LTH Home

We Eat Jelly Donuts on Hanukkah?

We Eat Jelly Donuts on Hanukkah?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • We Eat Jelly Donuts on Hanukkah?

Post #1 - December 7th, 2023, 4:05 pm
    Post #1 - December 7th, 2023, 4:05 pm Post #1 - December 7th, 2023, 4:05 pm
    Am I the only Jew in Chicago that never heard of eating jelly donuts on Hanukkah? There was an article in the Eater that peaked my interest because I never heard of it.

"Where to Snag Sweet Sufganiyot for Hanukkah in Chicago"
    https://chicago.eater.com/2023/12/7/239 ... il-chicago

Searching the internet I found this.

"Food historian Gil Marks wrote that the first recipe for the jelly donut was found in 1485, in a cookbook printed in Nuremberg, Germany, called the Kuchenmeisterei (Mastery of the Kitchen) — one of the first to be printed on Johannes Gutenberg’s printing press. The original donut recipe didn’t have a hole, but rather was a pillowy pocket of dough, filled with jam. The recipe instructed bakers to make a jam “sandwich” with two circular pieces of dough, to be fried in lard."

"In Israel…ponchiks soon took the name sufganiyah (sufganiyot plural), from a “spongy dough”mentioned in the Talmud, sofgan and sfogga. The word sphog, meaning “sponge,” is so ancient that there is a question as to whether it was initially of Semitic or Indo-European origin."

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/the-no ... -hanukkah/
  • Post #2 - December 8th, 2023, 12:41 pm
    Post #2 - December 8th, 2023, 12:41 pm Post #2 - December 8th, 2023, 12:41 pm
    Have always had sufganiyot and latkes at our family hannukah parties.
  • Post #3 - December 8th, 2023, 3:11 pm
    Post #3 - December 8th, 2023, 3:11 pm Post #3 - December 8th, 2023, 3:11 pm
    AaronSinger wrote:Have always had sufganiyot and latkes at our family hannukah parties.

Interesting, I don't know, maybe I didn't like them and blocked them out, but I for sure never heard of a sufganiyot, and I am pretty sure we never had jelly donuts. My childhood memories are of latkes with applesauce, brisket, chocolate coins and tons of cookies.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more