LTH Home

The Charm of the BLT

The Charm of the BLT
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - August 30th, 2021, 9:26 am
    Post #91 - August 30th, 2021, 9:26 am Post #91 - August 30th, 2021, 9:26 am
    I'm curious about this Blue Plate mayo. How is it compared to Duke's and Hellman's? We've become a Duke's household here for the last four or five years since I first spotted it regularly showing up at the local Pete's Market. Love that stuff.
  • Post #92 - August 31st, 2021, 5:04 pm
    Post #92 - August 31st, 2021, 5:04 pm Post #92 - August 31st, 2021, 5:04 pm
    Binko wrote:I'm curious about this Blue Plate mayo. How is it compared to Duke's and Hellman's?

Blue plate is a little more eggy than Hellman's, slightly thicker, like a dialed up to 12 Hellman's. Duke's has a hint of lemon, maybe a bit lighter and creamier.

Really, its hard to go wrong with any of the three.

Kewpie is slightly sweeter, creamier, or maybe its just the way the squeeze bottle pours. I think it has a bit of MSG for that extra something something. Though there was some talk about abandoning the MSG for the US market. I typically buy mine at a Korean grocery so I think it still contains MSG. (Only the Shadow knows)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #93 - September 19th, 2021, 1:32 pm
    Post #93 - September 19th, 2021, 1:32 pm Post #93 - September 19th, 2021, 1:32 pm
    One of the brunch items I made this morning. Just trying to keep everyone happy around the homestead . . .

BLT
    Homemade bacon, homegrown tomatoes, homemade jalapeno/dill pickles and Route 11 Yukon Gold potato chips.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #94 - September 19th, 2021, 1:38 pm
    Post #94 - September 19th, 2021, 1:38 pm Post #94 - September 19th, 2021, 1:38 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:One of the brunch items I made this morning. Just trying to keep everyone happy around the homestead . . .

This would make me happy, very happy indeed.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #95 - September 19th, 2021, 2:09 pm
    Post #95 - September 19th, 2021, 2:09 pm Post #95 - September 19th, 2021, 2:09 pm
    Ronnie,

Wish there was a "Like" function on this board. Have to do with:

<LIKE>

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #96 - September 28th, 2021, 7:03 pm
    Post #96 - September 28th, 2021, 7:03 pm Post #96 - September 28th, 2021, 7:03 pm
    I try to make a "perfect" BLT once a year.

The centerpiece of my perfect BLT is a vine-ripened tomato that's still warm from the sun.

Bacon is the second-most important ingredient and for me there's no other option than bacon from Plath's Meats...if we're not lucky enough to be up in Northern Michigan, we mail order it 10 pounds at a time. (We do NOT allow ourselves to run out. In the last 5+ years I can't think of a single instance when we didn't have Plath's bacon in the house.)

For bread, I want a fresh-baked loaf, though I'm not picky as to varieties -- this year I've had BLTs with pumpernickel and a multigrain bread.

In my ideal world I'd grow a crunchy iceberg or romaine, but I'm willing to settle for storebought.

I'm a Hellman's fan, and lately, just to make things more interesting, I've been adding a smear of pesto with my mayo. A great addition!

(I can never figure out how to add pics, but happy to email one to a mod if they can add for me.)
  • Post #97 - October 4th, 2021, 4:48 pm
    Post #97 - October 4th, 2021, 4:48 pm Post #97 - October 4th, 2021, 4:48 pm
    Please say more about Plath's. I have never heard of it and there seems to be little information about it on the internet. What would you say makes is better than bacon from quality local butcher shops (Ream's is my go-to)? When you go to the store, do you go to the Rogers City or Petoskey locations?

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more