LTH Home

Kevin Pang

Kevin Pang
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - December 2nd, 2021, 4:03 pm
    Post #31 - December 2nd, 2021, 4:03 pm Post #31 - December 2nd, 2021, 4:03 pm
    Plus he has a new YouTube show from ATK Hunger Pangs. With his dad as cohost.
    https://youtu.be/9aLBaLiNqaY

Kevin Pang, count me a fan !!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #32 - December 3rd, 2021, 8:17 am
    Post #32 - December 3rd, 2021, 8:17 am Post #32 - December 3rd, 2021, 8:17 am
    This has stuck in my head for years. Kevin's parents were creating cooking videos to teach their children their family favorites. I was impressed.
    Cathy2 wrote:Kevin Pang is good enough for the New York Times:

My Father, the YouTube Star

“Why?” I asked during one of our weekly phone conversations. “Do you want a show on the Food Network or something?”

“You really want to know?” my dad asked in Chinese. “Your mom’s great-grandmother used to cook amazing Shanghainese food for her. She would dream about it. But when your mom was finally old enough to ask for the recipes, her great-grandmother had already developed dementia. She couldn’t even remember cooking those dishes. The only thing your mom had left was the memory of her taste. We’re afraid that if you wanted to eat your childhood dishes, and one day we’re both no longer around, you wouldn’t know how to cook it.”

This is pretty much why I encourage the Family Heirloom Recipe contest at State Fairs.

Excellent read!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #33 - December 7th, 2021, 12:48 pm
    Post #33 - December 7th, 2021, 12:48 pm Post #33 - December 7th, 2021, 12:48 pm
    Huge fan too. Thanks for all the updates!
  • Post #34 - April 9th, 2024, 10:06 am
    Post #34 - April 9th, 2024, 10:06 am Post #34 - April 9th, 2024, 10:06 am
    I’ve gifted this article. It’s co-written by Pang.
    The 25 Best Restaurants in Chicago Right Now

We scouted the city’s vast food scene, from stellar hot dogs and renowned Italian beefs to refined tasting menus. (And we’re here for your comments.).

https://www.nytimes.com/article/best-re ... ticleShare
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #35 - April 9th, 2024, 10:59 am
    Post #35 - April 9th, 2024, 10:59 am Post #35 - April 9th, 2024, 10:59 am
    Dave148 wrote:I’ve gifted this article. It’s co-written by Pang.
    The 25 Best Restaurants in Chicago Right Now

We scouted the city’s vast food scene, from stellar hot dogs and renowned Italian beefs to refined tasting menus. (And we’re here for your comments.).

https://www.nytimes.com/article/best-re ... ticleShare

You beat me to it, Dave. Some interesting and solid choices, I think. :)

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #36 - April 9th, 2024, 11:14 am
    Post #36 - April 9th, 2024, 11:14 am Post #36 - April 9th, 2024, 11:14 am
    Pang’s list….looks like it was gleaned from yelp, Chicago magazine and eater. Lol.
  • Post #37 - April 9th, 2024, 11:27 am
    Post #37 - April 9th, 2024, 11:27 am Post #37 - April 9th, 2024, 11:27 am
    jimswside wrote:Pang’s list….looks like it was gleaned from yelp, Chicago magazine and eater. Lol.

Doubtful, at best. Pang spent years at. the Tribune, and knows Chicago food as well as anyone. His series with his Dad, Hunger Pangs, is surprisingly entertaining. He's a lively guy, and signed for us a copy of his new cookbook, A Very Chinese Cookbook: 100 Recipes from China and Not China (But Still Really Chinese).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84Cgs-3 ... 9-j_RRXAdL
  • Post #38 - April 9th, 2024, 11:31 am
    Post #38 - April 9th, 2024, 11:31 am Post #38 - April 9th, 2024, 11:31 am
    nr706 wrote:
    jimswside wrote:Pang’s list….looks like it was gleaned from yelp, Chicago magazine and eater. Lol.

Doubtful, at best. Pang spent years at. the Tribune, and knows Chicago food as well as anyone. His series with his Dad, Hunger Pangs, is surprisingly entertaining. He's a lively guy, and signed for us a copy of his new cookbook, A Very Chinese Cookbook: 100 Recipes from China and Not China (But Still Really Chinese).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84Cgs-3 ... 9-j_RRXAdL

I agree. The list may lean heavily mainstream but there's very little doubt it's all his.

=R=
  • Post #39 - April 9th, 2024, 11:50 am
    Post #39 - April 9th, 2024, 11:50 am Post #39 - April 9th, 2024, 11:50 am
    Reading comprehension,,, I said his list “looked like” it was pulled from any mainstream source available.. . Lighten up. lol.
  • Post #40 - April 9th, 2024, 11:52 am
    Post #40 - April 9th, 2024, 11:52 am Post #40 - April 9th, 2024, 11:52 am
    jimswside wrote:Reading comprehension,,, I said his list “looked like” it was pulled from any mainstream source available.. . Lighten up. lol.

We all can't be as enlightened as you, lol! :lol:

=R=
  • Post #41 - April 9th, 2024, 12:50 pm
    Post #41 - April 9th, 2024, 12:50 pm Post #41 - April 9th, 2024, 12:50 pm
    The entry on Uncle John’s Bar-B-Que says hot links and rib tips "get cooked inside a plexiglass aquarium smoker." That can't be right, can it? Surely aquarium smokers are made of glass, not plexiglass? Plexiglass softens at not much more than 200 deg F and melts in the mid 300s F. Slow smoking may occur below 200 deg F, but for the sake of cost if nothing else, plexiglass seems infeasible. Unless, I suppose, you're repurposing an actual plexiglass fish aquarium.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #42 - April 10th, 2024, 8:02 am
    Post #42 - April 10th, 2024, 8:02 am Post #42 - April 10th, 2024, 8:02 am
    From that NY Times article: "Chicagoans eat deep-dish pizza only on special occasions."

Disappointing to see Pang regurgitate one of the most ridiculous and demonstrably wrong arguments about Chicago food.

"Hey guys, let's get pizza tonight but because we're celebrating, let's have deep dish instead of thin crust." - A sentence that's never been uttered by anyone in history.
  • Post #43 - April 10th, 2024, 8:14 am
    Post #43 - April 10th, 2024, 8:14 am Post #43 - April 10th, 2024, 8:14 am
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:From that NY Times article: "Chicagoans eat deep-dish pizza only on special occasions."

Disappointing to see Pang regurgitate one of the most ridiculous and demonstrably wrong arguments about Chicago food.

"Hey guys, let's get pizza tonight but because we're celebrating, let's have deep dish instead of thin crust." - A sentence that's never been uttered by anyone in history.

LMAO! I think you're right about that.

=R=
  • Post #44 - April 10th, 2024, 6:58 pm
    Post #44 - April 10th, 2024, 6:58 pm Post #44 - April 10th, 2024, 6:58 pm
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:From that NY Times article: "Chicagoans eat deep-dish pizza only on special occasions."

I was talking to friends and I equated deep dish to a steakhouse. It's something I rarely choose, but always am satisfied when I partake.
  • Post #45 - April 12th, 2024, 11:18 am
    Post #45 - April 12th, 2024, 11:18 am Post #45 - April 12th, 2024, 11:18 am

I agree that 1) that's the way K-Pang's quote makes it seem and 2) few 2024 Chicagoland households make pizza decisions on that rubric.

If one were to be maximally charitable, I do think:

- on the specific special occasion where out-of-town (or country) guests are coming in and expect deep dish, we make it happen. All part of the Malnati-tourism-congressional complex.

- for southern Italian families, eating thick layered cheese in pastry or pasta for Easter and sometimes Christmas was and is a thing (timballo, timpano, scarcedda, scarcella, bomba). I don't think Ike or Rudy necessarily had this in mind when first dishing it up for the masses, but some families I know have deep dish on the menu for holidays because great-grandma gave up making the bomba once arthritis set in, and they've just done it that way ever since.
  • Post #46 - April 12th, 2024, 1:15 pm
    Post #46 - April 12th, 2024, 1:15 pm Post #46 - April 12th, 2024, 1:15 pm
    We hear this Chicagoans-hardly-ever-eat-deep-dish thing all the time, but it just isn't believable (to me, anyway) that selling a product that people only want on celebratory occasions is a viable (and highly successful long-term) business model. I remember hearing Steve Dolinsky make this claim right to Mark Malnati's face (I mean, voice) in a podcast interview, and I so wanted to hear Malnati reply, well, we haven't done so well in business for more than 50 years by only selling to tourists and people who order for a few birthdays a year.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #47 - April 12th, 2024, 5:47 pm
    Post #47 - April 12th, 2024, 5:47 pm Post #47 - April 12th, 2024, 5:47 pm
    If you look closely at the article's byline, you'll see it's a collaborative effort with Kevin Pang as the lead writer, along with input from Priya Krishna and Brian Gallagher. So, the comments about Chicagoans eating Chicago Style Pizza, true or false, may not even be his.

Buddy
  • Post #48 - April 12th, 2024, 8:52 pm
    Post #48 - April 12th, 2024, 8:52 pm Post #48 - April 12th, 2024, 8:52 pm
    Chicagoans eat deep-dish pizza only on special occasions. The more frequent choice is tavern-style, a thin-crust pie typically topped with sausage and a dash of oregano, then cut into squares. Tavern-style pizzerias tend to be family-run, with recipes that stay unchanged over many decades. At Kim’s Uncle Pizza, three young pizza entrepreneurs opted to tackle tavern pies, applying modern and unconventional techniques like fermenting the dough for a whole week. The result? The Platonic ideal of Chicago tavern-style pizza: crackly crust throughout (even the center squares), deeply flavorful tomato sauce, juicy nubs of spiced Italian sausage.

This quote is from the story about Kim's Uncle Pizza. The end of each restaurant's story is signed, in this case by Kevin Pang.

I suspect that the second sentence is more accurate than the first. My view may be twisted by the fact that I could handle deep dish easily in my early 30s but had trouble digesting it by my early 80s.
  • Post #49 - April 14th, 2024, 8:08 am
    Post #49 - April 14th, 2024, 8:08 am Post #49 - April 14th, 2024, 8:08 am
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote:If you look closely at the article's byline, you'll see it's a collaborative effort with Kevin Pang as the lead writer, along with input from Priya Krishna and Brian Gallagher. So, the comments about Chicagoans eating Chicago Style Pizza, true or false, may not even be his.

Buddy

I know that you are attempting to be charitable, but if I attached my name (especially as the lead writer) to an article I would make sure that the finished work accurately reflected my views.
    "Goldie, how many times have I told you guys that I don't want no horsin' around on the airplane?"
  • Post #50 - April 14th, 2024, 11:24 am
    Post #50 - April 14th, 2024, 11:24 am Post #50 - April 14th, 2024, 11:24 am
    cito wrote:
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote:If you look closely at the article's byline, you'll see it's a collaborative effort with Kevin Pang as the lead writer, along with input from Priya Krishna and Brian Gallagher. So, the comments about Chicagoans eating Chicago Style Pizza, true or false, may not even be his.

Buddy

I know that you are attempting to be charitable, but if I attached my name (especially as the lead writer) to an article I would make sure that the finished work accurately reflected my views.

Well, now you're the one being charitable. Although I did read the article, I didn't notice the author's signature after each review, and then made my comments without double checking for any specific attribution.

In other words, I deserved ekreider's slap down (also charitable in that they didn't visibly quote my post, or call me out by name) and admit my error. Costs me nothing and preserves what little credibility I may have on the forum.

So there. How ya like me now, LTH?

Buddy
  • Post #51 - April 14th, 2024, 12:07 pm
    Post #51 - April 14th, 2024, 12:07 pm Post #51 - April 14th, 2024, 12:07 pm
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote:So there. How ya like me now, LTH?

LOL - your mea culpa was way too big for the situation! :lol:

=R=
  • Post #52 - April 14th, 2024, 12:52 pm
    Post #52 - April 14th, 2024, 12:52 pm Post #52 - April 14th, 2024, 12:52 pm
    When was the last time you saw a BuddyRoadhouse declaration that was understated?

Buddy
  • Post #53 - April 14th, 2024, 12:58 pm
    Post #53 - April 14th, 2024, 12:58 pm Post #53 - April 14th, 2024, 12:58 pm
    Now we just need Pang to issue a correction and all will be complete. Well, he should also apologize for including Tortas Frontera in the list of 25 best restaurants in Chicago, though I doubt that's forthcoming. Someone called him out in the comments and he responded:

Phoebe
    Chicago, IL
    April 9
    Chicago resident here! Really disappointed in this list. Maybe it seemed fun or funny to include an option in O'Hare, but I think it does a disservice to the wonderful restaurants that were not—for some reason—included here. For anyone who doesn't live in Chicago, the city has a fabulous food scene outside the airport.

Kevin Pang
    Contributor
    April 9
    @Phoebe The inclusion of a place at O’Hare isn’t meant to say you should drive to the airport just to eat there. To me, a great restaurant experience can be about exceeding expectations. When you arrive at the airport at 7 a.m. and there are limited options, seeing a beautifully crisp torta of eggs and rajas can be a very good thing.

I don't mean to dump on Pang, who I think was the best writer in the Tribune food section in at least the last couple of decades and a great choice for the NY Times to rely on for Chicago opinions/content. But, as respectfully as possible, I think the line on pizza and any argument that Tortas Frontera belongs on a list of the 25 best restaurants in Chicago are bulldoodoo.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more