LTH Home

Lies They Feed Us: "Wild," "Crab," Etc.

Lies They Feed Us: "Wild," "Crab," Etc.
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 8 of 8 
  • Post #211 - April 13th, 2016, 3:57 pm
    Post #211 - April 13th, 2016, 3:57 pm Post #211 - April 13th, 2016, 3:57 pm
    Well, we can now add "local" to the list:

    http://www.tampabay.com/projects/2016/f ... staurants/

    This is Tampa, but I'd be shocked if this wasn't true nationwide.

    For the record, I've never cared much about 'local' or 'non-GMO'. I'm completely in favor of GMOs.
    "I've always thought pastrami was the most sensuous of the salted cured meats."
  • Post #212 - April 13th, 2016, 4:24 pm
    Post #212 - April 13th, 2016, 4:24 pm Post #212 - April 13th, 2016, 4:24 pm
    I only read the first installment in the series, but that's some bad-ass journalism. Hats off to whoever gave this reporter the time and space to tell this story.
  • Post #213 - July 6th, 2017, 3:56 pm
    Post #213 - July 6th, 2017, 3:56 pm Post #213 - July 6th, 2017, 3:56 pm
    My biggest pet peeves are "Dulce De Leche" being used in place of caramel, and fake white chocolate. Considering these are my two favorite things in the world it's quiet infuriating.
  • Post #214 - July 8th, 2017, 1:47 pm
    Post #214 - July 8th, 2017, 1:47 pm Post #214 - July 8th, 2017, 1:47 pm
    Luckyguy wrote:I only read the first installment in the series, but that's some bad-ass journalism. Hats off to whoever gave this reporter the time and space to tell this story.

    Exceptionally well-written, too.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #215 - May 17th, 2019, 11:52 am
    Post #215 - May 17th, 2019, 11:52 am Post #215 - May 17th, 2019, 11:52 am
    Here's a lie that's been annoying me lately: last-minute "seasoning." I see this a lot on cooking shows. I'm watching one right now, a show I like a lot, but I'm dismayed to see a whole duck "seasoned" with a light sprinkling of salt and pepper on the skin right before roasting --- as if any of that salt and pepper is going to penetrate the thick skin and fat and have any effect on the flavor of the duck meat. Unless you like eating, say, duck or chicken skin (which, I admit, I do) what's the point of aggressively seasoning the skin?

    Same applies to applying salt and maybe other seasonings to something seconds before you turn it seasoned-side down on a hot pan or grill. That salt and other seasonings couldn't have had any time to have any effect on the taste of the meat; it's just going to fall off or float off in the oil in the pan.

    All these expert chefs on TV, why don't they bother to explain a bit more about brining or seasoning well in advance (aka dry brining) or seasoning food right after cooking?
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #216 - July 21st, 2019, 3:40 am
    Post #216 - July 21st, 2019, 3:40 am Post #216 - July 21st, 2019, 3:40 am
    If you have noticed the guacamole at a taco spot looking and tasting a little more watery than your standard runny, but still rich taqueria guacamole, it’s because it probably never had any avocado in it, to begin with.

    Fake Guac
    Hold my beer . . .

    Low & Slow
  • Post #217 - January 28th, 2020, 10:21 am
    Post #217 - January 28th, 2020, 10:21 am Post #217 - January 28th, 2020, 10:21 am
    Hewn: "Hand Forged Artisan Bread" Hand made? I believe so. Artisan? I would say yes. Delicious? Certainly. Forged? Not unless you break your teeth on it. I've seen a forge. Bread is not forged.
    "I live on good soup, not on fine words." -Moliere
  • Post #218 - January 28th, 2020, 10:35 am
    Post #218 - January 28th, 2020, 10:35 am Post #218 - January 28th, 2020, 10:35 am
    bw77 wrote:Hewn: "Hand Forged Artisan Bread" Hand made? I believe so. Artisan? I would say yes. Delicious? Certainly. Forged? Not unless you break your teeth on it. I've seen a forge. Bread is not forged.


    I'm pretty sure I had a loaf of that recently. Made for a good doorstop.
  • Post #219 - January 28th, 2020, 10:39 am
    Post #219 - January 28th, 2020, 10:39 am Post #219 - January 28th, 2020, 10:39 am
    bw77 wrote:Hewn: "Hand Forged Artisan Bread" Hand made? I believe so. Artisan? I would say yes. Delicious? Certainly. Forged? Not unless you break your teeth on it. I've seen a forge. Bread is not forged.


    It’s closer than you think. Forging requires heat then beating or hammering. Punching down the dough can be viewed as an analogue to beating but the heat comes after.

    Still too hipster by half.
  • Post #220 - September 2nd, 2020, 4:03 pm
    Post #220 - September 2nd, 2020, 4:03 pm Post #220 - September 2nd, 2020, 4:03 pm
    my hero https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/514877-nebraska-mans-city-council-argument-to-rename-boneless-chicken
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #221 - September 2nd, 2020, 4:10 pm
    Post #221 - September 2nd, 2020, 4:10 pm Post #221 - September 2nd, 2020, 4:10 pm
    Jazzfood wrote:my hero

    Rock ON!
    Image
    Hold my beer . . .

    Low & Slow
  • Post #222 - September 2nd, 2020, 5:46 pm
    Post #222 - September 2nd, 2020, 5:46 pm Post #222 - September 2nd, 2020, 5:46 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    Jazzfood wrote:my hero

    Rock ON!
    Image

    Love it!

    =R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #223 - April 13th, 2021, 6:20 am
    Post #223 - April 13th, 2021, 6:20 am Post #223 - April 13th, 2021, 6:20 am
    To few people's surprise, Blue Diamond Smokehouse Almonds aren't smoked in a smokehouse, they've got "natural hickory smoke flavor".

    I consume a heck of a lot of these... but plaintiff in the case is claiming the packaging is deceptive, the judge agrees enough for it to go to trial.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #224 - April 13th, 2021, 9:42 am
    Post #224 - April 13th, 2021, 9:42 am Post #224 - April 13th, 2021, 9:42 am
    JoelF wrote:To few people's surprise, Blue Diamond Smokehouse Almonds aren't smoked in a smokehouse, they've got "natural hickory smoke flavor".

    I consume a heck of a lot of these... but plaintiff in the case is claiming the packaging is deceptive, the judge agrees enough for it to go to trial.


    This is the problem with the American legal system. The fact the the courts waste time on cases like these are ridiculous and a burden. This is a frivolous case at its base, the only people who may benefit being the lawyers. You can see the basics here: https://www.classaction.org/media/colpi ... rowers.pdf

    It's a class action suit with the class being anyone in the US who has consumed Smokehouse Almonds. For arguments sake, lets say they win, what is the award for everyone in the class, a couple of bucks at the most, while the lawyers take their considerable cut.

    Whether intentionally deceptive or not, who was harmed by that deception?
  • Post #225 - April 13th, 2021, 11:41 am
    Post #225 - April 13th, 2021, 11:41 am Post #225 - April 13th, 2021, 11:41 am
    thetrob wrote:
    JoelF wrote:To few people's surprise, Blue Diamond Smokehouse Almonds aren't smoked in a smokehouse, they've got "natural hickory smoke flavor".

    I consume a heck of a lot of these... but plaintiff in the case is claiming the packaging is deceptive, the judge agrees enough for it to go to trial.


    This is the problem with the American legal system. The fact the the courts waste time on cases like these are ridiculous and a burden. This is a frivolous case at its base, the only people who may benefit being the lawyers. You can see the basics here: https://www.classaction.org/media/colpi ... rowers.pdf

    It's a class action suit with the class being anyone in the US who has consumed Smokehouse Almonds. For arguments sake, lets say they win, what is the award for everyone in the class, a couple of bucks at the most, while the lawyers take their considerable cut.

    Whether intentionally deceptive or not, who was harmed by that deception?


    The system is actually working. The cause may be stupid but the system is not. The class mechanism is appropriate where it's not worth any one person's resources to take legal action but collectively there's a worthwhile common goal. This is clearly not the best example but there are plenty of cases where companies are being enriched at the expense of consumers. No sane person would sue over a dollar but that doesn't mean the offender shouldn't be held accountable.
  • Post #226 - April 13th, 2021, 12:30 pm
    Post #226 - April 13th, 2021, 12:30 pm Post #226 - April 13th, 2021, 12:30 pm
    His point is this particular case. Of course class action makes sense in some cases but this one? Another lawyer-ism. Wasting time in this case imo.
  • Post #227 - April 13th, 2021, 1:09 pm
    Post #227 - April 13th, 2021, 1:09 pm Post #227 - April 13th, 2021, 1:09 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:
    thetrob wrote:
    JoelF wrote:To few people's surprise, Blue Diamond Smokehouse Almonds aren't smoked in a smokehouse, they've got "natural hickory smoke flavor".

    I consume a heck of a lot of these... but plaintiff in the case is claiming the packaging is deceptive, the judge agrees enough for it to go to trial.


    This is the problem with the American legal system. The fact the the courts waste time on cases like these are ridiculous and a burden. This is a frivolous case at its base, the only people who may benefit being the lawyers. You can see the basics here: https://www.classaction.org/media/colpi ... rowers.pdf

    It's a class action suit with the class being anyone in the US who has consumed Smokehouse Almonds. For arguments sake, lets say they win, what is the award for everyone in the class, a couple of bucks at the most, while the lawyers take their considerable cut.

    Whether intentionally deceptive or not, who was harmed by that deception?


    The system is actually working. The cause may be stupid but the system is not. The class mechanism is appropriate where it's not worth any one person's resources to take legal action but collectively there's a worthwhile common goal. This is clearly not the best example but there are plenty of cases where companies are being enriched at the expense of consumers. No sane person would sue over a dollar but that doesn't mean the offender shouldn't be held accountable.


    I have no problem with bringing suit, whether individual or class action, when there IS a worthwhile common goal. My issue is with cases like this and the time and resources that are wasted on them. People have sued because Froot Loops don't actually contain fruit, that Chobani Greek yogurt isn't made in Greece, or by Greek people (ignoring that Greek indicates a "style" of yogurt) that ginger ale doesn't contain actual ginger, and on and on. These are not cases based on misleading advertising, misrepresentation of ingredients, intentional mislabeling or claims of nutritional or health benefits. As I asked originally, who was harmed because your "Smokehouse" almonds were smoke flavored not actually produced in a smokehouse.

    You want to file suit because people were harmed, or could have been, based on misinformation or misleading labeling, then by all means do so. You want to sue because Red Bull didn't give you wings, or because Popeyes gave you a spork instead of a knife and you choked, then sorry, stop wasting everyone's time.
  • Post #228 - April 13th, 2021, 2:18 pm
    Post #228 - April 13th, 2021, 2:18 pm Post #228 - April 13th, 2021, 2:18 pm
    You plainly get some chaff in there and it usually sorts itself out (this made it past dismissal, but that's a very low bar). But generalizing based on the extreme examples overlooks the good that occurs in meritorious claims.
  • Post #229 - April 15th, 2021, 5:20 pm
    Post #229 - April 15th, 2021, 5:20 pm Post #229 - April 15th, 2021, 5:20 pm
    thetrob wrote:
    spinynorman99 wrote:
    thetrob wrote:
    JoelF wrote:To few people's surprise, Blue Diamond Smokehouse Almonds aren't smoked in a smokehouse, they've got "natural hickory smoke flavor".

    I consume a heck of a lot of these... but plaintiff in the case is claiming the packaging is deceptive, the judge agrees enough for it to go to trial.


    This is the problem with the American legal system. The fact the the courts waste time on cases like these are ridiculous and a burden. This is a frivolous case at its base, the only people who may benefit being the lawyers. You can see the basics here: https://www.classaction.org/media/colpi ... rowers.pdf

    It's a class action suit with the class being anyone in the US who has consumed Smokehouse Almonds. For arguments sake, lets say they win, what is the award for everyone in the class, a couple of bucks at the most, while the lawyers take their considerable cut.

    Whether intentionally deceptive or not, who was harmed by that deception?


    The system is actually working. The cause may be stupid but the system is not. The class mechanism is appropriate where it's not worth any one person's resources to take legal action but collectively there's a worthwhile common goal. This is clearly not the best example but there are plenty of cases where companies are being enriched at the expense of consumers. No sane person would sue over a dollar but that doesn't mean the offender shouldn't be held accountable.


    I have no problem with bringing suit, whether individual or class action, when there IS a worthwhile common goal. My issue is with cases like this and the time and resources that are wasted on them. People have sued because Froot Loops don't actually contain fruit, that Chobani Greek yogurt isn't made in Greece, or by Greek people (ignoring that Greek indicates a "style" of yogurt) that ginger ale doesn't contain actual ginger, and on and on. These are not cases based on misleading advertising, misrepresentation of ingredients, intentional mislabeling or claims of nutritional or health benefits. As I asked originally, who was harmed because your "Smokehouse" almonds were smoke flavored not actually produced in a smokehouse.

    You want to file suit because people were harmed, or could have been, based on misinformation or misleading labeling, then by all means do so. You want to sue because Red Bull didn't give you wings, or because Popeyes gave you a spork instead of a knife and you choked, then sorry, stop wasting everyone's time.


    You keep talking about wasting "everyone's time." Who is everyone? Yes, it takes judiciary resources, but most of they key parties are getting compensated for their time. And when there's a class action settlement that benefits me, it takes me 5 minutes to fill out a form and then a check arrives in the mail. Yeah, sometimes it's only a check for $12.97, but other times it's a check for $300. Still, either of those amounts are more than the $0 I'd get if there wasn't a class action.
  • Post #230 - April 18th, 2021, 4:12 pm
    Post #230 - April 18th, 2021, 4:12 pm Post #230 - April 18th, 2021, 4:12 pm
    IMHO, who cares? the damn almonds are pretty tasty, in any case.

    Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #231 - April 18th, 2021, 8:47 pm
    Post #231 - April 18th, 2021, 8:47 pm Post #231 - April 18th, 2021, 8:47 pm
    These class action suits are a way to transfer money mostly to already-wealthy lawyers from corporations and, to some degree, from taxpayers as filing fees don't cover the full cost of maintaining a court system.

    I think these should be called "smoke-flavored almonds" just as so-called smoked cheese that's painted with liquid smoke should be labelled "smoke-flavored cheese". A more active and consumer-friendly regulatory system would be a better way of handling these labelling issues. Other countries have that, for example France with Champagne or Germany with its beer laws. And tighter regulations would help small artisan producers who actually do smoke almonds or cheese, or import yogurt from Greece.
  • Post #232 - April 19th, 2021, 7:06 am
    Post #232 - April 19th, 2021, 7:06 am Post #232 - April 19th, 2021, 7:06 am
    I can't disagree with tjr.

    Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #233 - April 19th, 2021, 11:59 am
    Post #233 - April 19th, 2021, 11:59 am Post #233 - April 19th, 2021, 11:59 am
    Unfortunately, someone has to keep deceptive and unscrupulous entities in line. If consumers are too docile and oblivious to do it for themselves, they leave a nice big opening for third parties to come in and do it on their behalf.

    =R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more