LTH Home

The LTHForum Caprese Salad Index

The LTHForum Caprese Salad Index
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - July 23rd, 2007, 10:19 am
    Post #31 - July 23rd, 2007, 10:19 am Post #31 - July 23rd, 2007, 10:19 am
    Yeah, Villa Manodori is my basic high-quality balsamic, too. Very nice for the price. I keep that and the Whole Foods for a lower-end one (it won a Cooks' Illustrated taste-off, it's quite decent for use in cooked dishes, reduced to a glaze for fish, etc.)
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #32 - July 23rd, 2007, 10:39 am
    Post #32 - July 23rd, 2007, 10:39 am Post #32 - July 23rd, 2007, 10:39 am
    Kwe730 wrote:I have a question for you all. Is balsamic vinegar supposed to be a part of this dish or not? It seems that there are so many restaurants that serve it with just a touch of balsamic, but then I read recently that it should not be added because it can interfere with the mozzarella. According to what I was reading, this is especially true if you are using mozzarella di bufala.

Thanks for the help!

For me, balsamic vinegar is definitely not part of the mix. It's too sweet. My capreses have ripe heirlooms, soft and creamy mozzarella (doesn't always have to be bufala -- too expensive), an olive oil with a bit of a bite, a few leaves of basil tucked in, maldon sea salt and ground black pepper. Anything more is gilding the lily, in my book.
  • Post #33 - July 23rd, 2007, 1:41 pm
    Post #33 - July 23rd, 2007, 1:41 pm Post #33 - July 23rd, 2007, 1:41 pm
    aschie30 wrote:
    Kwe730 wrote:I have a question for you all. Is balsamic vinegar supposed to be a part of this dish or not? It seems that there are so many restaurants that serve it with just a touch of balsamic, but then I read recently that it should not be added because it can interfere with the mozzarella. According to what I was reading, this is especially true if you are using mozzarella di bufala.

Thanks for the help!

For me, balsamic vinegar is definitely not part of the mix. It's too sweet. My capreses have ripe heirlooms, soft and creamy mozzarella (doesn't always have to be bufala -- too expensive), an olive oil with a bit of a bite, a few leaves of basil tucked in, maldon sea salt and ground black pepper. Anything more is gilding the lily, in my book.

These points are well taken. Still, a judicious sprinkle of a good balsamic (only a few drops) can brighten things up considerably when all is not otherwise perfect. I also agree that this dish calls for a good quality salt .My preference has been for fleur de sel over Maldon for as I find it somewhat less salty (and like the crunch).
    Lacking fins or tail
    The Gefilte fish
    swims with great difficulty.

Jewish haiku.
  • Post #34 - August 6th, 2007, 6:44 pm
    Post #34 - August 6th, 2007, 6:44 pm Post #34 - August 6th, 2007, 6:44 pm
    Got some of the BelGioioso cow's milk mozz. in the tub with water from Costco and MAN is it not good in a caprese. Ruined it for us, pretty much. It isn't bad at all when melted on a sandwich, and is probably OK for pizza. I think the stuff in the tubes is fresher. The stuff from TJ's is much better (if much more expensive)
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #35 - August 7th, 2007, 1:01 pm
    Post #35 - August 7th, 2007, 1:01 pm Post #35 - August 7th, 2007, 1:01 pm
    First Caprese of the season for me:

Consumed on 7/26/07

Tomatoes - 3.0
    From Daley Center Farmer's Market
    * Not good; barely distinguishable from winter tomatoes

Cheese - 3.5
    Whole Foods Whole Milk Fresh Mozzarella
    *Cheese was standard-issue, but very fresh and tender

Basil - 4.0
    From my "garden"
    *Not as fragrant as I'd like; a little bitter but still good

Discretionary points - 2.0
    1 point for growing my own basil, and 1 point for fruity olive oil and maldon sea salt

Total: 12.5

I'm posting this now as a benchmark because my first CSA box arrives tomorrow, and with the amazing heirlooms I expect to be contained therein, caprese season will then be in full swing. :)
  • Post #36 - July 29th, 2008, 11:17 pm
    Post #36 - July 29th, 2008, 11:17 pm Post #36 - July 29th, 2008, 11:17 pm
    Case Number: LTH-000137a
    Date consumed: 7/29/08
    Tomato Score: 3.75
    Heirloom from Lincoln/Leland Farmers Market
    Mozzarella Score: 3.2
    Gioia Cheese Co Mozzarella from Provenance Food and Wine
    Basil Score: 3.8
    Mid summer from our garden
    Discretionary Points: 4.0
    For using McEvoy Ranch olive oil, Maldon sea salt and basil my wife Ellen grew and picked
    FINAL SCORE: 14.75/20

One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #37 - October 18th, 2009, 8:59 pm
    Post #37 - October 18th, 2009, 8:59 pm Post #37 - October 18th, 2009, 8:59 pm
    I'd be very careful ordering a Caprese Salad.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more