LTH Home

The Great British Baking Show - NO SPOILERS, PLEASE

The Great British Baking Show - NO SPOILERS, PLEASE
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 6 of 6 
  • Post #151 - October 13th, 2022, 4:22 pm
    Post #151 - October 13th, 2022, 4:22 pm Post #151 - October 13th, 2022, 4:22 pm
    JoelF wrote:I was surprised how few of the contestants knew about tacos and tortillas. Sure it's ubiquitous here, but there are a couple of chains in London (tried it there, wasn't impressed, but it was decent). The need to make refried beans from scratch was very odd. I also have to wonder how spicy is too spicy for Paul & Prue?

And how is griddling tortillas baking? That was a very odd technical challenge.

Lastly, I have never seen a layered or decorated tres leches cake. I'm surprised nobody's dissolved its own weight.

Agree totally with your and Cathy's comments on this. Amusing in our household is that the kids are now grinningly asking for "tack-ohs," "gwack-a-moll" and "coriander" in quaint Received Pronunciation. "Whore-chat-ta" was also pretty good.

(Also loved that Noel couldn't decide on "tray laysh," "tredz ledzes," or "tresh leshes" when he normally has a pretty good ear for these terms. Also, the under-tent camera HDR effects + filters are a whole new level this year, to the point where folks of Noel and Rebs' complexions looked like varyingly like Mysterio or Polar Express snowdrifts in that last episode).
  • Post #152 - October 23rd, 2022, 10:24 pm
    Post #152 - October 23rd, 2022, 10:24 pm Post #152 - October 23rd, 2022, 10:24 pm
    It is Halloween week!

You will love this week's technical challenge: S'mores. Of course, it is chefied, so it is different than we would expect. There is a mention of Americans in a funny context, too.

In the showstopper challenge, Prue offers a unique pronounciation of a commonly known Mexican word.

I am really enjoying this season.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #153 - December 6th, 2022, 11:43 pm
    Post #153 - December 6th, 2022, 11:43 pm Post #153 - December 6th, 2022, 11:43 pm
    Matt Lucas’s Time on ‘Great British Bake Off’ Is Cooked
    This is a good thing.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #154 - December 6th, 2022, 11:52 pm
    Post #154 - December 6th, 2022, 11:52 pm Post #154 - December 6th, 2022, 11:52 pm

Saw this news earlier. I kind of disagree with you. I didn't love him at first but he grew on me and I especially appreciated his rapport with Noel.

For me, the show itself is losing steam but Matt made me chuckle out loud a few times during the most recent season. That said, I'm looking forward to seeing who they bring in next.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #155 - December 7th, 2022, 12:43 am
    Post #155 - December 7th, 2022, 12:43 am Post #155 - December 7th, 2022, 12:43 am
    I just did not dig his humor.

It became evident his co-workers were not thrilled with his antics. I had a sense if he did not find a saving face exit, he would have an ugly public firing.

In the series wayback machine, there were brief educational segways. Learning something new about English culinary techniques and history is right up my alley. I would love this aspect to return.

Someone recalled the tent moved to different locations early in the series. I don't recall this, though I will keep an eye out whenever I next see a rerun.

I have a stupid ritual when I watch this series. Whenever they declare the star baker, I shout out my name. When they are on the cusp of declaring who is about to go home, I shout out my name. It probably annoys my family, but I enjoy it. "The thrill of victory or the agony of defeat!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv368yWOSas

Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #156 - December 13th, 2022, 1:06 am
    Post #156 - December 13th, 2022, 1:06 am Post #156 - December 13th, 2022, 1:06 am
    Hi- I just found out that the Great American Baking Show is going to premiere on Roku channel sometime in 2023. The judges are Paul Hollywood and Prue, and it is filmed in the UK. Also currently on the Roku channel they have a celebrity chef holiday version of the show. It looks like most of the shows on the Roku channel are free. I tried to see if this show is free, and you have to sign up for an account to see anything on the website. I am not sure if I can access the Roku channel on my tv or not.
  • Post #157 - December 13th, 2022, 1:09 am
    Post #157 - December 13th, 2022, 1:09 am Post #157 - December 13th, 2022, 1:09 am
    I just discovered that the Great British Baking Show is titled the Great British Bakeoff in the UK. They can not use that title in the US and Canada, because Pillsbury has a patent on bakeoff.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more