LTH Home

You know you're an LTHer when . . .

You know you're an LTHer when . . .
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 17
  • Post #31 - April 12th, 2007, 11:52 pm
    Post #31 - April 12th, 2007, 11:52 pm Post #31 - April 12th, 2007, 11:52 pm
    You are in a restaurant, eating, and people come in, eat and finish and leave, then new ones come in, eat and finish and leave, and you're still there, eating, eating...
    “Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?”
  • Post #32 - April 13th, 2007, 6:22 am
    Post #32 - April 13th, 2007, 6:22 am Post #32 - April 13th, 2007, 6:22 am
    You notice cameras sitting on the next table, assume they are fellow travelers, and are caught unawares when they take pictures of their newborn baby and not the daily special.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

    Low & Slow
  • Post #33 - April 13th, 2007, 7:36 am
    Post #33 - April 13th, 2007, 7:36 am Post #33 - April 13th, 2007, 7:36 am
    ... you are 65 feet under water, and you see this:

    Image

    but you are thinking this:

    Image
    Salt and Pepper Lobster (stolen from GWiv's Silver Seafood post)
  • Post #34 - April 13th, 2007, 8:45 am
    Post #34 - April 13th, 2007, 8:45 am Post #34 - April 13th, 2007, 8:45 am
    A fellow LTHer posts this
    CrazyC wrote:... you are 65 feet under water, and you see this:

    Image


    And you just have to ask, "So how much did it weigh?" :twisted:
  • Post #35 - April 13th, 2007, 10:06 am
    Post #35 - April 13th, 2007, 10:06 am Post #35 - April 13th, 2007, 10:06 am
    sazerac wrote:A fellow LTHer posts this
    CrazyC wrote:... you are 65 feet under water, and you see this:

    Image


    And you just have to ask, "So how much did it weigh?" :twisted:


    It was about 12-16 inches long. Too bad we aren't allowed to take them home... :twisted:

    Now the nurse shark we saw on the other hand was about 6-8 feet long... and pregnant!
  • Post #36 - April 23rd, 2007, 7:56 am
    Post #36 - April 23rd, 2007, 7:56 am Post #36 - April 23rd, 2007, 7:56 am
    HI,

    Your digital camera is just as handy as your cellphone while driving, though you won't get a ticket while using your camera in traffic.

    Documenting restaurants to look up later:
    Image

    Documenting a restaurant that is on the offing or possibly shuttered:
    Image

    Regards,
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #37 - April 23rd, 2007, 3:21 pm
    Post #37 - April 23rd, 2007, 3:21 pm Post #37 - April 23rd, 2007, 3:21 pm
    1. You order that damn salt sampler that Gleam just had to post on above-all the while realizing that you're paying through the nose for blood-pressure raising sodium shards in assorted natural flavors.
    2. You slam down a whole pint of Haagen Dazs German chocolate cake ice cream to make sure that the coconut, cakey substance, and caramel goo is evenly distributed throughout. (Still trying to figure out who's post is responsible for this one, but when I do...)
    I love animals...they're delicious!
  • Post #38 - April 26th, 2007, 8:14 pm
    Post #38 - April 26th, 2007, 8:14 pm Post #38 - April 26th, 2007, 8:14 pm
    You watch this
    Bridgestone wrote: (for reference see: Eddie Murphy’s “McDonalds” from Raw

    and are overcome by sudden, explosive anger at Eddie Murphy's younger self, and are grateful you aren't cooking anything for anyone at the moment.

    You then wonder if your own burger could be improved by big chunks of pepper...
  • Post #39 - April 27th, 2007, 7:28 am
    Post #39 - April 27th, 2007, 7:28 am Post #39 - April 27th, 2007, 7:28 am
    You feel like your day hasn't really started until you've written your first post.

    You think: "A day without LTH is like a day without sunshine." And that's after you've had your OJ.
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #40 - April 28th, 2007, 9:07 am
    Post #40 - April 28th, 2007, 9:07 am Post #40 - April 28th, 2007, 9:07 am
    OK, first--no, make that second--post of the day:

    You know you are an LTH-er when you wake up from a dream in which you are debating with Cathy2 and eatchicago about the proper use of emoticons.

    "Emoticons: Do They Have A Legitimate Place in Our Discourse, or Are They Just Cheap Tools for the Inarticulate?"

    (Me, I like 'em even though they are cheesy ':oops:'':)')
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #41 - April 28th, 2007, 9:18 am
    Post #41 - April 28th, 2007, 9:18 am Post #41 - April 28th, 2007, 9:18 am
    You guzzle 20 teaspoons of granulated sugar dissolved in 12 oz of tap water to disprove an old wive's tale (or to settle an argument), and photograph yourself doing it.

    http://lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=11037
  • Post #42 - April 28th, 2007, 1:19 pm
    Post #42 - April 28th, 2007, 1:19 pm Post #42 - April 28th, 2007, 1:19 pm
    You make a meal which is a summary of the previous week's LTH active threads...

    [1]
    [2]
    [3]
    Joe G.

    "Whatever may be wrong with the world, at least it has some good things to eat." -- Cowboy Jack Clement
  • Post #43 - April 28th, 2007, 1:26 pm
    Post #43 - April 28th, 2007, 1:26 pm Post #43 - April 28th, 2007, 1:26 pm
    Josephine wrote:OK, first--no, make that second--post of the day:

    You know you are an LTH-er when you wake up from a dream in which you are debating with Cathy2 and eatchicago about the proper use of emoticons.

    "Emoticons: Do They Have A Legitimate Place in Our Discourse, or Are They Just Cheap Tools for the Inarticulate?"

    (Me, I like 'em even though they are cheesy ':oops:'':)')


    What was my opinion on the emoticon argument? I know we have never discussed this, so I am curious if subliminally you happen to know.

    Regards,
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #44 - April 28th, 2007, 4:48 pm
    Post #44 - April 28th, 2007, 4:48 pm Post #44 - April 28th, 2007, 4:48 pm
    You're having lunch at Little Three Happiness by yourself, being served by a waitress you've never seen before, because you've only ever gone for dinner and the last time was a coupla months ago. You order salt and pepper shrimp, shell and head on, extra jalapeno, extra onion, please.

    You go back to looking at your PDA, filled with all the details of yours and fellow lth'ers dining, actively planning your next meal. Drink a little tea; scan the room - couple of Streets and San guys in the room comparing notes. Streets says: "The shrimp toast is the best thing here. Forget the egg rolls." San counters: "Shrimp toast it is. What else we havin'?"

    Heretofore unknown waitress comes out of the kitchen bearing a wonderful plateful of crustaceans and accompanying onions and peppers. She turns to leave as you say "Could I have some of Gary's chili oil, please?" She turns slowly, smiles brightly and says "You're one of those guys, huh? You know, You know."
  • Post #45 - April 28th, 2007, 5:05 pm
    Post #45 - April 28th, 2007, 5:05 pm Post #45 - April 28th, 2007, 5:05 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Josephine wrote:OK, first--no, make that second--post of the day:

    You know you are an LTH-er when you wake up from a dream in which you are debating with Cathy2 and eatchicago about the proper use of emoticons.

    "Emoticons: Do They Have A Legitimate Place in Our Discourse, or Are They Just Cheap Tools for the Inarticulate?"

    (Me, I like 'em even though they are cheesy ':oops:'':)')


    What was my opinion on the emoticon argument? I know we have never discussed this, so I am curious if subliminally you happen to know.


    Cathy, I thought you might ask. . .

    In the dream, you were quite firm in rejecting emoticons, saying that you felt they impoverished the accompanying prose. This I was surprised to hear from you, and I had to protest. You reiterated your stance with some supporting evidence that is now forgotten by me. As for eatchicago, he suggested that the judicious use of the emoticon was all right, but that he felt they were overused in general. For me, the emoticons have a kind of naive, campy appeal that stands in contrast the some of the writing on the board.

    So, Cathy and eatchicago, is my dreaming self in fact aware of your positions on emoticons?
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #46 - April 28th, 2007, 7:24 pm
    Post #46 - April 28th, 2007, 7:24 pm Post #46 - April 28th, 2007, 7:24 pm
    ...when you think nothing of following your hotel breakfast with tastings of middle-eastern spices (Spice House), spicy chicken sausage (Usingers), and vulcan (spicy) cheese curds (the cheese shop on the same corner on Old Third in Milwaukee).
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #47 - April 28th, 2007, 9:10 pm
    Post #47 - April 28th, 2007, 9:10 pm Post #47 - April 28th, 2007, 9:10 pm
    Josephine wrote:Cathy, I thought you might ask. . .

    In the dream, you were quite firm in rejecting emoticons, saying that you felt they impoverished the accompanying prose. This I was surprised to hear from you, and I had to protest. You reiterated your stance with some supporting evidence that is now forgotten by me. As for eatchicago, he suggested that the judicious use of the emoticon was all right, but that he felt they were overused in general. For me, the emoticons have a kind of naive, campy appeal that stands in contrast the some of the writing on the board.

    So, Cathy and eatchicago, is my dreaming self in fact aware of your positions on emoticons?


    You are pretty close to my opinion on emoticons. I use them sparingly when I think I might be mis-understood. Unfortunately our posting here does not always accurately convey my intent, which you might see from my facial expression or twinkle in my eye.

    Thanks again for your explanation!

    Regards,
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #48 - April 30th, 2007, 7:25 am
    Post #48 - April 30th, 2007, 7:25 am Post #48 - April 30th, 2007, 7:25 am
    When your spouse, and I quote past Saturday night," Hey, that guy just took a picture of his food, is he one of your buddies?"
  • Post #49 - May 11th, 2007, 4:37 pm
    Post #49 - May 11th, 2007, 4:37 pm Post #49 - May 11th, 2007, 4:37 pm
    when you get into a minor car accident because you are rubbernecking an intriguing West African restaurant.
    Last edited by comradelaura on May 15th, 2007, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #50 - May 11th, 2007, 4:50 pm
    Post #50 - May 11th, 2007, 4:50 pm Post #50 - May 11th, 2007, 4:50 pm
    when you get into a minor car accident and immediately recognize the person who was driving the other car (at great speed) is the chief pastry chef from a certain four-star restaurant ...
  • Post #51 - May 11th, 2007, 4:54 pm
    Post #51 - May 11th, 2007, 4:54 pm Post #51 - May 11th, 2007, 4:54 pm
    Ah, but were you drinking the pastry chef's root beer at the time?
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

    RIP LTH.
  • Post #52 - May 11th, 2007, 5:05 pm
    Post #52 - May 11th, 2007, 5:05 pm Post #52 - May 11th, 2007, 5:05 pm
    Nope, not her (but the fact that I think I know who you're referring to is probably another reason to know I'm an LTHer).
  • Post #53 - May 11th, 2007, 6:01 pm
    Post #53 - May 11th, 2007, 6:01 pm Post #53 - May 11th, 2007, 6:01 pm
    Darn. And yes, it sure is a sign.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

    RIP LTH.
  • Post #54 - May 11th, 2007, 7:43 pm
    Post #54 - May 11th, 2007, 7:43 pm Post #54 - May 11th, 2007, 7:43 pm
    YKYAALTH'RW...

    you actually care what people here think of you, even though (with two exceptions) they have no idea who you are.
  • Post #55 - May 11th, 2007, 8:29 pm
    Post #55 - May 11th, 2007, 8:29 pm Post #55 - May 11th, 2007, 8:29 pm
    riddlemay wrote:YKYAALTH'RW...

    you actually care what people here think of you, even though (with two exceptions) they have no idea who you are.


    The world is a tiny place. You have a friend who is a member of Illinois Mycological Association, who said her friend posts on LTHforum as riddlemay. We are now at 1-degree of separation.

    :D
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #56 - May 12th, 2007, 6:34 am
    Post #56 - May 12th, 2007, 6:34 am Post #56 - May 12th, 2007, 6:34 am
    Cathy2 wrote:The world is a tiny place. You have a friend who is a member of Illinois Mycological Association, who said her friend posts on LTHforum as riddlemay. We are now at 1-degree of separation.

    :D

    I didn't know my name (or "name") had come up, although I do usually ask her when she talks about the IMA meetings if Cathy2 was there!

    And thanks for the emoticon. I know you avoid them as a rule. So do I. :)
  • Post #57 - May 12th, 2007, 2:51 pm
    Post #57 - May 12th, 2007, 2:51 pm Post #57 - May 12th, 2007, 2:51 pm
    Hi,

    I was cleaning out my purse to find the usual take-out menus, a pair of chopsticks and much to my surprise a metal spoon buried deep. It took me a few days before I recalled how it got there: I brought yogurt to the last election day.

    What do I usually need and almost never have in my purse: a pen.

    I guess I have my priorities.

    Regards,
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #58 - May 12th, 2007, 3:44 pm
    Post #58 - May 12th, 2007, 3:44 pm Post #58 - May 12th, 2007, 3:44 pm
    You read a financial newspaper daily, but the only thing you make a note on is the letter to the editor on British bacon versus American bacon.
    Where there’s smoke, there may be salmon.
  • Post #59 - May 12th, 2007, 6:39 pm
    Post #59 - May 12th, 2007, 6:39 pm Post #59 - May 12th, 2007, 6:39 pm
    I think I had this knowledge hit me hard today.

    I went into Pasticceria Natalina today to spend money I shouldn't spend on pastries (and oh...i just remembered my Baba au Rhum I have in the fridge for after dinner!!!) and I mentioned to Natalie that I had heard about her pastries because i post on LTH...

    She smiled so big and wide -- she said, "oh i love you guys" and told me how much it's meant to her that we love her pastries so much. Apparently LTH gave them some great encouragement as they've broken in the store...

    I felt really really proud to be a member of this community -- she was just so dang pleased to hear the name, you know? And then of course I swallowed my sfogliatelle down so quickly it barely registered to the world and my first bite of my Barca with the sour cherry topping made me practically fly. Oh incredibly good is that pastry, anyhow?

    Time to stop wasting time writing and getting a move on to my Baba au rhum....


    shannon
  • Post #60 - May 12th, 2007, 8:30 pm
    Post #60 - May 12th, 2007, 8:30 pm Post #60 - May 12th, 2007, 8:30 pm
    When, after unpacking your bag in Ogunquit ME and noticing that you've left your damn Fujifilm digital camera proprietary USB cable behind in Montreal, you anxiously call the largest photo shoppe in Portland to see what they can do for you, because otherwise you won't be able to download and edit the shots you're going to take in order to post a Southern Maine Seacoast piece on LTH. They fixed me up, and it was only about an hour and a half drive, roundtrip. Small price.

    Geo

    PS. The piece will follow in 10 days or so--had some GOOD seafood there. (Surprise, surprise :)
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more