LTH Home

online ordering

online ordering
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • online ordering

Post #1 - August 6th, 2008, 7:20 pm
    Post #1 - August 6th, 2008, 7:20 pm Post #1 - August 6th, 2008, 7:20 pm
    HI, I'd like to ask how have use the online ordering systems for get their food???
    If you have used which online ordering web page do you use???

Think for restaurants and food service related it's pure gold know from users what they think.

Thanks
    Xni-Pec De Yucatan
    Restaurant
  • Post #2 - August 8th, 2008, 9:50 am
    Post #2 - August 8th, 2008, 9:50 am Post #2 - August 8th, 2008, 9:50 am
    As a customer, I've been impressed with online ordering from Big Bowl. They use Order Network.
  • Post #3 - August 8th, 2008, 10:02 am
    Post #3 - August 8th, 2008, 10:02 am Post #3 - August 8th, 2008, 10:02 am
    I've used online ordering for several places. Often I go through GrubHub or other such sites, though sometimes I will go straight to a particular restaurant's website if their setup is user-friendly enough. I like online ordering for take-out/delivery. I've yet to have a mistake in my order when I order online vs over the phone, plus, I never get put on hold if they are busy.
  • Post #4 - August 8th, 2008, 12:10 pm
    Post #4 - August 8th, 2008, 12:10 pm Post #4 - August 8th, 2008, 12:10 pm
    Wish I could say the same: I used it a while back. My order was lost, 1 1/2 hour later I decided to refuse it and found out the restaurant charged the credit card, rather than GrubHub. I'd assumed incorrectly that they were charging the card and then reimbursing the restaurant, so that I wouldn't have to deal directly with the restaurant if there was a problem (the restaurant at least understood the mistake and refunded my money, and the guy at GrubHub did do his best to help.) I wonder if all they're doing is calling your order in for you, in which case it's hardly worth it.

One of the reasons I like the idea of electronic ordering is that there's less possibility of communication error with written communication, especially if you're selecting a checkbox to choose your item. One of the reasons I dislike online ordering is that electronic orders (including fax orders) often get mislaid and forgotten by the restaurant.

Jacob, MenuPages now has an online service as well, I've never used it, because now I'm a bit gunshy of the process. I'd make sure before you set something up, that the orders go somewhere where they'll get immediate attention, and that you get orders in writing, rather than verbally - secondhand verbal orders are guaranteed to be a problem. I'd also recommed trying to set up a system from your own website - Hecky's does this in Evanston - I know there's a way to send an email fax, maybe that's how they do it. Good Luck!
  • Post #5 - August 8th, 2008, 12:37 pm
    Post #5 - August 8th, 2008, 12:37 pm Post #5 - August 8th, 2008, 12:37 pm
    I only use online ordering for lunch downtown from Potbelly or Specialty's. I love the set up of their online ordering - it allows me to adjust the order to my liking w/o worrying about miscommunication. (Although, I have had an order at Potbelly messed up once when I ordered two sandwiches, and they switched the toppings betwee the two sandwiches. However, this other location is not the greatest in terms of fulfilling online orders compared to my primary location.)

I often find that my orders are fulfilled at least 10-15 min of my specified pick up time, so I make an effort to arrive early or order late to ensure that my order is eaten soon after preparation.

I also like that Specialty's keeps track of your orders (<$20) so that after placing your 12th order, they average the cost of all orders and you get a credit in that amount for your 13th order.
  • Post #6 - August 9th, 2008, 2:16 pm
    Post #6 - August 9th, 2008, 2:16 pm Post #6 - August 9th, 2008, 2:16 pm
    I use Grubhub all the time. I think I've had one problem (out of probably 100's of orders).
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #7 - August 9th, 2008, 3:25 pm
    Post #7 - August 9th, 2008, 3:25 pm Post #7 - August 9th, 2008, 3:25 pm
    I wouldn't necessarily fault GrubHub for what happened, it was the restaurant's problem, and I'd used them many times before successfully - However, since that experience, I've stopped using them. If you've got the menus, it just doesn't seem to have any advantage over calling in an order yourself.
  • Post #8 - December 20th, 2008, 7:14 am
    Post #8 - December 20th, 2008, 7:14 am Post #8 - December 20th, 2008, 7:14 am
    I've used campusfood.com and foodonearth.com; Typically the orders get "faxed" in by the online service to the restaurants. I have had mistakes before - when ordering more than one of an entree/app/side, it's better to "add it twice" rather than put a number two in front of the box (for quantity). The restaurants typically only see the name of the entree and miss the number next to it indicating you want more than one; So you end up paying for two (or more) of the item and only getting one - that's just carelessness on the part of the restaurant.

Pro's:
    1) You can see an online running total including delivery and tax
    2) Typically faster delivery (my experience)
    3) Rare rare promos where you get credit or discounts from ordering online
    4) You're charged exactly what's on the menu

Con's:
    1) Missed items depending on how you order
    2) They typically ignore the special comments you write (ie: no _______, less _______, please include cuttlery) in the comments box
    3) You miss out on specials (ie: free fried rice w/ $25 order)
    4) You might miss out on credit card bonuses (for dining out at restaurants) if the restaurant isn't the one processing the order
    5) Depending on the service the price might be more expensive/delivery higher than the usual fee
  • Post #9 - December 20th, 2008, 4:15 pm
    Post #9 - December 20th, 2008, 4:15 pm Post #9 - December 20th, 2008, 4:15 pm
    I have tried a number of different online things from time to time but to me Grubhub works the best. I have had minor issues over the literally hundreds of orders that I have made, and a quick call to the restaurant has always fixed the problem. The only thing that I don't like now is that Grubhub charges the credit card rather than the restaurant. As a result you have to tip the driver before he delivers your food if you want to put the tip on a card. The tip with cash option is still available and is what I use if I have cash but that doesn't always happen. The other thing that I learned is that many restaurants raise the prices on their Grubhub menu as opposed to their normal menu because of the Grubhub fee or they increase their delivery charge. This bothers me and will sometimes result in not ever ordering from them again regardless of how much I may like it. I understand that restaurants operate on very tight margins typically and the Grubhub fee may hurt, but without the service I may never have discovered that you deliver to my area or offer online ordering and therefore may never have ordered food from you. IMHO what works best are places that charge the same amount for food and delivery as they would on Grubhub but they have better specials and special deals for their regular customers.

I highly recommend some type of online ordering system. I sometimes order from places simply because I don't even have to pick up the phone. The ultimate evolution of laziness: too lazy to cook -> go out to eat; too lazy to go out -> call for take out; too lazy to get up off the couch -> have your food delivered too you; too lazy to pick up the phone -> order delivery while watching laughing babies on Youtube.
  • Post #10 - December 20th, 2008, 10:00 pm
    Post #10 - December 20th, 2008, 10:00 pm Post #10 - December 20th, 2008, 10:00 pm
    Has Grubhub changed their policy? Because, as I mentioned above, I'd prefer it if they ran the card - I wonder if they would allow you to add the tip to the total online before the order goes out.

At least that way, you've got someone who can be your advocate who's holding your money and can reimburse you if something goes wrong.
  • Post #11 - December 21st, 2008, 9:02 am
    Post #11 - December 21st, 2008, 9:02 am Post #11 - December 21st, 2008, 9:02 am
    Mhays wrote:Has Grubhub changed their policy? Because, as I mentioned above, I'd prefer it if they ran the card - I wonder if they would allow you to add the tip to the total online before the order goes out.

Yes, that is exactly the way it happens now. When you order online and charge it on Grubhub they are the ones who charge your card. I do not know what their policy for reimbursement is; I have never had to try. It even shows up as Grubhub on your credit card statement.
  • Post #12 - January 5th, 2009, 10:54 am
    Post #12 - January 5th, 2009, 10:54 am Post #12 - January 5th, 2009, 10:54 am
    Hi, yes we charge the card for any online orders paid by credit card. If there are any problems with the order, please contact us either by phone (888.413.8032), email (help_me@grubhub.com) or our new live chat feature and we'll take care of any necessary reimbursements.

gtomaras, if you notice any restaurants charging different prices than their normal menu, please email us at feedback@grubhub.com. I want to make it clear that is not allowed. Their prices on GrubHub.com have to match what's on their takeout menu. The only time you should see different prices is if the restaurant works with a delivery service i.e. a third party delivering the food for the restaurant. Frequently, the agreements between restaurants and delivery services require the delivery service to markup menus so they can make a profit on the order, and since that's an agreement between the restaurant and the delivery service, we have to honor that. But you would pay that price no matter if you order through our website or the restaurant/delivery service's website. It's actually cheaper on GrubHub.com if you order from a DiningIn restaurant because we negotiated a discounted delivery fee.
    Find all of the restaurants that deliver to you: http://www.grubhub.com
  • Post #13 - January 17th, 2009, 6:05 pm
    Post #13 - January 17th, 2009, 6:05 pm Post #13 - January 17th, 2009, 6:05 pm
    diningin.com works well for the downtown area, even big bowl -- which has their own system -- also use diningin
  • Post #14 - January 17th, 2009, 6:45 pm
    Post #14 - January 17th, 2009, 6:45 pm Post #14 - January 17th, 2009, 6:45 pm
    FYI - with the new changes, I ordered successfully and much more comfortably from Grubhub.
  • Post #15 - January 19th, 2009, 1:38 pm
    Post #15 - January 19th, 2009, 1:38 pm Post #15 - January 19th, 2009, 1:38 pm
    diningin.com works well for the downtown area, even big bowl -- which has their own system -- also use diningin

We have a partnership with Diningin so all of those restaurants are on GrubHub as well.

FYI - with the new changes, I ordered successfully and much more comfortably from Grubhub.

Glad to hear it!
  • Post #16 - February 21st, 2009, 7:28 pm
    Post #16 - February 21st, 2009, 7:28 pm Post #16 - February 21st, 2009, 7:28 pm
    Ordered from GrubHub Wednesday night from our local - Siam Taste Noodle. Order was perfect. Only complaint (not really) - it showed up way earlier than the email said. 25 minutes instead of 65.

Since we were home, this was welcome. If I ordered form work to meet dinner at home, it would have been an issue.

Love the GrubHub
  • Post #17 - March 5th, 2009, 1:34 pm
    Post #17 - March 5th, 2009, 1:34 pm Post #17 - March 5th, 2009, 1:34 pm
    Hmm, there might be a problem with the delivery estimate. I'll look into it. Thanks for notifying, though early food is much better than late food!
  • Post #18 - May 8th, 2014, 12:20 pm
    Post #18 - May 8th, 2014, 12:20 pm Post #18 - May 8th, 2014, 12:20 pm
    The Hidden Psychology of Ordering Food Online

“The difference between online ordering and offline is that most restaurants tell us orders are bigger and higher," says Eat24's chief marketing officer Amir Eisenstein. “For example, if you order a pizza over the phone you'll just tell them to bring an XL pizza and a Coke. But when you go online, you see the whole menu. All of a sudden, people order appetizers, ribs, salads, and stuff they don't normally order over the phone. They have more time on the menu, they spend more time on the menu, and they order slightly more items than over the phone.”
    "People sometimes attribute quotes to the wrong person"--Mark Twain
  • Post #19 - March 27th, 2017, 2:46 pm
    Post #19 - March 27th, 2017, 2:46 pm Post #19 - March 27th, 2017, 2:46 pm
    9 restaurants, 1 kitchen, no dining room — virtual restaurants open for online delivery

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #20 - August 14th, 2019, 6:34 am
    Post #20 - August 14th, 2019, 6:34 am Post #20 - August 14th, 2019, 6:34 am
    Food delivery apps are reshaping the restaurant industry — and how we eat — by inspiring digital-only establishments that don’t need a dining room or waiters.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/14/tech ... -ios-share
  • Post #21 - August 21st, 2019, 10:10 am
    Post #21 - August 21st, 2019, 10:10 am Post #21 - August 21st, 2019, 10:10 am
    Whole30, Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises & Grubhub Team Up for Healthier Meal Options with Whole30 Delivered

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 05159.html

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more