th, 2022, 5:48 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Was watching the ever delightful Mark Wiens consume vast quantities of terrific looking Sichuan food in LA with a woman named Jing who owns a chili oil company, Fly by Jing.

I'm particular about chili oil, my homemade is my preference, or when a talented cook friend like Ronnie makes the recipe, and a few over the counter such as Sun Wah's for purchase chili or Lao Gan Ma chili crisp. That said bought a jar of Fly by Jing and was quite pleased. Balanced, good heat, with a more cheffy overall effect than Lao Gan Ma.

Would I buy Fly by Jing again, maybe, though its 3X the cost of Lao Gan Ma and I've never seen it retail, only internet. Happy to report this impulse buy turned out pretty well.

click to enlarge

Chili Oil, count me Fan!

I’ve seen the Chili Crisp, Zhong sauce and the Mala Spice (my fave of the 3) at Andale’ Market on Clark in A’ville.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #92 - March 4th, 2022, 8:01 pm
    Post #92 - March 4th, 2022, 8:01 pm Post #92 - March 4th, 2022, 8:01 pm
    We're long on leftovers, so no major cooking today but reserves were running low, so I used what would have been meal prep time to mix up another batch of Gary's chile oil . . .

Mise En Place & Takeda Stainless Clad Cleaver, Small
    Peanut oil, sesame oil, fermented black beans, minced garlic, smashed Sichuan peppercorns, smashed garlic cloves, minced ginger, gochugara & red chile flakes.

On the knife side, with a mess of ginger and dozens of cloves of garlic to smash and mince, the Takeda cleaver was the perfect tool. Mass smashing, easy mincing and swift removal from the board.

When I ran out of red chile flakes in the midst of making this last time, I filled in with gochugaru and really liked the results. So, this time it's in there by design. 7.5 cups of the peanut oil, a scant 1 cup of the sesame oil and the rest of all this goes into a cold dutch oven and heats slowly over low heat. Stir frequently and once it starts to bubble, keep stirring until the smashed garlic pieces are soft and translucent from oil absorption. I don't really know how long that is in minutes. You can just kind of tell when it's there. Once it's there, I generally just turn off the flame and let it cool down in the dutch oven. After that, jar it up . . .

Jarred Up
    The large jar will be for home use. One of the jelly jars will be for my desk at the office. The others, I'll be distributing to friends, etc.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #93 - March 5th, 2022, 2:07 pm
    Post #93 - March 5th, 2022, 2:07 pm Post #93 - March 5th, 2022, 2:07 pm
    One more shot, this time by light of day . . .

G Wiv Recipe Chile Oil - 22.0304

=R=
  • Post #94 - June 25th, 2022, 1:09 pm
    Post #94 - June 25th, 2022, 1:09 pm Post #94 - June 25th, 2022, 1:09 pm
    Made a batch today, using Mala Market's crushed red chile, mixed with Xiao Mi La chiles I pulsed in the food processor, and half roasted rapeseed oil. I'll let you know how it comes out when it's cooled a bit.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #95 - June 25th, 2022, 3:45 pm
    Post #95 - June 25th, 2022, 3:45 pm Post #95 - June 25th, 2022, 3:45 pm
    I made a big batch, and burnt something. It smells like burnt chili oil. I'm thinking of tossing it and making a small batch. Drat it all. Getting used to this gas stove, and the high output burners that really don't go very low is quite the learning experience. I managed to keep it below 225, but I think, despite lots of stirring, the flakes or gochugaru burnt.

Luckily our trash is incinerated here, so it should burn well.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #96 - July 13th, 2022, 3:21 pm
    Post #96 - July 13th, 2022, 3:21 pm Post #96 - July 13th, 2022, 3:21 pm
    Sorry yours went awry Mr. X. My chile oil improved greatly when I stopped thinking in terms of time/temperature and just kept a close eye on things, stirring frequently and tasting often along the way. And yes, the lower the heat, the better though, that's not always easy to do.

WFH today provided a perfect lunch-hour opportunity to refresh my chile oil inventory . . .

Mise En Place & Yu Kurosaki VG10 Fujin Gyuto, 210mm
    Veg oil, Sichuan peppercorns, minced ginger, toasted sesame oil, smashed garlic cloves, minced garlic, coarsely chopped fermented black beans and dried chiles (50/50 combo of red chile flakes and gochugaru).

This is a pretty faithful riff on Gary's recipe but a few batches back I ran short on red pepper flakes and had to sub in some gochugaru to complete the recipe. I ended up liking that variation a lot and have made it my SOP. I started by dry-toasting the Sichuan peppercorns in the dutch oven, then I added everything else. Stirred it well and let it bubble very gently over the lowest flame of my smallest burner, continuing to stir every couple of minutes. After it had all melded and the garlic had slightly browned, I turned off the heat and let it steep/cool for another hour. After that, jarred it up . . .

G-Wiv-inspired Chile Oil
    One for home, one for the office and a few to give away.

=R=
  • Post #97 - July 15th, 2022, 6:53 am
    Post #97 - July 15th, 2022, 6:53 am Post #97 - July 15th, 2022, 6:53 am
    half roasted rapeseed oil.

This was Caiziyou? Curious to hear how it turned out.
    "I live on good soup, not on fine words." -Moliere
  • Post #98 - July 15th, 2022, 12:26 pm
    Post #98 - July 15th, 2022, 12:26 pm Post #98 - July 15th, 2022, 12:26 pm
    bw77 wrote:
    half roasted rapeseed oil.

This was Caiziyou? Curious to hear how it turned out.

Yeah, from Ma La Marketplace. Can't say it made a big difference, maybe a little more viscous. With all the sesame, is hard to detect any roastiness.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #99 - July 18th, 2022, 1:37 pm
    Post #99 - July 18th, 2022, 1:37 pm Post #99 - July 18th, 2022, 1:37 pm
    Have you found the Caiziyou to make a significant difference in other dishes?
  • Post #100 - July 18th, 2022, 1:43 pm
    Post #100 - July 18th, 2022, 1:43 pm Post #100 - July 18th, 2022, 1:43 pm
    Fly by Jing, mentioned upthread, states that it uses Caiziyou.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more