LTH Home

Food Writer Needed in Arizona

Food Writer Needed in Arizona
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Food Writer Needed in Arizona

Post #1 - November 28th, 2018, 2:50 pm
    Post #1 - November 28th, 2018, 2:50 pm Post #1 - November 28th, 2018, 2:50 pm
    We have a fair number of very talented food writers in this group, and I thought someone among those skilled scribes might be interested in this job posting for a food writer in Phoenix.

I was just out in Phoenix, so I can testify to the vibrancy of the food culture there.

Here's the listing: https://usr55.dayforcehcm.com/Candidate ... View/22289

Just try not to write too often on LTH about how much better the weather is than it is here. :)
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #2 - November 28th, 2018, 5:08 pm
    Post #2 - November 28th, 2018, 5:08 pm Post #2 - November 28th, 2018, 5:08 pm
    Cynthia wrote:Just try not to write too often on LTH about how much better the weather is than it is here. :)

Don't worry, it's not. ;) I just got back from Phoenix myself, and the food scene there actually is interesting, but I'm always glad when I get back to Chicago. There used to be an LTH-like message board out there called Phoenix Food Nerds (which has some LTH connection, IIRC), which would seem to be the perfect source for such writers, but, alas, it appears to have been down for a couple of years. Too bad, as it was a great resource when I made my annual visits out there.
  • Post #3 - November 28th, 2018, 11:02 pm
    Post #3 - November 28th, 2018, 11:02 pm Post #3 - November 28th, 2018, 11:02 pm
    Binko wrote: I just got back from Phoenix myself, and the food scene there actually is interesting, but I'm always glad when I get back to Chicago. There used to be an LTH-like message board out there called Phoenix Food Nerds (which has some LTH connection, IIRC), which would seem to be the perfect source for such writers, but, alas, it appears to have been down for a couple of years. Too bad, as it was a great resource when I made my annual visits out there.

Well, there is still an LTH connection -- and he's still good for tips about Phoenix. Dominic Armato was one of the original LTH-ers, but now he's the dining critic at the Arizona Republic. So lots of trustworthy insight into the Phoenix dining scene.
    https://www.azcentral.com/staff/40871/dominic-armato/
    So your annual jaunts can again be well informed.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #4 - November 28th, 2018, 11:41 pm
    Post #4 - November 28th, 2018, 11:41 pm Post #4 - November 28th, 2018, 11:41 pm
    Cynthia wrote:
    Binko wrote: I just got back from Phoenix myself, and the food scene there actually is interesting, but I'm always glad when I get back to Chicago. There used to be an LTH-like message board out there called Phoenix Food Nerds (which has some LTH connection, IIRC), which would seem to be the perfect source for such writers, but, alas, it appears to have been down for a couple of years. Too bad, as it was a great resource when I made my annual visits out there.

Well, there is still an LTH connection -- and he's still good for tips about Phoenix. Dominic Armato was one of the original LTH-ers, but now he's the dining critic at the Arizona Republic. So lots of trustworthy insight into the Phoenix dining scene.

Yes and it was Dom, also a former Moderator here at LTH, who launched Phoenix Food Nerds, though I don't know why that site is now dormant.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #5 - November 29th, 2018, 12:28 am
    Post #5 - November 29th, 2018, 12:28 am Post #5 - November 29th, 2018, 12:28 am
    It looks like an interesting job. Periodically, I check into the Arizona Central website to see his latest reviews of the Asian scene in Mesa and Tempe. And of course, he recently wrote the "Best and Worst of" 40 different noodle cups.

Reading his reviews are a real contrast to the local Tucson scene where nearly every "Best of" choice just happens to go to frequent advertisers.
  • Post #6 - November 29th, 2018, 7:24 am
    Post #6 - November 29th, 2018, 7:24 am Post #6 - November 29th, 2018, 7:24 am
    The Phoenix Food Nerds board was revived in the summer and has had recent activity this month mostly pertaining to the site's operation.

You can register/join the board, but the forum list doesn't show anything. You have to navigate to the member list and view Dom's profile (SkilletDoux) to find the links to the current discussions.

ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Cynthia wrote:

Yes and it was Dom, also a former Moderator here at LTH, who launched Phoenix Food Nerds, though I don't know why that site is now dormant.

=R=
  • Post #7 - December 2nd, 2018, 1:32 am
    Post #7 - December 2nd, 2018, 1:32 am Post #7 - December 2nd, 2018, 1:32 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Yes and it was Dom, also a former Moderator here at LTH, who launched Phoenix Food Nerds, though I don't know why that site is now dormant.

=R=

Nasty case of server crash :-/

Though as edc notes, there are some rumblings!

I'm not running the board anymore (had to turn it over to some of the others when I took the job with the Republic), but the old crew has been kicking the tires. Fingers crossed.

As for the job, we had a real cold snap today. It was 63. Just sayin'.
    Dominic Armato
    Dining Critic
    The Arizona Republic and azcentral.com
  • Post #8 - December 2nd, 2018, 11:11 am
    Post #8 - December 2nd, 2018, 11:11 am Post #8 - December 2nd, 2018, 11:11 am
    Dmnkly wrote:Though as edc notes, there are some rumblings!

That'd be great. It was quite a nice resource, especially for those of us visiting the Phoenix area.

=R=
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more