LTH Home

New food film about authenticity, race, and privilege

New food film about authenticity, race, and privilege
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • New food film about authenticity, race, and privilege

Post #1 - July 24th, 2016, 6:34 am
    Post #1 - July 24th, 2016, 6:34 am Post #1 - July 24th, 2016, 6:34 am
    I would like to tell you about my new documentary, Some of My Best Friends Are Kimchi. This film is an investigation into the modern foodie’s obsessive pursuit of authenticity in ethnic cuisine. It tells the story of the exploding numbers of well-intentioned foodies who think that discovering genuine ethnic food amounts to cultural appreciation. We investigate how this seemingly progressive openness to diversity actually conceals, facilitates, and repeats centuries-old forms of oppression. The film is currently in production, which spans two continents and four countries, featuring interviews with celebrity chefs, food writers, and academics from around the globe. When completed, Some of My Best Friends Are Kimchi will be a timely exploration of the links between authenticity in food and our troubling colonial past for audiences interested in global cuisine, food, travel, and diversity. We invite you to look at our Kickstarter page to learn more, spread the word, and support the film. Your contribution will not only help complete the film, but also advance the dialogue on our understanding of food, race, and culture from a global perspective.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... are-kimchi
  • Post #2 - July 24th, 2016, 7:15 pm
    Post #2 - July 24th, 2016, 7:15 pm Post #2 - July 24th, 2016, 7:15 pm
    Love it. Donated. Felt great performing my role as a privileged taste-maker and partaking in a cultural artifact.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more