LTH Home

Interesting obituaries

Interesting obituaries
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 18 of 18 
  • Post #511 - July 30th, 2021, 8:34 pm
    Post #511 - July 30th, 2021, 8:34 pm Post #511 - July 30th, 2021, 8:34 pm
    While not food related, it is on-topic for this thread.

It was recommended to see the documentary Obit. I was able to stream it from Kanopy for free via my library card.

It features the NYT obituary writers and the process in writing a featured obit.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #512 - August 4th, 2021, 8:39 pm
    Post #512 - August 4th, 2021, 8:39 pm Post #512 - August 4th, 2021, 8:39 pm
    To all cookbook and culinary readers, I I pass along this notice from Kitchen Arts & Letters

With deep sadness and regret, we pass along the news that Nach Waxman died suddenly today, August 4, 2021.

Nach founded Kitchen Arts & Letters bookstore in 1983 after a long career in publishing. He built the store into a worldwide haven for people who were serious about food and drink books. He encouraged the best authors, respected the passion and curiosity of cooks and readers at all levels, and never lost a sense of pleasure and wonder at discovering the myriad ways people wrote about cooking, eating, and drinking.

All of us who worked with him will miss him deeply. As we carry on the tradition he created, we will do so with pride and with a determination to make his legacy a lasting one.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #513 - August 7th, 2021, 8:32 pm
    Post #513 - August 7th, 2021, 8:32 pm Post #513 - August 7th, 2021, 8:32 pm
    This article offers context to the obituary posted above.

Nach Waxman Sells Passion for Food at Manhattan Cookbook Store
    “Recipes are a dime a dozen. Anybody can get recipes off the Internet,” he says. “But recipes aren’t the whole story. We want books that show how it all fits together — that show every aspect of how food impacts our life…. We carry books here you didn’t know existed until you came — and that’s the kind of serendipity you still can’t find online. We don’t sell any books here without a conversation.”

The Key to Old World Borscht

On the Upper West Side, Nach Waxman keeps an Eastern European culinary tradition alive in his ceramic crock: a fermented beet brine called russel.

I made russel unaware of the tradition. I was just following something read in a book.
    Cathy2

• Post #514 - September 5th, 2021, 5:27 am
    Post #514 - September 5th, 2021, 5:27 am Post #514 - September 5th, 2021, 5:27 am
    Delores Custer, 79, Dies; Gave Star Turns to Cornflakes and Noodles
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/04/dini ... ticleShare
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events