LTH Home

Roach on plate - WWYD?

Roach on plate - WWYD?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Roach on plate - WWYD?

Post #1 - November 28th, 2022, 8:26 am
    Post #1 - November 28th, 2022, 8:26 am Post #1 - November 28th, 2022, 8:26 am
    It really happened. I won't say where, I guess it doesn't matter at this point. We were done eating a very good meal, entertaining out of town family guests at a tried and true spot. 10 of us, eatin' good in the neighborhood (no, that's not a hint.) We all loved the meal, as we normally do when we go to that place. It was crowded, lively atmosphere, everything was just fun and good. UNTIL...

Every food morsel was gone. We actually didn't over order for once. I was sitting next to the oldest kid, and he nudged me to look on his plate, and...plain as day since the plate was clean, save for a few smears of sauce, and a few crumbs, a small freekin cucaracha, belly up. I slyly asked the Mrs to come to our portion of the table, she was too far away to see it. We were springing for the meal, so I wanted to check with her and make sure which protocol was needed, either WWIII, or just a mild civil unrest, since the bill would be a few hundred bux. She said , "You handle it."

So, the server came around for the final courtesy, I calmly waved her over, and used nonverbal queues for her to look directly at the plate, with no question of what exactly she should be looking at. She immediately went into extreme apology mode, and asked me to please hold tight, and scurried away. On return, the offer made was to take one entree off of the bill (in between more apologies.) I simply said, "Sure." Then we lived our lives. I'd say only 4 ppl out of 10 at our table actually even knew what happened until we left. No scene made, no big deal. The kid didn't freak out. What's kinda funny in hindsight, is that there was a table of 6 Chicago cops right next to us, and I think if I showed it to them, they'd probably just laugh, and I would too, knowing that they probably would write up a report, only for show, if we made a stink about it. Also, seriously in hindsight, I think I should have asked for a mgr, and told them I do not want ANY discount, and then also explained that we would just never be returning, and that I'll just do what I please with the pictures I took. I've worked in restaurants and a few bars before, I know that roaches exist in almost all of them, and mistakes happen. I've seen some things, trust me. But it's been a LONG time since I've been in a roachy situation. I just played it calm, especially since the kid wasn't freaked out.

So, what would you have done, honestly?
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #2 - November 28th, 2022, 9:50 am
    Post #2 - November 28th, 2022, 9:50 am Post #2 - November 28th, 2022, 9:50 am
    seebee wrote:So, what would you have done, honestly?

You handled this adult, subtle, no #karen bullsh*t. Nice.

Almost exact thing happened to me about 30-years ago. Early breakfast at a long gone divey breakfast place near McCormick Place before a trade show. Eggs, ham, grits etc. I was about halfway through when a roach strolled across my plate. I didn't really react, just laid down $10 to cover breakfast and walked out without a word.

Fun way to start the day. :)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #3 - November 28th, 2022, 1:41 pm
    Post #3 - November 28th, 2022, 1:41 pm Post #3 - November 28th, 2022, 1:41 pm
    Happened to me too about 15 years ago at a once-very-popular microbrewery and restaurant in Lincoln Park. We let them know, accepted whatever discount they offered, and left as soon as we could.
  • Post #4 - November 28th, 2022, 1:51 pm
    Post #4 - November 28th, 2022, 1:51 pm Post #4 - November 28th, 2022, 1:51 pm
    Happened to me once and honestly, it had so little impact, I don't even remember where it was. I remember it being kind of a bummer at the time but I've probably been back since then.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #5 - November 28th, 2022, 2:28 pm
    Post #5 - November 28th, 2022, 2:28 pm Post #5 - November 28th, 2022, 2:28 pm
    Long time ago when I had no vision of Chowhound or LTH dancing through my head, a cockroach walked across a restaurant table. I was with my cousin who would have freaked and demanded we leave. I flicked that roach off the table fast and was pleased my cousin did not notice.

Yes, I have gone back to this place many times since then.

I might react differently if it was in my food, but the table was bare. I guess the roach was commuting to goodness knows where.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #6 - November 29th, 2022, 10:12 am
    Post #6 - November 29th, 2022, 10:12 am Post #6 - November 29th, 2022, 10:12 am
    A similar scenario has happened to me twice, both times more than 30 years ago.

The first time was at a Thai restaurant on the north side that is still in business. A roach crawled up the wall while we waited for our food to be served. As I recall, my husband knocked it to the floor (and probably stepped on it). We didn't say anything and went about our business of eating. Haven't been back since, but more because of the vast choices of Thai restaurants closer to home.

The second time was a mom-and-pop Italian restaurant on the NW side. Just now Googled it to find it closed a few years ago when the owners retired. I got to the bottom of a bowl of my favorite dish there and spotted a dead roach. Again didn't say anything because it was pretty crowded, tightly packed and I wasn't in the mood for making a scene or having other diners learn about it. We went back a few times after, but I never felt the same about my formerly favorite dish. A couple of years after that, we moved out of the neighborhood, so it became a non-issue.
  • Post #7 - November 29th, 2022, 1:09 pm
    Post #7 - November 29th, 2022, 1:09 pm Post #7 - November 29th, 2022, 1:09 pm
    It's funny how these things are.
    This (sort of ) happened to me one time in Montreal
    I had a salad and a rather large, dead, grasshopper-type item was on the plate,
    discovered when half-way thru.
    I notified the server and our entire lunch was comped (just 2 of us)
    I don't even remember the name of the restaurant although I was rather traumatized LOL
    It was a VERY large bug
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #8 - November 30th, 2022, 9:59 am
    Post #8 - November 30th, 2022, 9:59 am Post #8 - November 30th, 2022, 9:59 am
    This brings back some memories. Many years ago, I was living in Columbus, Ohio after college, and one of my co-workers and his wife were traveling to Chicago. They wanted a pizza recommendation and I sent them to a well-known joint I used to enjoy in high school (and wouldn't touch now with a 10-foot tourist). When my co-worker got back I sought him out to hear about his experience. He kind of hemmed and hawed and finally admitted that they found a roach baked right into the crust of their pizza. He was very nonchalant about it but he knew I'd be mortified, which I was. They got a free dinner out of it and many, many apologies, but it has never eased the memory that I once sent a couple innocent Ohioans to my hometown roachzerria.
  • Post #9 - January 22nd, 2023, 8:19 pm
    Post #9 - January 22nd, 2023, 8:19 pm Post #9 - January 22nd, 2023, 8:19 pm
    I found a cigarette butt stirred into a risotto I had at an upscale place in Kansas City. I quietly pointed it out to the server, thinking I might be able to have it taken away and get a different side. She whipped the plate away, and a manager showed up accusing me of planting it for a free meal! We stood up and walked out and never went back.
    “Assuredly it is a great accomplishment to be a novelist, but it is no mediocre glory to be a cook.” -- Alexandre Dumas

"I give you Chicago. It is no London and Harvard. It is not Paris and buttermilk. It is American in every chitling and sparerib. It is alive from tail to snout." -- H.L. Mencken
  • Post #10 - January 22nd, 2023, 10:44 pm
    Post #10 - January 22nd, 2023, 10:44 pm Post #10 - January 22nd, 2023, 10:44 pm
    mamagotcha wrote:I found a cigarette butt stirred into a risotto I had at an upscale place in Kansas City. I quietly pointed it out to the server, thinking I might be able to have it taken away and get a different side. She whipped the plate away, and a manager showed up accusing me of planting it for a free meal! We stood up and walked out and never went back.

A good offense is a good defense. Sorry this happened and glad you walked out.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #11 - January 23rd, 2023, 7:14 pm
    Post #11 - January 23rd, 2023, 7:14 pm Post #11 - January 23rd, 2023, 7:14 pm
    mamagotcha wrote:I found a cigarette butt stirred into a risotto I had at an upscale place in Kansas City. I quietly pointed it out to the server, thinking I might be able to have it taken away and get a different side. She whipped the plate away, and a manager showed up accusing me of planting it for a free meal! We stood up and walked out and never went back.

Wow.

Since I am in KC regularly, I would love to know which restaurant this was.
  • Post #12 - January 23rd, 2023, 10:12 pm
    Post #12 - January 23rd, 2023, 10:12 pm Post #12 - January 23rd, 2023, 10:12 pm
    I'm astonished it's still there, according to Maps... blue bird bistro on the West Side, on Summit. This happened around 2005. I'm glad to see they've gotten their act together.
    “Assuredly it is a great accomplishment to be a novelist, but it is no mediocre glory to be a cook.” -- Alexandre Dumas

"I give you Chicago. It is no London and Harvard. It is not Paris and buttermilk. It is American in every chitling and sparerib. It is alive from tail to snout." -- H.L. Mencken
  • Post #13 - January 24th, 2023, 8:48 am
    Post #13 - January 24th, 2023, 8:48 am Post #13 - January 24th, 2023, 8:48 am
    Happened to me once in S.Fla. I pointed it out to the waiter who took my plate back to the kitchen. Comes back a few mins later and accuses me of putting the roach on it. I say this is crazy and ask for my check which they bring but do not adjust. I say I won't pay for that item and they call the police, who tell me they'll arrest me for theft of services if I don't pay the entire bill.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #14 - January 25th, 2023, 2:01 pm
    Post #14 - January 25th, 2023, 2:01 pm Post #14 - January 25th, 2023, 2:01 pm
    Decades ago I had lunch in the Chinese diner that was on the SW corner of Cermak and Wentworth. I needed comfort food and ordered egg fu young. Ate half of it, took the leftovers home.

Next day, as I was reheating the egg fu patty, I saw the roach seared into the top of the patty. I threw the food out and pondered the likelihood that I had ingested some extra protein the day before.

I don't care how many businesses have come and gone from that location since the early '80s, but I can assure you I will never set foot in that location again.

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide