LTH Home

National Chains -- What's Good

National Chains -- What's Good
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 4
  • Post #31 - October 20th, 2004, 4:57 pm
    Post #31 - October 20th, 2004, 4:57 pm Post #31 - October 20th, 2004, 4:57 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:The Checker's I visited a few times was on Western south of Irving Park. It was a hamburger, which tasted great if you ate it promptly. Something changed for the worse if you bought it and transported it even a few minutes before eating. Since I was usually picking up hamburgers for my Grandfather, I quickly gave up on using them as a hamburger source.

Eaten promptly, Checker's was a pretty good greasy hamburger.

Come to think of it, I guess I always had Checkers, at the location mentioned a few blocks north of Addison as well as another next to the Popeyes by Loyola, promptly after frying either at the indoor stand-up counters or outside somewhere within walking distance. Still, that latest excursion into Checkers madness occurred while eating in the parking lot after a drive-thru: degrees of magnitude off my experience from seven or eight years ago.
  • Post #32 - October 20th, 2004, 5:01 pm
    Post #32 - October 20th, 2004, 5:01 pm Post #32 - October 20th, 2004, 5:01 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:...I was driving on Devon Avenue on Saturday. Just east of California on the south side of the street was HFC - Halal Fried Chicken. I can only guess it will be somewhat more expensive than KFC, due to the cost of Halal chickens, but this place is worth checking out soon.

Interesting. I wonder if I'll just substitute my next Popeyes run with some HFC and a mystery side. 8) Regardless, it wouldn't be too much trouble for me to pick up a menu (if they have one), even if I don't order some food. Let me know if you want to see what they have on tap.
  • Post #33 - October 20th, 2004, 5:33 pm
    Post #33 - October 20th, 2004, 5:33 pm Post #33 - October 20th, 2004, 5:33 pm
    FFS wrote: Let me know if you want to see what they have on tap.

Absolutely ... by the way, have you gone to Evanston Fried Chicken? Someone offered me a 2 for 1 coupon which expires at the end of the month. Maybe you want to meet up for dinner sometime ... weren't you the person inquiring about eating in at EFC?

My life frees up after Saturday!
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #34 - October 20th, 2004, 10:57 pm
    Post #34 - October 20th, 2004, 10:57 pm Post #34 - October 20th, 2004, 10:57 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Absolutely ... by the way, have you gone to Evanston Fried Chicken? Someone offered me a 2 for 1 coupon which expires at the end of the month. Maybe you want to meet up for dinner sometime ... weren't you the person inquiring about eating in at EFC?

Was EFC the equivalent of the Chicken Shack discussed so fervently a while back? Either way, I must make a pilgrimage at one point or another, and a coupon deal sounds like just the reason to go. (Yeah, coupons are a strangely compelling device to inspire further dining; I have been known to carry around more than my fair share in my wallet.) If a trip to Evanston's not that much of a chore, I'd be glad to share some chicken with you.

Cathy2 wrote:My life frees up after Saturday!

Hmm, how does a weeknight sound (besides this Tuesday)? I'm pretty flexible. Does that coupon allow for a 4-for-2 (or 6-for-3) special? Oh, and are you interested in coming with us, hattyn? I suppose there will be other Evanston opportunities (like, for me, finally visiting Cross Rhodes) in the future, but I think that deep-fried hole-in-the-wall has been on my mind for well over a decade. If we're still hungry, I suppose we could hit up the Little Caesar's on Dempster for some good ol' Crazy Bread. :lol: Just some suggestions...

Other than that, I hit up the Pita Inn (also on Dempster) for the first time tonight. Very nice chicken shawarma, awesome value. Have the forum to thank for all the past shawarma-ish posts. Lookin' forward to eating with you, Cathy[2].

--The Fast Food Snob (aka "Dan")
  • Post #35 - October 20th, 2004, 11:20 pm
    Post #35 - October 20th, 2004, 11:20 pm Post #35 - October 20th, 2004, 11:20 pm
    LOL!

Foodsnob, I was sure you were a woman. The mind's eye fools me once again!

Evanston Chicken Shack is indeed the place we were discussing sometime ago. I've gone twice since then and willing to go thrice!

If you are in the mood to meander ... I have wanted to try the hot chocolate at:

Marly Chocolates
    527 Davis Street
    Evanston, IL 60201
    847-328-3333

I was at a lecture with the French Couple last winter, where the owner of Marly's spoke. A terrifically cold night where walking a block was simply torturous. Anyway, she makes a hot chocolate which I have been dreaming about ever since: chocolate melted into hot milk (or was it cream?), it sounded divine. You want a darker hot chocolate, they simply adjust the price slightly higher and melt in more chocolate.

Gracious of you to ask Hattyn, I sent her an e-mail earlier inviting her along, also. Who knows maybe even Zim, BobS or Leek may want to join us for Chicks and Chocolate ... or anything else people would like to do. So Tuesday is out for you, I am pretty much freed up next week. Hattyn this is your neighborhood ... if you care to join us ... I can pick you up in my Chickmobile!

I haven't seen the coupon, all I know it is 2 for 1, which knocks down the price somewhat. Usually, we order and split the cost by how many people are present.

Almost went to the Pita Inn on Saturday, then detoured to Larsa instead. Something I will comment about when my time is loosened.

Great fun to meet some new people!
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #36 - October 20th, 2004, 11:48 pm
    Post #36 - October 20th, 2004, 11:48 pm Post #36 - October 20th, 2004, 11:48 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:LOL!

Foodsnob, I was sure you were a woman. The mind's eye fools me once again!

Heh, that's awesome. I wonder what would happen if I ran my posts into that gender-determining thing discussed a while back.

Cathy2 wrote:Evanston Chicken Shack is indeed the place we were discussing sometime ago. I've gone twice since then and willing to go thrice!

Now that's what I like to hear about a place.

Cathy2 wrote:If you are in the mood to meander ... I have wanted to try the hot chocolate at:

Marly Chocolates

Hmm, hot chocolate after fried chicken (and, I presume, a carbonated beverage of some sort)... could work, especially if the temperature precipitously dips once again. I can smell the chicken already!
  • Post #37 - October 21st, 2004, 9:21 am
    Post #37 - October 21st, 2004, 9:21 am Post #37 - October 21st, 2004, 9:21 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Gracious of you to ask Hattyn, I sent her an e-mail earlier inviting her along, also. Who knows maybe even Zim, BobS or Leek may want to join us for Chicks and Chocolate ... or anything else people would like to do.

Alas, the only times I'll be leaving the apartment in the next 10 days will be to go places that can show me the World Series. Of course, with Fox's screwy schedule for the Series, we could probably stock up on food and head back to my apartment, but my shushing everyone every time a batter came to the plate would probably get old fast. (As would my company if the Sox were to fall behind.) I will re-emerge from my cocoon once the postseason is over, I promise!
  • Post #38 - October 21st, 2004, 12:13 pm
    Post #38 - October 21st, 2004, 12:13 pm Post #38 - October 21st, 2004, 12:13 pm
    jlawrence01 wrote:I wouldn't wait 30 minutes to eat at any restaurant, period.

I waited 40 minutes to get a table for 1 at Chez Panisse Cafe as a walk-in, and it was definitely worth it.

Cracker barrel, though? No. It's a gift shop masquerading as a restaurant.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #39 - October 21st, 2004, 2:20 pm
    Post #39 - October 21st, 2004, 2:20 pm Post #39 - October 21st, 2004, 2:20 pm
    If you have the time to wait 40 minutes to spend your money, go right ahead. Life's too short to wait in line to eat.

Personally, I am finding less and less reason to eat out as the food at home is generally better.
  • Post #40 - October 22nd, 2004, 12:05 pm
    Post #40 - October 22nd, 2004, 12:05 pm Post #40 - October 22nd, 2004, 12:05 pm
    Popeyes: Best chain fried chicken by about 20 orders of magnitude, but more importantly, they make crazy good onion rings, with real onion slices and a very light batter. Not all locations have them, and the staff at some of the locations that do don't particularly appreciate it when you ask for them (I think they're pretty labor-intensive), but if you can get 'em, you definitely should.

Original Pancake House: Not sure how national this chain is, but their buckwheat pancakes (and other varieties) are wonderful.
  • Post #41 - October 22nd, 2004, 1:38 pm
    Post #41 - October 22nd, 2004, 1:38 pm Post #41 - October 22nd, 2004, 1:38 pm
    I wish we had Sonic Drive-in up here. I love their pancake-on-a-stick.
  • Post #42 - October 24th, 2004, 10:44 pm
    Post #42 - October 24th, 2004, 10:44 pm Post #42 - October 24th, 2004, 10:44 pm
    Culver's are as good as you can get for fast food. They're one of the reasons I don't mind long trips in the Midwest, having saved me the horror of having to eat McDonalds or Burger King in places like Rock Falls, Illinois, and Mauston, Wisconsin. Back east, we don't get such luxuries--try finding something edible within a mile of the highway in Clifton Park, New York or Kutztown, Pennsylvania.

Steak 'n Shake makes a mean burger, too. And their shakes are really good, edging out Culver's by a thin margin. Culver's frozen custard, however, holds its own against any mass-produced ice-cream product.
  • Post #43 - October 25th, 2004, 5:08 pm
    Post #43 - October 25th, 2004, 5:08 pm Post #43 - October 25th, 2004, 5:08 pm
    C2,ffs and anyone else,

Still on for Thursday?At what time?I am waiting to confirm with two people and for them 5:45 would be good.For me,the time is no problem.Perhaps this should be moved to events.
  • Post #44 - October 27th, 2004, 7:22 pm
    Post #44 - October 27th, 2004, 7:22 pm Post #44 - October 27th, 2004, 7:22 pm
    Nobody mentioned Hardees, probably because they aren't in the Chicago area, but they are common in Indiana and the rest of the South. In the last year they have changed their menu completely. Their two burger sizes now are 1/3 lb. and 1/2 lb., all Angus beef, and darn good. Mammoth chicken filet sandwich also good, lots of black pepper.
  • Post #45 - October 27th, 2004, 8:13 pm
    Post #45 - October 27th, 2004, 8:13 pm Post #45 - October 27th, 2004, 8:13 pm
    Hi,

Hardees seems to specialize in less population dense areas, where McDonalds and Burger King won't go. They're on the Indiana Toll Road as well as small towns in Illinois. I just went over to anywho.com to see how many Hardee's listings there were in Illinois: 152 ... admittedly some are businesses with names close but most are Hardee's as in hamburgers and chicken.

Several years ago, we received a blind solicitation to open a Hardee's. I don't know if my neighbors and I all received the same solicitation or if I filled out a response card (which I strongly doubt), but it was fun to muse through their brochure.

Hardee's - a lot closer than you thought!! :D
    Cathy2

• Post #46 - October 27th, 2004, 10:18 pm
    Post #46 - October 27th, 2004, 10:18 pm Post #46 - October 27th, 2004, 10:18 pm
    There was a 24 hr. Hardees near me when I lived in Norfolk. Loved to power down a few steak (breaded and fried with lots of black pepper), egg, and cheese biscuits after a hard night of drinking.

:twisted:
  • Post #47 - October 29th, 2004, 8:48 am
    Post #47 - October 29th, 2004, 8:48 am Post #47 - October 29th, 2004, 8:48 am
    Fried clams at HoJo's. I actually made my husband stop on our road trip honeymoon at HoJo's so I could have a clam roll. He was incredulous, but agreed, and tomorrow it will be 22 years.
  • Post #48 - October 29th, 2004, 10:00 am
    Post #48 - October 29th, 2004, 10:00 am Post #48 - October 29th, 2004, 10:00 am
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned the frosties at Wendy's. Their fries aren't bad either. Nor their chicken nuggets for that matter....

My friend has been raving to me about Popeye's chicken, and I have yet to try it. Anyone know if the location at Clark/Division is fairly decent? That's the only one I've seen in my area.

There was a mention of Grandy's awhile back. I used to live in Texas, where there seems to be a Grandy's every mile or so. I loved their fried okra!

It's more of a regional chain (though I wish it was national), but Braum's Ice Cream and Dairy Store served the best burgers imho. Ice cream was pretty good, too, but I remember the burgers and onion rings best. It's a family-run operation, and all of their products come from their own farms and ranches. They could give In-and-Out a run for their money in a head to head competition.
  • Post #49 - January 6th, 2006, 1:46 pm
    Post #49 - January 6th, 2006, 1:46 pm Post #49 - January 6th, 2006, 1:46 pm
    Arby's has GREAT curly fries!

Hardees Frisco Burger

McDonalds Hot Fudge Sundae

Taco Bell tacos (only if consumed in mass qauntity)
    The clown is down!
  • Post #50 - January 6th, 2006, 2:44 pm
    Post #50 - January 6th, 2006, 2:44 pm Post #50 - January 6th, 2006, 2:44 pm
    JeanneBean wrote:Taco Bell tacos (only if consumed in mass qauntity)

My all time favoite Taco Bell offering is their Double Decker Supreme. I love the soft taco smeared with beans and wrapped around the hard shell taco.

I used to fool myself I was eating something *healthy* when I had their taco salad in the fried bowl. As much as I liked the combination, I didn't like the 900+ calorie hit.

Roy Rogers used to have this great apple crumb dessert.

When Poppin Fresh/Baker's Square used to have heavy cream as an option to enjoy with your pie slice.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #51 - January 6th, 2006, 11:08 pm
    Post #51 - January 6th, 2006, 11:08 pm Post #51 - January 6th, 2006, 11:08 pm
    In N' Out Burger is by far the best (and one of the only "chain" places I'll eat at). If you're feeling particularly glutonous, order the 4X4 - animal style off of their "secret menu".
  • Post #52 - January 6th, 2006, 11:33 pm
    Post #52 - January 6th, 2006, 11:33 pm Post #52 - January 6th, 2006, 11:33 pm
    McDonald's - Love the Big Macs, the Quarter Pounders with Cheese and the french fries. But why oh why did they let the fried apple pie get replaced by the awful baked version.

Arby's - Gotta love the Arby sauce and especially the Horsey sauce.

Burger King - Give me the Bacon Croissanwich with some of those crispy, crunchy french toast sticks and an order of those round hash brown disks. Still sounds lighter than that omelette sandwich.

Portillo's - Is it nat'l now that they have a location in CA? Anyway, in order, I'll take an order of rings, a beef and cheddar croissant with hot peppers, a cheeseburger, fries and a polish.

Taco Bell - bring back Cinnamon Crispas!!!

Stuckey's - when I was a child and we took trips as a family, I would drive my parents crazy making them stop at every Stuckey's so that I could get my Pecan Log Rolls and Divinity.

Waffle House - I spent my late nights in college chowing down their biscuits and gravy.

Au Bon Pain - those sweet corn muffins are amazing.

Pizza Express (a/k/a Pizza "Distress") - I think they were located in multiple states. But in any event, when I was in college and not enjoying biscuits and gravy, I was eating their breadsticks and dipping them in the accompanying cheese sauce.

Red Lobster - haven't been in so long, but always loved those hushpuppies and lobster is lobster, isn't it???

Sambo's - gone but not forgotten. What the heck was tiger butter anyway?

Ponderosa - another family road trip spot when I was a kid. Sure I'd be scared to taste it today, but it brings back so many fond memories . . . especially that Texas Toast.

Garcia's Pizza - maybe only in Champaign, IL and Bloomington, IN but their pizza was amazing, especially the Gutbuster.
  • Post #53 - January 10th, 2006, 9:49 am
    Post #53 - January 10th, 2006, 9:49 am Post #53 - January 10th, 2006, 9:49 am
    My husband and I frequent Saugatuck MI quite a lot and we always wind up in Holland MI where there is this tasty chain called Hot N' Now. Any thoughts?
    Tasty burgers!
    The clown is down!
  • Post #54 - January 21st, 2006, 1:05 am
    Post #54 - January 21st, 2006, 1:05 am Post #54 - January 21st, 2006, 1:05 am
    Sorry, but Chipotle tortillas, like TB, seem wet and flabby to me and the tortilla might be my favorite part of a burrito. Too many preservatives or something?
  • Post #55 - January 21st, 2006, 2:24 am
    Post #55 - January 21st, 2006, 2:24 am Post #55 - January 21st, 2006, 2:24 am
    JeanneBean wrote:My husband and I frequent Saugatuck MI quite a lot and we always wind up in Holland MI where there is this tasty chain called Hot N' Now. Any thoughts?
    Tasty burgers!

Hot N' Now was a concept purchased by Taco Bell (no kidding) that was Pepsico's first attempt to get into the hamburger business. They originally
    attempted to acquire Burger King. Obviously, they never made the mark they expected to and were spun off.

The remaining units in Michigan recently went into bankruptcy and the assets were sold off.
  • Post #56 - January 31st, 2006, 2:48 am
    Post #56 - January 31st, 2006, 2:48 am Post #56 - January 31st, 2006, 2:48 am
    I don't eat much fast food these days, so some of this is from memory.

For fried chicken: Brown's, and then Popeye's. The breading on Brown's is good enough to eat solo. Also, Harold's, but it tastes a little too salty to me. I also love the gizzards at Brown's. The only chicken I like at KFC are their tasty little fried wings covered in barbeque sauce.

For Mexican food: here in the southern suburbs, there's a number of small places called "Burrito Station". I love their tacos de pollo con salsa verde. Also their tacos de chiles rellenos & tortas de milanesa.

Wendy's used to have a tasty Greek Pita salad that I loved & always ordered. I just couldn't believe when they phased it out, as I ate enough of them to be profitable.

Portillo's - one of my daughters simply HAS TO eat there when she's home from school & it's always the fried chicken patty on the croissant sandwich.

Dunkin Donuts: An iced Coffee Coolatta in the summertime with a bran muffin is livin' large for me.

Going back a few years... A&W root beer -- 'nuff said. Also, Dog 'n Suds for Charcoburgers or a Coney Dog. And their root beer, too.

Ricobene's for their breaded steak sandwich.

Guilty pleasure: Olive Garden for salad and bread sticks. Also, Taco Bell's Beef Taco Supreme with sour cream & guacamole.

BTW, there's a Long John Silver's in South Chicago Heights -- never eaten there though. There's also a Dog 'n Suds still open in Lafayette, IN.
  • Post #57 - January 31st, 2006, 11:14 am
    Post #57 - January 31st, 2006, 11:14 am Post #57 - January 31st, 2006, 11:14 am
    Carl's Jr. / Hardees: criss cut fries. so ick. so good. i haven't had it in a coupla years thos...

Jack in the Box: mint chocolate chip shake...

Arby's: jamocha shake... the single reason why i'd own an Arby's franchise. i think i've had jamocha shakes in every state between LA and NYC...
  • Post #58 - January 31st, 2006, 1:58 pm
    Post #58 - January 31st, 2006, 1:58 pm Post #58 - January 31st, 2006, 1:58 pm
    mmm...Long Dong Silver's: a roadfood guilty pleasure. Where else can you have a plate of chicken and fish nigh undistinguishable from one another? Just gimme a mound of crispies and some malt vinegar. They're the suburban American version of tempura. :twisted:
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie
  • Post #59 - January 31st, 2006, 3:30 pm
    Post #59 - January 31st, 2006, 3:30 pm Post #59 - January 31st, 2006, 3:30 pm
    bob kopczynski wrote:Long John Silvers - another vanishing breed in our area.I think roselle still has one. The fish is good and made to order usually.

There's one right by me on Cicero and Fullerton. I also know of one across from PetSmart by the Brickyard.
    When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!
  • Post #60 - January 31st, 2006, 4:33 pm
    Post #60 - January 31st, 2006, 4:33 pm Post #60 - January 31st, 2006, 4:33 pm
    Fujisan wrote:
    bob kopczynski wrote:Long John Silvers - another vanishing breed in our area.I think roselle still has one. The fish is good and made to order usually.

There's one right by me on Cicero and Fullerton. I also know of one across from PetSmart by the Brickyard.

In fact way down South 'round Mattoon, IL way there's the wonderland known as the Long John Silver/A&W hybrid(a prototype). Yum: hushpuppies AND a deeply frosted mug of rootbeer; so cold, in fact, that any soda drizzles freeze on contact with the outside of the glass...and it makes it's own "ice."
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more