LTH Home

Open Table

Open Table
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 3
  • Post #31 - April 23rd, 2008, 7:47 am
    Post #31 - April 23rd, 2008, 7:47 am Post #31 - April 23rd, 2008, 7:47 am
    I use it all the time to book work lunches and dinners out. I have also used it to book restaurants in places where I will be traveling. I have never experienced a glitch. I like accumulating the points but that is secondary to the convenience of being able to make a reservation at 8 a.m. or 10 p.m. and download it to my calendar. If there is a choice between two restaurants of the same caliber and I can reserve only one on Open Table, I will go with the one on Open Table.
    - Katie
  • Post #32 - April 23rd, 2008, 8:24 am
    Post #32 - April 23rd, 2008, 8:24 am Post #32 - April 23rd, 2008, 8:24 am
    Cheesehead wrote:I use it all the time to book work lunches and dinners out. I have also used it to book restaurants in places where I will be traveling. I have never experienced a glitch. I like accumulating the points but that is secondary to the convenience of being able to make a reservation at 8 a.m. or 10 p.m. and download it to my calendar. If there is a choice between two restaurants of the same caliber and I can reserve only one on Open Table, I will go with the one on Open Table.
    You know, I don't think I've ever used my points. The points feature could completely go away and I'd be fine with that and would continue to use the platform.
  • Post #33 - April 23rd, 2008, 12:38 pm
    Post #33 - April 23rd, 2008, 12:38 pm Post #33 - April 23rd, 2008, 12:38 pm
    i use it frequently too, but it seems not enough for my points to accumulate to anything useful. actually i think they used to have a more liberal points policy and now they expire after a year... kinda cheapskateish, since i assume the restaurant i made a reservation at somehow paid for those points...and when they expire i doubt they get a refund.

i think they also penalize people who do more than 1 no show by taking away points?

opentable is a good way to search out for last minute reservations and seeing what p,aces are booked... though i've had times when opentable said there wasn't a reservation but after calling there was.

and yes, it's a good way to avoid talking to people on the phone... i can't remember the last time i called somewhere for reservations and found it to be "easy" ...there's just too much going on... them putting you on hold, then you have to mutually find a time that works for both... it's just so much easier with a computer telling you what is avail and not available
  • Post #34 - April 23rd, 2008, 12:58 pm
    Post #34 - April 23rd, 2008, 12:58 pm Post #34 - April 23rd, 2008, 12:58 pm
    dddane wrote:actually i think they used to have a more liberal points policy and now they expire after a year...

According to their website, points expire on accounts that have been inactive for a year, so if you've been using OpenTable with any regularity, your points should be safe.

As for myself, I often use OpenTable when dining before a show or other event downtown, since I can easily see what restaurants are available at the time I need, but I've found that most of the restaurants that I regularly eat at don't use it.
    "Make me one with everything."

-Zen master ordering a hot dog
  • Post #35 - April 23rd, 2008, 9:53 pm
    Post #35 - April 23rd, 2008, 9:53 pm Post #35 - April 23rd, 2008, 9:53 pm
    Re neglecting to use points, points expiring, etc.: As is the case for others, for me the points are beside the point. (Heh.) So much so, that I completely forgot to use a $50 reward coupon from Open Table for, like, two years. But then for the heck of it we tried using it one night anyway--well past a year after the expiration date printed on the coupon--and the restaurant took it, no problem.
  • Post #36 - June 4th, 2009, 7:12 am
    Post #36 - June 4th, 2009, 7:12 am Post #36 - June 4th, 2009, 7:12 am
    I may be a glutton for punishment, but I am giving Open Table another try for my trip to Orlando. Out of pure convenience since i was on the computer anyway I decided to make a reservation for The Palm @ the Hard Rock through Open Table, I guess I will see how this reservation turns out.

Previous issues with Open Table reservations in Chicago, and the suburbs, a lost reservation, seemingly always being first seated by either the kitchen or restrooms, until asking to not be seated there.
  • Post #37 - June 4th, 2009, 10:15 am
    Post #37 - June 4th, 2009, 10:15 am Post #37 - June 4th, 2009, 10:15 am
    I've never had a problem with Opentable, not even once, wait, that's not true. I have tried to make a reso, but have had to call the restaurant when they didn't have a table available at my time. I actually prefer opentable as I can always put my husband's walnut allergy on the reso, as we sometimes forget when we are out. I even used them for a reso at Sixteen, and couldn't have asked for a better table at the window, with no special request. I reccomend printing out your reso confirmation.
  • Post #38 - June 4th, 2009, 10:27 am
    Post #38 - June 4th, 2009, 10:27 am Post #38 - June 4th, 2009, 10:27 am
    im keeping my fingers crossed, and I can and always have asked for a different table than the ones offered in the locations I mentioned above when I have booked through OT in the past.
  • Post #39 - May 24th, 2010, 7:48 am
    Post #39 - May 24th, 2010, 7:48 am Post #39 - May 24th, 2010, 7:48 am
    Open Table emails you after your dinner and asks you to provide feedback. They give you 720 characters to write an anonymous, but public review and another 250 characters to write feedback directly to the restaurant. If they want thoughtful feedback, a 250 character limit seems highly restrictive.

(The above post is 288 characters.)
  • Post #40 - July 25th, 2010, 8:06 am
    Post #40 - July 25th, 2010, 8:06 am Post #40 - July 25th, 2010, 8:06 am
    Darren72 wrote:Open Table emails you after your dinner and asks you to provide feedback. They give you 720 characters to write an anonymous, but public review and another 250 characters to write feedback directly to the restaurant. If they want thoughtful feedback, a 250 character limit seems highly restrictive.

(The above post is 288 characters.)
    I used OpenTable this week for a reservation at the Wheeling outpost of Tuscany. I blasted the service in the public review as it was very poor, and used the 250 character private review to give a couple of examples and point them to the public review. Which, not surprisingly, does not seem to appear on the OpenTable web site at the present time....
    "Fried chicken should unify us, as opposed to tearing us apart. " - Bomani Jones
  • Post #41 - October 20th, 2010, 9:33 am
    Post #41 - October 20th, 2010, 9:33 am Post #41 - October 20th, 2010, 9:33 am
    Is OpenTable worth it?

One independent study estimates that OpenTable’s fees (comprised of startup fees, fixed monthly fees, and per-person reservation fees) translate to a cost of roughly $10.40 for each “incremental” 4-top booked through OpenTable.com. To put that in perspective, consider that the average profit margin, before taxes, for a U.S. restaurant is roughly 5%. This means that a table of 4 spending $200 on dinner would generate a $10 profit. In this example, all of that profit would then go to OpenTable fees for having delivered the reservation, leaving the restaurant with nothing other than the hope that that customer would come back (and hopefully book by telephone the next time).
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #42 - October 20th, 2010, 1:28 pm
    Post #42 - October 20th, 2010, 1:28 pm Post #42 - October 20th, 2010, 1:28 pm
    There are a few things wrong with this quote.

First, the article confused fixed and marginal costs. Second, the 5% margin (assuming it is accurate) is an average among all restaurants. A cursory look at the restaurants that use Open Table in Chicago indicates that it is clearly composed of more-successful-than-average restaurants. Clearly, if restaurants consistently lose money on Open Table, we'd see more restaurants dropping it. Third, the article misunderstands the stock market value of the company by comparing the value of Open Table stock to the number of current clients that they have. Fourth, the article misunderstands the relationship between marginal costs and prices. In short, if you believe this article, Open Table is scooping up all of the profits (and possibly more) that exist in the restaurant industry.
  • Post #43 - March 5th, 2012, 9:58 am
    Post #43 - March 5th, 2012, 9:58 am Post #43 - March 5th, 2012, 9:58 am
    Over the past year or so I have used Open Table quite a bit, cashing in a few points redemtions along the way. Been pretty happy with the results.

One question, I notice an upcoming reservation @ Topolobampo will get me 0 dining points. First time I have ever seen this. Anyone ever had a zero point table on Open Table?
  • Post #44 - March 5th, 2012, 10:06 am
    Post #44 - March 5th, 2012, 10:06 am Post #44 - March 5th, 2012, 10:06 am
    jimswside wrote:Over the past year or so I have used Open Table quite a bit, cashing in a few points redemtions along the way. Been pretty happy with the results.

One question, I notice an upcoming reservation @ Topolobampo will get me 0 dining points. First time I have ever seen this. Anyone ever had a zero point table on Open Table?

Yes, there are certain restaurants and time slots where you don't get any points.
  • Post #45 - March 5th, 2012, 10:06 am
    Post #45 - March 5th, 2012, 10:06 am Post #45 - March 5th, 2012, 10:06 am
    jimswside wrote:Over the past year or so I have used Open Table quite a bit, cashing in a few points redemtions along the way. Been pretty happy with the results.

If you click through to Open Table from the restaurant's website, you often (always?) don't get any points. When I've realized I'm not getting points, I've opened another browser and made the reservation from there.

When it's a hard-to-get reservation and I'm concerned I'll lose it, I keep the zero point reservation. No reason to risk losing it for a whole dollar.

Ronna
  • Post #46 - March 5th, 2012, 10:22 am
    Post #46 - March 5th, 2012, 10:22 am Post #46 - March 5th, 2012, 10:22 am
    thanks folks for the info and tips.

I had never come across this before.
  • Post #47 - March 5th, 2012, 8:02 pm
    Post #47 - March 5th, 2012, 8:02 pm Post #47 - March 5th, 2012, 8:02 pm
    Same thing happened to me for RJ Grunts - no biggie. A good investment since it was my annual pilgrimage combined with Zoo Lights.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #48 - April 21st, 2013, 6:12 pm
    Post #48 - April 21st, 2013, 6:12 pm Post #48 - April 21st, 2013, 6:12 pm
    dddane wrote:i use it frequently too, but it seems not enough for my points to accumulate to anything useful. actually i think they used to have a more liberal points policy and now they expire after a year...

to be clear about expiration, the following is from Open Table's Q&A section:
    Do dining reward points expire?
    Yes, dining points will expire if your account has been inactive for 12 months. If you do not make and honor a reservation within this timeframe, your points will expire. You can view all point activity, including expiration on your "My Profile" page.

I view open table the way I do frequent flyer miles or hotel points. Yes they don't accrue as fast as I would like but at some point I'll have a nice reward.

By the way, is there a "best restaurant using OpenTable points" or "best use of OpenTable points in Chicago" thread on LTH?
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #49 - April 22nd, 2013, 12:49 pm
    Post #49 - April 22nd, 2013, 12:49 pm Post #49 - April 22nd, 2013, 12:49 pm
    Sweet Willie wrote:By the way, is there a "best restaurant using OpenTable points" or "best use of OpenTable points in Chicago" thread on LTH?

Aren't Open Table points/checks equivalent to cash at any restaurant that uses Open Table?
  • Post #50 - April 22nd, 2013, 1:56 pm
    Post #50 - April 22nd, 2013, 1:56 pm Post #50 - April 22nd, 2013, 1:56 pm
    Darren72 wrote:
    Sweet Willie wrote:By the way, is there a "best restaurant using OpenTable points" or "best use of OpenTable points in Chicago" thread on LTH?

Aren't Open Table points/checks equivalent to cash at any restaurant that uses Open Table?

Correct - and you request the certificates in whatever denomination you choose ($20, $50 or $100). You just have to be careful because the certificates expire 180 days after they are issued.
  • Post #51 - June 13th, 2014, 7:56 am
    Post #51 - June 13th, 2014, 7:56 am Post #51 - June 13th, 2014, 7:56 am
    Hotel booking giant Priceline.com announced Friday morning that it will acquire OpenTable for $2.6 billion. Priceline will pay $103 per share in the all cash transaction, a 46% premium over the restaurant reservation platform’s closing price Thursday

http://www.forbes.com/sites/samanthasha ... 6-billion/
  • Post #52 - August 3rd, 2014, 10:57 am
    Post #52 - August 3rd, 2014, 10:57 am Post #52 - August 3rd, 2014, 10:57 am
    One area where I find Open Table to be of value is when I'm traveling and am just looking for a very straightforward meal. For example, I'm going to be in Tacoma/Olympia later this week and need to find a place for a late lunch that I'd like to be under 700 calories. I found a couple of recommendations, although I probably won't bother making a reservation as I can't imagine they'll be that busy at 12:45 on a Thursday!

Of the 11 times I've made a reservation using it in the last year:
    - 5 of these have been on the road alone. I search for the places with the most reviews and a food rating of at least 4.1
    - 2 of these have been on the road with friends where somebody else wanted to go to the restaurant and it was easier to book online than call from a noisy location
    - 1 has been for the hotel restaurant near my office for an interview lunch
    - 2 were for dinners here at the Rosemont complex off 294 (Fogo, Hoffbrauhaus) with family
    - 1 was at Chuck's Darien with family for a Sunday night Bears' game when I wasn't sure how busy they'd be at the bar

I'm a pretty tough grader - it takes a lot to get 4* for food from me. Only one place in the last couple of years has gotten 5* for food on OT, and that was the Sunday Brunch at the Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman.
    "Fried chicken should unify us, as opposed to tearing us apart. " - Bomani Jones
  • Post #53 - August 30th, 2016, 5:02 pm
    Post #53 - August 30th, 2016, 5:02 pm Post #53 - August 30th, 2016, 5:02 pm
    Bumping to ask: Has anyone else found Open Table to be acting kind of wonky lately? All sorts of stuff, both online and mobile...like not keeping me logged-in...not accessing future dates beyond the current month (mobile)...saying "nothing available within 2.5 hours" and you then click anyway and find easy availability...the list goes on.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #54 - August 30th, 2016, 8:56 pm
    Post #54 - August 30th, 2016, 8:56 pm Post #54 - August 30th, 2016, 8:56 pm
    It's been working great for me (same as always) at multiple times in multiple cities. Nothing out of the ordinary at all.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #55 - August 30th, 2016, 9:10 pm
    Post #55 - August 30th, 2016, 9:10 pm Post #55 - August 30th, 2016, 9:10 pm
    Thanks, Steve. Sometime after writing that post, I tried switching browsers (from Safari to Chrome), and the site behaved normally. So maybe it's a Safari/OpenTable problem.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #56 - August 31st, 2016, 3:42 am
    Post #56 - August 31st, 2016, 3:42 am Post #56 - August 31st, 2016, 3:42 am
    riddlemay wrote:Thanks, Steve. Sometime after writing that post, I tried switching browsers (from Safari to Chrome), and the site behaved normally. So maybe it's a Safari/OpenTable problem.

Could be. I use the app.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #57 - August 30th, 2017, 6:41 am
    Post #57 - August 30th, 2017, 6:41 am Post #57 - August 30th, 2017, 6:41 am
    OpenTable Began a Revolution. Now It’s a Power Under Siege.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/29/dini ... -ipad&_r=0
  • Post #58 - March 6th, 2018, 8:18 pm
    Post #58 - March 6th, 2018, 8:18 pm Post #58 - March 6th, 2018, 8:18 pm
    If you already dislike OpenTable, this story will only make it worse . . .

at NewYorkTimes.com, Daniel Victor wrote:Danny Beck, the owner of the Pearl’s Southern Comfort restaurant in Chicago’s Edgewater neighborhood, began noticing such no-shows, often at crucial moneymaking times, at an unusual frequency in recent months. Such failed reservations leave tables open for hours, depriving servers of tips and forcing walk-in diners to be turned away.

OpenTable Says Employee Used Rival Service to Book Hundreds of Fake Restaurant Reservations

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #59 - April 9th, 2021, 2:59 pm
    Post #59 - April 9th, 2021, 2:59 pm Post #59 - April 9th, 2021, 2:59 pm
    Opentable Has Opened Its First Brick-and-Mortar Restaurant. Layla, the first-ever restaurant from the reservations platform, is located inside the first-ever Kayak hotel in Miami Beach.

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/openta ... iami-beach
  • Post #60 - April 28th, 2021, 2:59 pm
    Post #60 - April 28th, 2021, 2:59 pm Post #60 - April 28th, 2021, 2:59 pm
    I have been an avid user of Open Table. I've booked reservations for people I support at work as well as for my own dining. I amassed a good number of points. The point redemption policy for dining is now multiple steps and not valid for every restaurant in their system. Points can also be used for Amazon gift certificates, Kayak hotel stays or magazine subscriptions.

Why do I bring this up? My account was up to 14,000 points last year. I apparently received emails warning me they would expire in December 2020, but in the fog of the pandemic, I have no recollection of them. Even if we weren't dining out to use the points that way, there's always something at Amazon to get. I did an online chat with customer service today and they restored my 14,000 points. I might even use some of them for dining now that things are opening up. Really happy with the result here.
    -Mary

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more