LTH Home

Cookbook discussion: Help me find a couple . . .

Cookbook discussion: Help me find a couple . . .
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - December 21st, 2016, 8:47 am
    Post #31 - December 21st, 2016, 8:47 am Post #31 - December 21st, 2016, 8:47 am
    It may be basic, but depending on who you're shopping for, I really like the Gourmet cookbook. The only thing I don't like about it is why did they use the stupid yellow font for the names of the recipes??
    It's so hard to read.
    Also for someone just starting out I simply love the old Better Homes and Gardens Standard cookbook.
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #32 - December 22nd, 2016, 8:43 am
    Post #32 - December 22nd, 2016, 8:43 am Post #32 - December 22nd, 2016, 8:43 am
    irisarbor wrote:It may be basic, but depending on who you're shopping for, I really like the Gourmet cookbook.

I don't consider it that "basic" -- there are some very interesting recipes, such as a beef wellington using a cilantro/walnut pesto instead of pate. It's a great book, and if I'm looking for a recipe as a base for improv, it's one of my go-tos, along with the Joy. I use their blue cheese (and others) dressing, their soups and stews, etc.
    There's also a Gourmet Today volume with a green jacket. It's got more "modern" and ethnic food, but I don't find it quite as valuable. ISBN 978-0618610181, the original is 978-0618806928.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #33 - December 22nd, 2016, 9:48 am
    Post #33 - December 22nd, 2016, 9:48 am Post #33 - December 22nd, 2016, 9:48 am
    We have had The Adventures of Fat Rice now in the house for about a month and despite the fact that everything in it looks wonderful, we have not gotten around to cooking anything from it yet. The recipes in the book are very involved and time consuming and build upon one another. I would almost be willing to pay someone to cook some of these dishes for me. Oh,wait.
    "I live on good soup, not on fine words." -Moliere
  • Post #34 - December 22nd, 2016, 11:15 am
    Post #34 - December 22nd, 2016, 11:15 am Post #34 - December 22nd, 2016, 11:15 am
    I was unimpressed with the Fat Rice book. I never found the restaurant particularly good despite a very intriguing menu. I was hoping with the book I could take their ideas and execute them better for my predilections. The book has some delicious sounding dishes, but like many restaurant cookbooks (Mission Chinese comes to mind) presents an overly fussy version. I suspect you could get 90% as good with a lot less effort especially since most things are clearly analogous to staple dishes of the cuisine.

My recommendations:
    Latin - Gran Cocina Latina
    Culinary Mexico
    (Maybe an older Bayless book)

Chinese - All Under Heaven
    Phoenix Claws
    Fuchsia Dunlop's Sichuan cookbook

Thai - David Thompson's Thai Food (all you really need)

Mediterranean - Anything by Paula Wolfert
    Ottolenghi should do a greatest hits. I think his prolificity has caused inconsistency

Indian - 660 Curries

American - Real Cajun, My New Orleans

Ice Cream - Perfect Scoop. I also like Jeni's book for ideas, but not a fan of cream cheese base.

Dessert Baking - I go to Rose Levy Beranbaum, Alice Medrich and Dorie Greenspan. I also like Dianna Chang's books. I haven't found a pie book I would highly recommend.

Bread - Peter Reinhart book or Hamelman's bread
  • Post #35 - December 22nd, 2016, 11:49 am
    Post #35 - December 22nd, 2016, 11:49 am Post #35 - December 22nd, 2016, 11:49 am
    I second many of these recommendations--Kenji's book, the Ollenghetti's. I'd add World Vegetarian by Madhur Jaffrey. It was my go to when I got strange vegetables in the CSA and also solid for new ideas on things like green beans. She usually has 5-6 variations for each vegetable and I haven't hit a bad recipe yet.

I also love the Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan. She's so opinionated that the prose is occasionally laugh out loud funny. But I turn to it often have had good results.
  • Post #36 - December 22nd, 2016, 11:11 pm
    Post #36 - December 22nd, 2016, 11:11 pm Post #36 - December 22nd, 2016, 11:11 pm
    On the Thai front, Thompson is short on street food, such as pad see-ew. It's definitely an awesome book, but I'd supplement it with Simple Thai Food by Leela Punyaratabandhu aka SheSimmers.The recipes are very approachable, nice suggestions for substitutions, but not dumbed down. And less scary in its quantities of coconut cream.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #37 - December 25th, 2016, 11:46 am
    Post #37 - December 25th, 2016, 11:46 am Post #37 - December 25th, 2016, 11:46 am
    eatchicago wrote:Also, the perennial classic "The Joy of Cooking" has reference and recipes for practically everything. From mother sauces to quick breads to marshmallows to roasts, it's got a good base recipe for practically everything. It was the first cookbook I ever owned and it is well-worn today.

There's an article about the new version in today's NYTimes.

Best,
    Michael

EDIT: I just realized I missed your last sentence in the original post. I kinda like the 1997 version although it was much criticized. The NYT article I linked to reviews the new version.

I am actually using my JOC from the late 80's early 90's ( copyright 1975) to make short ribs today. I actually love that they still have how to dress a possum in the book.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #38 - September 11th, 2019, 3:52 am
    Post #38 - September 11th, 2019, 3:52 am Post #38 - September 11th, 2019, 3:52 am
    There’s a new ‘Joy of Cooking’ coming out in November.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #39 - September 11th, 2019, 1:37 pm
    Post #39 - September 11th, 2019, 1:37 pm Post #39 - September 11th, 2019, 1:37 pm
    I have the 1975 (6th) edition of Joy of Cooking too, and I think it's the edition most worth buying if you can find it.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #40 - October 31st, 2020, 8:26 pm
    Post #40 - October 31st, 2020, 8:26 pm Post #40 - October 31st, 2020, 8:26 pm
    Hi- I am considering purchasing the Food Lab, which is on sale for $20 at Amazon right now, but are there any similar books like Salt, Fat, Acid and Heat or some of the cooking science books put out by Harold McGee or Cook's Illustrated that people would recommend instead? Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #41 - November 1st, 2020, 9:29 am
    Post #41 - November 1st, 2020, 9:29 am Post #41 - November 1st, 2020, 9:29 am
    NFriday wrote:Hi- I am considering purchasing the Food Lab, which is on sale for $20 at Amazon right now, but are there any similar books like Salt, Fat, Acid and Heat or some of the cooking science books put out by Harold McGee or Cook's Illustrated that people would recommend instead? Thanks, Nancy

Thanks for the heads up on this sale price. I’m a huge fan of Kenji’s work and have given this book as a gift, but never bought a copy myself. Can’t pass up this price. Just ordered.
  • Post #42 - November 1st, 2020, 11:13 am
    Post #42 - November 1st, 2020, 11:13 am Post #42 - November 1st, 2020, 11:13 am
    NFriday wrote:Hi- I am considering purchasing the Food Lab, which is on sale for $20 at Amazon right now, but are there any similar books like Salt, Fat, Acid and Heat or some of the cooking science books put out by Harold McGee or Cook's Illustrated that people would recommend instead? Thanks, Nancy

Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat is a great book—a few others I’ve been using lately are Ottolenghi’s Jerusalem & Plenty books, Kimball’s Milk Street and the Lee Bros, Charleston Kitchen. No idea if they’re in the sale. And I’ll also throw in a plug for the Reader Recipes book, that includes recipes from a lot of folks well known to this board.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #43 - November 1st, 2020, 11:56 am
    Post #43 - November 1st, 2020, 11:56 am Post #43 - November 1st, 2020, 11:56 am
    Hi,

I would get Food Lab, because Kenji comes from the Cook's Illustrated-Kimball background. To get a sense of style just find one of his recipes on SeriousEats.com. I love the detail Kenji offers on why he chose one method over another. Far more information than Cook's Illustrated, though composition space on the internet is cheap. If you don't like his style, then you saved yourself time and money.

Ottolenghi is great, though your tastes should lean toward Middle Eastern food. If you don't, it is a waste of money. Believe me, I am a fan. His book Plenty is available online via Hoopla, if your library subscribes.

The Lee Brother's are American South oriented.

Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat - love learning more about the chemistry and physics of preparing food. This I might borrow from the library first, to see if I really need it or a read will do. Or I might google the title to find blog posts with information and recipes.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #44 - November 1st, 2020, 2:13 pm
    Post #44 - November 1st, 2020, 2:13 pm Post #44 - November 1st, 2020, 2:13 pm
    I love middle eastern food. Food Lab is on the best seller list on Amazon, and it must be because it is such a good deal. If it was not on the list, I wouldn't have noticed how cheap it was.

I am doing a six month online market research thing on COVID and how it has affected me. I get a $50 Amazon gift card once a month for answering the questions they send me, and so I have lots of money to spend in my Amazon account.

I was supposed to work for the Census, but after the pandemic hit, I decided I did not feel comfortable going door to door.
  • Post #45 - November 2nd, 2020, 1:34 pm
    Post #45 - November 2nd, 2020, 1:34 pm Post #45 - November 2nd, 2020, 1:34 pm
    Hi- I don't know if there are any Dungeon and Dragons fans here, but there is an official D&D cookbook that just came out that has great reviews on Amazon, and is 57% off.

https://www.amazon.com/Heroes-Feast-Off ... PGWZMWH3WC
  • Post #46 - November 2nd, 2020, 9:49 pm
    Post #46 - November 2nd, 2020, 9:49 pm Post #46 - November 2nd, 2020, 9:49 pm
    Hi- Ottolenghi Flavor is on sale at Amazon right now for $14.99.

https://www.amazon.com/Ottolenghi-Flavo ... 8&qid=&sr=

This is his latest cookbook.
  • Post #47 - November 3rd, 2020, 9:39 am
    Post #47 - November 3rd, 2020, 9:39 am Post #47 - November 3rd, 2020, 9:39 am
    I know that not everyone can afford make this choice, but I'd like to insert a plug for independent bookstores that were struggling to stay alive before COVID and now need every lifeline they can get. Amazon's had one of their best quarters ever and won't miss the sale but the neighborhood bookseller will.
    "There’s only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk, which is water that’s lying about being milk."
    - Ron Swanson
  • Post #48 - December 17th, 2020, 2:41 pm
    Post #48 - December 17th, 2020, 2:41 pm Post #48 - December 17th, 2020, 2:41 pm
    The 2019 kindle version of Joy of Cooking is currently $3.99 on Amazon right now. You never know how long it is going to be that cheap.
  • Post #49 - June 15th, 2021, 4:41 pm
    Post #49 - June 15th, 2021, 4:41 pm Post #49 - June 15th, 2021, 4:41 pm
    Hi- Skinnytaste Meal Prep, and Jacques Pepin Quick and Simple are on sale at Amazon right now. Skinnytaste is $12.00 right now, and Quick and Simple is $13.69. Amazon is also having a book sale right now and a bunch of their books are buy three books for the price of two. Amazon Prime day is coming up 6/21-6/22 too.

I don't know how many Skinnytaste fans we have here, but on several Facebook groups that I belong to there are people that love the Skinnytaste blog and books.
  • Post #50 - February 7th, 2022, 2:07 am
    Post #50 - February 7th, 2022, 2:07 am Post #50 - February 7th, 2022, 2:07 am
    Hi- Amazon currently has a buy three books for the price of two deal and they have tons of cookbooks on the list, including quite a few America's Test Kitchen books, and the Food Lab. BTW-Kenji is coming out with a new book next month about woks.
  • Post #51 - May 29th, 2022, 6:22 pm
    Post #51 - May 29th, 2022, 6:22 pm Post #51 - May 29th, 2022, 6:22 pm
    I’ve worked my way through enough of this cookbook that I feel confident recommending it: Half Baked Harvest Super Simple by Tieghan Gerard.

It checks all the boxes for me - nicely arranged, beautiful photos, relatively simple with most recipes do-able on a week night, accessible ingredients, well-seasoned & flavorful end results.

The “One-Pot Creamed Corn Bucatini” was a huge hit last summer with farmer’s market corn. Other winners with the family have been Grown-Up Tomato Parmesan Pasta, Spaghetti Squash Alfredo, 15-Minute Garlic Butter Ramen, Mushroom “Cheese-Steaks”, Curried Thai Spring Roll Lettuce Wraps, Greek Salmon and Zucchini with Salty Feta, and the dish I made last night - Jerk Shrimp and Mango Salsa Rice Bowls.

So many cookbooks with (or without) lovely photos disappoint. This one has not.
  • Post #52 - July 16th, 2022, 4:59 pm
    Post #52 - July 16th, 2022, 4:59 pm Post #52 - July 16th, 2022, 4:59 pm
    Hi- ATK currently has some of their cookbooks on sale for what it costs to print them, plus free shipping. I think tomorrow is the last day for the sale. All of the cookbooks are on sale for $13.99-$14.99. I am considering getting the Complete Mediterranean Cookbook and Foolproof Fish. They also have five other cookbooks on sale, including a salad cookbook, a gut health one, The complete Plant Based cookbook, The Savory Baker, and a gluten free one. Here is the link.
    https://shop.americastestkitchen.com/sh ... -sale.html

They also have a few other cookbooks on sale too, but not as cheap. Usually you have to purchase $40 worth of stuff to get free shipping. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #53 - July 18th, 2022, 7:49 am
    Post #53 - July 18th, 2022, 7:49 am Post #53 - July 18th, 2022, 7:49 am
    The book sale is still going on at ATK. I just ordered The Complete Mediterranean Cookbook and Foolproof Fish.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more