LTH Home

Chicago's Best goes *poof*

Chicago's Best goes *poof*
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Chicago's Best goes *poof*

Post #1 - July 19th, 2021, 12:22 pm
    Post #1 - July 19th, 2021, 12:22 pm Post #1 - July 19th, 2021, 12:22 pm
    eater.com wrote:Chicago’s food media took yet another blow last week when WGN announced the cancelation of Chicago’s Best, the Emmy Award-winning show that’s showcased the city’s restaurant scene for more than a decade. Co-hosts Elliott Bambrough and Marley Kayden provided exposure for local restaurants with themed episodes every week.

One more episode will air on Sunday, August 8 and cover food trucks. Bambrough tweets he’s going to take some time off and further comment at a future date. But right now he’s thankful to see the support. Kayden, who joined the show in 2018, hasn’t commented on the cancelation. The show’s demise, according to Chicago media reporter Robert Feder, is due to WGN’s desire to expand its sports highlights show GN Sports into Chicago’s Best’s time slot.

Chicago’s Best debuted in 2010 with co-hosts Brittney Payton and Ted Brunson. Payton, the daughter of Chicago Bears great Walter Payton, has gone on to Fox Chicago where she does the occasional food segment on Good Day Chicago in addition to other responsibilities.

Chicago’s Best’ Canceled After a Decade on WGN

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #2 - July 19th, 2021, 12:40 pm
    Post #2 - July 19th, 2021, 12:40 pm Post #2 - July 19th, 2021, 12:40 pm
    Wont miss this show at all. Elliot and Ted were both incredibly annoying. Britney Payton was the best thing about the show. There is also a finite number of "best" places and they ran out of them a long time ago.
  • Post #3 - July 19th, 2021, 6:20 pm
    Post #3 - July 19th, 2021, 6:20 pm Post #3 - July 19th, 2021, 6:20 pm
    champs2005 wrote:Wont miss this show at all. Elliot and Ted were both incredibly annoying. Britney Payton was the best thing about the show. There is also a finite number of "best" places and they ran out of them a long time ago.

It was no "NOVA" or "FRONTLINE" but it was enjoyable. I personally will miss it just a bit.
  • Post #4 - July 19th, 2021, 6:24 pm
    Post #4 - July 19th, 2021, 6:24 pm Post #4 - July 19th, 2021, 6:24 pm
    I'm disappointed to see this too. I thought it was a fun show; I enjoyed the enthusiasm. Just another example of all the people and content WGN management, radio and TV, has jettisoned in the last several years (along the same lines as the Chicago Tribune). Don't know if WGN thinks it has improved ratings or profits or whatever; I know it's reduced my enthusiasm for WGN to zero.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #5 - July 20th, 2021, 8:37 am
    Post #5 - July 20th, 2021, 8:37 am Post #5 - July 20th, 2021, 8:37 am
    That's a real bummer. They always did a great job of highlighting places that won't get shine from the more trend-prone outlets and I thought they did an especially good job of including south side locations.
  • Post #6 - July 20th, 2021, 8:58 am
    Post #6 - July 20th, 2021, 8:58 am Post #6 - July 20th, 2021, 8:58 am
    gnarchief wrote:That's a real bummer. They always did a great job of highlighting places that won't get shine from the more trend-prone outlets and I thought they did an especially good job of including south side locations.

I agree. I was surprised by how many times they featured places I didn't know or was only casually familiar with. It's also just a loss in general for the category.

=R=
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more