LTH Home

Good steak [and other] knives under $100?

Good steak [and other] knives under $100?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - July 31st, 2019, 8:22 pm
    Post #61 - July 31st, 2019, 8:22 pm Post #61 - July 31st, 2019, 8:22 pm
    stoutisgoodfood wrote:We had the old guy pushing the cart down the sidewalk when I was a kid on the south side. (I hear he's still out there at times). For a housewife in the 60's he was a godsend - although my dad was really good with the stone.

I live in Wilmette and Tony with the push cart from Oak Park was here 2 weeks ago. He does a great job! He’s in Winnetka this week per Next Door.
  • Post #62 - July 31st, 2019, 9:02 pm
    Post #62 - July 31st, 2019, 9:02 pm Post #62 - July 31st, 2019, 9:02 pm
    Geo wrote:In Montréal, you hear a particular sort of bell-ringing out in the ruelle (the alley) and it's a guy in a small truck, with a big ol' round stone wheel rotating. You takes your knives out to him, he grinds them, you give him a couple of bucks, and he moves on, his bell ringing. That's how we do it there.

Geo

I was delighted to see this response in this thread. It echoes my experience living in Santiago, Chile. Once in a while you'll hear, very early in the morning as you're waking, the ringing bell of the knife sharpener going down the street on his bicycle-peddled cart. This is on streets definitely within the big city, metro stations and bus stops and supermarkets nearby, but also where you'll occasionally hear the clop-clop-clop of a horse's hooves on a cobbled street as it pulls a cart, and you'll occasionally hear a rooster crowing in someone's backyard early in the morning.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #63 - August 1st, 2019, 6:38 am
    Post #63 - August 1st, 2019, 6:38 am Post #63 - August 1st, 2019, 6:38 am
    Lovely description Katie! Some cities are like that. In Montréal, you didn't hear chickens five years ago, maybe you do now, but you heard church bells, and festivals, and neighbors down the ruelles, and every single flat/apt has a clothesline that stretches out to the electric poles in the ruelle, and they all screech as you pull them to-and-fro. Wonderful sounds of a real city...

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #64 - August 1st, 2019, 5:33 pm
    Post #64 - August 1st, 2019, 5:33 pm Post #64 - August 1st, 2019, 5:33 pm
    It's really cool to hear that some people are still doing this door-to-door. I had no idea!
  • Post #65 - August 15th, 2019, 12:24 pm
    Post #65 - August 15th, 2019, 12:24 pm Post #65 - August 15th, 2019, 12:24 pm
    These Takayuki VG-10 Hammered Damascus 125mm Wa Steak Knives are nice . . . a little too rich for my blood, but very nice.

=R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more