LTH Home

Hummus, A Love Story: Recipe and Pictures

Hummus, A Love Story: Recipe and Pictures
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 4
  • Post #61 - September 3rd, 2019, 3:09 am
    Post #61 - September 3rd, 2019, 3:09 am Post #61 - September 3rd, 2019, 3:09 am
    Brought beet hummus to neighborhood Labor Day BBQ. I thought it was tasty, and not the first time I've made, but remained virtually untouched. Super nice people but not food centric and somewhat health obsessed, marathon, hiking biking, etc. The bride thought it was the amount of olive oil or maybe the pink color. All the veg were eaten. :)

As an aside, I've been watching Mark Wiens latest Lebanon series where olive oil seems a food group all it own
    BeetHummusP66.jpg Beet Hummus

Beet Hummus, count me a fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #62 - September 3rd, 2019, 10:13 pm
    Post #62 - September 3rd, 2019, 10:13 pm Post #62 - September 3rd, 2019, 10:13 pm
    Hi,

If you wish, bring it to the LTH picnic. It will go well with Giovanna's mushroom dip, which her friends won't eat.

I am sure our food-centric friends would eat it.

I hope it did not go to waste.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #63 - September 8th, 2019, 7:16 am
    Post #63 - September 8th, 2019, 7:16 am Post #63 - September 8th, 2019, 7:16 am
    Received a LTH private message, my beet hummus looked "delish" and could they buy some. I did not have any on hand, we were going out to dinner and I didn't want to sell hummus either way. I long ago stopped having people over to my house for classes but found myself saying come over I'll teach you, its easy.

Maybe its because hummus takes a couple of hours with making, eating and chatting, as opposed to BBQ which takes all day, or that aribucs is a friendly interesting fellow. It was nice to meet you Ari, I surprised myself by having a good time, hope you took home more than just a container of beet hummus.

BeetHummusP55.jpg Beet Hummus w/aribucs

And no, not setting a precedent please don't ask.

"Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you've fed him for a lifetime."
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #64 - September 15th, 2019, 10:25 am
    Post #64 - September 15th, 2019, 10:25 am Post #64 - September 15th, 2019, 10:25 am
    Hummus = breakfast. #lowslsowbbq #countmeafan #homecooking #hummus

HummusBreakfastP1.jpg Hummus

HummusBreakfastP2.jpg Hummus

Hummus, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #65 - September 16th, 2019, 5:06 pm
    Post #65 - September 16th, 2019, 5:06 pm Post #65 - September 16th, 2019, 5:06 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Brought beet hummus to neighborhood Labor Day BBQ. I thought it was tasty, and not the first time I've made, but remained virtually untouched.

Was there a sign saying what it was? I wouldn't know, just looking at it.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #66 - September 16th, 2019, 5:10 pm
    Post #66 - September 16th, 2019, 5:10 pm Post #66 - September 16th, 2019, 5:10 pm
    amyliz wrote:On a side note, it also had a recipe for red pepper-chipotle hummus that was sweet 'n spicy. Yum.

I make hummus, and add a big raw carrot (chunked) into the food processor, to puree up with the chickpeas, and at least 2 Tablespoons, if not more, of Sriracha. It's great!
    Leek

American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #67 - September 16th, 2019, 5:59 pm
    Post #67 - September 16th, 2019, 5:59 pm Post #67 - September 16th, 2019, 5:59 pm
    I don't think I ever posted this story on LTH; a mentor of mine Gadi Gofbarg at OU(the first accredited fine art photography program in the US), he developed(pun-intended) a graduate course in fine art video, of which I was an initial student. Gadi was interesting, he was an outlier of the punk band CRASS(hi, Little Annie!), he gave me some of my harshest critiques ever, his own work was agitprop; large format photographs of language and b/w images. He was "sabra" tough on the outside, tender inside, soldiers. He was raised Israeli, but sympathized with Palestinians. He was, actually, an Israeli soldier. His parents moved the family to South America. I lost track of him when he and another photo prof of mine, Eva Enderlein, supposedly moved to her homeland of Sweden, because why not?, to be farmers; punks, image-makers, landscape, terroir. Point is(I know long getting here is), point being is one class day in video making, Gadi taught us how to make hummus. That was the class; ridiculous and lovely all at once. The best hummus I have ever had; the balance of lemon chickpeas and tahini(ugh...too much tahini kills it for me). Another session when we weren't rigorously evaluating, Oursler, Gadi brought down a blanket he kept warm with. He, as a cadet, found coins embedded(!) in the blanket; coins hidden by Jews. They were way down deep in the fabric. Hummus is lifemaking.
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie
  • Post #68 - September 17th, 2019, 12:58 am
    Post #68 - September 17th, 2019, 12:58 am Post #68 - September 17th, 2019, 12:58 am
    leek wrote:Was there a sign saying what it was? I wouldn't know, just looking at it.
    No, but there weren't that many people there that a sign was necessary. They knew what it was, ate the accompaniments, just not the pink hued hummus. On another note, when I make beet hued gravlax it tends to go fast, not sure color is the issue.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #69 - September 26th, 2019, 6:16 pm
    Post #69 - September 26th, 2019, 6:16 pm Post #69 - September 26th, 2019, 6:16 pm
    Just finished a veggie combo plate from:

Shawarma Stop
    947 W. Wellington
    Chicago, IL 60657
    773-327-0000
    http://www.goshawarmastop.com

Guess what? Beet Hummus is one of two hummuses served. Looks like Pepto Bismol. Tastes yummy.

Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #70 - September 27th, 2019, 1:44 am
    Post #70 - September 27th, 2019, 1:44 am Post #70 - September 27th, 2019, 1:44 am
    Dave148 wrote:Beet Hummus, count me a fan!
    Yes, absolutely! In fact I made another batch tonight. The Bride is hummused out for the moment, not me, but she loves beets* and those accompanied our broiled whitefish.

HummusBeet47.jpg Beet hummus dusted with zaatar

*I mentioned to My-Hien a few weeks ago beets with butter, Maldon and parsley were a go-to, she suggested adding a splash of sherry vinegar, and a delectable suggestion it was.

Beets, hummus and dinner in general, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #71 - September 27th, 2019, 9:37 am
    Post #71 - September 27th, 2019, 9:37 am Post #71 - September 27th, 2019, 9:37 am
    G Wiv wrote:*I mentioned to My-Hien a few weeks ago beets with butter, Maldon and parsley were a go-to, she suggested adding a splash of sherry vinegar, and a delectable suggestion it was.

Beets, hummus and dinner in general, count me a Fan!

Never met a beet I didn't love, but my favorite prep is like yours, warm with butter, sea salt (Maldon is great), and fresh ground pepper. Will have to try the splash of sherry vinegar.

IMO, beets are such an underappreciated vegetable. With their natural sweetness, don't understand how they don't get more love.
  • Post #72 - September 27th, 2019, 10:06 am
    Post #72 - September 27th, 2019, 10:06 am Post #72 - September 27th, 2019, 10:06 am
    They are great. We have been eating them plenty lately due to the farmers markets being flooded with them. I have been cutting the red and gold ones into 1.5 inch chunks, then putting them into a foil pouch. I add EVOO, balsamic vinegar, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, then I lay fresh thyme, rosemary, and sage on the top. Close foil and bake (325) or grill for about an hour. Good stuff.
  • Post #73 - September 30th, 2019, 3:42 pm
    Post #73 - September 30th, 2019, 3:42 pm Post #73 - September 30th, 2019, 3:42 pm
    G Wiv wrote:beet hummus...

Forgot to ask - do you add roasted or raw beets, and approximately how much per standard batch of hummus?
    Leek

• Post #74 - September 30th, 2019, 4:25 pm
    Post #74 - September 30th, 2019, 4:25 pm Post #74 - September 30th, 2019, 4:25 pm
    leek wrote:Forgot to ask - do you add roasted or raw beets, and approximately how much per standard batch of hummus?

Not raw.

I typically simmer peeled quartered fist size beets in lightly salted water until tender then add approximately 1 to 1-1/2 beets to blender* or Cuisinart, I use either interchangeably. This is for two 15oz cans, one 29oz can or three cups cooked (1/2lb dry weight) of garbanzo beans. I typically add garbanzo beans in two stages of blending with beet in the middle.

If you'd rather roast in oven or outdoor cooker, fine by me, I've done both. When you get the color you like spoon a little on a plate and check. Its easy to add additional and I don't find the beets actually add much flavor, aside from a very slight almost imperceptible earthy sweetness, to the hummus.

*Vitamix Vita-Prep
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #75 - February 22nd, 2020, 8:46 pm
    Post #75 - February 22nd, 2020, 8:46 pm Post #75 - February 22nd, 2020, 8:46 pm
    H1.jpg Hummus, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #76 - February 28th, 2020, 4:53 pm
    Post #76 - February 28th, 2020, 4:53 pm Post #76 - February 28th, 2020, 4:53 pm
    H1.jpg Hummus = lunch. #homecooking
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #77 - May 17th, 2020, 12:06 pm
    Post #77 - May 17th, 2020, 12:06 pm Post #77 - May 17th, 2020, 12:06 pm
    I will never tire of hummus.

Hummus7.jpg Hummus #homecooking

Hummus2.jpg Egg

Hummus, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #78 - September 20th, 2020, 10:49 am
    Post #78 - September 20th, 2020, 10:49 am Post #78 - September 20th, 2020, 10:49 am
    Beet hummus = breakfast.

Click to enlarge

Hummus, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #79 - November 1st, 2020, 12:48 pm
    Post #79 - November 1st, 2020, 12:48 pm Post #79 - November 1st, 2020, 12:48 pm
    Making hummus, veg and lemon juice wiring away. Garbanzo beans at the ready. Glopped in tahini noticed light mold around the tahini jar. Tossed the mix. No back up tahini. Looked at the garbanzo beans and thought. Peanut butter popped into my head. Bob’s yer uncle. Peanut butter hummus. Damn tasty.

Click to enlarge

Hummus, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #80 - November 7th, 2020, 8:47 am
    Post #80 - November 7th, 2020, 8:47 am Post #80 - November 7th, 2020, 8:47 am
    Hi,

I have a friend who grew up in Israel. He does not use tahini, he uses mayonnaise.

I've tasted his hummus and it works.

Yes, I was surprised, too, when I heard of this.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #81 - November 8th, 2020, 1:32 pm
    Post #81 - November 8th, 2020, 1:32 pm Post #81 - November 8th, 2020, 1:32 pm
    Sometimes you just have to touch the stove . . .

Click to enlarge

Hummus, count me a Fan! (Not the canned hummus, I have not tried it yet but don't have high hopes)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #82 - November 8th, 2020, 5:36 pm
    Post #82 - November 8th, 2020, 5:36 pm Post #82 - November 8th, 2020, 5:36 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Sometimes you just have to touch the stove . . .

Click to enlarge

Hummus, count me a Fan! (Not the canned hummus, I have not tried it yet but don't have high hopes)

Living in Saudi Arabia, the Ziyad brand was very popular, and a lot of hummus recipes that floated around began with, "Take one can of hummus and one can of chick peas..." So if you don't like it straight from the can (I can't say I've ever tried it), you can always throw it into the next batch you make.
  • Post #83 - November 9th, 2020, 1:18 pm
    Post #83 - November 9th, 2020, 1:18 pm Post #83 - November 9th, 2020, 1:18 pm
    I've been enjoying a fantastic product someone picked up at Costco for me: Colavita lemon olive oil. It's got a great lemon flavor and fragrance and is especially handy when I don't have fresh lemons on hand. I haven't seen it for sale at Costco or anywhere else since, so I will be sad when it's gone, although I suppose that will be time to put some lemon zest in olive oil and experiment with making my own. I've used this lemon olive oil primarily with fish, chicken, and lamb so far, but it occurs to me it would probably work great in both hummus mix and the pita chip prep.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #84 - November 10th, 2020, 10:51 am
    Post #84 - November 10th, 2020, 10:51 am Post #84 - November 10th, 2020, 10:51 am

I'm not a big fan of Ziyad canned hummus. Instead of lemon it contains citric acid at a level I find unpleasant, and there's no garlic. The texture is heavy and dry, almost crumbly (maybe some peanut butter or mayonnaise would help?!). I'll be curious to hear your opinion.

G Wiv wrote:I will never tire of hummus.

You just might tire of Ziyad canned hummus.

In another thread JoelF wrote:I seem to remember it was OK with significant doctoring with lemon, garlic, cumin, paprika, good olive oil...

chgoeditor wrote:Living in Saudi Arabia, the Ziyad brand was very popular, and a lot of hummus recipes that floated around began with, "Take one can of hummus and one can of chick peas..." So if you don't like it straight from the can (I can't say I've ever tried it), you can always throw it into the next batch you make.

Interesting comments. It hardly occurred to me that Ziyad canned hummus (imported from Jordan) might be a starting point, not the finished product. Although the label says serve as-is with a drizzle of olive oil, I have no doubt that many doctor it further. But if you're willing to go to all that trouble, why not start with whole chickpeas? It doesn't seem like much more work. I've generally been quite happy with Ziyad products, except the hummus (which I might well have been using incorrectly).

Ziyad is a local company that started in 1966 as a bakery on the South Side, the first pita bakery in Chicago (the Ziyad website has some good history and recipes). I ate a lot of their pita throughout the 1970s and vividly remember the red and blue-printed plastic bags of 'Syrian Bread' with an image of 'Chef Ziyad' (the website's history section has a photo). My freezer was rarely without a bag. As packaged imports became an increasing part of their business they outgrew their Chicago quarters and moved to Cicero. Now they are a major player in the Middle Eastern food market. Do they really sell Ziyad products in Saudi Arabia?
  • Post #85 - November 10th, 2020, 5:04 pm
    Post #85 - November 10th, 2020, 5:04 pm Post #85 - November 10th, 2020, 5:04 pm
    Rene G wrote:

I'm not a big fan of Ziyad canned hummus. Instead of lemon it contains citric acid at a level I find unpleasant, and there's no garlic. The texture is heavy and dry, almost crumbly (maybe some peanut butter or mayonnaise would help?!). I'll be curious to hear your opinion.

G Wiv wrote:I will never tire of hummus.

You just might tire of Ziyad canned hummus.

In another thread JoelF wrote:I seem to remember it was OK with significant doctoring with lemon, garlic, cumin, paprika, good olive oil...

chgoeditor wrote:Living in Saudi Arabia, the Ziyad brand was very popular, and a lot of hummus recipes that floated around began with, "Take one can of hummus and one can of chick peas..." So if you don't like it straight from the can (I can't say I've ever tried it), you can always throw it into the next batch you make.

Interesting comments. It hardly occurred to me that Ziyad canned hummus (imported from Jordan) might be a starting point, not the finished product. Although the label says serve as-is with a drizzle of olive oil, I have no doubt that many doctor it further. But if you're willing to go to all that trouble, why not start with whole chickpeas? It doesn't seem like much more work. I've generally been quite happy with Ziyad products, except the hummus (which I might well have been using incorrectly).

Ziyad is a local company that started in 1966 as a bakery on the South Side, the first pita bakery in Chicago (the Ziyad website has some good history and recipes). I ate a lot of their pita throughout the 1970s and vividly remember the red and blue-printed plastic bags of 'Syrian Bread' with an image of 'Chef Ziyad' (the website's history section has a photo). My freezer was rarely without a bag. As packaged imports became an increasing part of their business they outgrew their Chicago quarters and moved to Cicero. Now they are a major player in the Middle Eastern food market. Do they really sell Ziyad products in Saudi Arabia?

I could have sworn it was Ziyad, but it was also 35 years ago so it could have been another similarly colored can.
  • Post #86 - November 10th, 2020, 5:50 pm
    Post #86 - November 10th, 2020, 5:50 pm Post #86 - November 10th, 2020, 5:50 pm
    chgoeditor wrote:
    Rene G wrote:Do they really sell Ziyad products in Saudi Arabia?

I could have sworn it was Ziyad, but it was also 35 years ago so it could have been another similarly colored can.

Ah, I had no idea it was that long ago. That makes it seem quite unlikely. Even if it were recent, it still seemed unlikely, but potentially very interesting (that's why I asked). I've enjoyed learning about these local little guys who made it big. Until very recently I didn't realize there is a direct connection between the fresh 'peta' I used to regularly buy and the now-ubiquitous Middle Eastern label. It wouldn't be at all surprising if Ziyad chose a color scheme similar to a well-known Middle Eastern brand.

I intend to doctor my remaining can of hummus. I'm sure it will be better, but whether it's worth the trouble remains to be seen. Who knows? I might become a fan of the can!
  • Post #87 - November 16th, 2020, 10:09 am
    Post #87 - November 16th, 2020, 10:09 am Post #87 - November 16th, 2020, 10:09 am
    G Wiv wrote:Hummus, count me a Fan!

Your girl Refika has a new video with a couple of different hummus variations, including one with beet . . .

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #88 - November 17th, 2020, 3:59 am
    Post #88 - November 17th, 2020, 3:59 am Post #88 - November 17th, 2020, 3:59 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Your girl Refika has a new video with a couple of different hummus variations, including one with beet . . .

I saw that, thanks. Refika is a Goddess.

Rene G wrote:I'm not a big fan of Ziyad canned hummus. Instead of lemon it contains citric acid at a level I find unpleasant, and there's no garlic. The texture is heavy and dry, almost crumbly (maybe some peanut butter or mayonnaise would help?!). I'll be curious to hear your opinion.

The omniscient Rene G nailed it, Ziyad canned hummus shouts manipulated citrus flavor by Dr. Weird and the texture is dry, chalky. I was immediately struck by lack of salt, not to mention garlic or other flavors, bland. Also, when one opens the can there is a strong peat, bean, musky odor, dissipates quickly but noticeable.

That said, after substantial doctoring Ziyad canned hummus was edible using tortilla chips for dippers. Not a fan but not as bad as I thought.

click to enlarge
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #89 - February 20th, 2022, 9:58 am
    Post #89 - February 20th, 2022, 9:58 am Post #89 - February 20th, 2022, 9:58 am
    Brought an appetizer to a party last evening, thought I'd combine two of my favorite, hummus and sardines. Made a big batch of beet hued hummus, slightly on the spicy side, cut up daikon, turnip and made spice dusted chips and a few jammy eggs. When I got to the party I layered Riga Gold Smoked Sprats in Oil 16/20, I wanted smaller deens, olives, Pappadew peppers and dusted with zaatar.

Was a hit, though, at my wife's suggestion, I also made a smaller serving sans sardine. In fact, the host asked if they could keep the little that was left, which I took as a compliment.

click to enlarge

Sardines and hummus, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #90 - April 15th, 2022, 10:10 am
    Post #90 - April 15th, 2022, 10:10 am Post #90 - April 15th, 2022, 10:10 am
    Hummus, its whats for dinner. + torshi, cucumber, olive, egg, pita dusted with sumac.

click to enlarge

Hummus, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide