LTH Home

Stanley Tucci Searching for Italy

Stanley Tucci Searching for Italy
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Stanley Tucci Searching for Italy

Post #1 - March 1st, 2021, 10:04 am
    Post #1 - March 1st, 2021, 10:04 am Post #1 - March 1st, 2021, 10:04 am
    Is anybody watching this? What do you think? Its interesting, I'm a sucker for travel/food shows. He is no Anthony Bourdain but still something different to watch. I find it difficult to get excited about zucchini pasta, but I have not tried it. The bolognese sauce featured in the last episode was odd indeed. No tomatoes. I think bolognese sauce is something alot of Italians will argue about as to what is really authentic. Anyway, a penny for your thoughts.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #2 - March 1st, 2021, 11:50 am
    Post #2 - March 1st, 2021, 11:50 am Post #2 - March 1st, 2021, 11:50 am
    I have watched and enjoyed the first three episodes. It's obviously a completely different vibe than Bourdain. It's interesting to see him coming at topics (and food) from a viewpoint of a consumer, not as a chef. His wide eyed wonderment as well as obvious enjoyment in both learning about the lineage, source and history of ingredients as well as being able to taste them in simple preparations and dishes is a refreshing take. His being of Italian heritage and working his way around the various regions/cities of Italy works well, and so far I think the pacing has been good and the guests he has featured have a engaging "excitedness" about the ingredient or dish they are covering.
  • Post #3 - March 1st, 2021, 5:26 pm
    Post #3 - March 1st, 2021, 5:26 pm Post #3 - March 1st, 2021, 5:26 pm
    I've watched the first 2 episodes and enjoyed them both. I rarely watch cooking shows but I like the way Tucci tells the stories.
  • Post #4 - March 2nd, 2021, 10:37 am
    Post #4 - March 2nd, 2021, 10:37 am Post #4 - March 2nd, 2021, 10:37 am
    thetrob wrote:I have watched and enjoyed the first three episodes. It's obviously a completely different vibe than Bourdain. It's interesting to see him coming at topics (and food) from a viewpoint of a consumer, not as a chef. His wide eyed wonderment as well as obvious enjoyment in both learning about the lineage, source and history of ingredients as well as being able to taste them in simple preparations and dishes is a refreshing take. His being of Italian heritage and working his way around the various regions/cities of Italy works well, and so far I think the pacing has been good and the guests he has featured have a engaging "excitedness" about the ingredient or dish they are covering.

I generally like the show, and agree mostly with your take. I would say that maybe it's not early get drunk with Zamir Bourdain, but I find there's a, we got to include, not quite sure the word, virtue signaling is too strong, but like CNN Tony, Tucci wants us to see a full range of each city, that being on CNN means journalism as well as eating?
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #5 - March 3rd, 2021, 8:17 am
    Post #5 - March 3rd, 2021, 8:17 am Post #5 - March 3rd, 2021, 8:17 am
    There are miles of difference between Bourdain's 'Parts Unknown' and Tucci's 'Searching For Italy', but I liked/like them both. Bourdain could be sarcastic, but with a true reporter's eye for getting at the truth, which was compelling. Tucci's character does not offend, is much happier overall, but to his credit he finds stories within the stories, and after only 3 episodes I'm seeing more deep dives into the recipes & ingredient sourcing than Bourdain did. In that respect, it's more of a food show rather than a cultural commentary.

Searching For Italy has already been picked up for a 2nd season, due to big TV numbers. His original pitch to CNN was to target 22 different areas in Italy--they gave him six as a look-see. The test will be to find previously-unseen gems within non-traveled areas like Molise, le Marche and his home province of Calabria. I haven't checked, but I presume some of the same writers, editors & crew that worked for Parts Unknown are present on this show too. Have to say the camerawork is stunning.
    Last edited by jnm123 on March 11th, 2021, 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #6 - March 3rd, 2021, 11:40 am
    Post #6 - March 3rd, 2021, 11:40 am Post #6 - March 3rd, 2021, 11:40 am
    Tucci's attempt at edgy/offbeat is emphasizing a non-tourist destination in each episode. In his Naples episode he went to Scampia (the slums that are familiar to anyone who watched "Gomorrah"). The area has a large encampment of Romany and he visited a restaurant with Neapolitan and Romany cuisine which enabled impoverished women to make a living showcasing their cultural dishes. He does a similar segment in the Rome episode. It's less a "hidden Italy" than places most people don't have time to focus on in a normal visit. Overall, it's a good show.
  • Post #7 - March 3rd, 2021, 11:53 am
    Post #7 - March 3rd, 2021, 11:53 am Post #7 - March 3rd, 2021, 11:53 am
    I don't know about that bolognese recipe. Never heard of anything like it. Of course I have not been to that part of Italy. Truthfully, ground veal does not have much flavor. And carrots do not bring much to the party. The flavor stars are the onions and the bacon. Of course don't knock it until you try it. Please post on here if you have tried this or the zucchini pasta recipe.
    Toria

W. Shakespeare
  • Post #8 - March 4th, 2021, 6:37 am
    Post #8 - March 4th, 2021, 6:37 am Post #8 - March 4th, 2021, 6:37 am
    toria wrote:I don't know about that bolognese recipe. Never heard of anything like it. Of course I have not been to that part of Italy. Truthfully, ground veal does not have much flavor. And carrots do not bring much to the party. The flavor stars are the onions and the bacon. Of course don't knock it until you try it. Please post on here if you have tried this or the zucchini pasta recipe.

Who remembers Fanny's in Evanston? A non-tomato Bolognese. At the time I thought it was about as Italian as Roddy MacDowall. Folks waxed poetic about the 'sauce' but to me it resembled a dry sloppy joe mixture.
  • Post #9 - March 5th, 2021, 12:03 pm
    Post #9 - March 5th, 2021, 12:03 pm Post #9 - March 5th, 2021, 12:03 pm
    Supposedly the non tomato sauce is called White Bolognese. I'll probably try making it sometime but I've found some recipes that seem more flavorful that what was portrayed on the program. I will combine beef and italian sausage instead of veal. I will put bacon in too. If anyone has tomato allergies this might be a promising way to go.
    Toria

W. Shakespeare
  • Post #10 - March 10th, 2021, 8:30 pm
    Post #10 - March 10th, 2021, 8:30 pm Post #10 - March 10th, 2021, 8:30 pm
    Vital Information wrote:
    thetrob wrote:I have watched and enjoyed the first three episodes. It's obviously a completely different vibe than Bourdain. It's interesting to see him coming at topics (and food) from a viewpoint of a consumer, not as a chef. His wide eyed wonderment as well as obvious enjoyment in both learning about the lineage, source and history of ingredients as well as being able to taste them in simple preparations and dishes is a refreshing take. His being of Italian heritage and working his way around the various regions/cities of Italy works well, and so far I think the pacing has been good and the guests he has featured have a engaging "excitedness" about the ingredient or dish they are covering.

I generally like the show, and agree mostly with your take. I would say that maybe it's not early get drunk with Zamir Bourdain, but I find there's a, we got to include, not quite sure the word, virtue signaling is too strong, but like CNN Tony, Tucci wants us to see a full range of each city, that being on CNN means journalism as well as eating?

I truly enjoy the the show, however I am having a difficult time understanding what you (Vital) are saying. You mention Tony, (I have never heard anyone call him anything other than Anthony). And then you also mention CNN and Journalism in the same sentence!
    "I drink to make other people more interesting."
    Ernest Hemingway
  • Post #11 - March 12th, 2021, 4:19 pm
    Post #11 - March 12th, 2021, 4:19 pm Post #11 - March 12th, 2021, 4:19 pm
    Marshall K wrote:I truly enjoy the the show, however I am having a difficult time understanding what you (Vital) are saying. You mention Tony, (I have never heard anyone call him anything other than Anthony). And then you also mention CNN and Journalism in the same sentence!

You watch enough episodes of No Reservations or his other shows and his friends (Ripert, etc.) would always call him "Tony." It rubs off.
  • Post #12 - March 12th, 2021, 6:37 pm
    Post #12 - March 12th, 2021, 6:37 pm Post #12 - March 12th, 2021, 6:37 pm
    Is the current season of this show going to be 6 episodes? I heard four episodes before the show started. It sounds like they taped some of the episodes before the pandemic started, and they mentioned during the first episode that they managed to tape the first episode during a lull during the pandemic when restaurants were back open for awhile. Stanley currently lives in London, and so that makes it easier for him to travel back and forth as opposed to living in the US.

I have not watched it yet, but supposedly National Geographic has a show with Gorden Ramsey where he tours the US with several of his friends. I saw a few episodes that he did last year with them where he visited several different countries to sample the food. It was similar to Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations.
  • Post #13 - March 14th, 2021, 12:48 pm
    Post #13 - March 14th, 2021, 12:48 pm Post #13 - March 14th, 2021, 12:48 pm
    Ragu Bolognese by Pellagrino Artusi 1891

Ingredients:
    10 ounces pancetta or unsmoked bacon (finely chopped)
    1 medium onion (4-oz), finely chopped
    1 large carrot (4-oz), finely chopped
    Optional: 2 celery stalks (4-oz), finely chopped
    20 ounces ground veal
    Butter: 4 Ounces??
    Optional: 1 cup dry white or red wine
    1 cup of beef broth
    Optional: 1/2 cup of tomato paste
    Optional: 2 tablespoons of heavy cream
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Preparations:
    Finely chop the pancetta, onion & carrot. Set aside. Preheat a large skillet over medium. Add the pancetta. Stir until golden & fat has rendered, about 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in onions & carrots. Sweat with the pancetta until onions are slightly caramelized & vegetables start to soften & translucent but not browned, about 10 minutes.
    Season the veal with salt and pepper. Add to the pan & increase the heat to medium-high. Stir for about 15 minutes, breaking it up with the back of a spoon, until browned and its oils sizzling. Scrape the bottom of the pan, if necessary. Add beef broth & wine. Reduce for 10 minutes.
    Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce cook uncovered at a very slow simmer that is bubbling lightly. Stir often (about every 10 to 15 minutes) and add broth or wine a little at a time until it slowly thickens and the rich, orange oils start rising to the top, about 2 hours.
    When the Bolognese is almost done, stir in 2 tablespoons of heavy cream and give it a taste. Freshen with a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper if needed. The Bolognese is finished when the deep orange fat rises to the top and the sauce has a rich flavor. Use an immersion stick blender if you prefer a smoother sauce.
  • Post #14 - March 14th, 2021, 1:53 pm
    Post #14 - March 14th, 2021, 1:53 pm Post #14 - March 14th, 2021, 1:53 pm
    I noticed that two of Stanley's cookbooks are currently on the best seller list on Amazon. It looks like they both have good reviews too.
  • Post #15 - March 30th, 2021, 8:19 am
    Post #15 - March 30th, 2021, 8:19 am Post #15 - March 30th, 2021, 8:19 am
    Some more recipes. https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/stan ... index.html

If you missed the shows but have on demand function, you can see them on there.
    Toria

W. Shakespeare
  • Post #16 - April 5th, 2021, 10:55 am
    Post #16 - April 5th, 2021, 10:55 am Post #16 - April 5th, 2021, 10:55 am
    Thanks to this thread for planting a subliminal message.... after the guests were gone and the dishes were cleared yesterday, my wife and I sat down to some Sunday night TV.

Being Easter, the only thing that seemed to be on was the modern retelling of Jesus rising to become our Savior, starring Bruce Willis as the Apostle Korben (Peter) and Milla Jovovich as Leeloo (Jesus). But alas, we had only seen that one a couple hundred times more than The Ten Commandments.

So cruising through the guide, we stumbled on this Stanley Tucci show. Not only that, but CNN was running a mini marathon.

In no time, my wife and I completed 6 episodes and have a few ideas to add to our travel bucket list. We were hooked.

Thanks to Toria and the rest of LTH for the mention and comments, as I probably would have skimmed right past it.
    Bill-Plainfield
  • Post #17 - April 13th, 2022, 12:26 am
    Post #17 - April 13th, 2022, 12:26 am Post #17 - April 13th, 2022, 12:26 am
    The new season of Stanley Tucci's Searching for Italy is going to start on May 1st, 2022. For one of the episodes, he is going to be in London where he currently lives.

There is another show premiering on May 1st on CNN. This show is called Nomad, and stars Carlton McCoy who is a professionally trained chef. He is going to spend a lot of time discussing food and cooking in the episodes that they are going to be showing.
  • Post #18 - September 25th, 2022, 9:59 pm
    Post #18 - September 25th, 2022, 9:59 pm Post #18 - September 25th, 2022, 9:59 pm
    There are still four segments of season two of Searching for Italy that CNN has not shown yet. When I was watching CNN a few days ago, they said that the remaining four episodes are going to be shown in October. I can't remember when. The whole season got delayed because of the fighting in Ukraine. When it first started, CNN was reporting from Ukraine pretty much 24/7 for the first few months.
  • Post #19 - September 26th, 2022, 7:03 am
    Post #19 - September 26th, 2022, 7:03 am Post #19 - September 26th, 2022, 7:03 am
    Season 1 of "Searching for Italy" just dropped on Discovery +.
  • Post #20 - September 28th, 2022, 5:06 pm
    Post #20 - September 28th, 2022, 5:06 pm Post #20 - September 28th, 2022, 5:06 pm
    The remaining four episodes of season 2 of Searching for Italy are going to be shown on CNN starting 10/9.
  • Post #21 - October 9th, 2022, 3:23 am
    Post #21 - October 9th, 2022, 3:23 am Post #21 - October 9th, 2022, 3:23 am
    This is just to remind people that CNN is going to show new episodes of Searching for Italy starting tonight 10/9 at 8:00 pm central.
  • Post #22 - October 19th, 2022, 8:04 am
    Post #22 - October 19th, 2022, 8:04 am Post #22 - October 19th, 2022, 8:04 am
    Books, internet, movies, TV, YouTube, outer-space, Stanley Tucci is Everywhere, including my kitchen. The Bride received his cookbook as a gift and asked me (nicely) to make Spaghetti alla Nerano.

Bit messy, though easy to make, inexpensive, simple ingredients. I liked Spaghetti Alla Nerano, she Loved Spaghetti Alla Nerano with a capitol L.

click to enlarge

Spaghetti Alla Nerano, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #23 - December 25th, 2022, 9:42 am
    Post #23 - December 25th, 2022, 9:42 am Post #23 - December 25th, 2022, 9:42 am
    Christmas dinner. Spaghetti Alla Nerano. Forgot to get fresh basil. Baby spinach made a decent substitute. Bride and Santa were happy.

click to enlarge

Spaghetti Alla Nerano, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #24 - December 25th, 2022, 5:00 pm
    Post #24 - December 25th, 2022, 5:00 pm Post #24 - December 25th, 2022, 5:00 pm
    Rumor has it that CNN cancelled Tucci's show and he is shopping it to other networks/streaming services. I trust he will find one.
  • Post #25 - December 25th, 2022, 5:31 pm
    Post #25 - December 25th, 2022, 5:31 pm Post #25 - December 25th, 2022, 5:31 pm
    jnm123 wrote:Rumor has it that CNN cancelled Tucci's show and he is shopping it to other networks/streaming services. I trust he will find one.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/sta ... 30828.html

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more